• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emmanuel Macron refuses any renegociations of the Paris accord

giphy.gif

lmao fuck i came here to post the same shit

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
How the fuck did Le Pen get over 30% of the votes when this guy was an option...?

not really a fan of macron's plan (still wa better than lepen, no ones argues that, but the two candidates weren't the greatest choice you can have), and seeing people judging him for one-two speech is weird...

sure he said some pretty good shit here, inspiring even, he has balls and he can be applauded for that, he really has the profile to be a president, way more than fuckin hollande

but you shouldn't judge a politician just on that, (i understand that compared to trump, he seems like the best things ever, but that's not hard)

Hope i'm not killing the mood, i'm still liking what he said in this speech

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Macron is awesome. Really glad someone is putting their foot down regarding this.

I voted with little enthusiasm for Macron because I felt he was the only sane option but after only a few weeks, I'm starting to feel pretty happy about my vote and this might the first time this has ever happened, lol. These are just words of course, and he's just getting started, but he might be all right after all.

KonradLaw

Renegotiations make no sense and everybody knows it. It will take Trump 3 years to leave the deal, which means if you don't reneg then the hopefully next president will just go back to original deal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Almost every single developed signatory put out a similar press statement - even Theresa May (after much prompting and ridicule) and the UK is the US' lapdog. Why is doing something nearly every other developed country has also done super-amazing when it comes to Macron specifically? Why is there no equivalent thread for Merkel's statement or Gentiloni's?

I am liking this guy more and more.

Translation:
Emmanuel Macron also invited American scientists and entrepreneurs to come work in France. "To all the scientists, entrepreneurs, engaged citicizens that were disappointed by the US president's decision," he assured them that they would "in France, find a second nation." "I am calling you: come work here, with us, on concrete solutions about climate," he added. "Tonight, America has turned its back on America, but France will never turn its back on Americans," Emmanuel Macron added.​

Daaaaamn

I like this guy.

Almost every single developed signatory put out a similar press statement - even Theresa May (after much prompting and ridicule) and the UK is the US' lapdog. Why is doing something nearly every other developed country has also done super-amazing when it comes to Macron specifically? Why is there no equivalent thread for Merkel's statement or Gentiloni's?

I think it's because Macron is what was standing between Europe and a disaster

20-trump-putin-lepen.0cu8b.jpg

So, his voice in this moment is something people want to hear as it's exactly what people were hoping for with his election.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

So, his voice in this moment is something people want to hear as it's exactly what people were hoping for with his election.
Source for this picture? 0_o

Source for this picture? 0_o

Just google search the image.

It's apparently a russian reporter (hahahaha russian reporter) holding up this stupid painting that circulated months back when everyone thought Le DipShit could win.

Macron sounds so good so far. I don't get the hate he got from a lot of "liberal" or leftist people.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

He took less than Chirac did in his second round. I'm not sure this is 'exactly' what people were hoping to hear.

Macron's PR game is good, but so far he's just another Trudeau - all talk and bluster, no delivery. I find this fetishising of him bizarre.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
France continuing to be awesome.

I have now forgiven them for Thierry Henry's handball. I never thought I would say that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
He took less than Chirac did in his second round. I'm not sure this is 'exactly' what people were hoping to hear.

Macron's PR game is good, but so far he's just another Trudeau - all talk and bluster, no delivery. I find this fetishising of him bizarre.
He's actually a doer, the total opposite of what you describe. He's the most pragmatic politician and if you pay attention from now on, or watch documentaries about him, you'll now it soon enough.

I don't believe the Paris Accords actually do anything to "save the planet" - more specifically, keep the environment habitable for human beings as they are now, the planet will be just fine with or without humans. They are just an empty feels good gesture that makes everyone feel smug about how we all came together to do good, without actually implementing a single thing that is demonstrably going to have any significant impact on greenhouse gas emissions or temperature change. The only two actionable items in the Paris accords are creating a 100 billion fund and requiring every country to report its greenhouse gas emissions, nothing about what happens if you go over your "allocation". Out of the 195 countries that signed up, 180 will receive money from the fund and only 15 will be paying into the fund so not really much of a surprise that everyone is for it.

That said, if the Paris Accords really were meant to reverse climate change, why would they not be open to negotiation? That tactic only is used when you want to win your side of an argument. If it truly was the only way to save humanity from extinction, its a weird attitude to take -- "NO NEGOTIATIONS!".

guggnichso

Banned
I don't believe the Paris Accords actually do anything to "save the planet" - more specifically, keep the environment habitable for human beings as they are now, the planet will be just fine with or without humans. They are just an empty feels good gesture that makes everyone feel smug about how we all came together to do good, without actually implementing a single thing that is demonstrably going to have any significant impact on greenhouse gas emissions or temperature change. The only two actionable items in the Paris accords are creating a 100 billion fund and requiring every country to report its greenhouse gas emissions, nothing about what happens if you go over your "allocation". Out of the 195 countries that signed up, 180 will receive money from the fund and only 15 will be paying into the fund so not really much of a surprise that everyone is for it.

That said, if the Paris Accords really were meant to reverse climate change, why would they not be open to negotiation? That tactic only is used when you want to win your side of an argument. If it truly was the only way to save humanity from extinction, its a weird attitude to take -- "NO NEGOTIATIONS!".

There can be no further weakening of the Paris accords (which is what a renegotiation ultimately would mean), because they are already the absolute minimum. Which the US under Obama made sure of.

KonradLaw

It's because Macron also trolls Trump when he does this. And if there's one thing internet loves it's a good troll.

The countries who are paying are the majority of the polluters. The money is meant to speed up renewable energy for poorer countries so they skip the industrialisation we had directly into a cleaner version.

And a 100 billion is NOTHING compared to the complete world wealth. For example, the Iraq war cost 20 times that number.

Native English speakers in America are frequently told by non-natives that our language has too many cryptic exceptions and that many other languages are easier with more consistent rules. You've never encountered this belief before?

Only republicans have succeeded in making global warming this partisan. Countries with functional government rarely shun science as liberal propoganda

Unfortunately American conspiracy theories are now influencing more and more Canadian citizens by the day. It's fucking getting absurd here.

Nasbin

Merkel and Gentiloni didn't broadcast their statements on video in English from the Élysée. Nor did they make statements directly inviting U.S. climate scientists and researches to make Germany or Italy their second home, as far as I'm aware. Macron is the new guy in town and he's making a very good show of the unabashed flair he's brought to the French presidency.

Dear Americans,

The netherlands has a very real shortage of IT people. Move here and be one of us. you'll get 30% tax free income if you score your job while still living abroad. Shit my company desperately needs people, if you're willing to move and are not garbage in IT, there's your easy ticket.

All that 'but I don't speak the language' stress of France and Germany doesn't really apply here, at least for the first few years.
Bruh, that sounds so nice right now.
This Trump nonsense is driving me so hard to get my degree done.

I have no idea what his presidency is going to ultimately lead to, but this guy really has balls of steel. I mean, first he out alphas Trump on his trip, then he makes a video telling the US directly that he wants their best in France, and now he's just like, fuck that, we aren't making no deals. I'm just waiting for him to just flat out say, 'Fuck Donald Trump' and drop the mic.

I think he has to come out swinging after what happened during the election. If he hadn't called out Putin, etc when he had the chance, he would have seemed weak.

I mean, you can't sit next to the guy who tried to orchestrate your failure and be civil. Sometimes you have to be frank to ensure the other person knows you know what shit they were trying to pull and you won't stand for it.

theaface

There's something slightly off about the Trump picture. Can't put my finger on it...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

So on the one hand you think the Paris Accords are an "empty gesture that makes everyone feel smug about how we all came together to do good, without actually implementing a single thing that is demonstrably going to have any significant impact on greenhouse gas emissions or temperature change" but on the other hand you also think it would be good to renegotiate it to make it weaker.

Sure, that sounds logical to me.

Haha, thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't expecting that big a response :)

To be exact, Chinese is my mother tongue but I'm mainly speaking in English. So I'll be basing the difficulty of learning new language with it. Currently studying Aerospace, haven't decided where to go afterwards other than "not US or U.K. If possible"

Come to Toulouse!

It's the more or less the European hub for everything related to aerospace. All the big player are there.

It's sunny too x)

lupinko

Trudeau immediately threw out Bill C-24, he's the real deal.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Yes I think the opposition to Paris Accord has quite lazily been equalled to hating climate. You can still reduce your emissions without supporting the formation of an IMF type organisation redistributing wealth.

Time will tell whether USA will actually reduce emissions outside the agreement, I'd say Trump's climate change hoax comments do not give me great hope.

Merkel and Gentiloni didn't broadcast their statements on video in English from the Élysée. Nor did they make statements directly inviting U.S. climate scientists and researches to make Germany or Italy their second home, as far as I'm aware. Macron is the new guy in town and he's making a very good show of the unabashed flair he's brought to the French presidency.
On top of generally liking the guy, his optimistic outlook and the way he discourses, this was (and still is) my biggest expectation when voting for him: that he saw all this worldwide political turmoil as an opportunity for positive change for France and the EU in general. Again, we'll see how his policies go, but his international PR game is on point.

takriel

How the fuck did Trump get over 40% of the votes when he was who he is?

Hateful, stupid fucking scum. With a right to vote.
Pretty much. But you know, like Trump and LePen, this "scum" is a symptom, not the disease itself.

It's rather hard to define the disease in this case. Capitalism? Globalization?

Pretty much. But you know, like Trump and LePen, this "scum" is a symptom, not the disease itself.

It's rather hard to define the disease in this case. Capitalism? Globalization?

Lack of education, which then reinforces the symptoms to make even more people uneducated (because Republicans prefer uneducated people).

I am liking this guy more and more.

Translation:
Emmanuel Macron also invited American scientists and entrepreneurs to come work in France. "To all the scientists, entrepreneurs, engaged citicizens that were disappointed by the US president's decision," he assured them that they would "in France, find a second nation." "I am calling you: come work here, with us, on concrete solutions about climate," he added. "Tonight, America has turned its back on America, but France will never turn its back on Americans," Emmanuel Macron added.​

Daaaaamn

Shit, that almost brought a tear to my eye. Wish he was my president instead of that orange assclown.

Top Bottom