• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Attacked in Possible Hate Crime (Update: All Charges Dropped. Records Sealed. Chicago Mayor Not Happy.)

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
We have had people on this very site claim that "MAGA" hats and the entire "MAGA" slogan is just a harmless thing that has gotten blown out of proportion by the "Mainstream Media". Meanwhile others including myself have maintained that for some people it goes far beyond that.

This is just more proof that the "MAGA" slogan is alot more than harmless to some people. There is no way to dismiss this incident as being harmless.
I guess it is right, the MAGA slogan is alot more harmful to some people. Jussi going to be serving hard times thanks to MAGA. Another victim of Trump and MAGA winding up in jail, just can't escape the system.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
I wasn't referring to this case in particular. I'm talking about in general.
All virtues become bad when taken to their extremes.

And, perhaps, faith in your fellow man is also a virtue. But you took it to the extreme of not only instantly believing his story, but lashing out against those with reasonable concern over its veracity.

Just as skepticism can become paranoia, so too can trust become gullibility.

It’s just fascinating seeing someone so vigilantly and blindly toeing someone else’s political line. I genuinely hope, for even your own sake, that you can look back at this thread and go “jesus christ I was a fucking idiot.”

Dec 15, 2011
Haha, loving the fact that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is trying to memory wipe his disgraceful behaviour from the start of this thread and lacks the intellectual deftness to even get off the starting blocks.

What a clown.

Far from the only clown that honked around the start of this thread, but easily the one with the biggest horn.
(No, NI, that's not a compliment, Bozo).

May 22, 2018
Haha, loving the fact that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is trying to memory wipe his disgraceful behaviour from the start of this thread and lacks the intellectual deftness to even get off the starting blocks.

What a clown.

Far from the only clown that honked around the start of this thread, but easily the one with the biggest horn.
(No, NI, that's not a compliment, Bozo).
I like how you are intentionally choosing to ignore that I openly admitted I was wrong about this when the facts came out and said he needed to be in jail as soon as that happened so what I am saying here is nothing new.

But then again neither is you ignoring things that don't fit your.....how did you put it? Oh right. Your "already established narrative". :)

Jun 26, 2013
I like how you are intentionally choosing to ignore that I openly admitted I was wrong about this when the facts came out and said he needed to be in jail as soon as that happened so what I am saying here is nothing new.

But then again neither is you ignoring things that don't fit your.....how did you put it? Oh right. Your "already established narrative". :)
Okay, then what will you do to make sure you don't make the same mistake?

Admitting that you have a symptom is not the same as addressing the cause of your lack of restraint and skepticism.

Dec 15, 2011

I'm not ignoring them, I'm just keeping everything in perspective.

Your relentless unending spewing if hypocrisy, agenda and embarassingly cringe-worthy jabs at wit, versus that one fleeting instant when you were forced into a hall of mirrors and had to look at yourself in one of them.

You strike me as the kind of person that does someone else a single favour, and never ever lets them forget it for the rest of their life.

(Also, whilst I appreciate this is going to be a big challenge for you, you would do well to learn the difference between narratives and facts.)

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Healthy skepticism is a virtue. Casting doubt on anything and everything is not.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong. You always question everything. This makes you well rounded, and more informed. It also let's you avoid obvious pitfalls in life a ton of people fall into.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Trust no one absolutely, and always look for the other shoe to drop.

How many times have people fallen for a news story(this impacts you directly in this very thread)only to find out it was a half truth, or outright lie?

Read the story, reread the story several more times, find out how it impacts those who are reporting it, the companies they work for, and their political affiliations, and of course how it effects the bottom line of everyone involved. In the overwhelming majority of times, money is almost always at the root.(or power but the two are always intertwined)

You can only truly understand, and appreciate nuance, and context if you are a skeptic all of the time. Not only when it suits you, or fits into your own worldview. It's tough and I screw up from time to time as well because blinders are a powerful force, and everyone loves to hear good news that makes them smile even if the poison dagger has already pierced the skin.

I would rather be a little paranoid, and cautious, then blind, deaf, and dumb.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Wrong. Absolutely wrong. You always question everything. This makes you well rounded, and more informed. It also let's you avoid obvious pitfalls in life a ton of people fall into.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Trust no one absolutely, and always look for the other shoe to drop.

How many times have people fallen for a news story(this impacts you directly in this very thread)only to find out it was a half truth, or outright lie?

Read the story, reread the story several more times, find out how it impacts those who are reporting it, the companies they work for, and their political affiliations, and of course how it effects the bottom line of everyone involved. In the overwhelming majority of times, money is almost always at the root.(or power but the two are always intertwined)

You can only truly understand, and appreciate nuance, and context if you are a skeptic all of the time. Not only when it suits you, or fits into your own worldview. It's tough and I screw up from time to time as well because blinders are a powerful force, and everyone loves to hear good news that makes them smile even if the poison dagger has already pierced the skin.

I would rather be a little paranoid, and cautious, then blind, deaf, and dumb.
The Left already shows they have the capability to doubt and question, it's just limited to doubting and questioning their ideological opponents. They go through many -- if not all -- of the very steps you have detailed when it comes to something Trump says. When the DOJ agrees with Trump, then the DOJ is obviously corrupt too. When the FISA court validates Trump's "conspiracy" that the FBI was unfairly targeting him, well, Trump must've gotten to the FISA court, too. When Senators do not vote to impeach, due process was obviously not followed and their determination should not be believed.

The problem isn't skepticism.

The problem is ideologically-aligned skepticism, a special kind for the true believers to cling to in the latter stages of a cult's lifespan. It is a false skepticism that sometimes appears to be based on observable facts and common rules of rationality, but underneath the surface their skepticism is entirely informed by their cult's paradigm.

May 22, 2018
Okay, then what will you do to make sure you don't make the same mistake?

Admitting that you have a symptom is not the same as addressing the cause of your lack of restraint and skepticism.
I will wait longer for information to come out from all sides involved in an incident. It just depends on the incident in question and who is involved.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
What's the problem now?
”Depends on the incident in question and who is involved.”

That sounds like the exact mindset you had before.

MAGA hat kid accused of doing something racist = instantly assumed guilty.

Black gay person claims victimhood = instantly assumed truthful.

You should seek evidence in all circumstances. If there is no solid evidence presented, find it. If you cannot find it, ask why that may be the case.

News outlets aren’t your friend. The media lies to you, and you eat it up because you don’t want to think for yourself. The reason people can get away with spreading fake news is because people like you instantly believe it.

May 22, 2018
”Depends on the incident in question and who is involved.”

That sounds like the exact mindset you had before.

MAGA hat kid accused of doing something racist = instantly assumed guilty.

Black gay person claims victimhood = instantly assumed truthful.

You should seek evidence in all circumstances. If there is no solid evidence presented, find it. If you cannot find it, ask why that may be the case.

News outlets aren’t your friend. The media lies to you, and you eat it up because you don’t want to think for yourself. The reason people can get away with spreading fake news is because people like you instantly believe it.
I will seek evidence in all cases going forward. But whether or not I believe them is going to be based on who they are, the situation, and the evidence they have. I'm not going to wait for a verdict from a jury before I form an opinion though if that is what you are asking. That would be ridiculous. Everyone has opinions on crimes and accusations before such a thing happens. If it happens at all.

Dec 15, 2011
I will seek evidence in all cases going forward. But whether or not I believe them is going to be based on who they are, the situation, and the evidence they have. I'm not going to wait for a verdict from a jury before I form an opinion though if that is what you are asking. That would be ridiculous. Everyone has opinions on crimes and accusations before such a thing happens. If it happens at all.
Be wary of conflating your opinion with facts. 'Belief' is subjective. 'Truth' is objective. 'My Truth/Her Truth/Their Truth' is a flat-out lie.
Be wary of exaggerating the importance of your opinion, and downplaying facts that run against it
Be wary of favouring appeals to emotion over appeals for evidence.
Be wary of favouring the court of public opinion over the court of law.

So far, for every step forward you claim you will be taking, your are providing evidence of a step backwards that you have already taken.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
I'm not going to wait for a verdict from a jury before I form an opinion though if that is what you are asking.
No, and in fact I think I made it very clear what I suggest you should do:
———

Everyone has opinions on crimes and accusations before such a thing happens. If it happens at all.
Most people do not behave SO foolhardy in their underinformed/misinformed opinions that they actually proclaim that any other opinions are foolish and then imply that those opinions must stem from bigotry.

Think BEFORE speaking, not after.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Nobody_Important
Jun 26, 2013
I will wait longer for information to come out from all sides involved in an incident. It just depends on the incident in question and who is involved.
The first half is sensible until the second sentence. "Depends on the incident" opens up to hasty generalizations and "who is involved" opens up to ad hominems/genetic fallacies. Just because, for instance, a gay person is attacked, that does not automatically mean that the attacker is homophobic.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
It certainly depends on who it is.

For instance now that this guy has proved himself a liar that wastes taxpayer dollars, does no respect the law, and stokes racial resentment purely for his own material benefit, almost everyone can write off anything this man claims as probably bullshit. Just based on the mountain of prior evidence.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
Maybe while he's serving his inevitable sentence, the FBI will tie him to the letter as well. The guy sent himself a letter with a white powder substance and a threat to his life. They had to close down the building where they shoot the show and call in a HAZMAT unit...

How could they just let that one slide?

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
Juicy is a mentally ill liar who could have started something ugly. He deserves the book thrown at him. But i bet he gets community service that he can phone in.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
No, and in fact I think I made it very clear what I suggest you should do:

———

Most people do not behave SO foolhardy in their underinformed/misinformed opinions that they actually proclaim that any other opinions are foolish and then imply that those opinions must stem from bigotry.

Think BEFORE speaking, not after.
"It's better to remain silent and let people think your a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

• Thoughtful
  • Triggered
Reactions: slugbahr and Oner