'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Attacked in Possible Hate Crime (Update: All Charges Dropped. Records Sealed. Chicago Mayor Not Happy.)

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I urge people ITT to to listen to the last few episodes of the 'Reasonable Doubt' podcast with Adam Carolla and Mark Garagos. Garagos is the owner of the firm representing Smollett, and he gives you a deeper insight into the case than anybody else in the media is able to. The basic timeline from Smollett's side is that he was receiving steroids from the younger brother that was a personal trainer (which explains the reluctance with the phone records), and the older brother was a seriously homophobic.

I'm not saying that I agree with Smollett's lawyer's take on this incedent, but after 5+ hours of listening to a deep dive on this straight from the horse's mouth over the course of a month and a half, I agree that it's possible this guy is innocent of deliberately forging this hoax. I also don't trust the government of Chicago if they came out with a press release saying the sky is blue.

Of course the hoax narrative is still possible, but the narrative that his lawyers have put out is certainly possible.
How do they explain selecting a specific place [and visiting it] together, setting a time, them getting there early, the sandwich, etc.

Not buying it. I mean, sure, without all the info it's ultimately up in the air.

I also do not know if Garagos is a trustable source. In addition to having a clear bias, he's part of the whole Nike extortion scandal like @matt404au mentioned.

Sounds like FUD to me. Or UD in this case.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just let it go to trial.

Also, isn't Garagos involved in the Avenatti stuff?
No idea about Avenatti, but from my understanding the DA folded without much prodding from the defense. That doesn't happen unless the DA has literally nothing. Let's not forget that this is the Chicago machine we're talking about, you would be hard-pressed to find a more corrupt institution outside of DC itself.

I'm also not saying I agree 100% with the lawyer's argument, I'm just saying that the 30 second clips we see on the MSM are no way to convey an argument. It's possible that Smollett legitimately got jumped by those 2 brothers.

wzy

Dec 29, 2018
I urge people ITT to to listen to the last few episodes of the 'Reasonable Doubt' podcast with Adam Carolla and Mark Garagos. Garagos is the owner of the firm representing Smollett, and he gives you a deeper insight into the case than anybody else in the media is able to. The basic timeline from Smollett's side is that he was receiving steroids from the younger brother that was a personal trainer (which explains the reluctance with the phone records), and the older brother was a seriously homophobic.

I'm not saying that I agree with Smollett's lawyer's take on this incedent, but after 5+ hours of listening to a deep dive on this straight from the horse's mouth over the course of a month and a half, I agree that it's possible this guy is innocent of deliberately forging this hoax. I also don't trust the government of Chicago if they came out with a press release saying the sky is blue.

Of course the hoax narrative is still possible, but the narrative that his lawyers have put out is certainly possible.
Objection!

This wouldn't explain his lack of serious injury, even if I was willing to believe that violent, homophobic Nigerian is a better stereotype than prowling Trump supporter. Which, as someone committed to egalitarian multiculturalism and social equality, I am not. People who get jumped by roid hulks lose teeth and break orbital bones. They don't get boo-boos

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
How do they explain selecting a specific place [and visiting it] together, setting a time, them getting there early, the sandwich, etc.

Not buying it. I mean, sure, without all the info it's ultimately up in the air.

I also do not know if Garagos is a trustable source. In addition to having a clear bias, he's part of the whole Nike extortion scandal like @matt404au mentioned.
If a lawyer does not explicitly defend their client then they're a shitty lawyer.

Look, I'm not trying to tell anybody how to think. I'm just saying that there is 5+ hours of the lawyer in a high-profile case talking to an independent every-man that everybody can listen to for free. Also, all those points you mentioned are covered by Garagos himself, or the lawyer directly handling the case, and they all pass the horseshit test.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Objection!

This wouldn't explain his lack of serious injury, even if I was willing to believe that violent, homophobic Nigerian is a better stereotype than prowling Trump supporter. Which, as someone committed to egalitarian multiculturalism and social equality, I am not. People who get jumped by roid hulks lose teeth and break orbital bones. They don't get boo-boos
As I've said, I believe the narrative put out by his lawyer is plausible, not that I believe it 100%. I want people to listen to the lawyer himself, and come to their own conclusion.

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
I'm sure listening to a top lawyer talk for 5 hours about a case will make many people believe in the client's innocence. It's their job and they are far better trained in telling lies and twisting the facts then the average person is in detecting those lies. That's why you have trials where a prosecutor who does have the training is there to either object or present their own case.

Reactions: autoduelist

iamblades

Mar 5, 2007
As I've said, I believe the narrative put out by his lawyer is plausible, not that I believe it 100%. I want people to listen to the lawyer himself, and come to their own conclusion.
The thing about the narrative is that it absolutely does not exonerate him, even if it were 100% true. He still willingly lied about what happened to police and was willing to give false testimony that could put innocent people in jail before he realized they had the Nigerians in custody. He still lied to the media to try to incite racial and political division.

The bit about whether he paid them to stage the hoax in the first place is the least important element of the crime IMO, which is the only part that that narrative could be used to raise doubt about.

Reactions: cryptoadam

finowns

May 10, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/thousands-of-texts-emails-about-jussie-smollett-probe-made-public-by-states-attorney-kim-foxxs-office/ar-BBW1SBO?ocid=spartanntp

“Sooo… … I’m recused, but when people accuse us of overcharging cases … 16 counts on a class 4 (felony) becomes exhibit A,” Foxx said in a text message to Joseph Magats, her top assistant, on March 8.

Foxx went on in those texts to Magats to compare Smollett’s case to the office’s pending indictment of R&B singer R. Kelly on 10 charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

“Pedophile with 4 victims 10 counts. Washed up celeb who lied to cops, 16 (counts),” she wrote. “ … Just because we can charge something doesn’t mean we should.”

Texts between top-level prosecutors and its communications office show a scramble to coordinate their messaging and futilely try to tamp down the heated controversy.

“Just wish I could have anticipated the magnitude of this response and planned a bit better!” Assistant State’s Attorney Risa Lanier, the lead prosecutor on the high-profile case, texted Magats hours after the charges were dropped.

“There’s really no planning for this,” Magats responded. “It’s the right decision.”

“I agree and absolutely stand by the decision made,” Lanier replied.
More in the article. These people are so corrupt and Foxxxxxx knew exactly what she was doing.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I don't see what the big deal is about. Clearly its racism. Everyone is racist against Foxx. Leave her alone and stop being racist. And same with Jussi. He was only attacked because we are racist, and the fact that we don't believe his innocence means we are also racist.

If these racist would just drop it then everyone can get away with this crime. We just need to be less racist against these rich highly successful black people who suffer from oppression with their six figure salaries. I mean its goddamn racist to expect Jussi to survive of his meager salary or for Foxx to convict her good friend.

Maybe one day in America a black gay man can fake a hate crime against himself and a prosecutor can get him off scott free without racist white people giving them a hard time. I think due to all the racism that took place during this case we should throw 2 random white people in jail, especially Trump supporters.

/s

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Jussie was fuckin FRAMED my dudes. It was the Subway Sandwich Artist, HE PAID THE GOONS. Never trust a man offering you a footlong at midnight in subzero temps! And he would have gotten away with it, too!
How dare you blame a deli or it’s workers you Nazi Cunt! Roast beef, turkey or ham I’ll be damned if I am just going to ignore this. As Swiss as my witness, my hand to cheddar you will answer for this baloney.

Omg omg omg mods where are you?

Last edited:

pimentel1

Jul 22, 2018
Is Foxx next then? Not sure what to make off it completely.
Not yet. It’s that the people around Kim Foxx are resigning because they are noticing just how corrupt and anti-police she is.

At an April 6 rally for Foxx lead by The Rev. Jesse Jackson at his Rainbow Push headquarters on the south side of Chicago, Foxx posed for at least one picture and stood alongside known Chicago activist Jedidiah Brown.

Foxx’s office is currently prosecuting 32-year-old Brown for allegedly assaulting Chicago police officers David Alvarez and Jeffrey Shafer while Brown resisted arrest in July 2018.
Following the April event at Rainbow Push, Brown posted this picture with Foxx to Facebook with the caption "Let the record reflect, I stand with Kim Foxx. Blue Klux Klan we aren't going without a fight you'll never forget!"

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Jussie's own fault. He should've silently accepted the dropped case, but he had to go out and brag and feign innocence. Then the lawyers had to start blaming the brothers. Completely stupid. Not surprising in the least that Mark Geragos was involved in this one.

This is a wonderful example to the rest of the country: stay away from these ideologues. Do not vote for them. Do not support them. They wield social issues like weapons to be used against their opponents (instead of problems they could help solve).

When the hoax started to come out, some shifted gears to a cry of "oh, this makes the black community look bad. Think of all the real issues this is distracting from", but I think that's rather generous. A fake hate crime was dismissed without punishment (so far). Hate crimes must not really be a serious issue if faking them isn't taken seriously. We're not talking about some small town in Idaho. We're talking about Democrat-led, sancturary-city Chicago. If Democrats in Chicago don't take hate crimes seriously, how can they clutch their pearls and expect the rest of us to?

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Everyone knows that you don't blame someone else until they accept a settlement and agree not to comment on the matter. Jussie is changing the game right before our eyes.

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
The Nigerian American brothers are only suing for $75K each? I wonder what this move is about. A quick settlement? Or to help their public image and really drive the point home that Jussie did orchestrate this?

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Smollett is a grade A piece of shit and a sociopath for throwing these two under the bus. On top of that, he’s a fucking dumbass; did he really believe he could toss his accomplices under the bus and not have them return the favor?

Not that it will change anything really... everyone knows Jussie is a racist pile of manure, even those sticking up for him. And to watch him go out and spew shit like “our people” and “I wouldn’t be my mother’s son if I did this” lol dude stfu you’re embarrassing yourself even more than before.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

So the clowns who star on Empire are demanding FoxDisney bring Smollett back on the show.

I find it fascinating that a group of black people aren’t only not outraged and angered at what he did, they want to reward him for it. Is this what the word “justice” means to black Americans in 2019? Fake your own lynching and then buy off the freedom for having to answer for it? You’d think if anyone should be angry at having to work with a racist, liar, sociopath, it would be them, but they seem to love it, and maybe so do the people who watch this show, which raises some interesting concerns about the lens through which black America views the country.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013

Judge in Chicago tears into Kim Foxx's office for prosecuting a woman with felony charges who did something far less serious than Jussie.

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014

You spent five hours listening to Jussie's lawyer.

Jan 18, 2019

So the clowns who star on Empire are demanding FoxDisney bring Smollett back on the show.
Taraji has a history of false accusations regarding racial profiling and Howard has a history of beating women. That whole show is nothing but trash.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I drive a truck for a living, and listen to a lot of podcasts. One of them being Reasonable Doubt hosted by Adam Corolla and Mark Garagos. Garagos, the owner of the law firm representing Smolette, has been talking about this case every week for a few months.
What's Carolla's take? I feel like he would have been calling BS from moment one.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
What's Carolla's take? I feel like he would have been calling BS from moment one.
Pretty much where I'm at in which nothing makes any sense about this whole ordeal with the level of information we have access to, and that either narrative sounds plausible once Garagos states his case in a more substantial manner than a 30 second soundbite.

Reactions: Nymphae

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
Pretty much where I'm at in which nothing makes any sense about this whole ordeal with the level of information we have access to, and that either narrative sounds plausible once Garagos states his case in a more substantial manner than a 30 second soundbite.
What's the 30 second explanation of what happened? How is Jussie innocent? The brothers made all of this up and did attack him?

I'm sure the lawyer went into a ton of details about how Jussie could be innocent as it's a lawyers job to be able to paint that picture, but I assume there must be some actual short explanation of what actually happened then.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
What's the 30 second explanation of what happened? How is Jussie innocent? The brothers made all of this up and did attack him?

I'm sure the lawyer went into a ton of details about how Jussie could be innocent as it's a lawyers job to be able to paint that picture, but I assume there must be some actual short explanation of what actually happened then.
Yes, Smollett's lawyer's take is that the two brothers legitimately attacked him. They knew where he'd be due to Smollett coordinating with the younger brother to acquire illegal steroids for a music video he was preparing to shoot. The older brother was also known to hate homosexuals as per Empire cast and crew.

I want to reiterate that I don't believe this is what happened, just that I think it's a plausible explanation. This is still a he-said he-said, and I still think Smollett is a piece of shit at best even if he is innocent for his initial claims when he didn't know shit about who attacked him.

At the end of the day I don't have a dog in this fight other than not wanting to see a shithole like Chicago brazenly acting like the mafia after botching a criminal investigation.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Yes, Smollett's lawyer's take is that the two brothers legitimately attacked him. They knew where he'd be due to Smollett coordinating with the younger brother to acquire illegal steroids for a music video he was preparing to shoot. The older brother was also known to hate homosexuals as per Empire cast and crew.

I want to reiterate that I don't believe this is what happened, just that I think it's a plausible explanation. This is still a he-said he-said, and I still think Smollett is a piece of shit at best even if he is innocent for his initial claims when he didn't know shit about who attacked him.

At the end of the day I don't have a dog in this fight other than not wanting to see a shithole like Chicago brazenly acting like the mafia after botching a criminal investigation.
How does Smollett explain them calling him N and F bombs and calling him out saying this is MAGA country? Are we really to believe these two idiot brothers did all that too? Come on.