'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Attacked in Possible Hate Crime (Update: Smollett indicted on 16 felony counts for alleged hoax)

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
No, you can if you want. Especially if it is a funny joke. I mean, you still can even if it isn't funny but we might not laugh. If you're not sure if it's funny enough, just let us hear it and we will critique it for you. Please no retarded jokes though, put some thought into them.
Yet to see a funny joke about it. But hey, free speech, run with that, maybe you can specialize in prison rape jokes.

Aug 25, 2018
Yet to see a funny joke about it. But hey, free speech, run with that, maybe you can specialize in prison rape jokes.
Any rape joke is funnier then a personal attack “joke”.

Also comedy even if crass or distasteful is a matter of personal taste. Yes people are free to joke about whatever they want. Don’t like it, avoid it, simple.

Dec 12, 2013
You know I was thinking about how the regressive left constantly goes on about Trump "emboldening" racists and bigots, but so far I don't really see that in crime statistics. However it does seem that the regressive left narrative of victimhood which promotes, among other things, the idea of always believing "victims", has led to the increase of fake hate crimes. I truly believe people like Jussie feel emboldened to make shit up because they think they'll be believed no matter what because of their "victimhood" status.

Look at the #metoo movement, which started out with the good intentions of outing celebrities who used their positions of power to try and get sexual favors. Not only did it lead to demonizing any man that asked a girl for her number, but there was also a substantial number of women filing false rape charges against men who had their lives ruined because of it. To the point where some men no longer wanted to be alone with a woman in the workplace.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
You know I was thinking about how the regressive left constantly goes on about Trump "emboldening" racists and bigots, but so far I don't really see that in crime statistics. However it does seem that the regressive left narrative of victimhood which promotes, among other things, the idea of always believing "victims", has led to the increase of fake hate crimes. I truly believe people like Jussie feel emboldened to make shit up because they think they'll be believed no matter what because of their "victimhood" status.

Look at the #metoo movement, which started out with the good intentions of outing celebrities who used their positions of power to try and get sexual favors. Not only did it lead to demonizing any man that asked a girl for her number, but there was also a substantial number of women filing false rape charges against men who had their lives ruined because of it. To the point where some men no longer wanted to be alone with a woman in the workplace.
There's often a lot of projection going on by Democrats and what can loosely be described as their propaganda arms in the media. "Trump's the most divisive president..." Maybe so, but the polls show a greater percentage of the country blames the media for being divisive and while tribalism affects the blame placed on the political parties, that the Democrats and those in the media share many of the same views would put them equally at fault - look at how many of them pushed the initial Covington and Smollett stories, for example, not to mention the Kavanaugh mess.

"Russian collusion" coming from the party with shady ties to Russia. "Trump always lies" from media sources that they themselves make fact checker's heads spin daily. "Trump is racist/sexist" while Virginia's top three officials at the state level are refusing to step down amid racism and sexual assault allegations of their own, not to mention Al Franken, DNC's Keith Ellison and Hillary Clinton's own highly questionable past. "Trump is xenophobic" for wanting to secure the southern border - in other words, mitigate illegal border crossings, the exact same thing the Democratic party defended as an absolute necessity before comprehensive immigration reform could happen. "Trump's a fascist" while the erosion of liberty is coming from the left side of the aisle under the guise of "social justice."

I mean... how the hell does anyone take the Democrats seriously anymore without first admitting they're completely full of crap? They'd be best served just electing Bernie Sanders and hoping he can transform their party the same way Trump has been transforming the GOP.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Ellen Page weighs in, post-hoax, “Hate violence exists.”

“We, as LGBTQ+ people, are forced to fear for our safety because instances of hate violence... happen. They happen to us all the time,” the actress and LGBTQ activist wrote in a guest column for The Hollywood Reporter.

“The conversation around Jussie Smollett has led us all to examine hate violence and its implications and aftermath. I had no reason to doubt Jussie,” Page continued, adding that through her recent work on her TV docuseries “Gaycation” she has met many survivors of hate crimes.

“I know how prevalent and pernicious it can be,” she added. “If this situation was staged, it could make victims even more reluctant to report these crimes. Very real crimes.”

Hate crimes, like the one Smollett said happened to him, are on the rise: The FBI reported last year that hate crimes increased 17 percent from the year before.

“While the media and public debate the case and await more information, we must not lose sight of the very real, endemic violence that LGBTQ+ people, people of color and other underrepresented communities face every day,” Page wrote.

“I ask you not to question our pain, not to draw into question our trauma, but to maintain, wholeheartedly, that hate violence exists,” she wrote. “The merits of one case should not and cannot call that into question.”

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Personally, I agree with the spirit of Page’s statements, however I would really have felt better if she had a stronger condemnation of the hoax, and any similar hoax or attempted hoax.

While I understand the case is ongoing, I mean it looks really bad right now, period.

I think she could gain respect of people across both lines by first and foremost condemning the hoax and culture that enables crazy stupid people to think they could take advantage or capitalize on a fruitless need to demonize any and all Trump supporter or even Trump support, in general, THEN focus on ramifications for real victims of real crimes.

It’s kind of like earlier when I posted something like “Jussie really hurt the real victims out there, it’s a shame,” and I was countered with “that’s true, but it’s not the core issue of this hoax debacle,” which I agree with.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Personally, I agree with the spirit of Page’s statements, however I would really have felt better if she had a stronger condemnation of the hoax, and any similar hoax or attempted hoax.

While I understand the case is ongoing, I mean it looks really bad right now, period.

I think she could gain respect of people across both lines by first and foremost condemning the hoax and culture that enables crazy stupid people to think they could take advantage or capitalize on a fruitless need to demonize any and all Trump supporter or even Trump support, in general, THEN focus on ramifications for real victims of real crimes.

It’s kind of like earlier when I posted something like “Jussie really hurt the real victims out there, it’s a shame,” and I was countered with “that’s true, but it’s not the core issue of this hoax debacle,” which I agree with.
Why? The spirit of her statements is that starting a conversation about hate crimes that are so real and so prevalent that we have to make them up is more important than telling the truth.

May 15, 2018
its crazy how ideals fucking have hold over people. this hoax was done by a self centered person doing this for some kind of personal gain and not because hes trying to show that "hate crimes happen" and the people who support him of course cant go back and just say that he fucked up and makes their cause look bad. their before argument is the same as the after argument its just "still hate crimes happen!" you backed the guy in the first place take some fucking responsibility

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
its crazy how ideals fucking have hold over people. this hoax was done by a self centered person doing this for some kind of personal gain and not because hes trying to show that "hate crimes happen" and the people who support him of course cant go back and just say that he fucked up and makes their cause look bad. their before argument is the same as the after argument its just "still hate crimes happen!" you backed the guy in the first place take some fucking responsibility
This is what coddled children who never learned responsibility do when they reach adulthood. I’m being totally serious. They don’t know how to admit fault for anything so they just double down and try to deflect and misdirect.

Dec 15, 2011
Heh, without a single hint of irony, she points out the virtues of starting a conversation then finishes with a request to not question their pain or trauma. Can’t even make this shit up.
Excellent observation.
I notice how all the noise now is to further that already established narrative and gloss over what actually happened.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.
A virtuous lie is still a lie.

Aug 30, 2014
In other news, a women got 15 years today for beating a 91 year old man nearly to death with a brick in what many deemed a hate crime.

I wonder why this wasn't a national obsession? I can't figure it out.

https://abc7news.com/woman-gets-15-years-for-brutal-beating-in-socal/5161303/

"Laquisha Jones, 30, of Los Angeles was charged with felony elder abuse in December. Witnesses said Jones pummeled Rodolfo Rodriguez with a brick. He suffered a shattered jaw and broken ribs."

https://abc7.com/woman-gets-15-years-for-brutal-beating-in-willowbrook/5161265/

"Prosecutors said there was evidence in the case that showed it was a hate crime because Jones said "Go back to your country."

[Please note that I don't personally agree a flippant comment like that during an altercation rises to what most people think of when they picture a hate crime, which is why I think the phrase misrepresents some cases and overall frequency]

Last edited:
May 15, 2018
I wonder why this wasn't a national obsession? I can't figure it out.
because it isnt hate crimes people actually care about they care about a certain ideology being represented and certain peoples shown to be the victim and oppressor. the "i told you so". being right is more important than anything else

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
She’s lucky she didn’t have a friend with her. Under the new legal terminology, that brick attack would be called lynching.

Can you imagine if the first victim of a lynching under the new bill was a white guy? 😂
Imagine if Trump went through with the honorary gender change to be the first woman president then on her way home got lynched (current_year definition) by two transtrender activists.

Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Oh look. Nothing has been learned.
All we care about is #alreadyestablishednarrative and we'll smear you as 'reactionary' if you see fit to question it.
Wow.

“Hey, do you do your job properly?”

“No thank you.”

Professionalism and class.

PSA: As a news publication, you will lose respect and credibility if your response to a geniune inquiry is to stick your fingers in your ears and go “La la la la la, I can’t hear you”.

You might not be listening Alex Zielinski, but others are starting to.

Aug 30, 2014
Of all places, Portland is the least likely that this would happen.
It's more likely the SUV was an ice cream truck and stopped to give them free ice cream. I'm not even joking.

Even if true, that nobody helped is just as fantastical as the incident itself. No police report? No video? Did not happen.

-----

This did happen this week in Bradford UK though.

Please note the solid work by the security guard. Took me minute to find raw footage that wasnt blurred out.

Unless something has changed, the two sources I found last night said it wasnt being treated as a hate crime. Maybe that will change? This is the country that has arrested people for jokes and tweets.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
It's more likely the SUV was an ice cream truck and stopped to give them free ice cream. I'm not even joking.

Even if true, that nobody helped is just as fantastical as the incident itself. No police report? No video? Did not happen.

-----

Please note the solid work by the security guard. Took me minute to find raw footage that wasnt blurred out.

Great vantage point for beenbag or salt shot.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia

-----

Unless something has changed, the two sources I found last night said it wasnt being treated as a hate crime. Maybe that will change? This is the country that has arrested people for jokes and tweets.

What’s going on in that video?