'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Attacked in Possible Hate Crime

May 22, 2018
Updated article from ABC News

Harrowing details emerged in the Jussie Smollett case on Monday, nearly a week after the "Empire" actor told police that he was brutally attacked in what authorities are calling a possible hate crime in Chicago.

An initial incident report, released by the Chicago Police Department on Monday, revealed that a 60-year-old friend of Smollett called the police on his behalf and said the actor "did not want to report offense however he believed it to be in the best interest to."

Once they arrived, responding officers said they found Smollett at his home with stained clothing and "white rope draped around" his neck, according to the report, which ABC News obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request.

Smollett, who portrays a gay musician on Fox's "Empire," said the attack happened last Tuesday at around 2 a.m. as he was leaving a Subway restaurant. He told police that two attackers gained his attention by yelling racial and homophobic slurs and began to beat him "about the face with their hands," the report said.

They used their hands, feet, and teeth as weapons in the assault, according to the report.

"The primary aggressor was wearing a black mask concealing any facial features and both offenders were dressed in black," according to the report. "The victim does not remember any other distinguishing features of the offenders, or in which direction they fled," it added.

Although Smollett was unable to identify his alleged attackers, he did provide officers with an approximate height and weight for one of the assailants.

The incident report goes on to detail what the 36-year-old actor and singer told officers about the alleged assault, including information about a noose being placed around his neck and an unknown chemical, possibly bleach, being poured on him.

The report also confirmed that Smollett told police that he received "hate mail at his place of work" on Jan. 22, a week before the alleged attack took place.

The report surfaced just hours after Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted that investigators located "additional security cameras" that could help with the manhunt for suspects.

"Detectives continue to follow-up on investigative leads as additional security cameras have been located and footage is being downloaded and reviewed," Guglielmi said. "The people of interest have not been identified (as homeless or otherwise)."

Smollett returned to the stage for the first time since reporting the attack at a performance in California over the weekend.

"I'm not fully healed yet ... but I'm going to be, and I'm gonna stand strong with y'all," he told the cheering crowd.

He said his family and friends had urged him to cancel the performance, which was scheduled before the alleged incident, but he declined.

"I had to be here tonight, y'all. I couldn't let those [expletive] win," he said. "Regardless of what anyone else says, I will only stand for love and I hope that you all stand with me."
https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...ling-details-alleged-jussie/story?id=60842410

Also in a gesture of goodwill and to make sure people know I am not just cherrypicking my sources I am also gonna use this article from Fox News even though I do not trust them because they are reporting roughly the same information that ABC is.

Chicago police said Monday they had located additional surveillance cameras in the area where "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett allegedly was attacked last week.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the footage from those cameras was being "downloaded and reviewed." He added that two individuals seen in the area around the time Smollett said he was attacked -- and considered "people of interest" -- had not yet been identified "as homeless or otherwise." Guglielmi previously said investigators would go painstakingly through footage to reconstruct what Smollett said happened to him early on the morning of Jan. 29.

According to an initial police report obtained by Fox News, the 36-year-old Smollett, who is black and openly gay, told officers that he was accosted while walking to his apartment by two men who called him an "Empire f----t [n-word]." Smollett then said the men beat him and poured an "unknown chemical substance" on him, staining his clothes. The report said that when responding officers arrived, Smollett had a white rope draped around his neck, but the report did not specify whether his alleged attackers put the rope there.

The report also says that Smollett initially did not want to report the alleged attack, but his manager did so because "he believed it to be in the best interest."

That area of downtown Chicago has many hotels and restaurants and has widespread surveillance-video coverage, and although police have found footage of Smollett making his way home — including video of him arriving at his building with a rope around his neck — they haven't found footage of the attack or men fitting his description of his attackers. The police report said both men were dressed in black and one of them, referred to as the "primary aggressor," was wearing a black mask.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said during an appearance on WLS-TV Friday that Smollett has been "very cooperative and we have no reason at this point to think he's not being genuine with us." For his part, Smollett insisted in a statement Friday that he had been "100 [percent] factual and consistent on every level.

"Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served," he added.

On Saturday night, Smollett performed at a previously scheduled concert in West Hollywood, Calif., where he told the crowd that he was "not fully healed yet, but I'm going to be and I'm gonna stand strong with y'all."
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jussie-smollett-case-new-surveillance-cameras-footage-found

I will continue to update the OP as the story continues to evolve.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
You realize that literally anyone can gather abunch of similar links to throw at the Democrats or the Republicans right? Hell David Duke IS a Republican.

You are cherry-picking in order to try and prove a point. The same can be done for pretty much any other politically charged movement or boycott.
Hmm didn't you just write the above in the other thread?

May 22, 2018
Hmm didn't you just write the above in the other thread?
I'm not seeing a connection? "MAGA" has been associated with racism for over 2 years now. This is just another example that backs that up. There are dozens of such examples. What you were doing is cherry picking. This is not that. This is actual breaking news that backs up an already established narrative.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
I'm not seeing a connection?
Its just a hat though right?
seems like you are cherry picking, just like you said it can be done for any politically charged movement? Basically you are painting all MAGA hat wearers as racist, just what you argued against me doing.

For me throw the book at these guys for their crime. Disgusting and I hope that Jussie recovers quickly

Sep 28, 2018
So we are in the business of cherry picking a handful of incidents and declaring it a national problem? You will be hard pressed to find anybody that agrees with assault. There is a clear agenda by the op though and it's very disingenuous.

May 19, 2010
Horrifying. Hope they catch those two bastards and they get what's coming to them.

Although, yelling "this is MAGA country" strikes me as odd, because Chicago is decidedly not that. A clear example of two people who are confused as to how to get to sesame street.

May 22, 2018
So we are in the business of cherry picking a handful of incidents and declaring it a national problem? You will be hard pressed to find anybody that agrees with assault. There is a clear agenda by the op though and it's very disingenuous.
We have had people on this very site claim that "MAGA" hats and the entire "MAGA" slogan is just a harmless thing that has gotten blown out of proportion by the "Mainstream Media". Meanwhile others including myself have maintained that for some people it goes far beyond that.

This is just more proof that the "MAGA" slogan is alot more than harmless to some people. There is no way to dismiss this incident as being harmless.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Bro I see PKM (and a couple others) do this ALL THE TIME on here with anything painting non-whites, non-conservative, or non-straights in a bad light, and get applauded for it (“just bringing balance to the universe, hell yeah PKM!” Actual quote)

Let’s not act like it bothers you now.

Shit either goes both ways or it needs to stop altogether

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Canada
Terrible occurrence. I hope they throw the book at them.

I don't understand how a few bad actors paint an entire group. By this fucked up logic all democrats want to burn down schools with children in them or put children in wood chippers. All blacks are criminals, all gays are pedophiles, all Muslims are terrorists. Is that really the line of thinking you want to promote? How about individual responsibility rather than putting an entire group to task for the crimes of two people.

YOU have associated it with racism for years and are now cherry picking examples to suit your narrative.

Jan 12, 2009
Wow, holy shit. I hope for speedy recovery. This is something that can reach the president's ears.

"Possible hate crime"

You mean like stalking and attacking someone calling them the N-word and a fa**ot? Goddamn.

Nov 5, 2016

I don't understand how a few bad actors paint an entire group. By this fucked up logic all democrats want to burn down schools with children in them or put children in wood chippers. All blacks are criminals, all gays are pedophiles, all Muslims are terrorists. Is that really the line of thinking you want to promote? How about individual responsibility rather than putting an entire group to task for the crimes of two people.

YOU have associated it with racism for years and are now cherry picking examples to suit your narrative.
*ahem*

Right above you

Bro I see PKM (and a couple others) do this ALL THE TIME on here with anything painting non-whites, non-conservative, or non-straights in a bad light, and get applauded for it (“just bringing balance to the universe, hell yeah PKM!” Actual quote)

Let’s not act like it bothers you now.

Shit either goes both ways or it needs to stop altogether

Sep 28, 2018
We have had people on this very site claim that "MAGA" hats and the entire "MAGA" slogan is just a harmless thing that has gotten blown out of proportion by the "Mainstream Media". Meanwhile others including myself have maintained that for some people it goes far beyond that.

This is just more proof that the "MAGA" slogan is alot more than harmless to some people.
I'm sure they were wearing pants too. Are pants racist and a symbol of hate too? Look, nobody is saying right wing extremist don't exist. They do, and they suck, but you have thousands of other people that wear those hats and don't assault people. Then you have people that wear those hats and get assaulted and we could easily report those stories with their own thread as well.

Jan 12, 2009

Trump's MAGA is deeply connected to racism, bigotry and especially and inherently xenophobia.

Mar 3, 2014

This is just more proof that the "MAGA" slogan is alot more than harmless to some people. There is no way to dismiss this incident as being harmless.
I'll go punch a Covington kid in your honor.

Mar 3, 2014
Trump's MAGA is deeply connected to racism, bigotry and especially and inherently xenophobia.
by leftists who see boogeymen

Based upon the percentage of these "MAGA" attacks that have turned out to be hoaxes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover that phrase was never uttered.

Last edited:
May 19, 2010

Just a few bad actors, huh? Like when an Uber driver shot six people dead while screaming "Make America Great Again," or when a guy in a MAGA hat killed two random bystanders, or when a Trump supporter murdered two cops who told him to put away his Confederate flag, or when Trump supporters beat and pissed on a homeless man while screaming about "illegals," or when a guy in a MAGA hat beat up a Muslim kid and a Hispanic man in a gas station, or when a Trump supporter stabbed a black man for holding hands with a white woman, or when a Trump supporter attacked a Muslim woman at an airport, or when a Trump supporter punched a 70 year old in the face, or when a Trump supporter brutally beat up a protestor, or when a Trump supporter attacked an Indian man in a restaurant while calling him a "sand *DARKLY COLORED FELLOW AMERICAN*," or when Trump supporters called a gay man a "faggot" as he was beaten up, or when a Trump supporter called elementary school black kids monkeys before attempting to run them over in his car, or when a Trump supporter attacked a man after yelling Sieg Heil, or when Trump supporters screamed the n word while beating up a black man so bad he was sent to the hospital, or when a Trump supporter groped a fifteen year old, called her a "*DARKLY COLORED FELLOW AMERICAN* lover," and pepper sprayed her directly in the face, or when a Trump supporter yelled deportation at a black man in public before punching him, or when a Trump supporter sucker punched a random Hispanic man in the back of the head, or when a group of Trump supporters groped and beat a protestor, or when a Trump supporter beat up a black man outside of a hospital for visiting his infant, or when a Republican politician grabbed a woman's privates and yelled that Trump made this legal now, or when a Canadian Trump supporter killed six people in a mosque, or when a Trump supporter beat up his African immigrant cab driver, or when a Trump supporter brutally beat up a gay man at a McDonald's, or when a white supremacist killed two people on public transportation in Portland for defending the Muslim girl he was harassing, or when a white supremacist stabbed and killed a teenager on a BART train, or when a Muslim gay rights activist was kidnapped and raped by two Trump supporters, or when a transgender person's car was vandalized and set on fire, or when a Trump supporter assaulted two Muslim women and a baby in a stroller, or when a Trump supporter in Austin killed multiple people with package bombs, or when a Trump supporter shot a protestor in the stomach at point blank range, or when a Trump supporter yelled "heil Trump" as he shot out the windows of minority-owned businesses, or when a Trump supporter murdered a black student at college for dating a white woman, or when a Trump supporter attacked liberals at a college with a machete, it's just cherry picking! We're all looking for patterns that just aren't there! The red hats are a bogeyman!

I guess I get to add Jussie to this list.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018

I have already stated before that not all people who wear MAGA hats or support the slogan are racist. It just seems that alot of racists seem to wear MAGA hats or support the slogan. Yet somehow that doesn't seem to concern alot of people here?

We have widely publicized examples of the MAGA hats and the slogan being associated with racism. And this is just another example of why that is. Yet the focus is ALWAYS....FUCKING ALWAYS on the idea that "not everyone who wears the hat or supports the slogan is a racist". Yeah thats cool and thats fine not all of them are racists I agree with you on that, but that doesn't magically make the fact that actual racists DO support the slogan and the hats disappear.

They exist. They are real. And as @7echnicolor just pointed out this is not an isolated incident and yet people from the Right endlessly try to pretend that they are fake or that its just the "mainstream media" spinning up lies.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Just a few bad actors, huh? Like when an Uber driver shot six people dead while screaming "Make America Great Again," or when a guy in a MAGA hat killed two random bystanders, or when a Trump supporter murdered two cops who told him to put away his Confederate flag, or when Trump supporters beat and pissed on a homeless man while screaming about "illegals," or when a guy in a MAGA hat beat up a Muslim kid and a Hispanic man in a gas station, or when a Trump supporter stabbed a black man for holding hands with a white woman, or when a Trump supporter attacked a Muslim woman at an airport, or when a Trump supporter punched a 70 year old in the face, or when a Trump supporter brutally beat up a protestor, or when a Trump supporter attacked an Indian man in a restaurant while calling him a "sand *DARKLY COLORED FELLOW AMERICAN*," or when Trump supporters called a gay man a "faggot" as he was beaten up, or when a Trump supporter called elementary school black kids monkeys before attempting to run them over in his car, or when a Trump supporter attacked a man after yelling Sieg Heil, or when Trump supporters screamed the n word while beating up a black man so bad he was sent to the hospital, or when a Trump supporter groped a fifteen year old, called her a "*DARKLY COLORED FELLOW AMERICAN* lover," and pepper sprayed her directly in the face, or when a Trump supporter yelled deportation at a black man in public before punching him, or when a Trump supporter sucker punched a random Hispanic man in the back of the head, or when a group of Trump supporters groped and beat a protestor, or when a Trump supporter beat up a black man outside of a hospital for visiting his infant, or when a Republican politician grabbed a woman's privates and yelled that Trump made this legal now, or when a Canadian Trump supporter killed six people in a mosque, or when a Trump supporter beat up his African immigrant cab driver, or when a Trump supporter brutally beat up a gay man at a McDonald's, or when a white supremacist killed two people on public transportation in Portland for defending the Muslim girl he was harassing, or when a white supremacist stabbed and killed a teenager on a BART train, or when a Muslim gay rights activist was kidnapped and raped by two Trump supporters, or when a transgender person's car was vandalized and set on fire, or when a Trump supporter assaulted two Muslim women and a baby in a stroller, or when a Trump supporter in Austin killed multiple people with package bombs, or when a Trump supporter shot a protestor in the stomach at point blank range, or when a Trump supporter yelled "heil Trump" as he shot out the windows of minority-owned businesses, or when a Trump supporter murdered a black student at college for dating a white woman, or when a Trump supporter attacked liberals at a college with a machete, it's just cherry picking! We're all looking for patterns that just aren't there! The red hats are a bogeyman!

/r/murderedbywords

Jan 12, 2009
by leftists who see boogeymen
White supremacists groups saw it as a resurgence, and were not condemned by Trump until he was forced to. Liberals pushed them into the shadows again.

Trump's infamous "they're bringing rapists, murderers, etc" bred xenophobia.

Trump and his anti-transgender stance.

So it's all there to be seen in plain view. Trump should have controlled it, afterall he gave rise to it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018

Gonna bookmark this post so I can use it in the future if you don't mind.

Sep 28, 2018
I have already stated before that not all people who wear MAGA hats or support the slogan are racist. It just seems that alot of racists seem to wear MAGA hats or support the slogan. Yet somehow that doesn't seem to concern alot of people here?

We have widely publicized examples of the MAGA hats and the slogan being associated with racism. And this is just another example of why that is. Yet the focus is ALWAYS....FUCKING ALWAYS on the idea that "not everyone who wears the hat or supports the slogan is a racist". Yeah thats cool and thats fine not all of them are racists I agree with you on that, but that doesn't magically make the fact that actual racists DO support the slogan and the hats disappear.
So what do you want to do about it? Yes, there are racists that wear these hats, but there are also a lot of good law abiding Americans that do as well. There are just as many stories, if not more, of people wearing Maga hats getting assaulted.

So again, I ask, what would you like done about this?

May 22, 2018
So what do you want to do about it? Yes, there are racists that wear these hats, but there are also a lot of good law abiding Americans that do as well. There are just as many stories, if not more, of people wearing Maga hats getting assaulted.

It would be nice if Trump supporters would actually admit that their hats and slogans are being widely used by violent white supremacists and that the racism that is associated with them is not unfounded like so many try and claim.

That would be a good start.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2009

To acknowledge it like you're doing is a good step.

Mar 3, 2014
White supremacists groups saw it as a resurgence, and were not condemned by Trump until he was forced to. Liberals pushed them into the shadows again.

Trump's infamous "they're bringing rapists, murderers, etc" bred xenophobia.

Trump and his anti-transgender stance.

So it's all there to be seen in plain view. Trump should have controlled it, afterall he gave rise to it.
Gave rise to what? How many white supremacists do you believe there are in America? What sort of power do you believe they wield?

We've been going in circles in this for over two years now.

May 17, 2012
Canada
Yes, that wall of text is still a few bad actors in a country of 350 million, 400 million since you are including Canadians who are committing crimes for MAGA for some reason. Many of them have nothing to do with racism or xenophobia. They are just the acts of unhinged idiots. I could run out of text if I cataloged all of the times a black person, a Muslim, a member of the LGBT committed a crime. I would also hopefully be banned.

If you want to paint groups of people for the actions of a few be my guest. I don't think it ends well for anyone.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I saw this story in a few places today. Terrible.

The only place mentioning the "MAGA" line is TMZ though. None of the other news organizations I read earlier mentioned this at all. Even the alternate source in the OP don't mention it, aside from People that said it was not verified.

Last edited:

MDS

Neo Member
Oct 8, 2018
The story is just ridiculous.

So 2 guys just happened to be chilling out in masks and MAGA hats with a noose and bleach in their Race War Preparedness Kit, or something, at a Subway in Chicago when they happened to run into this guy.

This is going to turn out to be something stupid and embarassing like a personal dispute or argument with a drug dealer and he invented some evil MAGA thugs as a cover

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2014
The story is just ridiculous.

So 2 guys just happened to be chilling out in masks and MAGA hats with a noose and bleach in their Race War Preparedness Kit, or something, at a Subway in Chicago when they happened to run into this guy.

This is going to turn out to be something stupid and embarassing like a personal dispute or argument with a drug dealer and he invented some evil MAGA thugs as a cover
*ding ding ding*

Two Nazi Trumpsters who also happen to be Empire fans recognized Jussie Smollett on the street at 2 am. Seems plausible.

Last edited:
May 10, 2009
Yes, that wall of text is still a few bad actors in a country of 350 million, 400 million since you are including Canadians who are committing crimes for MAGA for some reason. Many of them have nothing to do with racism or xenophobia. They are just the acts of unhinged idiots. I could run out of text if I cataloged all of the times a black person, a Muslim, a member of the LGBT committed a crime. I would also hopefully be banned.

If you want to paint groups of people for the actions of a few be my guest. I don't think it ends well for anyone.
No those 40 or so Gawker and Independent stories show a clear pattern. They are poignant and will be saved and trotted out later.

May 19, 2010

The difference being...those people didn't choose to be those things, and they don't commit crimes on behalf of that part of their identity. LGBTQ folks aren't out there stabbing folks with rainbow-colored knives, lol.

Apr 15, 2018
Guys, a man was just viciously attacked for his race and sexuality and you are focusing on a hat and slogan. Racists are both on the left and right, who cares if the attackers were Trump supporters? This is about a hate crime.
No, this is about the maga hat. I guess he is still embarrassed by Covington, so he was waiting for anything to vindicate him

This is an obvious bait thread by NI.

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Gave rise to what? How many white supremacists do you believe there are in America? What sort of power do you believe they wield?

Does the exact number of white supremacists or their exact power matter?

If you're a Trump supporter and you see white supremacists shouting "heil Trump!" (yes, that happened) or feeling emboldened to commit violence in Trump's name... you should question your political allegiances.

Nov 5, 2016
Does the exact number of white supremacists or their exact power matter?

If you're a Trump supporter and you see white supremacists shouting "heil Trump!" (yes, that happened) or feeling emboldened to commit violence in Trump's name... you should question your political allegiances.
Nah man, I mean just look at all those fine people that were in Charlottesville!

Jan 12, 2009

White supremacists thought they could rise out of the shadows under Trump, and Trump goaded them on because he wanted their votes to help beat Hillary.

This ultimately lead to the unite the right rally, and it took that (they changed their strategies due to backlash), and deplatforming to cool their run.

There can be supremacists everywhere, and nowhere at the same time. The greatest impact that they have now is making someone they hate their target. That behavior should always be condemned. MAGA encouraged this, and thankfully it's run was short.

MAGA also encouraged a lot of other poor behavior, that was always there, but when the president doesn't condone you for it and use the jargon, it accelerates.

Dec 15, 2011
"Empire" star Jussie Smollett was brutally attacked by 2 men who beat him up, put his head in a noose and screamed, "This is MAGA country."
Deplorable behaviour towards anyone, by anyone. Let's hope that justice is done.

Its just a hat though right?
Oh. Did a hat carry out this attack?

This is actual breaking news that backs up an already established narrative.
Critical thinking was not used in the composition of this statement.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
I saw this story in a few places today. Terrible.

The only place mentioning the "MAGA" line is TMZ though. None of the other news organizations I read earlier mentioned this at all. Even the alternate source in the OP don't mention it, aside from People that said it was not verified.
I noticed that too. I will update the OP if that turns out to not be the case, but as others have stated already it wouldn't exactly be a shock if it was true. Also its led to a rather productive discussion I think on the validity of the negative connotations of the "MAGA" slogan as a whole.

Last edited: