'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Attacked in Possible Hate Crime

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
It would seem the police might have some pretty damning information to publicly state this at this stage of the investigation. I still have my doubts there will be a gotcha moment, but he could get in serious trouble if he willfully impeded a police investigation.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It would seem the police might have some pretty damning information to publicly state this at this stage of the investigation.
Agree.
This is so high profile and getting so infected that I would imagine that any and every public statement at this point in time will have to be pre-approved by legal.

Yeah, this is very strong and very suggestive language by a superintendent. The kind of language that will risk to permanently end your career and get you fired if you got it wrong.
So the stakes are getting a lot higher. <runs out to buy more popcorn>

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2014
Quick google search led me to this blog

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2016/12/what-are-the-penalties-for-lying-to-a-cop.html

Lying during an investigation does sound potentially more serious that I realized

Wonder if they have the phone records yet
My guess is they have the phone records, more video, and are just dotting their I's and crossing their t's at this point. The original narrative is so far from what we now know that it's extremely unlikely that this is anything but a hoax. Even the two men walking away have been identified and cleared, from what I understand.

I doubt Chicago has any interest in being known as the city where this sort of thing happens.

The story was quite unbelievable from the get go. I'd say I feel sorry for him, but if it is a hoax, I dont. Putting national race relations through the wringer for 15 minutes of fame / attention to your cause is disgusting. You should take a step back yourself and reevaluate some of your earlier posts. This is a time to learn about the deep flaws of human nature. Covington tells the same story. If people are too quick to hate based on little evidence, then often they are the hateful ones.

Dec 3, 2013
Chicago Police Superintendent: 'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett 'WILL Be Held Accountable' If He Made A False Crime Report

"Sources close to the Chicago Police Department also tell The Daily Wire that police have filed a series of subpoenas in order to compel the production of Smollett's phone records from the night of the attack, a report apparently confirmed by CWB Chicago. "

"Police are also looking into the source of the rope Smollett says was placed around his neck during the attack. Initially, Smollett said the rope resembled a "noose," but upon closer examination, according to the Sun-Times, the rope appeared to be a thin "clothesline" which police believe came straight out of the package before it ended up around Smollett's neck (Smollett was still wearing the rope when police arrived to take his report, 45 minutes after the attack). "

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43137/chicago-police-superintendent-empire-star-jussie-emily-zanotti
The mere fact that they would come out and actually say this, shows there is a shred of doubt in their belief of the original story.

Feb 22, 2018
I wonder how much coverage his eventual incarceration for false crime report will get. A very serious activity. I suspect not very much at all. The MSM works in mysterious ways.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
You mean CPD can not just say "No Comments" when they do not want to comment on something?
Like every other PD in the world can and do?

EDIT: theory does not check out.
Why not comment on it? If they are asked "what will you do if the allegations turn out to be made up", it is in their best interest to say they would then prosecute it.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Why comment on it? It only serves to open them up to litigation.
I doubt there is any case to be had here, they did not insinuate that these are false allegations and making clear that it is a staunch policy to never let false allegations slide is a good idea. In fact, when I reported some illegal activity (online fraud), the policemen informed me before I started giving the report that false allegations are illegal and there is a hard penality for making false allegations, which they said they always say before taking a report.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Why not comment on it? If they are asked "what will you do if the allegations turn out to be made up", it is in their best interest to say they would then prosecute it.
The place you work at. Why don't you go ask the legal team "Bob that was fired last week and are accusing us for xyz, can I go out on twitter and just state he is a bad person and probably committed a crime? using the company twitter account?"

Ask them and see what they say. When you post fighting words like this you either have solid footing and approval from legal or you will be in a whole new world of pain.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
The place you work at. Why don't you go ask the legal team "Bob that was fired last week and are accusing us for xyz, can I go out on twitter and just state he is a bad person and probably committed a crime? using the company twitter account?"

Ask them and see what they say. When you post fighting words like this you either have solid footing and approval from legal or you will be in a whole new world of pain.
They did not accuse him of anything though? I mean, clearly they cannot just state "he probably faked the allegations" when there is no indication for that, but if they are asked, hypothetically, if the allegations are wrong, what would be the consequences, they are in no way saying they believe or even consider that the allegations are fake by answering what the consequences would be. The thing is, the quoted news source appears to be quite tendential, with capitalising "will", where structurally, "if" - if anything - is the word that should be capitalised.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
They did not accuse him of anything though? I mean, clearly they cannot just state "he probably faked the allegations" when there is no indication for that, but if they are asked, hypothetically, if the allegations are wrong, what would be the consequences, they are in no way saying they believe or even consider that the allegations are fake by answering what the consequences would be. The thing is, the quoted news source appears to be quite tendential, with capitalising "will", where structurally, "if" - if anything - is the word that should be capitalised.
Go ask the legal team about that.
"Bob that was fired last week and are accusing us for xyz, can I go out on twitter and just state IF he is a bad person and IF he probably committed a crime THEN he might be prosecuted?
Ask your legal team if that is ok. Using the company twitter account."

Come back with what your legal team said.

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Go ask the legal team about that.
"Bob that was fired last week and are accusing us for xyz, can I go out on twitter and just state IF he is a bad person and IF he probably committed a crime THEN he might be prosecuted?
Ask your legal team if that is ok. Using the company twitter account."

Come back with what your legal team said.
I am operating under the assumption that it is an answer to a press request or question at a press conference. This is not the same situation, because the hypothetical is not originating from the police, but from the person asking the question. I think this view is in particular supported by the fact that the police is reported to also have added that Smollett continue to be treated as the victim in the case, so obviously it is not a current angle of the investigation.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I am operating under the assumption that it is an answer to a press request or question at a press conference. This is not the same situation, because the hypothetical is not originating from the police, but from the person asking the question. I think this view is in particular supported by the fact that the police is reported to also have added that Smollett continue to be treated as the victim in the case, so obviously it is not a current angle of the investigation.
In a super political and super high-profile case, your theory is that the superintendent is just letting his mouth run, no matter the consequences and that the legal team is ok with that?
CPD only hires idiots that can not say "no comments" when that is what the legal team tells them?

Ok. Have you ever had a job in an enterprise or a bureaucracy ? It doesn't work like that. In high profile situations, people can not just make their own official comments willy nilly.

EDIT: lets just see what the future brings. These were fighting words and someone WILL end their career over this.

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
In a super political and super high-profile case, your theory is that the superintendent is just letting his mouth run, no matter the consequences and that the legal team is ok with that?
CPD only hires idiots that can not say "no comments" when that is what the legal team tells them?

Ok. Have you ever had a job in an enterprise or a bureaucracy ? It doesn't work like that. In high profile situations, people can not just make their own official comments willy nilly.

EDIT: lets just see what the future brings. These were fighting words and someone WILL end their career over this.
1. I do not think that's a case of letting the mouth run, but an accurate answer to a question, without in any way accusing Smolletts of anything. The accusation is just in your mind. And it is not the same thing as just writing this with no context on a twitter account.
2. I do not know how you count that, I have mostly worked in universities.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
1. I do not think that's a case of letting the mouth run, but an accurate answer to a question, without in any way accusing Smolletts of anything. The accusation is just in your mind. And it is not the same thing as just writing this with no context on a twitter account.
2. I do not know how you count that, I have mostly worked in universities.
You work for a university. You have a legal team.
Go ask them what they say about "there are lawsuits hanging in the air. I will just go out and comment on them from my personal point of view, using the university twitter account. Maybe I can make some defamatory threats to these people too about punishing them if they were lying."

Seriously. Just ask your legal team about that plan. What do they say? Do they say "sure go ahead and do your thing say whatever you want" or do they say "your job will be in jeopardy and that will be the least of your problems. The only voicing you can do that will not end in us firing you for misconduct and then suing you is 'no comment'"
What did they say? When you asked them ?

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
You work for a university. You have a legal team.
Go ask them what they say about "there are lawsuits hanging in the air. I will just go out and comment on them from my personal point of view, using the university twitter account. Maybe I can make some defamatory threats to these people too about punishing them if they were lying."

Seriously. Just ask your legal team about that plan. What do they say? Do they say "sure go ahead and do your thing say whatever you want" or do they say "your job will be in jeopardy and that will be the least of your problems."
What did they say? When you asked them ?
Why would I ask them something that is in no way related to what is being discussed here? I already said on multiple accounts that your "analogous" case is so absolutely not analogous that it does not warrant further exploration. I never said that what you are insinuating is ok. I said that what I understand the police did here is ok and that they are fundamentally different.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Why would I ask them something that is in no way related to what is being discussed here? I already said on multiple accounts that your "analogous" case is so absolutely not analogous that it does not warrant further exploration. I never said that what you are insinuating is ok. I said that what I understand the police did here is ok and that they are fundamentally different.
Go ask your legal team. Is it ok if I give personal commentary of guilt using my emloyers twitter account in a high profile and infected case?
I am just asking you to ask your lawyers what they think?

You seem to suggest that it is ok for other people to do this and it is normal. Ask your lawyers if they think this is normal and ok. That is all I ask.
What did your lawyers say about this plan? They have no objections?

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Go ask your legal team. Is it ok if I give personal commentary of guilt using my emloyers twitter account in a high profile and infected case?
I am just asking you to ask your lawyers what they think?

You seem to suggest that it is ok for other people to do this and it is normal. Ask your lawyers if they think this is normal and ok. That is all I ask.
What did your lawyers say about this plan? They have no objections?
Are you incapable of reading or are you just trolling me? As I already said, what you describe here and what I understand has happened in the Smollett case are not the same thing. I see no reason to ask our legal department this stupid question.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Are you incapable of reading or are you just trolling me? As I already said, what you describe here and what I understand has happened in the Smollett case are not the same thing. I see no reason to ask our legal department this stupid question.
Describe the situation to your legal team. Ask them if it is ok for an individual contributor to give personal commentary on guilt using the official university twitter feed.
Or ask them if they prefer everyone just say "no comment".
Why is this so hard to do ? You are at a university right? You can just call the legal team up on the phone, right?

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Describe the situation to your legal team. Ask them if it is ok for an individual contributor to give personal commentary on guilt using the official university twitter feed.
Or ask them if they prefer everyone just say "no comment".
Why is this so hard to do ?
Why would I ask for something that has no connection to the case of interest other than in your mind? Ask your own legal team if you are unsure about the case you described. To be clear:
- Your Twitter example: Not OK, likely to have legal consequences
- The Smollett thing, at least as I understand this (i.e. answering a hypothetical press request, adding that this is not a current line of investigation): Absolutely fine.

Aug 30, 2014
Yoshi, this is an extremely high-profile case that has national coverage. Not only that, it's about race relations, a hot topic issue. Not only that, but it even ties into the topic of lynching.

Now, not only that, but we're talking about Chicago. Chicago! There's absolutely no way the police make a public statement inferring that the claim might even possibly be false if they could avoid it. Even the mere suggestion that they might not "believe the victim" in this day and age has the potential of becoming a national scandal.

In other words, given that they made this statement it is far more likely that they firmly believe it is a hoax that anything else. I would actually go so far as to say they would not make the statement if they were not 100% sure. There is no room for careless statements here, and this was made after they had plenty of time to investigate.

Aug 30, 2014
Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
It's starting to sound like some CSI shit. Like they find out the rope was only made by a specific manufacturer who sold only to 3 stores and the 3rd store the detectives visit has a guy claiming the surveillance camera doesn't work and is just for deterring crime.

Then when the cops leave, he makes a frantic phone call to the boss in charge of bleach attacks. "I don't know how long I can keep my mouth shut here!" As he's going home, someone throws bleach in his face and puts a clothesline around his neck. "You told me your son is about to start up his first semester in college, ain't that right? Be a shame if someone tied a clothesline around his neck. Catch my drift, asshole?"

And in the end, Ice-T gets the surveillance footage, saves the guy who works at the store, and puts the bleach kingpin behind bars.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It's starting to sound like some CSI shit. Like they find out the rope was only made by a specific manufacturer who sold only to 3 stores and the 3rd store the detectives visit has a guy claiming the surveillance camera doesn't work and is just for deterring crime.

Then when the cops leave, he makes a frantic phone call to the boss in charge of bleach attacks. "I don't know how long I can keep my mouth shut here!" As he's going home, someone throws bleach in his face and puts a clothesline around his neck. "You told me your son is about to start up his first semester in college, ain't that right? Be a shame if someone tied a clothesline around his neck. Catch my drift, asshole?"

And in the end, Ice-T gets the surveillance footage, saves the guy who works at the store, and puts the bleach kingpin behind bars.
For the cops:
Pro-tip, check the garbage bins in the basement of his house for receipts and packaging.

Oct 1, 2006

Why would they subpeona his phone, if he was not being investigated? I could understand it if he was incapacitated and unable to provide consent, but this implies that he did not consent to his phone being searched.

Aug 28, 2018
What a gigantic idiot if this is an hoax. So instead of talking about the real aggressions that gay people have to endure, this fucker gets the spotlight.
I really, really hope it was all true because the opposite is disgusting

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
What a gigantic idiot if this is an hoax. So instead of talking about the real aggressions that gay people have to endure, this fucker gets the spotlight.
I really, really hope it was all true because the opposite is disgusting
See it from the bright side.
At least it "starts a national debate about hate crimes against lgbt and minorities in Trumps america."
/s

Last edited: