• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

IrishNinja

IdreamofHIME said:

haha, if you go through this genius' stuff, he's right there with kotaku burning/cutting up that EA promo check for Dante's Inferno. "EA TRIED SOMETHING QUESTIONABLY CLEVER, AND I MISSED THE POINT; COME WITNESS MY JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY ON DISPLAY."

Durante

I'd buy GrimGrimoire for Vita even though I have the disc and hate double dipping.

androvsky said:
That's true, there is a straight software PS2 emulator that hackers managed to unlock, and it was working with some games even back in 2009 (apparently Twisted Metal Black runs quite well on it). Chances are pretty good that the PS3 can emulate a decent number of PS2 titles with a tweaked emulator for each title, but most of the really big titles are also the ones most likely to push the hardware the most and not work. And some of those are getting proper HD ports.
Yeah, with this strategy they should be able to cover a large part of the games people actually want to play. And the best thing about it is that you can pay for all of them again!

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK

Haven't played a single one of those because my PS2 lens broke before they even came out. And all of them are awesome.

AWWWWWYEAH.JPG

Varth

128751590005249982.jpg

Pumped, even having all of those. Hoping I'll get something REALLY rare down the line.

duckroll

Drkirby said:
You know, until they come out, I wouldn't rule out the chance the games were recompiled. If they were, it may mean they will run at a high resolution, and may fix potential slowdown. While I am not expecting any more then just the 480i games released half a decade ago, I think there is enough of a chance there may be inherent upgrades if the developers had to actually recompile the code for the PS3.

I'm not ruling out anything, I'm just saying that it is best to expect that they are PS2 games with no enhancements or trophies.

This is amazing. recently learnt that clover did god hand so I'd kill for that PSN exclusives. Awesome news all around.

(and this post is my post 666) :)

Demathe

Neo Member
holy shit, God Hand on PSN...that means it's time to:

1) finish the game again, smacking bitches on the ass and launching motherfuckers into space with my bat along the way
2) force all my bros to get this game, no more "my PS2 is broken/my PS3 doesn't have backward compatibility" excuses :p

this is so awesome!!

I'm still amazed about the games chosen here. God Hand and GrimGrimoire -level of stuff? what kind of a god chose this lineup :D Some proper fanservice.

I would have expected them to release something alot more mainstream.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Such an obvious thing to work towards, but began to think it'd never happen. Very glad it is finally. Hopefully Vita can come in under this too.

I wonder if they have a fairly generalised emulator or each game has to be carefully tweaked/optimised etc.

Noisepurge said:
I'm still amazed about the games chosen here. God Hand and GrimGrimoire -level of stuff? what kind of a god chose this lineup :D

A Mangod, perhaps? He works fast...

Ellis Kim

Banned
toddhunter said:
You can almost bet it will not be the same games :( Crazy Frog Racer 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog incoming...in late 2012
looooooooool

Watching footage of Ring of Red, or whatever its called....

man that looks like a really bad game. Youtube comments suggest its an underappreciated gem of some kind... but man it looks slow as hell. I'll take Front Mission 4 any day.

gofreak said:
Such an obvious thing to work towards, but began to think it'd never happen. Very glad it is finally. Hopefully Vita can come in under this too.

I wonder if they have a fairly generalised emulator or each game has to be carefully tweaked/optimised etc.

You know? I wouldn't doubt it. I really wouldn't.

Still pushing that Vanillware ware :)

androvsky

Durante said:
I'd buy GrimGrimoire for Vita even though I have the disc and hate double dipping.

Yeah, with this strategy they should be able to cover a large part of the games people actually want to play. And the best thing about it is that you can pay for all of them again!

There's a couple PS2 games I would like to find an excuse to pay money for again. Mainly Sakura Wars and Ar Tonelico 2 if it's fixed up.

Otherwise, I already own almost all the PS2 games I want. Still missing Gradius V and Futurama. Maximo is the only one I don't have out of the list in the OP.

Jay Sosa

Oh so they really didn't continue bc because they want me to pay twice for games I already bought...yeah fuck you too Sony.

angelfly

Noisepurge said:
I'm still amazed about the games chosen here. God Hand and GrimGrimoire -level of stuff? what kind of a god chose this lineup :D Some proper fanservice.

I would have expected them to release something alot more mainstream.
Those games are getting the HD Classics treatment.

klee123

gofreak said:

Not surprised if it was him pulling the strings in terms of title selection.

Ellis Kim

Banned
klee123 said:
Not surprised if it was him pulling the strings in terms of title selection.
And yet, at the same time... its too soon for it to have been him.

Had to be someone of a like mind.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Only kidding about Shane...I'm sure they've been working on this a lonnng time, even if titles were picked more recently. Plus it's not his area.

Ellis Kim said:
And yet, at the same time... its too soon for it to have been him.

Had to be someone of a like mind.

Maybe they were in fact cloning him for different positions at the company? :O

Ellis Kim

Banned
gofreak said:
Only kidding about Shane...I'm sure they've been working on this a lonnng time, even if titles were picked more recently. Plus it's not his area.

Maybe they were in fact cloning him for different positions at the company? :O
An army of Shanes working the gears and cogs of Sony Computer of America?

hrmmm

Gears of War spinoff exclusive to PS Vita, paid by IndiePub, fall 2012

Best gaming related news in a long time. I'm willing to buy loads of PS2 games even though I have a computer that's capable of emulating them in higher resolutions. Not having to tweak the settings myself is worth at least $10.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
bishoptl said:
What the hell...I've got a pristine copy of Ring of Red sitting right here. That was gonna pay for my kids' collective college funds!

*shakes fist*

I know that feel bro.

Damn hoarding copies of Final Fantasy PS1 games.

God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red.

Consumers who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a 20% discount during the launch week of each “Only On PSN” game. On top of that, if you spend $60 or more out of your PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Wallet throughout the month of October, you'll be able to receive a $10 store credit towards purchases in November. This promotion isn't limited to just games - spending can be on add-ons, PlayStation Home micro-transactions, TV shows, movies, Music Unlimited subscriptions, etc.

Sony Wins. Sony fucking wins! Resubscribing to PSN+, getting $10 back, 20% off on all games. PROFIT!

Omikaru

PS+ has been doing good this year. RE4 & Code: Veronica X discounts, Stacking earlier this year, cloud saving, Uncharted 3 Beta (and, for us in Europe at least, access to the full Uncharted 3 multiplayer as of this week), the Sega classics and now this.

Yes, my £40 has gone a long way, and I'll be resubscribing next year.

Labadal

I would be happy, but then I remember that we had PS2 bc PS3 consoles, and this is just to make easy money. Will get some PS2 games I never played, but no double dipping for me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
shagg_187 said:
Sony Wins. Sony fucking wins! Resubscribing to PSN+, getting $10 back, 20% off on all games. PROFIT!
My sub expires in December. Btw, if I buy a 1 year PSN + sub now, will it stack?

Labadal said:
I would be happy, but then I remember that we had PS2 bc PS3 consoles, and this is just to make easy money. Will get some PS2 games I never played, but no double dipping for me.
Considering the fact that backward compatible console were shit expensive; really? Backward Compatibility (with a few other features) was killed as it was costing Sony more than they could hold on to, and at a massive loss.

Meisadragon said:
My sub expires in December. Btw, if I buy a 1 year PSN + sub now, will it stack?
BrokenOath bought a few when they were on sale a few months ago. He said it stacks.

Withnail

PS2 on PSN is a megaton. For years some have speculated that BC was removed to keep PS2 sales alive and it would be reintroduced in some form once the PS2 was dead. I'm not sure the PS2 is dead yet but it seems that theory may have had some truth in it. The major downside though is having to rebuy old games, but still, at least we will have the option now. I hope they get a good selection up there.

Also if these are Vita compatible then Vita is truly going to have an unbelievable catalogue of games.

is there any chance that these aren't PS3 native re-do's?

is there a chance that there's a backwards compat update in the PS3's near future? Because that would be winning so frigging hard.

Majine

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:
is there a chance that there's a backwards compat update in the PS3's near future? Because that would be winning so frigging hard.
I don't think so, both from a technical viewpoint and financially.

Twinduct

Okami
Tales of ____
P4

I think those are the only ones I missed during my PS2 era.
Now we just need some confirmation that these games will work on Vita and I'd double dip on a few titles.

Suzzopher

So in the last few weeks Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4 and now Odin's Sphere, God Hand, Maximo, Ring of Red and best of all Grim Grimoire! What a few weeks it's been!

Holy shit! Ive never played Grimgrimmoire and God Hand but i might actually buy them tomorrow! thank god i know where to get US PSN cards ^^
NOW BRING ON SOME GAMES SQUARE ENIX!

TGMIII

About time they announced this. So sony have been working on this for a while now, they just finished with their QA testing in Liverpool 2 weeks ago. Here's basically what I know:

• No remastering, just smoothing/screen size options like PS1 emulation.
  • Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.
  • No button remapping options, like PS1 emulation, for now.
  • No trophies or anything along those lines.

Apart from that everything should be what people are expecting. There doesn't seem to be any bells and whistles on it, it's straight up PS2 emulation.

Twinduct

Top Bottom