• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End the Ignorance: Good U.S. Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMage

Banned
I hear a lot of crap from foreigners and a lot of people in the states that think they know their shit saying American Beer sucks. Well, if all you've drank is Coors/Bud/Miller you don't know jack shit. I know there are others out there that have drank some really good US beer and I want to hear your suggestions! Ill start: This is Pyramid Hefeweizen. It is my favorite beer ever! I believe it is brewed somewhere in Washington. It is unfiltered to give it that extra taste and aroma!

951.jpg

Yeah, Sam Adams is pretty good. Especially their summer ale. Magic Hat has a few good kinds, too. As far as dark beer goes, i've yet to find anything too great besides in Brooklyn.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
30913.jpg

225.jpg

The bastards stopped shipping Bell's to Illinois months ago, dammit. *shakes fist*

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is stupid, there are so many small breweries around here that pump out delicious delicious beer but are obscure to the point that no one outside of the region has heard of 'em. Those micro-brew beers, IMO, are the best tasting.

BlackMage

Banned
Wellington said:
This is stupid, there are so many small breweries around here that pump out delicious delicious beer but are obscure to the point that no one outside of the region has heard of 'em. Those micro-brew beers, IMO, are the best tasting.

well gee, give us some examples then, so that when I visit NY or wherever you are from I know what to get my hands on! I love trying new beers!

SlackMage said:
This is Pyramid Hefeweizen. It is my favorite beer ever! I believe it is brewed somewhere in Washington. It is unfiltered to give it that extra taste and aroma!

Pyramid is from the Seattle area. The Pyramid Alehouse restaurant and bar is right across the street from Safeco Field.

BlackMage

Banned
distantmantra said:
Pyramid is from the Seattle area. The Pyramid Alehouse restaurant and bar is right across the street from Safeco Field.

let's see: you guys have Pyramid beer AND the Seahawks?! Best city ever? I think so

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
SlackMage said:
well gee, give us some examples then, so that when I visit NY or wherever you are from I know what to get my hands on! I love trying new beers!
Of breweries? I am partial to Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point Brewery. The only one I didn't like that I have tried from those two was the Pale Ale from Brooklyn.

Wellington said:
Of breweries? I am partial to Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point Brewery. The only one I didn't like that I have tried from those two was the Pale Ale from Brooklyn.
I was throwing back some Brooklyn Lager just last night. Good stuff.

ltd220pintim7.jpg

I've been enjoying the Full Sail LTD series, bottling number 02 lately.

ltd02recipevh9.jpg

It is quite delicious, and has a higher alcohol content than some at 6.4% by vol.

It must have just come out recently, because the Full Sail website still says Coming Soon under this product. I never had a chance to try bottling number 01, so I don't know how it compares.

EDIT: I also like that we are getting the Official NeoGAF Saturday Night Drunk Thread started early!

Phobophile said:
30913.jpg

225.jpg

The bastards stopped shipping Bell's to Illinois months ago, dammit. *shakes fist*

I can't believe there's no more Bell's in Chicago, it sucks. One of my friends drove to Wisconsin and bought 3 cases of it.

Holy crap... I could go nuts in here...

Pizza Port
Stone
Green Flash
Lost Abby

And that's just Southern California representing. :)

And if you live in Southern California and you have not been here: Hi Time Wine Cellars

SHAME ON YOU.

fart

Savant
i'm partial to the norcal anchor steam brew.

but now i want to try half the beers in this thread. thanks ****ERS

Oh, and if you don't live in an area that has a kick ass bar with tons of stuff on tap... check and see if you have a BevMo in the area. They have a suprisingly good selection of beers that you wouldn't expect.

Dali said:
Is it? No wonder it doesn't taste like thick bitter ass to me. Is it American?

It's a Molson product which is Canadian I think... I'd imagine they squeeze moose piss to make it. And then water it down.

I tried one a few months ago because that's all someone had. I blacklisted it immediately.

genjiZERO

For the most part American beer sucks hard - Rolling Rock, Yeungling? uh no

but Sierra Navada is a very good American brewer

SierraNevadaBigfootBarleywine.jpg

as good as any barley wine out there

Big-E

I don't like American beer but MGD's are like liquid gold to me. MGD is a great beer and is probably my favorite North American beer.

BlackMage

Banned
genjiZERO said:
For the most part American beer sucks hard

are you qualified to make this statement? have you tried even a couple of suggestions in this thread yet? Though, I agree Rolling Rock sucks so that doesn't count!!!!

genjiZERO

SlackMage said:
are you qualified to make this statement? have you tried even a couple of suggestions in this thread yet? Though, I agree Rolling Rock sucks so that doesn't count!!!!

I've been brewing beer for 3 years. I brew mead too. I drink a lot of very high end beer. I've been to the Rochefort brewery. Yes I am

edit: also I said "for the most part". There still are some very decent American breweries, Sierra Nevada, Saranac etc

eudaemonic said:
It's a Molson product which is Canadian I think... I'd imagine they squeeze moose piss to make it. And then water it down.

I tried one a few months ago because that's all someone had. I blacklisted it immediately.
Yes, it sucks. I can't stand the blue moon + orange slice craze that's going on around here. It's 90% people that don't even like beer. "HURHURHUR I'M DRINKING A BEER".

scissorfight said:
Yes, it sucks. I can't stand the blue moon + orange slice craze that's going on around here. It's 90% people that don't even like beer. "HURHURHUR I'M DRINKING A BEER".

Oh, kinda like Corona... *laughing*

genjiZERO said:
For the most part American beer sucks hard - Rolling Rock, Yeungling? uh no
Rolling Rock and Yeungling do suck. There are over 1300 microbreweries in the US, though, and for the most part, they're brewing real beers, not the "fizzy yellow water" that beer lovers love to hate.

If we judge a country's beer by whatever's most widely known, then British, German, and Canadian (especially Canadian) beers suck, too.

Big-E

slidewinder said:
Rolling Rock and Yeungling do suck. There are over 1300 microbreweries in the US, though, and for the most part, they're brewing real beers, not the "fizzy yellow water" that beer lovers love to hate.

If we judge a country's beer by whatever's most widely known, then British, German, and Canadian (especially Canadian) beers suck, too.

Molson Canadian is what Canadian's are most widely known for and it certainly does not suck.
If you are taking about Blue then I can agree with you. Did you know that nobody carries Blue in restaurants here in Vancouver?

Big-E said:
Molson Canadian is what Canadian's are most widely known for
Exactly.
and it certainly does not suck.
It's a little better than Bud. A little, but very much in the same style. It sucks hard if you care at all to drink a beer with actual flavor. If you do care, then be proud of, say, Unibroue, rather than bubbly pisswater like Molson Canadian.

Big-E

I don't mean to say that Canadian is the best or anything but it is certainly better than Bud and other generic crap. It really depends where you get your Canadian. If you go to a good bar that keeps the pipes clean, fresh Canadian is really good. And screw the haters, MGD is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom