• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End the Ignorance: Good U.S. Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this notion that American beer sucks has got to stop. Yes, MACRO American beer is watery, flavorless swill, and yes, that makes up a large part of our advertising on airwaves. But there are SO many quality mirco-breweries out there, that I have no qualms in saying the US produces the best and most interesting/diverse beer in the world. And I've had over 250 beers from 17 countries.

So, you want examples? Well, let's start at the top (in terms of popularity):

left_bottles.jpg

You've all heard of this one, maybe had this one. Fact of the matter is Sam Adams is pretty much a large brewery these days. But the Boston Lager is not all they have. They've got dozens of different beers, some real interesting ones (the Double Bock has a 1/2lb of malt in each bottle!) and some balls-to-the-wall stuff (their Utopias is brewed in very limited quantities, and is 25% alcohol, the world record in that regard. And ohbytheway it's about $130 for 20oz of the stuff). So Sam is leading the way in the craft beer movement.

samadams_utopiasmm.jpg

^ Picture of Utopias.

Let's get into the BEST craft brewers in America (that are also fairly widespread, if you go to your local beer distributor). Think of these places as the RPGs of the beer world, the ones all the fanboys clamor over, and won't shut the hell up about, but ones maybe mainstream audience haven't heard of. First, there's Stone Brewing Company in California:

stone-oaked-ab6.jpg

Their most famous product is the Arrogant Bastard, an American-style Strong Ale that is around 8% alcohol and is on the weaker end of their spectrum. They also have a fabulous India Pale Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, and Smoked Porter (which as the name implies, is used with wood-smoked malts). They are also known for kegging and storing their brews in interesting ways; inside oaked barrels, brandy barrels, or "dry hopping" their beers. If you see something from them, pick it up.

421.jpg

^ Picture of Smoked Porter

Next, let's go to Delaware, and the Dogfish Head Brewery. If you've seen the Modern Marvels on beer (and if you like beer, you should try and find it on TV) you've seen this brewery.

dfh.gif

They also pride themselves on strong, hoppy beers that pack as much flavor as it does alcohol. Their most famous beer, the IPA, is brewed in four different varieties; the 60 minute, 75 minute, 90 minute, and 120 minute. The time refers to the hopping process of the beer; the longer the time, the hoppier and more alcoholic the beer is. Needless to say , the 120 Minute IPA ranks in at about 21% alcohol and $10 for a 12oz bottle. It's also one of their more popular beers.

DFH also does some interesting research and has come up with unique, if ancient, recipes. The Chateau Jiahu is one of the more intriguing ones:

Inspired by a beverage found in clay posts in China around 9000 years ago. In keeping with historic evidence, Dogfish brewers used pre-gelatinized rice flakes, Wildflower honey, Muscat grapes, barley malt, hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers. The rice and barley malt were added together to make the mash for starch conversion and degradation. The resulting sweet wort was then run into the kettle. The honey, grapes, Hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers were then added. The entire mixture was boiled for 45 minutes, and then cooled. The resulting sweet liquid was pitched with a fresh culture of Sake yeast and allowed to ferment a month before the transfer into a chilled secondary tank.

If that isn't the complete opposite of Big Macro Companies, I don't know what it. They also have a similar one called Midas Touch, which is based off a recipe found in clay pots of ancient Egypt.

24259.jpg

^ Picture of Cateau Jiahu

On our last stop we'll go to the grandfather of American Craft brewing; Anchor Brewery. This brewery has been around since before prohibition, but was one of the few to actually make it through. Instead of trying to compete with the big boys and producing a copycat lager, they decided to create a more homemade, small-town quality to the beer. The result was the foundation to all craft brewing as we know it.

150px-AnchorSteamBeerBottle.jpg

^ That is the California Steam Beer, a style rarely made anymore, but the flagship beer of Anchor. It's a golden lager with much more flavor and body than your typical pale yellow beer. Along with that they have many other classic styles, including a porter, stout, and bock.

So that's a mini rundown of the better craft breweries in the US (not counting Sierra Nevada, which is also fantastic but has been mentioned a few times already). I'm sure you can find at least one (or more) of these if you go to a local beer store. After you come back, please re-enter this thread and tell us how awful American beer is.

And because I'm from Long Island, I have to pop my local breweries; Brooklyn, Blue Point, and Southampton. All three are excellent, and can be found in about half the states, so check em out.

11221.jpg

bb_brownale.jpg

southampton.jpg

People are asking for good American beers, and people mention Rolling Rock and MGD? :lol

Let's roll...

http://www.ommegang.com/ (Try Three Philosophers, or really anything)

http://stonebrew.com/ (Pretty much everything, but I prefer their Pales and IPAs)

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/ (Again, it's all good.. but Pliny the Younger is my favorite, but Elder does just fine when the other is out of season.)

http://www.allagash.com/ (Try the White Ale)

http://www.marinbrewing.com/ (Prefer their Pale and IPA, though also like their Barleywine and Stout a lot)

http://www.moylans.com/ (like their IPAs, Pale and Irish Red)

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/ (like all of it)

http://www.sierranevada.com/ (Pale and Big Foot)

http://www.dragonmead.com/ (haven't had a bad one yet, their Belgian Triple is great)

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/ (Bam Bière and Luciernaga)

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/ (Red Seal, Old Rasputin. the rest is good too)

http://www.konabrewingco.com/ (Fire Rock Pale Ale)

Jugendstil said:
I can't believe there's no more Bell's in Chicago, it sucks. One of my friends drove to Wisconsin and bought 3 cases of it.

They make the stuff about a mile from where I work. We walk down there every now and then and have a few. Goodtimes. :D

Bell's just put out this Grand Hotel Ale (I think that's what it's called anyways) that's very, very good. I'm sure it'll only be out for a couple of months (or less). :(

VALIS

turbodog_brew_box.jpg

Abita Turbodog. It's an old New Orleans area beer but I recently started finding it in New Jersey. Fine stuff.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
US beer is nowhere near as bad as most non-USians believe it to be. Against that, it's still a long way behind British beer or Belgian beer (depending on the type of beer you like). I tend to drink it for major NFL events. :)

Chichikov

Industrially mass produced beer sucks (yes, even if it says it is made from a secret Belgium monks recipe on the label), in the US, prohibition killed many of the smaller breweries, leaving the the market largely controlled by the Budweisers, Coors and their ilk.
But in pretty much every North American city you can find great local beer.

much like you don't judge every Dutch beer by Heineken, you should not fault the US's due to Miller.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Far better than the Pyramid version... Though I do enjoy a lot of Pyramid beers and I LOVE the ale house across from Safeco.
hef_top.jpg

Also, those that said Deschutes are right! Full Sail also makes some decent beer. Not to mention Redhook. All quality American beers.

Favre4435 said:
Also, those that said Deschutes are right!

Deschutes is my very favorite, but I don't think it's sold outside of Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

What makes it even better is that a good family friend became the head brewmaster a few years ago. Weekends in Bend drinking all kinds of special beers rule.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
Deschutes is my very favorite, but I don't think it's sold outside of Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

What makes it even better is that a good family friend became the head brewmaster a few years ago. Weekends in Bend drinking all kinds of special beers rule.

Nice! Yeah, Bend is a fantastic area and the brewery is great.

Chichikov said:
Industrially mass produced beer sucks (yes, even if it says it is made from a secret Belgium monks recipe on the label), in the US, prohibition killed many of the smaller breweries, leaving the the market largely controlled by the Budweisers, Coors and their ilk.
But in pretty much every North American city you can find great local beer.

much like you don't judge every Dutch beer by Heineken, you should not fault the US's due to Miller.

Yup, stay away from pretty much any beer advertised on TV. There are so many better beers to be found at local breweries. Bell's is good, but it's not even my favorite microbrewery in little ole Kalamazoo. I can't begin to imagine what I'm missing from all the other microbreweries in the country.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Forgotten Ancient said:
Yup, stay away from pretty much any beer advertised on TV. There are so many better beers to be found at local breweries.

This isn't an American thing. It seems to be a universal rule that the quality of the beer is inversely proportional to the quality of the advertising.

terrene

Banned
2007_01_botw2.jpg

1554, mother****ers!

Too bad this is only "technically" American. (Brewed in Colorado in the style of Belgian beers, which are my fave.) Doesn't hold a candle to a real Belgian like Grand Cru or something, but for American beer it's quite good.

Triz

SlackMage said:
I hear a lot of crap from foreigners and a lot of people in the states that think they know their shit saying American Beer sucks. Well, if all you've drank is Coors/Bud/Miller you don't know jack shit. I know there are others out there that have drank some really good US beer and I want to hear your suggestions! Ill start: This is Pyramid Hefeweizen. It is my favorite beer ever! I believe it is brewed somewhere in Washington. It is unfiltered to give it that extra taste and aroma!

951.jpg

actually brewed in Sacramento CA :)

and this beer pwns all

18_0426feat.jpg

AntoneM

One brewer that some of you may see in the next few years or so in Four Peaks... it's just a few block from me (in Tempe, AZ) and they just started to sell it in local stores. Their most popular beer is:
Kiltlifter
Our award-winning Flagship ale is now in bottles!! This is an ale made in the tradition of the great strong ales of Scotland. Amber colored, malty sweet with underlying note of smokiness.

Alcohol content approximately 6.0% by volume (ALWAYS ON TAP!!)
Medals - Great American Beer Festival (GABF) 1998 & 1999 & 2003 - Bronze - Scottish-Style Ale

However, I love Hop Knot. I wouldn't drink any other beer if I had a choice
Hop Knot
Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie…

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Alcohol content approximately 6.0% by volume (ALWAYS ON TAP!!)
Medals - World Beer Cup 2006 - Bronze - American Strong Pale Ale

Great American Beer Festival (GABF) 2006- Bronze- American-Style Strong Pale Ale

I honestly think they will be a regional brew in a few years.

---edit---
I forgot to mention the most godly of all brews ever made ever!! (too bad it's a seasonal)
Hop Squatch
Hopsquatch® Barleywine NOW ON DRAFT (April 2007)
What is it?
Barleywines are super strength beers that have their roots in old England. They are comparable to Ports or Sherry in their sweet flavor and high potency. Ours is more of an American style in that it has been infused with massive amounts of hops.
How was it made so strong?
Lots of malt. In other words, lots of food for yeast. More yeast food equals more alcohol. When there is so much alcohol though, the beer needs time fore those flavors to mellow out. So we aged Hopsquatch for one year in stainless. This long aging period also allowed some of the harsh bitter flavor from the hops to buffer out and blend with all of the other flavors. This creates a fine, full flavored, very complex ale.
What's with the name?
Traditionally barleywines have colorful names like, Monster, Old Nick, Sudden Death, Old Knucklehead, Old Fart, etc. Ours is no different. When we brewed it we had these metaphorical visions of a twelve foot tall hop-covered beast lurking in the cellar for a year. No body believed us, so like the legend of Bigfoot, Hopsquatch was born… That, and it sounds funny.
What's with the "Pimp-Chalice" glassware?
See the above description (Hat tip to all the brewers on this one).

Medals - World Beer Cup 2006 - Gold- Barleywine Style Ale
Medals - World Beer Cup 2004 - Bronze - Imperial or Double Red Ale

But it's not a beer...

shoplifter

Forgotten Ancient said:
I can't begin to imagine what I'm missing from all the other microbreweries in the country.

Don't even get me started. Finding local breweries is always my first order of business when I go somewhere. Luckily we have several good ones here in Columbus so I'm not missing out on the local stuff. I keep meaning to drive out to Three Floyds so I can buy some Dark Lord, since they don't distribute it.

My fridge currently contains:

1 Ommegang Abbey
1 Pauwel Kwak
14 Stone Imperial Russian Stout (I buy 12 every year and drink one every 4-6 weeks to let it age over the course of the year)
2 Stone Double Bastard (this is SO over the top, much like everything they do)
1 Stone Smoked Porter
1 Siletz Redhead
1 Breckenridge 417 Double-hopped IPA

1 Case pyramid Hefeweizen
1 bottle Great Lakes Blackout Stout

I've been wanting to start brewing my own stuff but I need to make sure I can get something to store the finished product in over the long term. Once I get my shit in order I'm planning to try mostly stouts, possibly some bocks/dopplebocks, and IPAs.

I started on Guinness, but for ****'s sake it tastes like water to me now, I need Russian Imperials to satisfy my stout cravings.

Chichikov

shoplifter said:
14 Stone Imperial Russian Stout (I buy 12 every year and drink one every 4-6 weeks to let it age over the course of the year)
seconded.
it may not be your beer of choice for a summer day at the ballgame, but boy does it taste good.

my last batch of homebrewing was pretty much fashioned after this beer, with stellar results.

kablooey

My experience with beers is pretty limited, but I like me some Newcastle. :) Oh, but that's not American, right. I like Yuengling every now and then. I've heard good things about the Sierra Nevada pale ale, but haven't actually encountered it yet.

shoplifter

I have nothing bad to say about Newcastle. Very drinkable.

If any of you have INHD, check out Beer Nutz. Sometimes the hosts piss me off, but the guests are usually great.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I drink pabst exclusively because I'm poor, and also because I like the taste of piss swishing around in my mouth. I also hate foreigners*.

*except any mods who are reading this and might be foreign, and or KiNeSiS and Ninja Scooter, if either of them is foreign.

max_cool said:
But it's not a beer...

Actually, Barleywines are beers. They're called "barley wine" because many of them can be as strong as wine (in ABV), but since they're brewed with grain and not fruit, they're very much-so beers.

AntoneM

worldrunover said:
Actually, Barleywines are beers. They're called "barley wine" because many of them can be as strong as wine (in ABV), but since they're brewed with grain and not fruit, they're very much-so beers.
Damn my ignorance!

but thanks for the info

Triz

Chichikov said:
nope.
it's based in Seattle.
But they also have breweries in other places in the west coast.

joo are correct sir, pardon my ignorance. I have bought kegs form the local brewery and figured they were from here :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
iapetus said:
This isn't an American thing. It seems to be a universal rule that the quality of the beer is inversely proportional to the quality of the advertising.
Not really. Miller Lite is slightly less shitty than Bud Lite. I can't even remember the last time I've seen a Bud commercial.

genjiZERO

shoplifter said:
I've been wanting to start brewing my own stuff but I need to make sure I can get something to store the finished product in over the long term. Once I get my shit in order I'm planning to try mostly stouts, possibly some bocks/dopplebocks, and IPAs.

homebrewing is pretty easy. Just save up all your bottles (rinse them after you pour them), they're completely recyclable. 22s are the best size. You you even reuse your Belgian cork bottles (if you buy a corker). Bocks and dopplebocks are difficult to make because they're lagers and require a dedicated refrigerator to keep the temp down while fermenting. But Stouts and IPA (especially IPAs) are ales and so pretty easy to do because you can let them ferment at room temp. You can also do Belgian styles, but honestly I've never had a good homebrew, Belgian style (or non Belgian made Belgian style for that matter), But overall English styles come out vvery wellCheck out this book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Papazian

As everyone has said, ignore the mass marketed shit and go for the micro brews. There are an insane amount of great breweries here in the U.S but they don't get any press. It does piss me off that the majority of the morons in this country buy Bud/Coors/Miller when they could have GOOD beer for less! With a higher ABV to boot (if you just want to get drunk). But then again, this is America and most Americans are worthless.

A lot of people have already listed my favorites. Now, I am going to go enjoy some Arrogant Bastard. :)

genjiZERO

max_cool said:
Damn my ignorance!

but thanks for the info

try out that Sierra Nevada barleywine I mentioned on the first page - it's pretty awesome. Also Dark Island (the same brewery that makes Skullsplitter) is a great barleywine too

Chichikov

briefcasemanx said:
I drink pabst exclusively because I'm poor, and also because I like the taste of piss swishing around in my mouth. I also hate foreigners*.
funny (or not) story about PBR -
for many years, the only place I've ever seen it was in that great scene from Blue Velvet, (I guess it wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that they don't export that shit) as you can imagine, there was a mystic aura around that vowel deprived Pabst and its ribbon, I wasn't even sure if it's a real bear.
Imagine my awe when I first step into an American gas station store, and lo and behold, right there in the fridge, in all its glory -
PABST!
BLUE!
RIBBON!

needless to say the actual beer didn't quite lived to its hype.
DAMN YOU FRANK BOOTH!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I think when most people say "American beer sucks" they are actually voicing a 2-part opinion. 1. American beer sucks and 2. (The silent opinion which is never voiced): There is probably good American beer somewhere but it's too hard to find.

The problem isn't that Americans are bad at making beer, it's that the good stuff isn't easy to find. You can't just walk to any store and grab a six-pack of the stuff most of you have been posting and until that changes, American beer sucks.

Oh and Sam Adams is overrated - definitely not a good example of American beer. I remember being really surprised the first time I had it. I was expecting it to be great because of the way people talked about it. Then I thought maybe it was an isolated incident, but, nope - everytime Ive had it its been bad. Although the cherry wheat is pretty good, aside from it tasting a little like cough syrup.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard good American beer is very hard to find on the East coast. I'm glad I live in Washington (state), we have so many microbreweries in this area that produce awesome beer that can be found in even the lowest gas station convience stores.

140.85 said:
I think when most people say "American beer sucks" they are actually voicing a 2-part opinion. 1. American beer sucks and 2. (The silent opinion which is never voiced): There is probably good American beer somewhere but it's too hard to find.

The problem isn't that Americans are bad at making beer, it's that the good stuff isn't easy to find. You can't just walk to any store and grab a six-pack of the stuff most of you have been posting and until that changes, American beer sucks.

Oh and Sam Adams is overrated - definitely not a good example of American beer. I remember being really surprised the first time I had it. I was expecting it to be great because of the way people talked about it. Then I thought maybe it was an isolated incident, but, nope - everytime Ive had it its been bad. Although the cherry wheat is pretty good, aside from it tasting a little like cough syrup.

Isn't easy to find? You can find at the very least find Sierra Nevada at most local liquor beer stores. (Fat Tire's pretty common too)

However, picking is good in Southern California. We've got places like Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, several BevMo locations, Father's Office in LA, Naja's in Redondo, Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa, Stuffed Sandwich in the valley, Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, the three Pizza Port Locations as well as some of the best craft breweries anywhere. (Stone, Green Flash, Alesmith, Pizza Port etc.)

JCBossman

Banned
NOT only does the US make fine beer, but good inexpensive wines also, for those "Holiday Fun Seekers" from abroad, just get a bottle of each, and I'm sure your trip to the US will be something to remember.:)
nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom