• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End the Ignorance: Good U.S. Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite American beer that I've had is called Old Detroit - don't know if they still make it though. Had it once with some bacon carbonara which still ranks as one of my favourite meals I've ever eaten.

The finest American beers are imported from Europe using the dishwater from where glasses filled with European beer were cleaned. Sorry, but claiming there's "good American beer" is like British people claiming there's "good Bristish food".

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
They do Bud on tap down the road, and I actually quite like it, much to the amusement of all my friends. So in conclusion, yay for US beer!

I guess it depends where you are in the US. Where I am (north of Metro Detroit) I have about 6 stores within a 2 mile radius that sell a shitload of quality small brewery stuff. It's a matter of knowing where to go.

Smiling Bandit said:
The finest American beers are imported from Europe using the dishwater from where glasses filled with European beer were cleaned. Sorry, but claiming there's "good American beer" is like British people claiming there's "good Bristish food".
You're a moron.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Not sure if seasonal brews count but...
165.jpg

God's Beard said:
American beer is for pansies. Hell, beer in general is for pansies.

Let us know when you've evolved past needing to get completely plastered every time you drink and get to the more important factors like flavor. (and not, for example, bullet wound sterlization)

SaggyMonkey said:
Let us know when you've evolved past needing to get completely plastered every time you drink and get to the more important factors like flavor. (and not, for example, bullet wound sterlization)

Yeah really. Don't drink to get bombed, drink for the flavor! It'll improve your drinking experience every time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
scissorfight said:
there are so many fantastic small breweries in the US that anyone making that statement must be a total moron
qft

when generalizing about Miller or Bud, yes.. they are weak. but ANY ANY ANY area has some small local microbrew that is usually putting out good stuff. Also some smaller national brews like Harp, old Rolling Rock (RIP), Leinenkugels, Sam Adams, etc.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm willing to learn. Any fellow Houstonians have any suggestions regarding places around here that would sell some of the micro-brew choices? Most of my alcohol has come from bars, Spec's, and...ya know, the local gas station.

gkryhewy

My personal favorite beer is Victory Brewing Co's Golden Monkey. Victory is local to the Philadelphia area, but I believe they're nationally distributed.

beer_gm.jpg

ABOUT
Strong and sensual, this golden, Belgian-style ale glows with goodness. The richness of German malts and Belgian yeast are tempered by a sparkling approach and overall light body. Considerable depth of character with abundant herbal, fruity notes make this one to savor.

COMPOSITION
Malts: 2 row German malt
Hops: European whole flowers
Yeast: imported, of Belgian origin
Alcohol by volume: 9.5%

tedtropy said:
I'm willing to learn. Any fellow Houstonians have any suggestions regarding places around here that would sell some of the micro-brew choices? Most of my alcohol has come from bars, Spec's, and...ya know, the local gas station.
Beer Advocate is a good place to start. Reviews of liquor stores and local breweries, etc.

shoplifter

gkrykewy said:
Victory is local to the Philadelphia area, but I believe they're nationally distributed.

I'm a fan of Storm King and Hopdevil myself. Victory's products are available here in Columbus, so I'm pretty sure they're nationally distributed, but I suppose its possible that people on BA went to some lengths to aquire their stuff.

For those interested in what the top homebrewers in the country can offer, check out Sam Adams' LongShot six-pack. It's three winners from last year's homebrew contest. There's an Old Ale, a Dortmunder Export lager, and a Boysenberry Wheat. I've had them, and they're all quite good. Much better than my brew :(

Aisenherz

Banned
Best beer ever:

Gold Ochsen
logo_goldochsen.gif

GoldOchsen.jpg

and their second beer:

Oxx
flaschen.jpg

(Bought it in germany during the Games Convention! Totally awesome!!!!)

For a few years I've been saying that America is the best beer producer in the world because of its diversity. We have amazingly good reproductions of every beer in the world (except Hefeweisens, Franziskaner and Weinstephaner are completely untouched), and America is the king of hops right now.

In Mass I can't find 3 Floyds or Russian River beers, which makes me sad since I've been hearing about them for a while.

No love for GREAT DIVIDE brewery? Yeti Imperial Russian Stout is probably my favorite dark beer ever.

Sanjuro

Freest Rolexes said:
For a few years I've been saying that America is the best beer producer in the world because of its diversity. We have amazingly good reproductions of every beer in the world (except Hefeweisens, Franziskaner and Weinstephaner are completely untouched), and America is the king of hops right now.

In Mass I can't find 3 Floyds or Russian River beers, which makes me sad since I've been hearing about them for a while.

No love for GREAT DIVIDE brewery? Yeti Imperial Russian Stout is probably my favorite dark beer ever.
I'm in MA as well. I've taken a liking to whatever is on tap over bottle...in some cases going to pool halls that have nothing on tap so just going with gin. But my choices are small here mostly its Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Freest Rolexes said:

Good beer. I'm pretty lucky because of Columbus's surprisingly great microbrew selection. I can get Stone, Bell's, Three Floyds, Alesmith, Great Lakes, Great Divide, Avery, Weyerbacher, Rochefort Trappestis, St. Bernardus, etc.

Anyone that says American beers suck aren't looking in the right places :)

I use ratebeer.com for all my beer needs.

No6

Freest Rolexes said:
Well, RRBC is about as far from Mass as you can get as far as shipping goes. Fortunately I work 3 blocks from it (and 1 block from another brewery). Time to refill the growlers.

And as for finding beers, my local Safeway (Santa Rosa, CA) has a pretty decent selection of the larger "micro" brews, and the local BevMo has almost every beer from the Sonoma, Marin, and Mendocino counties.

And if you live in Sacramento, there's a brewery called Brew It Up (or was a few years ago, dunno now, also not sure if it's a chain) where, on top of some really delicious dark beers, you can sign up for a class to use their facility and make your own beers, bottled and everything.

I'm in MA as well. I've taken a liking to whatever is on tap over bottle...in some cases going to pool halls that have nothing on tap so just going with gin. But my choices are small here mostly its Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams.

If you're looking for a crazy amount of beer in Boston, check out Sunset Grill in Allston. They have about 100 beers on tap, and two to three hundred more in bottles. The food there is pretty good for pub food, too.

Another great place for beer is Red Bones in Somerville. Its not as vast as sunset, but the quality and selection is always good. And they have some of the best BBQ in new england to boot.

tedtropy said:

Hopefully you have been to the Spec's in downtown, the best liquor store in Texas.

Anyone ever tried brewing their own beer before?

I have a friend who works for a beer distributing company, and he just brewed up a batch of chocolate mint stout. Sounds awful, tastes ****ing amazing.

Flo_Evans

St. louis, the home of budwieser, is also the home of a great micro-brew called schlafly

02.bu%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

Their Saison summer brew is amazing.

Budwieser gets knocked alot, but I would recommend trying it if you are ever in the STL area. It tastes ALOT different when you get it here vs. other citys or abroad.

KingGondo

Banned
Had some of this at a restaurant the other day, and it was fantastic. Not even a big stout fan, but this might just make me into one!

429shakespeare.jpg

Brewed in Oregon, I believe.

Fat Tire is good, as are some of the Shiner beers--Blonde is excellent. I'd really like to try some of the other New Belgium beers, but they don't send any to Oklahoma. :(

newsguy said:
Now thats what the **** I'm talking about!

Also, I can't believe no one mentioned this modern marvel (ironically it's immitating the German Bock beer).

Michelob_AmberBock-Beer.jpg

Not a fan of their AmberBock, but around Christmas they had some seasonal limited batches of both a Vanilla and Chocolate beers that were pretty good.

newsguy

KingGondo said:
429shakespeare.jpg

Brewed in Oregon, I believe.

I'll tell you what. If you like chocolate beer check out the Rogue version (it has a chick instead of a guy on the label). It's awesome, comparable to Young's double chocolate (English beer).

Enron

Banned
Joico said:
What about Shiner?

Shiner-family-bottles.gif

Hate it every time I can't find a state that doesn't have my beer.

Shiner is available in Georgia. I drink a lot of it. It's awesome. Another awesome Texas brew.

Drewsy

Banned
If you think American beer is shit then you need to come to Ohio. I don't know if this is just an ohio thing, but for some reason we have microbreweries all over the place, there's practically a market here in Northern Ohio for who can brew the best beer.

Fusebox

Banned
This is a good thread because every American beer I've tried really has tasted like piss, and yes I only tried the big common brands.

What can I get in Oz that will be an example of good US brewski?

coldvein

Banned
Wellington said:
This is stupid, there are so many small breweries around here that pump out delicious delicious beer but are obscure to the point that no one outside of the region has heard of 'em. Those micro-brew beers, IMO, are the best tasting.

yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom