• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#EndRegionLocking for NX at E3 2016

j_VPQOk_QIq_MHQ.png

In 2013, 2014, and 2015, we campaigned to have Nintendo remove region-locking on the 3DS and Wii U.
Together, we've made great progress in getting our message across to Nintendo. Instead of the dismissiveness we heard from Iwata at E3 2013, now we're hearing positive consideration, at least for the NX.

NOW is the time to remind Nintendo that we don't want NX to be saddled with region-locking. The actual decision will likely be made very soon.

How can I help?

0. Subscribe to this thread!

1. Post your own messages and drawings on the Miiverse Nintendo@E3 2016 Community asking for region-free consoles! Post links in this thread; Miiverse posts listed in this thread will be added to the OP.

2. Yeah these Miiverse posts asking for an end to region-locking! Updated regularly.

Dear Nintendo, it's time to #EndRegionLocking. Please let us expand our gaming horizons while putting more money in the pockets of you and other developers. Let us buy games on vacation and for family members overseas. Let us buy games we are unable to otherwise. Don't turn down extra sales, say yes to our money. If not on 3DS & Wii U, then don't miss the chance to make NX region-free. Thank you.

Day 1:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z53LEV6A
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z54Gu2cg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z53_62QQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z54hFcKA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z54kktlA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z54fsImg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z55hzclQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z55AT7zw
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z54X5oSQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z55vV97g
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z56CLdHA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z557DtfQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0Z5yNwpEg

3. Post on Twitter and other social media under the hashtags #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree.

Post on Nintendo's official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo

Tweet at:
@Nintendo
@NintendoAmerica
@NintendoEurope
@NintendoUK
@NintendoES
@NintendoFrance
@‏NintendoDE
@‏NintendoItalia
@‏NintendoPT
@‏NintendoAT
@‏NintendoBE_NL
@‏NintendoNL
@‏NintendoCH_DE
@‏NintendoRU
@NintendoAUNZ

4. Follow @EndRegionLock on Twitter!

5. Please sign this petition! Now with over 36,000 signatures!

6. Please provide media coverage, or ask your favorite gaming journalist for coverage! We need as many people to ask Nintendo about this at E3 as possible.

7. Ask your gaming friends for their support in this campaign! Talk about this issue on your gaming podcast! Do YouTube videos! Cross-post this on other forums!

8. Don't be a Debbie Downer and say that it doesn't affect you or you don't care about this issue. Even if you don't import games now, you may want to for some future game. You, as a consumer, don't want to be prevented from having the chance to buy and play any game of your choosing.

9. If you can help us out with a Facebook page or with a website, please contact us!

10. Talk about the games you've imported that you wouldn't have been able to play had there been region-locking.

11. Ask your favorite publishers to talk to Nintendo about going region-free.

FAQ: Can region-locking be removed from the Wii U and 3DS?
We are operating on the assumption that it can be removed through a simple firmware update.

Previously...

May 2015: Iwata updates position on region-locking at Nintendo investor Q&A

Q7: When you were asked if you would lift the region locks at the Financial Results Briefing six months ago, you answered that you would take it into consideration. Please explain the current situation.

A7: Iwata: My understanding is that it is not realistic on the existing video game systems because unlocking them after they are already on the market poses a number of hurdles. On the other hand, regarding NX, we understand that many consumers hold such opinions and such suggestions exist in the market, and although we have nothing concrete at the moment, we are internally analyzing what hurdles exist to lifting region locks. That is the situation right now. We acknowledge your request, and I personally want to give it positive consideration.

October 2014: Iwata addresses region-locking at Nintendo investor Q&A

Q4: Currently, Nintendo hardware and games are region-locked in territories throughout the world, so that a game purchased in one region cannot be played in another. Are there plans to do away with that restriction and unlock them?

A4: Iwata: There have been various conditions at play in the game business, such as a history of localization taking an extremely long time, a variety of marketing constraints and circumstances in each country, and the fact that the license needed to sell games have not always been granted globally. In a sense, the region-lock has existed more for reasons having to do with the seller than the consumers. That has been the situation throughout the history of video game systems, and as for what should be done going forward, there may be advantages for the consumers and also for us if they were unlocked. Conversely, unlocking them would mean having to resolve different issues that would subsequently arise. While we have not decided whether we will unlock them or not, we do recognize that it is an issue that needs to be considered in the future.

E3 2015: #NintendoRegionFree 2015: Project NX

E3 2014: #NintendoRegionFree 2014 STARTS NOW!

E3 2013: Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Satoru Iwata said:
From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide.

There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.

I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego. There are some reasons behind it.

This was obviously an unsatisfactory answer. Region-locking IS a restriction, and such an anti-consumer practice has no place in luxury products. Other platform holders have dropped region-locking despite the same cultural, legal, and ratings issues.

What we want is to be able to play legally-purchased games for Nintendo platforms purchased from anywhere in the world, irregardless of any hardware region setting. If parental controls are a concern, access to out-of-region titles can simply be disabled by default and enabled by adults.

My body is ready for region-free gaming. Is yours?

Audioboxer

Great effort put into the OP, but it's Nintendo. They'll do whatever the fuck they want.

If you're an Atlus fan and in the EU, be prepared to worry.

Commo

Banned
Sadly, it's not going to happen. There is no monetary benefit for them to make their systems region free.

DJIzana

Do we need to even acknowledge this any more since Nintendo said awhile that they were looking into their next console (NX) being region free?

Obviously nothing has been confirmed but I think that statement is enough to say that it's probably going to happen. Just my thoughts.

Great effort put into the OP, but it's Nintendo. They'll do whatever the fuck they want.

If you're an Atlus fan and in the EU, be prepared to worry.

Pretty much my feelings on it.

They've likely made the decision a while ago, and I don't expect them to change their minds. This won't threaten the NX's position anywhere near as much as Xbox One style DRM would.

Audioboxer

Pretty much my feelings on it.

They've likely made the decision a while ago, and I don't expect them to change their minds. This won't threaten the NX's position anywhere near as much as Xbox One style DRM would.

Yup. Be hopeful they've decided region free because if they haven't by now genuinely don't expect fan outcry to change that. We've been bugging them for ages to stop it and nothing.

Their competitors aren't 100% region free either, you can't buy a US game and buy DLC from the EU store.

And I am pretty sure that Blu Ray/DVD movies are also region locked.

Pretty certain you can on XB1. MS actually one upped Sony on region free and made their whole marketplace region free. Not just discs.

Sony still tie accounts to regions. Although you can play all games on the console across different accounts.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Curious to see if this mindset changes, especially since their usual E3 mindset has changed this year and also they've recently been looking into phone apps. Basically, anything can potentially happen at this point, even a region free console.

Sadly, it's not going to happen. There is no monetary benefit for them to make their systems region free.

I didn't buy a wiiu because of region locking and would not buy a nx.

Are there more people like me? Yes. How many? That is the general idea of this.

Their competitors aren't 100% region free either, you can't buy a US game and buy DLC from the EU store.

You are wrong. You can buy dlc from any region, it just may or may not work with your game. You can still choose whatever region you want and I do.

As for bluray/dvd? Fair point, but the new 4k stuff is as region free as nintendo's handhelds used to be.

Audioboxer

I didn't buy a wiiu because of region locking and would not buy a nx.

Are there more people like me? Yes. How many? That is the general idea of this.

Probably not too many overall but it's more talk about getting free PR from the hardcore as good guy Nintendo for finally dumping region locking.

It's actually a genuine concern when publishers like Atlus don't know how to Europe.

Twelvy

Région lock is irrelevant in a digital-only future. Only one account per console (like the Vita) and region lock is back

Commo

Banned
Curious to see if this mindset changes, especially since their usual E3 mindset has changed this year.

I'll spoil that for you and tell you that their mindset will not change. Nintendo is one of the most anal when it comes regional price differences.

Mediking

Just a freaking shame Yakuza HD wasn't localized for Wii U and EX Troppers wasn't localized for 3DS. Just a dang shame.

dracula_x

Not all, especially Blu-rays. I would say about 40-50% Blu-ray movies are not region locked.

Commo

Banned
There is if they take advantage of the fact that importing is a niche and charge for it.

The problem would be that it could lead to negative PR, especially since the other companies are perceived as offering that functionality for free (even though they are just allowing developers/publishers to make that decision themselves).

The only way for this to go through would be for each individual publisher to convince Nintendo to let their games be region free, but I only see that being a possibility with titles that are in high demand that won't see releases in other regions.

Signed and subbed. I will not be buying into the NX platform if it is region-locked, simple as that. It is 2016 and there is simply no excuse for archaic business practices like that.

Phu

Banned
Region locking has only served as a limitation to my ability to play and purchase games. NX has to be the end of this practice for Nintendo.

KingBroly

Banned
I hope that if NX is region free, people are thankful for it and not be all 'bout time Nintendo.'

And given Nintendo's tone shift about it, it's going to be region free. Whenever they go from a staunch 'NO' to 'eh...we're looking at it' you know it's going to happen. Just like them and mobile gaming.

RexNovis

Banned
If they really do away with region locking on the NX i will buy one. Its the main reason I have skipped the WiiU and 3DS this gen and instead borrowed from friends. It such an outdated backwards policy and it really has no place in this global age.

Griss

Super OP.

Signed the petition, of course.

I'm in an even worse position than most. I've spent literally the last decade moving between NTSC-land and PAL-land, and now my 3DS is on a European Nintendo account and my Wii U is on an NTSC account. What I really need for them to do is give me a way to merge them, but that seems like an utter pipe dream.

I remember buying two gamecubes back in the day so I wouldn't have to drag one back and forth across the atlantic all the time, and using this funny little purple disc called a freeloader. I ended with 50% Pal games, 50% NTSC. Which was fine... until I lost the freeloader. Then I ended up with two copies of Pikmin, two copies of Paper Mario, two copies of Wind Waker etc etc.

Seriously, end region locking. It's bullshit.

Edit: ...this was the shit right here
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Eg8twap.jpg[/img]

That's not the case for the Xbox One at least. You can buy dlc from one region, and use it for a game purchased from another region. Plus you can use just one account instead of having to make separate accounts for each region.

DVD and Blu Ray region coding is an entirely separate beast on it's own so I'm not gonna place the blame on Sony and Microsoft for that.

Oxirane

They are going to announce that NX is region free, then sneak in that we will have to pay to play online while everyone is politely clapping.

Fuck region locking.

I mean I personally don't take advantage of it on any console. But I mean... it's the same damn console. The lock is purposeless and if anything reduces games sales.

Zebei

Even if it doesn't happen with NX, being quiet isn't going to change anything.

At least trying gives us a chance. Cheers to the cause.

Great OP, sucks that they never fixed it for the Wii U but I hope that this builds up momentum once again so that they can implement it with the NX. Best of luck with the campaign and I'll try to support it as much as I can!

That's not the case for the Xbox One at least. You can buy dlc from one region, and use it for a game purchased from another region. Plus you can use just one account instead of having to make separate accounts for each region.

DVD and Blu Ray region coding is an entirely separate beast on it's own so I'm not gonna place the blame on Sony and Microsoft for that.

Yeah, I don't expect Nintendo to get around the regional divisions with DVD/BluRay/video streaming playback.

With games, though, they miss out on so much goodwill from their customers. Even the bare minimum (because we know Nintendo likes going just that far) of not region-locking their hardware would be enough in my eyes. It's absolutely fucking insane that they are doing this when Japan alone clearly will not buoy their business, and they could use every bit of ammunition possible to prop the NX since they've clearly left the Wii U to wither away in an even worse state than they did with the Wii's twilight years.

Fuck region locking.

I mean I personally don't take advantage of it on any console. But I mean... it's the same damn console. The lock is purposeless and if anything reduces games sales.

I'm mostly the same way, but it's those rare moments for the average fan where not having it becomes really important. I strongly doubt Dark Souls would be a thing (or at least would not have broke out like it did) had people like myself not been able to play imported HK discs of Demon's Souls on our local PS3's and hype the game up enough for Atlus to consider it worth localizing.

Scum

#FuckRegionLocking

I swear that an investor asked about region free hardware at one of NCL recent Investor meetings...

MuchoMalo

Banned
The problem would be that it could lead to negative PR, especially since the other companies are perceived as offering that functionality for free (even though they are just allowing developers/publishers to make that decision themselves).

The only way for this to go through would be for each individual publisher to convince Nintendo to let their games be region free, but I only see that being a possibility with titles that are in high demand that won't see releases in other regions.

Or if the fee allows accessing other regions' eShops.

Top Bottom