• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#EndRegionLocking for NX at E3 2016

Can't remember how many years I have see this campaing going with no results.

Not gonna happen boys, but glad to see you are still in good sport after all this time.

Hilarion

Worth pointing out that the 3DS was actually their first region-locked handheld.

The other day I looked at the Wii U's region-exclusive game list to see if there was anything interesting that was Japan only.

Surprisingly, I only really saw Romance of the Three Kingdoms XII, Dragon Quest X (the MMO that was absolutely never going to be released in the West on a console with as small a userbase as the Wii U), and some Monster Hunter spinoffs. There's really very little that doesn't get localized these days.

EDIT: Also the Virtual Console is a totally different story and I doubt Nintendo is particularly keen on letting consumers accidentially end up with the JP release of some old game from the VC and start complaining.

KingBroly

Banned
Worth pointing out that the 3DS was actually their first region-locked handheld.

The other day I looked at the Wii U's region-exclusive game list to see if there was anything interesting that was Japan only.

Surprisingly, I only really saw Romance of the Three Kingdoms XII, Dragon Quest X (the MMO that was absolutely never going to be released in the West on a console with as small a userbase as the Wii U), and some Monster Hunter spinoffs. There's really very little that doesn't get localized these days.

EDIT: Also the Virtual Console is a totally different story and I doubt Nintendo is particularly keen on letting consumers accidentially end up with the JP release of some old game from the VC and start complaining.

DSi was

MegaMelon

Clearly you don't know the suffering of being an Atlus games fan in EU. We haven't even had SMT IV Apocalypse announced for our region whilst it has for NA, though after the god-awful SMT IV release I suppose it was to be expected.

Maxinas

I'd sign a petition if it was for the NX to be region free, because the 3ds and especially the wii u are as good as done. Anywho, nintendo has to learn from their shortcomings with the 3ds and wii u, otherwise the future will be grim.

It doesn't have to be easy to accidentally but a JP release. Look at how Sony does it. Wanna buy NA games? You need a NA PSN ID. Nintendo should make it so that you need to switch your My Nintendo account's region so that you access the relevant store. Anyone who ends up on a Japanese store and then 'accidentally' buys a JP game...well frankly they deserve it for their sheer stupidity.

I'd be hopefully of NX being region free given that My Nintendo seems pretty open. I was able to set up an account in the UK and from what I recall, I had the choice to select and change country (I set up an account with NA country setting because most of my games and systems are NTSC U). This is a positive sign.m, but then again, this IS Nintendo. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

I've added a bunch of Miiverse posts to the OP to yeah.

I'd be hopefully of NX being region free given that My Nintendo seems pretty open. I was able to set up an account in the UK and from what I recall, I had the choice to select and change country (I set up an account with NA country setting because most of my games and systems are NTSC U). This is a positive sign.m, but then again, this IS Nintendo. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

It's an encouraging sign, but certainly not guaranteed yet.

I had to buy two 3DS b cause of region locking. I'll do whatever to at least try to convince them that their next consoles are region free.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
C'mon Nintendo I'm tired of being on this train! I wanna get off! Only way ta do that is if ya quit with this backwards nonsense! For me importing is a really rare, but sadly sometimes necessary thing. So lemme have the option to do so already!

Just a freaking shame Yakuza HD wasn't localized for Wii U
More a shame it wasn't localized for the PS3. Coulda had the whole main series on one system, at least until the PS4-only ones came along. Then again peeps with fully BC PS3's like me had that all along!

Didn't both Nintendo and Sony actually sell JP "import" VC/PS1 Classics at one point? I doubt people will get confused. Heck, just do it like they're doing with the Pokémon VC games they're doing on the eshop right now: prompting people to select the language they want the game in.

Region free isn't just always about importing from Japan.

I'm curious how many people who join in on this campaign will actually take a stand if NX is region locked.

Will all of you join in and boycott the console?

Signed it, even if I probably won't be buying any of the next-gen systems

Personally, I want to know what's the benefit of making a region-locked system for Nintendo. Like, I can't really think of anything that would make region-locking a console a good choice, unless it's less costly or something, as it's more of a hindrance for the people who would benefit from it than anything else, such as those of whom who are moving to different regions or are importing games

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but:
1. It's never going to happen.
2. These hashtags comes across as more annoying than anything.
3. They know there's a demand and have addressed it before.
4. Only like 1% of Nintendo's consumers actually care.

Valiant effort, I guess.

Region free isn't just always about importing from Japan.

Yep. Unreleased games suck, but it is more about buying a game from Japan because you either happen to be there, or it just happens to work out cheaper to buy and ship it all the way across the world.

Which is of course why Nintendo loves region locking, so they can keep high prices per region while getting their own things made in the region with the lowest cost.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If Microsoft could be convinced to drop their shitty DRM, I don't see why Nintendo can't drop region locking.

Pretty sure that thread had a bunch of "Lol never gonna happen!" posts too.

Yep. Unreleased games suck, but it is more about buying a game from Japan because you either happen to be there, or it just happens to work out cheaper to buy and ship it all the way across the world.

Which is of course why Nintendo loves region locking, so they can keep high prices per region while getting their own things made in the region with the lowest cost.
There are just so many good reasons to have region free systems.

We live in a globalized world.

You could move to another region for a job. Now your console is a brick.

You could be in another country visiting and see a game you want to buy. Nope, can't do that.

A game might come out in your language in another country, but not in your own (this happens with Europe-USA in both directions), so you want to pick it up. Nope, can't do that.

There's no excuse.

Rich!

dont worry

it'll be hacked wide open as per usual, offering significantly better support in terms of emulation, region options and compatibility (for example, the full gamecube support on Wii U we currently have that Nintendo never bothered to utilise), and then people will wonder why Nintendo bothered region locking yet again whilst others wonder why people go to such extent to hack their consoles despite the evidence being right there

Keyouta

I really hope that the NX will be region free, they don't have a good reason for it not to be. Having to buy a second console if you moved between regions often is not what people want.

Dremark

Banned
I don't think this will ever happen with a Nintendo platform ever again after the DSi added it to thier portable line.

Good luck though, you're fighting the good fight.

Azalean

Banned
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but:
1. It's never going to happen.
2. These hashtags comes across as more annoying than anything.
3. They know there's a demand and have addressed it before.
4. Only like 1% of Nintendo's consumers actually care.

Valiant effort, I guess.

Pretty much.

I'm curious how many people who join in on this campaign will actually take a stand if NX is region locked.

I kinda feel like this is the wrong way to look at it.

I'll probably get an NX regardless, but if it was region free, I would buy quite a few more games. My vita library, for instance, has quite a few imports. I would never buy a 2nd console just for those imports, so region free just loses Nintendo the cash from those titles.

Rich!

Again, look at the 50hz shit we have to put up with in the UK/EU/AUS.

If Nintendo are content on selling their consumers literally butchered versions of their classics, that says it all. They do not listen, and when they do, they usually don't do what is actually wanted.

Bowl0l

We should have a poll to get everyone's opinion on how likely region lock will be removed by Nintendo.
I also doubt we can use one account in more than one handheld or console.

#not serious
I think Nintendo have decided to delay NX because at the last minute they added a fool proof way to prevent second hand game sales.

Again, look at the 50hz shit we have to put up with in the UK/EU/AUS.

If Nintendo are content on selling their consumers literally butchered versions of their classics, that says it all. They do not listen, and when they do, they usually don't do what is actually wanted.

Then why have they decided to go with US versions only for New Nintendo 3DS VC all of sudden? They even announced that during the Nintendo Direct. I think - I hope - they do listen, it's just impossible to switch from one internal ruleset to another in a moment.

Type_Raver

Sadly, it's not going to happen. There is no monetary benefit for them to make their systems region free.

Id like to counter this opinion by saying that there is a monetary benefit.

It starts with Good will.

What is a positive and negative example of good will in this industry? Allow me to remind you of the example proceeding the launch of the XBO and PS4. By XBO going digital only, this wouldve elimimated the existing physical trade-in and 2nd hand market and its economy, and the ability to borrow someones game. Many users depend on this and makes gaming more accessible by being more affordable. This left a negative effect on the Microsoft brand.

Enter Sony, with an absolutely classic counter attack clearly demostrating how they would do it with a short youtube video.
https://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

No doubt this contributed to the power shift from last gen to the current gen, and we shouldn't underestimate its effects.

Now what are the current sales figures between XBO & PS4 again?

I kinda feel like this is the wrong way to look at it.

I'll probably get an NX regardless, but if it was region free, I would buy quite a few more games. My vita library, for instance, has quite a few imports. I would never buy a 2nd console just for those imports, so region free just loses Nintendo the cash from those titles.
I really don't feel that it is the wrong way of looking at it.

I live in a globalized world. I have no interest in a region locked system in this day and age anymore. It's archaic, backwards, and I flat-out will not buy a console that has a lock ever again.

Sadly, it's not going to happen. There is no monetary benefit for them to make their systems region free.

Not directly, but a major impetus for the hacking community to find exploits and system flaws has been to circumvent the region lock. Unfortunately, some of those hacks have also helped pirates.

Signed it. Feels like Operation Rainfall all over again. Kind of a shame that Nintendo's fans have to formally petition the company to get the things they want. Makes them look really inflexible in 2016.

Moraizen

This picture alone is justification that region-lock should go the way of the dodo:

puyo-puyo-tetris-378343.9.jpg

(hugs JPN copy)

God bless my region-free PS4. I love Nintendo, but it's time they stop this idiot policy of theirs for good. I say it's worth a try, it can't get much more region-locked than it already is anyway.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hope this time they listen didn't buy a WiiU mostly because of the lock.
Also the people arguing against no lock just embarrass themselves as always.

Kudo

I'm biased cause someone I know will buy the console anyway and that way I get to play all games I want, but I will not support region locked console myself.
I haven't bought Wii U or 3DS, my friend has them so I've borrowed them for few games. If they were not region locked I'd definitely own at least 3DS.

Hopefully this reaches Nintendos ears.

liquidtmd

Banned
Nice effort but honestly Nintendo are as deaf as posts when it comes to this kind of thing IMO.

They aren't going to change.

This picture alone is justification that region-lock should go the way of the dodo:

puyo-puyo-tetris-378343.9.jpg

(hugs JPN copy)

God bless my region-free PS4. I love Nintendo, but it's time they stop this idiot policy of theirs for good. I say it's worth a try, it can't get much more region-locked than it already is anyway.

lol thats the first game i imported too. :)

It's so weird that the DS was region free. Then they were like.. nope! not anymore for our future handhelds!
taking your 3ds with you to japan? well the games wont work HA HA!

Nintendo need to get with the times. I wanted to buy a 3ds but with travelling to UK and japan alot it's useless to me if i can't buy a game when it comes out.

synce

Region lock is one of the main reasons I don't buy Nintendo consoles anymore. Good luck getting them to change

artsi

I really don't feel that it is the wrong way of looking at it.

I live in a globalized world. I have no interest in a region locked system in this day and age anymore. It's archaic, backwards, and I flat-out will not buy a console that has a lock ever again.

Yup.

I would have no problems if all game releases were simultaneous, but waiting 17 months for SMT IV was too much, considering I would have been able to play the JP version if region locking wasn't there.

Top Bottom