• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed next year

Lort

Banned
This thread is hilarious .. no great exclusives?
Forza 7> gt sport
Forza horizon 3 .. best car game ever
Quantum break awesome story and game
Artistic talent try ori and cuphead?

This is a waste of time, im out :)

Leyasu

Banned
Forza 7> gt sport

It's SonyGAF.

Even though this site is on gradually fading life support, there are still enough Sony fanboys left to create the first 8 page thread in a month

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That's nice, and entirely irrelevant.

I am NOT saying that the games you listed are not compelling (that's just a matter of personal opinion), but I AM saying that if exclusives present and future are a thing, then your list it is not a compelling list of reasons to own the system when compared to other players on the market who have clearly focused far more on building up and diversifying a first party environment. As a list to support the idea that MS gives a damn about exclusive games, it's just not a good list which in my own opinion demonstrates why the system itself comes up short.

I really can't explain this any simpler, so either you get it or you don't. If your next response is going to be something along the lines of "I enjoy games no matter the platform" then don't bother. I do too, but it's entirely besides the point.

About that... one of the things you get when you actually foster strong internal development is a strong artistic stable and the means of translating this into design. This is one of the things that allows a game like BOTW to visually stand head to head (or well above) the best that you can see on machines with FAR more power. Artistry.

BOTW could of course look even better on the more powerful X1X, but no such game will exist on the system because there is no such talent. The same really goes for Uncharted or God of War, but with BOTW being on the "lesser" system I thought it made the best example.

In reply to the bolded - This is nothing more then your opinion, it does not prove anything.

I never said it was a list "to support the idea that MS gives a damn about exclusive games"
That again is subjective.

Frankly I dont know why you quoted me in the first place, your reply boils down to "I dont agree with you"
Well..great you disagree, it does not make me wrong and you right.So just agree to disagree and dont do these stupid mental gymnastics to try and create a narrative that what you say is the absolute truth.

So in short, you don't get it. Good job there. You said it was a compelling and diverse portfolio, I argued that it's only true if the system exists in a vacuum. Your counter-argument is that you like games. If you consider something this basic to be mental gymnastics then all hope is lost.

And no, the bolded really is not just a matter of personal opinion. Or is your next argument going to be that Phil said that this time they really, really are focusing on exclusives, in spite of all historical evidence to the contrary?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So in short, you don't get it. Good job there.

I get that you think in comparison to sonys line up Microsofts is not compelling.
I get that this is subjective, and Thats what you dont get...

So in short, you don't get it. Good job there. You said it was a compelling and diverse portfolio, I argued that it's only true if the system exists in a vacuum. Your counter-argument is that you like games. If you consider something this basic to be mental gymnastics then all hope is lost.

And no, the bolded really is not just a matter of personal opinion. Or is your next argument going to be that Phil said that this time they really, really are focusing on exclusives, in spite of all historical evidence to the contrary?

The fact that I find an other non sony consoles games enjoyable,compelling etc proves this ''I argued that it's only true if the system exists in a vacuum'' wrong

because if what you say is true then how come people still find the games compelling despite not being in a vacuum?

petrus91

I think people are just tired of this toxicity.
Toxic article, toxic comments.
I think everybody wants always more games, it’s our hobby and our passion.
I find the 2018 compelling as long as we have a great Halo chapter. But that’s only me. I understand there are people who are totally uninterested. That’s fine.
Again, I think nobody says that there’s no place for improvement.
In my eyes, as a non early system adopter, they’ve come a long way and made a great value for a gaming ecosystem.
There’s always space to improve your offer, hell even Sony can! They’ve not provided us a complete and durable multiplayer experience like Halo 5 or Gears.
I’m actually very happy about next God of War, that’s my most anticipated title if we don’t get Halo.
Last year I’ve had a blast with Cuphead and Salt&Sanctuary, so don’t forget about indie titles.
Talking about the article, it’s one of the worst pieces i’ve read in a while...really surprised it got published by someone like Engadget. Wow, just wow.

Malcolm9

Forza 7> gt sport

In your opinion may I add.

Z3M0G

giphy.gif

Lemme guess... your next claim will be Infamous. Then The Order. And then you'll get desperate and throw Knack in there before instantly regretting it.

"AAA"

Both Infamous and The Order are AAA titles... Knack I may call an A or AA at best.

Infamous was a quality game too... but "AAA" is not about quality... it is more about production levels and budget.

AAA games are not always "great" or even "good" games. Many AAA releases end up being garbage.

BANGS

Banned
There it is again...PC's are now consoles whenever it's convenient. Using MS's "play anywhere" initiative as a negative against Xbox. Dismissing great exclusives because you have a PC and are a PC gamer.

Gears 4, Ori, Forza Horizon 3, Cuphead, Recore and Quantum Break being on PC is a positive thing...right?

If MS suddenly pulled the plug on it and had all of it's exclusive titles back, would that not be terrible for you as a gamer? Not to mention it would look terrible and give Engadget some real clickbait fuel.

Personally, I hate the "Play Anywhere" thing for this reason. I love it for gamers, but it has become part of the "Xbox has no exclusive games" mantra.

What the hell are you on about? Xbox not having exclusives is only a bad thing for xbox. I would never argue that those games being on PC is a bad thing for me or anyone else, it's only bad for the xbox brand...

How does this logic elude so many? It's very simple. Xbox plays all the same games my PC can, with very few exclusives. That gives me very few reasons to actually own an xbox. That's it. Simple. Period. You don't have to perform mental gymnastics to find a reason to be upset by this simple fact...

BANGS

Banned
Forza 7> gt sport

Of all the games you listed, only Forza 7 is an exclusive...

You would think that by releasing their exclusives on PC as well people would be happy for the choice. Especially since you normally get both versions at no additional cost (play anywhere), but it seems like people only hate MS more for releasing their exclusives to PC as well as Xbox. They really can't win.

To be honest I think most of this arguing is done by a vocal minority and the silent majority of console owners are just happy to play games on a good system and don't care if its an "exclusive" or not. Which is why Microsoft continue to make their "exclusives" available on both Windows and Xbox.

BANGS

Banned
Really? Are you guys that stupid?

Stupid for what? Knowing the difference between an exclusive game and a not so exclusive game?

You would think that by releasing their exclusives on PC as well people would be happy for the choice. Especially since you normally get both versions at no additional cost (play anywhere), but it seems like people only hate MS more for releasing their exclusives to PC as well as Xbox. They really can't win.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really see people hating microsoft for releasing their games on both platforms. But it just solidifies that you do not need an xbox if you have a PC as you can already play those games and more. Why have both when you can't play any exclusives on Xbox? That'd be like buying a PS4 pro AND a PS4 slim... completely pointless...

Don't confuse valid constructive criticism for hatred...

thelastword

Banned
BC is definitely important. PC gamers can go back and play any old game they so desire.
I never said that BC was not important, I said it's not going to move consoles. The only reason people will play and replay older games on a brand new system is because there are not enough exclsuives that's popping their eye sockets or capturing their attention. They just want to see the improvements to the older titles for no more than a few minutes, it's a feature afterall, so you test it. In the grand scheme of things, no matter how you swing it, BC matters very little to gamers if you go by actual (hours of play) stats. People make lots of noise for it, but they really don't go back to play those old games much, unless they're remastered and play or look much much better than how they remembered it years ago. I'm talking 30fps with dips in the original title to locked 30/60fps with a total remake to the graphics...

On the flip, look at the remasters/older games, people payed very little attention to since they just got a rez boost for the most part, no 60fps locked, nothing substantial....Payday, Dishonored, Protooype...A rez boost with dips below 30fps, just like in Oblivion. You play that and call it the holy grail or reason why someone should buy the XBONEX?, is so far from the truth. I could play all these titles on a potato PC at 60fps, so less incentive to even use the feature on XBONEX afterall...

You know what would be great.....If XBONEX launched with Scalebound, had some Otogi like slasher, had a unique fighter like Kakuto Chojin or take some risks with some new IP's...How about an Eternal Darkness type horror game or a solid adventure title....? Hanging your hats on BC, better rezed multiplats without true and interesting exclusives or exclusives with appeal, is not going to cut it or push XBONEX out of stores at $500.00......

PS3 launched one year after XBOX 360 at $600, some atrocious multiplats at launch and even beyond compared to 360. PS3 was torn a new one at every online publication and magazine. So many memes were born, work two jobs, George Foreman Grill et al, the famous Amirox post of how PS3 is doomed etc.....GAF was not easy on PS3 and journalists either, but you know what really gave PS3 it's legs from 2008/2009 and beyond? It was a continuous flow of great and unique exclusives. Even from launch and launch window, you had titles like Folklore, one of the most unique titles I've played in over a decade, then block-busters like Uncharted (a new IP), TLOU ( a new IP). Gems like Journey and so many unique titles like; Little Big Planet, Tearaway, Pupeteer, Majin and the forsaken Kingdom, Heavenly Sword...all new IP's and hundreds more like Sports champions, Playstation All Stars Battle Royale etc.....All of these were new IP's with stalwarts like GOW3, GT5, MGS4 as the blockbusters is what allowed PS3 to catch the 360, A 360 which never slowed down in terms of sales and had all the marketing deals on it's side etc...

Yes, it was all the unique exclusives, that incentivized persons to buy PS3's, as there were unique titles attunded to the taste of a vast array of gamers. That's the exclsuive angle you fail to appreciate. It's not soley having 5-10 blockbusters which can sell 5-10 million, it's also having 50-100 new Ip's that are pushing 500k - 3 million, where you create solid fanbases for lots and lots of new Ip's. The only reason you always hear people want that ps game remade/ remastered, this one over here is because of how widespread the IP catalog has been across PS consoles.....

And to think the PS3 never got to $149 or $99 because of it's architecture, which would have increased sales of these IP's even more, and the comeback that console did would be even greater if mass market prices were a go....What pushes any console like that is software, software which you cannot get elsewhere....You could clearly see here, that PS3 was held back on hardware decisions, pricing decisions, but software is what gave it the comeback. Not multiplats, it sucked hard with multi's right, the mutltitude of exclusives, only playable on PS3 is what incentivized it's return from an Amirox penned death....amongst others.....journalists tearing it a new one, bad word of mouth, memes, PS3 has no games etc...In the end it was the games that PS3 had...

And by they way, Ninja Gaiden renders in 4k on Xbox One X, something even the PS3 version wouldn't be able to do and the extra bells and whistles it has doesn't make it look better than the 4k version I am playing right now!
No, that's like saying SOTC on PS2 rendered at 4k, looks better than the remaster at 1440p/30 or 1080p 60fps...That's not even logical.

Weren't you there during the launch of this gen?
Yes, PS4 was declared the best system day One because of the better graphics.

PS4 sales stomper all over the One right out of the gates before. There were any exclusives, and all threads were about the better graphics PS4 had compared to the One.
Go back and read what I asked. I asked whether these same posters who say that XBONEX is better for multiplats (which it is), did the same thing or hailed the same sentiment when PS4 had the better multiplats the last 4 years?

I remember seeing lots of posts on how 900p to 1080p is negligible, IGN's famous gif/video, viewing distance et al..."Does resolution really matter by DF". Where DF got that balanced console talking point, and how the talking point "balance" made it into several of their succeeding articles post the tech report.......Yet, here is Spencer/MS iterating on that talking point again recently....https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-scorpio-will-be-a-balanced-console-phil-spencer-asserts"balance" for Scorpio....We all know how warmed up DF has been to Scorpio because of it's rez advantage amongst other things, so right now, we're back to Richard and DF staff talking about huge differences "a world away, aka blops 2 faceoff styled vernacular and adjectives"....With one of his latest videos spelling large differences here.

I can assure you, there will be no more talk or articles on negligible differences. It's a fact that the higher rez you go from 1080p and the fact that CB4K closes the native 4k gap so well, or that 1440p to 1800p is defintely not as pronounced as 720p to 1080p or 900p to 1080p becasue of the general lower pixel count is veritable....Yet, all we will be hearing or seem to be hearing is how Richard is surprised that XBONEX has the rez divide it has in some games "he never expected such a gap, he says??), whilst hypocritically insulting many viewer's intelligence by saying he expects much more from the XBONEX than a simple rez boost in other titles...Even titles that are not completely framerate locked at that....It's amazing aint it....That was what I was drawing at here. In PS4's time, articles were drawn out to downplay resolution, but now we're back to how massive an uptick on resolution is......"a world away", "i'm surprised it's that huge" et. al.....I mean come on now....

Aren't you always championing that reconstruction techniques are not correctly referred to by their base resolutions before the frame buffer on PS4Pro? Quantum Break final frame buffer output is 1080p. Which is it going to be? Can't have it both ways, buddy. From now on, when discussing checkerboard game output, don't forget that its half the resolution just like you referred to with an xbox game.
Yes, I'm that guy championing CB. I mean why should I settle for 1440p on hardware that could do 2160CB and look close to 4k native? If the hardware was built for CB, then lets do CB, because it looks pristine on a 4k screen......

On the flip, what you cannot do is compare Remedy's reprojection to CB, it's not even close. You go back and play QB on a 1080p screen and come back here and tell me it looks anything as crisp or close to native 1080p games on your XBOX-ONE-S?

Now compare a proper 4k CB vs native 4K, like what we saw in Infinite Warfare or Horizon and tell me if Quantum Break is anywhere close in delivering that sharpness, those details and said results?

Stupid for what? Knowing the difference between an exclusive game and a not so exclusive game?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really see people hating microsoft for releasing their games on both platforms. But it just solidifies that you do not need an xbox if you have a PC as you can already play those games and more. Why have both when you can't play any exclusives on Xbox? That'd be like buying a PS4 pro AND a PS4 slim... completely pointless...

No it just makes you look narrow minded and snooty. For whatever reason you've convinced yourself that if a game is also playable on PC then everyone will flock to play it on PC instead, which just isn't true. I have a PC and have no interest in playing console games on it. And not everyone has a PC. So it's silly to ignore console exclusivity or to write it off. Games are still console exclusive, which means they're still exclusive. Only pc snobs and elitist bleeps say otherwise. In reality, ps4 owners and people who would never buy an xbox in the first place are the ones most likely to buy xbox games for pc. For people who still enjoy the xbox experience, a console is still preferable.

The converse argument is why buy an expensive pc when i can buy a cheaper console? At a minimum you're going to spend $600 to put together a capable pc, and that doesn't include a monitor and a tower in most cases, and certainly not a headset. But in reality, to have a future proofed pc you're going to want to spend $1000+. Oh geez why would people ever play games on a console if the games are also available on pc? See how stupid of an argument that is? Not truly exclusive, no, but go and spend a grand if that makes you feel better about yourself.

BANGS

Banned
No it just makes you look narrow minded and snooty. For whatever reason you've convinced yourself that if a game is also playable on PC then everyone will flock to play it on PC instead, which just isn't true.

I never said anything of the sort. I said that I personally have no reason to buy an Xbone, as well as many other PC gamers, which is true. I do have reasons to buy PS4 and Switch, as they are loaded with games I can't play on my PC. Pretty simple logic, really...

Games are still console exclusive, which means they're still exclusive. Only pc snobs and elitist bleeps say otherwise.

No, just no... You don't need to be a snob or a "bleep" to understand what the term exclusive actually means. The term "console exclusive" is really cringe worthy to begin with. You might as well say onion rings are a burger king fast food exclusive because mcdonalds doesn't have them even though every diner in america does...

You have so many directories it crashes groove? Did you pay for all that music? Maybe you could try a streaming service and pay the artists who made all that music. ( they dontt get much but at least its something!)

I use spotify now and used to use Groove, and Airplay worked fine.

Xbox has bittorent, kodi, podcasts,upnp, radio players custom stream applications .. its no contest, xbox has way better and more diverse apps than playstation.

I notice noone argued with any single point i made about being the best box with the best online, game subscriptions, graphics etc etc ..

Groove is the only one that doesnt crash but its got a 5 gb limit and only works if you upload online to one drive. Its time consuming and 5 gb is way way too low for my needs. On my ps4 i can just plug in my drive of 235 gb's of my music and the app just works. Xbox's media player is fine too but for some reason doesnt work in the background of games. I bought thousands of cd's over the years and spent even more time ripping them, no problem paying for music and do have spotify sub but streaming services are quite often missing what i own and dont have my playlists ive worked years on. VLC is actually a really solid one for interface but it only ever lasts a song or two before cutting out.

hiphopcr

Both Infamous and The Order are AAA titles... Knack I may call an A or AA at best.

Infamous was a quality game too... but "AAA" is not about quality... it is more about production levels and budget.

AAA games are not always "great" or even "good" games. Many AAA releases end up being garbage.

And this makes my point. Sony's "AAA" exclusives it's first three years were Killzone, Infamous, and The Order.

ouch.

While Xbox came roaring out the gates with Titanfall, Halo 5, Gears 4, the Forzas, Tomb Raider, etc. Honestly, before the last spring Playstation's lineup was meh and Sony admitted as such.

hiphopcr

You said it was a compelling and diverse portfolio
Best racer (Forza), best competitive arena fps (Halo), best 3rd person shooter (Gears), best 2D platformers (Cuphead and Ori), fighter (Killer Instinct), 3rd person adventure (ReCore), 3rd person story (Quantum Break), 3D platformer (Lucky), best RTS (Halo Wars), biggest game in the world (PubG), and by far the best co-operative games coming up (Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay).

Seems like they got all their bases covered.

Malcolm9

And this makes my point. Sony's "AAA" exclusives it's first three years were Killzone, Infamous, and The Order.

ouch.

While Xbox came roaring out the gates with Titanfall, Halo 5, Gears 4, the Forzas, Tomb Raider, etc. Honestly, before the last spring Playstation's lineup was meh and Sony admitted as such.

There are more than that, well done for picking three only though.

Parapraxis

ouch.

While Xbox came roaring out the gates with Titanfall, Halo 5, Gears 4, the Forzas, Tomb Raider, etc.Honestly, before the last spring Playstation's lineup was meh and Sony admitted as such

lol, citation needed. Also you have a very selective memory, or is it cherry picking?

Calibos

What the hell are you on about? Xbox not having exclusives is only a bad thing for xbox. I would never argue that those games being on PC is a bad thing for me or anyone else, it's only bad for the xbox brand...

How does this logic elude so many? It's very simple. Xbox plays all the same games my PC can, with very few exclusives. That gives me very few reasons to actually own an xbox. That's it. Simple. Period. You don't have to perform mental gymnastics to find a reason to be upset by this simple fact...

Of all the games you listed, only Forza 7 is an exclusive...

Whoops, you're right... so he named zero exclusives lmfao

I never said anything of the sort. I said that I personally have no reason to buy an Xbone, as well as many other PC gamers, which is true. I do have reasons to buy PS4 and Switch, as they are loaded with games I can't play on my PC. Pretty simple logic, really...

No, just no... You don't need to be a snob or a "bleep" to understand what the term exclusive actually means. The term "console exclusive" is really cringe worthy to begin with. You might as well say onion rings are a burger king fast food exclusive because mcdonalds doesn't have them even though every diner in america does...

"Console Exclusive" is a term nonetheless. PC's and consoles are not the same and shouldn't be lumped together. Any PC gamer will remind us of that whenever I am playing a game at 30 fps or sub 1080 resolution.

"Exclusive" has more gray area than any other game topic when it comes to PC vs. Console. "Play Anywhere" has twisted and blurred the lines between PC and Console for exclusives. Simple. No mental gymnastics either.

Who are we all kidding anyways...there is no definitive answer to any of this other than MS needs some new, AAA exclusives and studios. Engadget wrote an article that has been written over and over again for the past year...They are riling up fans for clicks and it's worked very well. This is the most lively discussion Gaf has had in months...It's just too bad it's once again focused on something that has been discussed to death a number of times before.

...And Burger King's Onion Rings are terrible....

Calibos

Best racer (Forza), best competitive arena fps (Halo), best 3rd person shooter (Gears), best 2D platformers (Cuphead and Ori), fighter (Killer Instinct), 3rd person adventure (ReCore), 3rd person story (Quantum Break), 3D platformer (Lucky), best RTS (Halo Wars), biggest game in the world (PubG), and by far the best co-operative games coming up (Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay).

Perfect.

...all I need now is for MS to announce some new games that haven't been seen yet and maybe these articles will stop.

Side note: You forgot Sunset Overdrive and Ryse.

BANGS

Banned
"Exclusive" has more gray area than any other game topic when it comes to PC vs. Console. "Play Anywhere" has twisted and blurred the lines between PC and Console for exclusives. Simple. No mental gymnastics either.

There is no grey area. Either a game can only be exclusively played on a specific platform, or it can be played on multiple platforms(what we call multiplats). "Play Anywhere" hasn't twisted anything, it just means all those games are multiplats. You can play them on both PC and Xbox. Nothing grey about any of this...

Calibos

There is no grey area. Either a game can only be exclusively played on a specific platform, or it can be played on multiple platforms(what we call multiplats). "Play Anywhere" hasn't twisted anything, it just means all those games are multiplats. You can play them on both PC and Xbox. Nothing grey about any of this...

Do all the Tiny Tims around the world know that Cuphead and Ori aren't exclusive to the MS Xbox brand? Before Play anywhere, back in the Xbox era, Halo was on PC but was still considered an exclusive...right? Is Zelda an exclusive? I can play many of the Zeldas on my PC including BoTW...does that mean I don't need or want a switch?

I actually think I am arguing for no reason at this point and things are way off topic...I love all games and all platforms. I just hate late to the party, old news, click bait bullshit.

Gray or Grey? I never understood why this occurred...

BANGS

Banned

Third party vs whole exclusive lineup is a different story... but I too agree PS4 was weak with exclusives its first few years...

Xbox is the opposite, having a decent amount of exclusives at first, and having absolutely none now...

Calibos

Third party vs whole exclusive lineup is a different story... but I too agree PS4 was weak with exclusives its first few years...

Xbox is the opposite, having a decent amount of exclusives at first, and having absolutely none now...

I am very curious to see what MS's strategy is going forward. With the windows store being such a wreck at first and these articles popping up constantly over the past year, I wonder if there are rumblings of killing "Play Anywhere" and Steam releases of MS published games.

They have also poured a lot of money into to Rare, much like Lionhead, so I really hope Sea of Thieves is a success or we may see the shuttering of another studio instead of an opening of one.

Also, even though it contradicts the most recent statement from Bluehole and PubG corp., I hope MS can secure some longer term console exclusivity to PubG....it's a fantastic game and a social juggernaut.

I think State of Decay will turn out the best out of all of their upcoming games, but Crackdown is a real concern at this point. In all seriousness, if it's releasing in a few months, we really should be getting more info and footage from the game.

sainraja

To be honest I think most of this arguing is done by a vocal minority and the silent majority of console owners are just happy to play games on a good system and don't care if its an "exclusive" or not. Which is why Microsoft continue to make their "exclusives" available on both Windows and Xbox.

I think a lot of people here are missing the point and getting defensive pretty quickly. The play anywhere initiative is good. The question being asked is, does it help the Xbox brand stand-out?

My take on it is this, Microsoft realizes this but is still pushing 'play anywhere' due to it being their long term plan. If they are able to successfully separate themselves from the Games for Windows or Games on Windows initiative and re-introduce that under the Xbox brand, essentially, Xbox becoming a platform that is not tied to a single device; they can easily grab a lot of marketshare later on. Sony seems to be headed that way too. They have introduced streaming options across devices but obviously a different approach.

Yes, I'm that guy championing CB. I mean why should I settle for 1440p on hardware that could do 2160CB and look close to 4k native? If the hardware was built for CB, then lets do CB, because it looks pristine on a 4k screen......

On the flip, what you cannot do is compare Remedy's reprojection to CB, it's not even close. You go back and play QB on a 1080p screen and come back here and tell me it looks anything as crisp or close to native 1080p games on your XBOX-ONE-S?

Now compare a proper 4k CB vs native 4K, like what we saw in Infinite Warfare or Horizon and tell me if Quantum Break is anywhere close in delivering that sharpness, those details and said results?
Regardless of how you feel about the results, you are being hypocritical. According to your past posts on this subject, QB would be 1080p due to the tech behind the game. But yet you refer to QB as "720p". If that is the opinion you are sticking with, it now negates all your past posts on the subject, as it seems you now see these kinds of techniques as being half the resolution it outputs from the frame buffer.

On paper sure you have a point but in reality suggesting this is like owning a PS4 and a Pro at the same time is a bit dishonest. For one thing many have a PC but how many have a PC that can play Xbox games as well? You also gloss over sports games like Madden not being on the PC and some other major games like the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2.

Microsoft is also wanting customers to just be part of Xbox Live and Windows so they can hopefully sell you their games and other shit like apps. That's really where the money is, not the hardware.

These threads would be a lot more productive if we had just those who want more from Microsoft. Most can agree they can do better. It would be nice to just filter out those who either think there is no problem and those who don't care what Microsoft brings now or in the future.

I absolutely want more from Microsoft and especially Xbox, that's actually my whole point lol

Me too. Im a consumer of their product and I want more. Maybe I need to adjust my expectations for owning all of the current systems and expecting diverse options on each since we're in an are that they are as redundant as they have ever been. I love Forza Horizon 2 & 3, but I want more that inspires me to play my Xbox. I think its perfectly fair to say that the Xbox One has been a disappointment after the 360 and they need to do better IF they want market share similar to the last gen. If Microsoft is happy where they're at sales wise then so be it, but I doubt they would say that if they were being honest, they've faced about a 50% contraction in console sales. It's not because of exclusives, it obviously has more to do with the launch/price, but its going to take compelling games to bring people back imo and I'm just not seeing anything in the pipe yet capable of this.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

What the article means about compelling is attracting people to buy an Xbox One console or attract a huge audience. Quantum Break is a triple A title, but we know that the game didn't do too well at all.

People are looking at one of Microsoft's biggest games this year in Crackdown 3 and believe it won't be one of those games. That's what a lot of people are saying and they're not just people on this forum.

hiphopcr

hiphopcr said:

What the article means about compelling is attracting people to buy an Xbox One console or attract a huge audience.

giphy.gif

It seems like you're taking this clickbait, populist article as gospel and ignoring the facts dancing right in front of your face.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
giphy.gif

It seems like you're taking this clickbait, populist article as gospel and ignoring the facts dancing right in front of your face.

Read the bottom of the article

Spencer has gone on the record saying that third-party exclusives like 2015's Rise of the Tomb Raider aren't viable for any games platform in the long run. But two years later, that's basically what Microsoft has. The company spent a year and a half trying to convince people they needed an Xbox One X with system specs alone. In the face of Nintendo's runaway success with the Switch and Sony's burgeoning lineup of diverse games you can't play anywhere else, 2018 has to be the year Microsoft starts convincing people there's a reason to buy any Xbox -- not just the most powerful one ever.

There are Xbox fans who say the same thing, but you want to make it appear like it's not a real concern.

Instead of taking it personally, you have to think about how these games are going to attract people, which is the point of his article..

Forza 7> gt sport

But I can play these and I don't have to turn my Xbox on. Quantum break was just ok IMO. Naming two Forza games kind of feeds the trolls.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

By your logic Nier Automata isn’t an exclusive as it’s also on PC, yet I see it brought up all the time!

Also, lastsword, sorry, but bringing an Otogi game that’ll barely move 100k copies and not sell an extra console isn’t worth the investment to Microsoft, that is like the stupidest thing they could do with their money.

We’ve already said enough times that exclusives didn’t move the needle at all this gen, other factors early on made the difference. The Engadget article is pure bait and really doesn’t bring anything new to the table and it doesn’t make the Xbox one less relevant for 2018.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Riiiight, like they've released no games in the past 18 months. And what was Sony's fall lineup again?

Who says they released no games within the past 18 months?

If Forza is a niche title, then how many console sells is that going to generate? PUBG is one of those games, but they need more.

Their fall lineup included GT Sport. The racer is niche in America, just like Forza, but I know it pushed many VR sales and it was successful in other regions. This is just one title that was released this year when they pushed out many.

Top Bottom