• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engine shuts down on United 737 jet as it descends into Houston with passengers reporting seeing 'flames' and 'hearing bangs'

Airbus Jr

Banned
The United Airlines flight was descending into Houston from New Jersey when one of its engines developed problems

Passengers reported hearing a bang and seeing a flash of light and flames

The Federal Aviation Administration said there was no evidence of fire or smoke

The jet involved was a Boeing 737-900 - not the same model as the Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 plane that crashed on Sunday

The engine of a Boeing 737-900 shut down late Sunday on a United Airlines flight as it was making its descent into Houston, Texas.

Flight 1168 was carrying 174 passengers and six crew members when engine trouble began as the plane neared George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

The Boeing 737-900 was traveling from Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey.

Passenger Chris Morrison told KHOU 11 that he was near the left side wing when the plane started vibrating.

'I saw a flash of light outside the window. I was sitting right on the wing where the engine had the issue,' Morrison said.

Another passenger said he saw flames coming from the engine.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman, Lynn Lunsford, said there was no evidence of fire or smoke.

Lunsford added that crews were taking a closer look at the plane Monday.

Some people suffered minor injuries while evacuating the plane, according to United spokeswoman Rachael Rivas.

The cause of the engine failure is as yet unknown.

The jet involved was a Boeing 737-900, not the same model as the Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 plane that fatally crashed on Sunday.

DiscoJer

I had that happen while flying once. I had the window seat, too. Bang, brief flash, then fluid and metal bits spraying out

Besides being scared to death, I was really annoyed, because the engine was clearly making an odd vibration before we took off. And I was like "Does that sound right to you" "Everything is perfectly normal sir" in a patronizing manner. Guess it wasn't, now was it?

Breakage

As someone who has never been on a plane, I often wonder what goes through people's minds during these moments. I know aeroplanes are supposed to be a very safe way of travelling when compared to, say, cars, but there's just something about being so high up in the air that puts me off. I suppose it goes back to the knowledge that you are completely powerless and have no means of escape if something were to go horribly wrong mid-flight.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
737's getting nailed lately. Boring stock got hit too.

I don't know if this has anything to with it, but GE has been getting killed for a good 10 years. And GE makes 737 engines. Who knows. Maybe some quality issues slipped through the cracks if these issues are from new planes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As someone who has never been on a plane, I often wonder what goes through people's minds during these moments. I know aeroplanes are supposed to be a very safe way of travelling when compared to, say, cars, but there's just something about being so high up in the air that puts me off. I suppose it goes back to the knowledge that you are completely powerless and have no means of escape if something were to go horribly wrong mid-flight.
I don't fly a ton. And the most I've ever experienced is some turbulence and a few crappy landings. But even then, it always crosses my mind for a few seconds if this is something major. But for people nosediving with broken engines, it's surely a shitshow of people screaming. Even the staff are surely screaming.

That;s what sucks about planes. You're strapped in, 1,000s of feet in the air and have zero control. And if you crash, chances are 99% you're a goner. And if you miraculously live, likely burned to the bone or crippled.

That;'s thing about planes. They know it fuels fear if they remind people of it. So that's why no airlines ever say anything about safety records. They don't remind people of crash landing planes going face first into the ground. On the other hand, car makers have no problem talking about 5-star safety ratings. People can see themselves survinvig a traffic accident with great safety gear in cars, but with planes, once it crashes, you're toast.

Last edited:

Breakage

I don't fly a ton. And the most I've ever experienced is some turbulence and a few crappy landings. But even then, it always crosses my mind for a few seconds if this is something major. But for people nosediving with broken engines, it's surely a shitshow of people screaming. Even the staff are surely screaming.

That;s what sucks about planes. You're strapped in, 1,000s of feet in the air and have zero control. And if you crash, chances are 99% you're a goner. And if you miraculously live, likely burned to the bone or crippled.
Yeah that's exactly it. When you're in a car on the ground, at least you can feel as if you can do something to preserve your life – whether that's grabbing the wheel and pulling the brakes or jumping out.
But when you're in a plane in the air, you have to place your faith in the pilots, the dozens of computers, the chassis, the engines etc. There are just so many variables which you have no control over. You're high up in the air in a massive piece flying metal with a lot of highly flammable fuel on either side of you. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Being in a plane is pretty nerve wracking as it is. Yeah there’s nothing you can do. You can’t even look out the front window like in a car you are just running on total faith.

Worst flight I ever had was flying in Egypt and that was mainly cos of the sand storms. Was bumpy as heck and so scary.

There is a reason they sell booze on planes

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
737's getting nailed lately. Boring stock got hit too.

I don't know if this has anything to with it, but GE has been getting killed for a good 10 years. And GE makes 737 engines. Who knows. Maybe some quality issues slipped through the cracks if these issues are from new planes.

Didn't Boeing admit that it was a software upgrade gone wrong that crashed the Max 8 plane?

PSYGN

I had that happen while flying once. I had the window seat, too. Bang, brief flash, then fluid and metal bits spraying out

Besides being scared to death, I was really annoyed, because the engine was clearly making an odd vibration before we took off. And I was like "Does that sound right to you" "Everything is perfectly normal sir" in a patronizing manner. Guess it wasn't, now was it?

Living nightmare...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

That's an epic "Told ya so".

Glad that you lived to tell the tale.

Planes are only statistically safer than car travel because there are less planes in the air than cars on the ground.

For most people intense fear is experienced when something goes wrong, even just basic turbulence can ruin some people's flight. And if you suffer from any form of anxiety forget it! Have fun.

Damnit. I literally fly almost every week, and every bit of turbulence has been making my butt pucker from all the airline horror stories lately...I don't like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom