• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

Nice thread I9.

I haven't been keeping up with it but, how about adding Katawa Shoujo? It's been a while since I played the demo, but the amount of effort put into the project it seems promising. I wonder how it's progressing right now actually, time to check that blog.

tiff

Banned
Solune said:
Nice thread I9.

I haven't been keeping up with it but, how about adding Katawa Shoujo? It's been a while since I played the demo, but the amount of effort put into the project it seems promising. I wonder how it's progressing right now actually, time to check that blog.
I never played the demo (I'd rather just wait for its release, if that ever happens), but I thought that game looked really interesting, too. Loved the concept.

InfiniteNine said:
ilM03a.png

Saya no Uta
Availability: Full Patch
Developer: Nitro+
Plaforms: PC
Rating: R-18

Fuminori Sakisaka has a traffic accident which kills his parents and leaves him heavily injured. When he has a brain surgery to save his life, his perception of the world changes: everything he sees becomes blood and guts, people's looks and voices seem like monsters, and food that normally appeals to him tastes disgusting.

As he contemplates suicide in the hospital, Fuminori meets a beautiful girl among the flesh-covered walls. She introduces herself as Saya, and is apparently looking for her father. Fuminori does not want to be separated from Saya, and asks her to live with him. She agrees.

You know I totally went into this blind. I wonder if I would've been more ready for it if I actually read a basic description of the story beforehand. Probably not.

Katawa Shoujo is quite possibly the greatest example of a something that everything about it dictates it must be bad, yet somehow is good.

Jintor

PataHikari said:
Katawa Shoujo is quite possibly the greatest example of a something that everything about it dictates it must be bad, yet somehow is good.

I honestly can't wait until it's released. Far out.

LegatoB

cosmicblizzard said:
You know I totally went into this blind. I wonder if I would've been more ready for it if I actually read a basic description of the story beforehand. Probably not.
Your friend buys import adult games too? Jeez, is the Otaking attending your uni or something?

LegatoB said:
Your friend buys import adult games too? Jeez, is the Otaking attending your uni or something?

He was actually the president of the Japan club before dropping out (his senior year no less). Just a crazy short black dude that would always compare himself to Madarame from Genshiken. Got a lot of stories about him, but there's a very good chance he's on Gaf, so I'll hold off.

Man... Ive had Chaos Head sitting somewhere in my closet for well over a year now. I used to work with this guy who did nothing but play VNs. I would sit there and make fun of him, so he offered to burn a few on a disc for me to change my opinion of them. I had no idea Chaos Head is from the same company responsible for Saya no Uta...

Nocebo

Project Hacker (NDS game) should get a translation. It's about a computer geek (average gaffer? :p) who gets recruited by an agency that fights computer crimes. It sometimes has a sort of Phoenix Wright feel to it. Like in one chapter there had been a mishap at a hospital, two patient's charts got mixed up and you have to find out if the hospital's computer system has been tampered with, and by whom etc. Also there's an in game fake internet where you can browse many pages to get information, like about the companies related to the case and stuff.

It's far below phoenix wright in terms of quality though, but the setting is still enjoyable regardless.

suzu

I don't mind anime, but most of those art styles are hard for me to get into.

Missing some:
Hotel Dusk/Last Window
Another Code/Trace Memory
Time Hollow
Ghost Trick
Professor Layton

The DS is great. :D

duckroll

How about some love for Hiroyuki Kanno? EVE Burst Error, Desire, and Exodus Guilty are all available in English. I'm not sure if they are available anymore, but they were at some point. Too bad his magnum opus Yu-No was never released.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
How about some love for Hiroyuki Kanno? EVE Burst Error, Desire, and Exodus Guilty are all available in English. I'm not sure if they are available anymore, but they were at some point. Too bad his magnum opus Yu-No was never released.
YU-NO has an active fan translation at the moment! Also I'll add those to the backlog of stuff to put it.

duckroll

InfiniteNine said:
YU-NO has an active fan translation at the moment! Also I'll add those to the backlog of stuff to put it.

Any idea if any of the the Tantei Shinshi games have fan translations?

I don't know how the Op is structured, but since you put 18+ releases you might want to add:

Bible Black

Discipline

Cleavage

All of them official English releases. For fan translation Prison Battleship and Taimanin Asagi 2 have been translated as well.

Jintor

Nocebo said:
Project Hacker (NDS game) should get a translation. It's about a computer geek (average gaffer? :p) who gets recruited by an agency that fights computer crimes. It sometimes has a sort of Phoenix Wright feel to it. Like in one chapter there had been a mishap at a hospital, two patient's charts got mixed up and you have to find out if the hospital's computer system has been tampered with, and by whom etc. Also there's an in game fake internet where you can browse many pages to get information, like about the companies related to the case and stuff.

It's far below phoenix wright in terms of quality though, but the setting is still enjoyable regardless.

I suddenly had an image of some sort of incredible combination of Uplink and Phoenix Wright on my DS. God damn that sounds incredible.

Negator

Wow, what a great thread! I've only played through Fate/Stay Night and Phoenix Wright. Very interested in doing more.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Still need to finish Tsukihime. I finished Arcueid's route and that's it.

I give my full approval to this thread.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Castor Krieg said:
I don't know how the Op is structured, but since you put 18+ releases you might want to add:

Bible Black

Discipline

Cleavage

All of them official English releases. For fan translation Prison Battleship and Taimanin Asagi 2 have been translated as well.
Well I'll put them up if I can find some work safe screens.

cress2000

Sharin no Kuni: Himawari no Shoujo was my first traditional VN and I thought it was awesome. The extra story on the Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo fandisc was also great.

Of course I've also played all the Phoenix Wright games that are in English.

Have had 999 since it was released, but wondering if it'd be worth playing Ever17 before it.

Jintor

No idea about Ever17 (I think it's a prospective title for me to pick up sometime...) but 999 is fucking baller.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
tiff said:
I'm sure there's plenty of scenes where characters aren't having sex to pick from.
Well I've only seen whatever I payed attention to after I gave it to my friend for his birthday so all I remember is a bunch of weird sex, but yeah I found some good screens to use.

Excellent thread but I kind of share this feeling:

The_Technomancer said:
I really enjoy the idea of visual novels, but its a shame that most of the ones in the OP outside of 999 and Ever17 seem to revolve around various antics with anime girls. I hope one day we can get some more interactive experiences that really are novel quality.
It's a bit of a shame more console stuff isn't available in English.
Games like all the Chunsoft sound novels (428, Imabikiso, Machi, Kamaitachi no Yoru, Otogiriso) would add a bit of variety to that panel of anime looking and/or H games.
I have nothing in particular against the games officially released or fan-translated, at least we're getting way more stuff than 10 years ago, I'm just saying having more variety would be make things even better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
tiff said:
You gave your friend eroge for his birthday and then watched him play it?
Well I occasionally payed attention while I played Brawl with my other friend that was there, but I have watched that other friend play Shuffle! before.

Niblet

Much respect to you for making this thread. Definitely a lot of greatness to be experienced. I haven't played a pc visual novel in so many months. Any new hotness on the market? I want to spend quality time on a good PC visual novel after I finish Apollo Justice.

hamchan

Castor Krieg said:

Bible Black

Discipline

Cleavage

Eh, i dunno. Some of the ones in OP may have H-scenes but I feel that story comes first for most of them (at least the ones i recognise). These ones people just play because they want to wank. (Though Bible Black has a somewhat alright story).

Oh well, if this turns into a h-game thread I'm fine with that too. I really have no say in what should be in this thread or not. Though people new to the genre might get turned off by all the eroge.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Niblet said:
Much respect to you for making this thread. Definitely a lot of greatness to be experienced. I haven't played a pc visual novel in so many months. Any new hotness on the market? I want to spend quality time on a good PC visual novel after I finish Apollo Justice.
Well I played G-Senjou no Maou recently and loved it. It's pretty great if you ignore everyone but Haru's route since her's is the real meat of the conflict.

Jintor

hamchan said:
Eh, i dunno. Some of the ones in OP may have H-scenes but I feel that story comes first for most of them (at least the ones i recognise). These ones people just play because they want to wank. (Though Bible Black has a somewhat alright story).

Oh well, if this turns into a h-game thread I'm fine with that too. I really have no say in what should be in this thread or not. Though people new to the genre might get turned off by all the eroge.

Story first! Story first!

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Well I occasionally payed attention while I played Brawl with my other friend that was there, but I have watched that other friend play Shuffle! before.
I think playing eroge together is the sign of a true friendship. Props.

trejo

Awesome thread. I've been more and more interested in the genre ever since I finished Saya no Uta.

Which other games are at least thematically similar?

Erigu

Palette Swap said:
It's a bit of a shame more console stuff isn't available in English.
Games like all the Chunsoft sound novels (428, Imabikiso, Machi, Kamaitachi no Yoru, Otogiriso) would add a bit of variety to that panel of anime looking and/or H games.
Seriously. I can't believe I haven't heard anything about a translation project for Kamaitachi no Yoru and Machi in particular.

Hey somethings are missing!

Ctrl + F "Hourglass of Summer"

Nothing came up! This is wrong! One of the better ones released here -- though on the worst possible format =( Nonetheless, it's a good game that's fully voiced too -- this includes the narrative!

also, putting a drug that makes you dream there but not Kana ~Little Sister~ or Crescendo is not right. Both of them are better than Yume Miru Kusuri -- which only has one great route (out of three)

GhaleonQ

This is awesome and fills a need I may have, but I'd exclude the Turnabout Trial/Ace Attorney games or include the vast amount of Japanese graphic adventure games before them. They have less in common with your other choices than they do with, say, Pax Softnica's titles.

Good thread. If anyone here is keen to try their hand at making one, check out:

Ren'Py - open source Visual Novel creation engine, written in Python.

I'd love to see this particular style of "game/storytelling" to be taken up more in the West, because it's far more versatile than what a lot of folks might give it credit for. I'm hankering for a serious cottage industry to boom outside of Japan - chance of happening = next to nothing - because there's a great opportunity for a lot of different art styles to come alive within the framework of the visual novel.

Gotta be honest, the storytelling in some of the Japanese ones are okay, but for me the tired old anime/manga artistic tropes can get old fast.

Still, great thread. Kudos for putting it together!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I removed the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series from the OP due to excessive complaints on it, but I'll be adding a lot more to the official and fan section tomorrow morning after I get back from my appointment so feel free to dig into anything that catches your fancy!

Jintor

Pylon_Trooper said:
Good thread. If anyone here is keen to try their hand at making one, check out:

Ren'Py - open source Visual Novel creation engine, written in Python.

I'd love to see this particular style of "game/storytelling" to be taken up more in the West, because it's far more versatile than what a lot of folks might give it credit for. I'm hankering for a serious cottage industry to boom outside of Japan - chance of happening = next to nothing - because there's a great opportunity for a lot of different art styles to come alive within the framework of the visual novel.

I'd fucking love to do a visual novel. Maybe I will. But I think I'll copy the 99 guy's method and try and come up with a twist before I start intricately plotting out scenarios...

hamchan

InfiniteNine said:
Well I removed the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series from the OP due to excessive complaints on it, but I'll be adding a lot more to the official and fan section tomorrow morning after I get back from my appointment so feel free to dig into anything that catches your fancy!

I'm complaining about these complaints as I don't see a reason why it should be taken out. Leave them in.

Jintor said:
I'd fucking love to do a visual novel. Maybe I will. But I think I'll copy the 99 guy's method and try and come up with a twist before I start intricately plotting out scenarios...

Ren'Py is absolutely fantastic, because it's a very flexible engine. You can go from simple kinetic novels to full-blown stat-tracking affairs with a classic JRPG combat mechanic. Easy to learn language and has great tutorials.

Big thumbs up. Very cool, and better still, free.

danmaku

Interesting thread. I heard that Chaos Head is a total mindfuck, but I could just watch the anime. What makes the game "better"? (not a rhetorical question)

Saya no Uta looks promising, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom