• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enjoying BotW: But will I like other open world games?

Mantorok

So I'm a Zelda-fan first, I was apprehensive about getting BotW, eventually got it, and am loving it and finding that about 60% in and I'm not getting bored. However I'm not an open-world fan, to be fair GTA was my last attempt and I just got bored in the end and didn't really feel that exploration was reaping enough rewards, where-as in BotW I rarely feel let down at the end result.

The main blocker for me has been having time to commit to these games, but with Switch being portable this has helped a lot.

I'm not sure where BotW stands as an open world game compared to the rest, but would I enjoy the likes of Skyrim or XC2 and maybe others that might come out in future?

Last edited:

Mantorok

It's probably worth adding that I don't generally tend to go for RPGs, particularly turn-based. Dark Souls sounds good but very hardcore, I guess it's the intensity of these games that doesn't seem so apparrant in BotW was the attraction.

edge2

Neo Member
I'm not sure where BotW stands as an open world game compared to the rest, but would I enjoy the likes of Skyrim or XC2 and maybe others that might come out in future?
I don't see a reason why you shouldn't enjoy other open world games. Skyrim on the Switch is a blast, especially if you haven't played it before (like me) - I would highly recommend it. XC2 is more special, you should watch a view "let's play" videos, to see if it's for you or not.

RPGCrazied

A bit darker, but I just got through Witcher 3 with over 100 hours, simply the best open world game I've played, ever.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I find in open world games the story is important, sure exploring is good but only if theres stuff to do.

Last edited:

rockcallahan

Neo Member
You can try Just Cause games, They also gives you lot of tools and physics to play with. Ignore Just cause 1,start with 2.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I've watched Godfather and now my life is fullfiled . Will I be able to like mediocre movies and love comedies from now on?

/s

Absolutely dude, Just enjoy each item with it's own limitations.

Gameplay Variety is not everything.

xviper

BOTW is mainly an exploration game, it's a pure adventure that is unlike any other game i have ever played

i'm sure you have heard this a LOT, but i highly recommend playing The witcher 3, it's not an exploration game, in fact, exploration in it sucks and puts you to sleep, but the quests are so damn good you would be shocked how good they are, even side quests alone in Witcher 3 are better than full games like Skyrim

Codes 208

I had almost as much fun in Assassins Creed Origins as I did Zelda. The world isn't quite as seamless but it's fairly big, the combat is fun and the graphics are beautiful.

It's probably worth adding that I don't generally tend to go for RPGs, particularly turn-based. Dark Souls sounds good but very hardcore, I guess it's the intensity of these games that doesn't seem so apparrant in BotW was the attraction.
Dark Souls is one of those games I was told I would like because of my love for Zelda. But it's not true. There's no true connections between the two outside of the targeting and both have bosses.
Dark souls is one of those series you need to love for it's own merits. At first I kept dying and eventually gave up. It wasn't until DS2 that I got gud and crawled my way to about the halfway point before I realized it was a mediocre game.
Dark Souls 3 won me back and is the first I've beaten and it felt AMAZING. And right now I'm about a third into DS1 in preparations for the remaster which I'm super hyped for. (Bloodborne is also a good game.)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why not try games like Gravity Rush 2. To me it has the best traversal in open world game.

Fbh

Not necessarily.
BotW is amazing because the traversal is great and exploration is both encouraged and rewarding.

Most open world aren't like this. Most open world will just have you chasing a waypoint on your map and are filled with terrible filler content that's just there to justify the size of the map.
The only game that comes close to BotW is the Witcher 3 with its amazing sidequests but even there the exploration is mostly about following the GPS on your minimap

KevinKeene

Banned
Regarding your 2 mentioned titles, I'd say you might enjoy them. Skyrim is pretty much the same as BotW, only instead of the latter's focus on interaction, you'll find a focus on lore/story, which makes it a good contrast to botw (i own both for Switch for those exact reasons :) ).

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is simply a fantastic game. It's not overly ambitious with its open world, but it has a very sttong narrative that never has you wait long for the next exciting cutscene. Its predecessor Xenoblade Chronicles X was certainly better in the context of open world games.

I play pretty much all popular open world-titles because I seek out tjose vast, free adventures. BotW is an outlier, Unfortunately. For example you'll see people praise Witcher 3, which I found to be a total drag, very boring story bith in terms of content and presentation. Since I'm also a big Zelda-fan, you might feel the same. Most open world-rpgs just consist of combat and running through vast empty fields with nothing to do. At least GTA-games offer lots of possibilities to wreak havoc, but you found those boring, too.

I definitely recommend Skyrim. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but not because of its open world.

Last edited:

toker818

Banned
Try skyrim on switch also fallout 3 and 4 are a rpg open world game set in a post apocalyptic world. Too bad rockstar did't put red dead redemption on switch, instead they put L.a. noire yuck

goldenpp72

As someone who has played a bunch of them, i'd not say it's a sure fire thing. BOTW basically obliterates the lot of them. I would suggest giving Witcher a try if you wanna give another biggie a shot, but it's an arena of games filled with fluff and very little true gems.

KiteGr

The clossest thing to BotW that is very often compared to it is Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Similarly adictive, where you come to the world weak and underpowered, but by the end you'll be taking on massive hunts.

ehead

If you have a gaming PC, I would recommend Subnautica. It lets you work through the game at your own pace, and it really provides a sense of progression. Also, it is quite relaxing, unless you go a few hundred meters deep then things will get pretty tense. I wished it had a Switch version because the game would be a perfect fit for home/on-the-go gaming sessions.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ive only played up unto the glider in BOTW, so I have a limited understanding of it.
However GTA5 is a great open world game. The main story has interesting characters and you switch between 3 of them.
Also the missions themselves are fun and varried not just the go here and kill bad guys rince repeat missions.
If your a fan of the movie "heat" you'll love GTA5.

TannerDemoz

I would strongly recommend Horizon if you have a PS4. It's not too overwhelming, decent sized map and essentially the PS4's Zelda imo

Top Bottom