• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the show's unprofitable, then I have no idea why HBO wouldn't want to unload it for a small, quick profit? Let them keep Lena Dunham's ample ass. Netflix is in its stage of infancy, which might lend well for nurturing a following in this particular show. Enlightened has been getting good reviews this season. Netflix would probably be more keen to supporting it than HBO, who seems more in the mindset of recreating instant pop culture wonders on the scale of Sopranos and Sex and the City.

I don't see any chance in hell Netflix picking this up. Why bother? Arrested Development made sense because Netflix had the data to prove how successful that show was post cancellation through user viewing. With Enlightened they'd be putting money towards a show they wouldn't be able to air the first two seasons of, and would get them no where.

I don't see any chance in hell Netflix picking this up. Why bother? Arrested Development made sense because Netflix had the data to prove how successful that show was post cancellation through user viewing. With Enlightened they'd be putting money towards a show they wouldn't be able to air the first two seasons of, and would get them no where.

Exactly. Netflix or kickstarter are idiotic ideas for this show. It was brilliant but almost nobody watched it. It is impossible to overstate how terrible the ratings for this were. No other network would want it and I'm pretty skeptical that the fanbase is large enough for a successful kickstarter.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hence the question mark. But actually, something called 'Family Tree' is supposed to be coming out in May.

It's... fine.

Gaiman commented on it a couple weeks ago, it seems to be coming along fine. Unless you know something I don't?

Unless it was rolled, they probably passed on it. Even if they didn't, there's no point in being excited about anything at the script stage at HBO because they are extremely selective of what they order to pilot.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Exactly. Netflix or kickstarter are idiotic ideas for this show. It was brilliant but almost nobody watched it. It is impossible to overstate how terrible the ratings for this were. No other network would want it and I'm pretty skeptical that the fanbase is large enough for a successful kickstarter.

I think Kickstarter would do great for them since the HBO ratings do not take into account international viewers and there are plenty of other "means" to watch the show online which don't factor in either. Based on what we've seen it doesn't look like a very expensive show to produce compared to say, Game of Thrones though it would mean the cast and crew probably taking a hit to pay cheques, etc. Guess anything could happen.

As for this show, it is just wonderful, meaningful (and some of that music) and a great therapy session. I will definitely pick up both seasons on Blu-ray.

2 questions:

When will season 2 be released on Bluray/DVD?

What are the chances that Netflix or another venue pick it up? What obstacles would prevent such a thing from occurring? Does Mike White own the rights to the show or does HBO?

What's the downside of them unloading a show that they don't even give a shit about now? How much would Netflix have to offer them? And what positive factors have fallen into place for Arrested Development to have been snagged by Netflix?

To hold this series close to their chest after giving up on it seems like a case of sour grapes. The show wasn't profitable. Okay, let another network take a stab at it then. HBO would probably make a small profit off of selling it to Netflix in this case.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Enlightened will take a seat next to Carnivale as brilliant HBO shows canned after two seasons.
Lame, it's not on Go.

What's the downside of them unloading a show that they don't even give a shit about now? How much would Netflix have to offer them? And what positive factors have fallen into place for Arrested Development to have been snagged by Netflix?

To hold this series close to their chest after giving up on it seems like a case of sour grapes. The show wasn't profitable. Okay, let another network take a stab at it then. HBO would probably make a small profit off of selling it to Netflix in this case.
I don't think it'll come back in any form, which is unfortunate.

anaron

iJvlDZ6QJGned.gif

pretty much

oh and

3lbGeAc.gif

qOY303T.gif

JsHH0.gif

so6HBMf.gif

KWQMZgc.gif

I'm so pissed about this

anaron

I can't believe the way some of the critical community has totally accepted this, to the point in almost apologizing on HBO's behalf.

Yeah, I get it. Enlightened could only exist on HBO...so maybe then, HBO should've kept it around to show that? Even with its tiny viewership, the show was finally gaining the proper notice. To cancel it now is so counterproductive and for me just illustrates that HBO was never really behind this show at all.

crackhead_bob said:
Let them keep Lena Dunham's ample ass.

okay, I lol'd

anaron

The show made an undeniably weird fit on what HBO has become. A decade after the network inaugurated a new golden era for TV drama with The Sopranos and The Wire and Deadwood, there’s a sense that we have arrived at the point where the template for Great Television has been set in stone. Great TV is bleak and violent; it’s masculine and epic; it wrestles with the big issues, mixing in sex or violence or sexy violence; and bonus points if the protagonist has a double life. Enlightened was something else. Co-created by Mike White and star Laura Dern, it was a workplace sitcom written like an Arthur Miller play and filmed like a fairy tale.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/03/20/enlightened-in-memoriam/

That about sums it up.

Clevinger

I can't believe the way some of the critical community has totally accepted this, to the point in almost apologizing on HBO's behalf.

I can. They didn't give two shits about it last year (nor did they seem to for most of this season until everyone realized, *shock*, it's probably going to get canceled). Their hyping up Enlightened was like a little fad in between their Girls and Homeland circlejerkathon.

i do think getting behind treme so strongly and then canning enlightened is a bit schizophrenic.

No offense to Enlightened, but if HBO could only keep around one horribly rated show then I'd pick Treme every time. And since it got a really short final season, it didn't exactly come through unscathed/receive HBO's full support.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe the way the critical community has totally accepted this, to the point in almost apologizing on HBO's behalf.

Yeah, I get it. Enlightened could only exist on HBO...so maybe then, HBO should've kept it around to show that? Even with its tiny viewership, the show was finally gaining the proper notice. To cancel it now is so counterproductive and for me just illustrates that HBO was never really behind this show at all.

I don't really know why HBO bothered to renew the show in the first place. What were they expecting out of season 2? Putting it behind Girls in January solidified the fact that it would still have low ratings; HBO couldn't have been surprised on that front. The critical success has been overwhelmingly positive, though. Literally the best reviewed show on HBO in years; HBO couldn't have been happier with that. Given the circumstances, I think season 2's performance was better than anyone could have hoped for. And yet they still canned it. I wonder what the threshold for renewal was?

anaron

I can. They didn't give two shits about it last year (nor did they seem to for most of this season until everyone realized, *shock*, it's probably going to get canceled). Their hyping up Enlightened was like a little fad in between their Girls and Homeland circlejerkathon.

Yup. They really proved how dumb and flock-like they were with their response to season 1. Most of the critics only started watching this show after it became "the thing to do." Honestly, I still place most of the blame on them for this show going under everyone's radar.

anaron

And what's with people acting like the show had finished its story? Mike White and Laura Dern both said they envisioned it at the very least as a trilogy. There's so much left to tell through the aftermath of Amy's actions, her relationship to Levi and Helen and meeting her sister Bethany.

The finale leaves things feeling too tidy for what the circumstances actually allow for.

Empty

No offense to Enlightened, but if HBO could only keep around one horribly rated show then I'd pick Treme every time. And since it got a really short final season, it didn't exactly come through unscathed/receive HBO's full support.

sure, but i'd kill for 5 more hours of enlightened!

and yeah i really need to properly watch treme.

Clevinger

I was talking about season 2. That's when the critical acclaim sort of exploded.

Ah. Well, I don't know how Metacritic counts their reviews, but Enlightened's season 2 only has 7 reviews there while Girls' second season has like 19, so I'm wondering if it wasn't just a loud minority even bothering to cover the show at that point.

But I dunno.

i do think getting behind treme so strongly and then canning enlightened is a bit schizophrenic.

It's not hard at all to see why HBO would treat a David Simon show differently than this. Creating the best show of all time tends to get you cut a little more slack in your future endeavors I'd imagine.

I'm with Clevinger. In a perfect world I'd love for both shows to have been renewed but Treme has a lot more stuff that needs to be wrapped up than Enlightened seemed to.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ah. Well, I don't know how Metacritic counts their reviews, but Enlightened's season 2 only has 7 reviews there while Girls' second season has like 19, so I'm wondering if it wasn't just a loud minority even bothering to cover the show at that point.

But I dunno.

Yeah, Metacritic is weird. There were waaaaay more than 7 (glowing, almost hyperbolic) reviews for Enlightened season 2 on the internet.

Thread title depresses the hell out of me.

I didn't even notice that it changed. :/

Tremendous show. However, the first three episodes of the series were so incredibly off-putting (as expository material is wont to be) that I could see why viewers would be turned off by the show. I almost quit after three episodes, before the series dramatically skyrocketed in quality.

anaron

Tremendous show. However, the first three episodes of the series were so incredibly off-putting (as expository material is wont to be) that I could see why viewers would be turned off by the show. I almost quit after three episodes, before the series dramatically skyrocketed in quality.
Hmm...I don't know, I think the quality of those episodes are pretty fantastic. It just doesn't becomes apparent until the viewer gets a handle on how to watch the show and what exactly Enlightened is trying to convey. It's a challenging experience and it's stronger for it.

That might have been a problem if people had even given the show a shot but the ratings were so bad that most HBO subscribers never even saw a second of the show, so they couldn't find it off-putting.

Oh Well. At least there's Six Feet Under to fall back on in terms of a quality show that was lucky enough to end on its own terms. I think of shows like Deadwood and Carnivale which were never given the chance they deserved to end their stories, or shows like The Sopranos, whose quality underwent a bellcurve throughout, only to cap things off with a turd ending. Six Feet Under was blessed with a quality cast, a squad of gifted, disciplined writers, and was given the send off to end all send offs.

I really loved season 1 of Enlightened. That sea turtle at the end of the pilot gets me everytime, with Regina Spektor singing in the background.

I really hope that this doesn't get Mike White down. And if he has an idea for a new series, I really hope that he chooses either Showtime or AMC as his broadcasting vehicle of choice -- particularly Showtime, which has a stronger track record when it comes to supporting shows with strong female leads -- i.e. Weeds, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, and Homeland.

Had he pitched Enlightened to Showtime, what would have been the potential roadblocks ahead of him? Why did he choose HBO in the first place when his show was easily a handy fit for Showtime?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really hope that this doesn't get Mike White down. And if he has an idea for a new series, I really hope that he chooses either Showtime or AMC as his broadcasting vehicle of choice -- particularly Showtime, which has a stronger track record when it comes to supporting shows with strong female leads -- i.e. Weeds, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, and Homeland.

AMC has a habit of firing their showrunners, so that wouldn't be a good idea. If he were to go the cable route, FX would be a better choice, though it's a very male oriented channel so something like Enlightened probably wouldn't fly. Showtime may have been a good fit, but Enlightened, despite having a female lead, is still very very different from Weeds, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, and Homeland. They also probably would have tried to force more sex and nudity, which I think would have interrupted the vibe the show was going for. Also, they cancelled the low rated United States of Tara without giving it a proper ending, so even if Enlightened had gone to Showtime, it probably would have ended up exactly where it is now.

anaron

Season 2 out on August 13th.

Last week we reported about Enlightened - The Complete 2nd Season, the final season of the show starring Laura Dern. HBO has now formally announced the title, scheduling a DVD version on August 13th. Our previous report mentioned a pair of Amazon listings for this title, passing on that one of them was a Blu-ray listing showing a December date. As we said, that apparently was a placeholder listing, and the finalized studio announcement only included DVD format, with the August date. Cost is $39.98 for a 2-disc set that includes Audio Commentaries as extras.

ao43f3d.jpg

also I missed this at the time, but here's Laura Dern's reaction to the cancellation:

Laura Dern on Enlightened’s Cancellation: “We’re All a Little Stunned to Say Goodbye”

While speaking to Dern this afternoon about Jurassic Park’s 20th anniversary, we sneaked in our condolences about the series and told the actress how much we had appreciated her character, a socially awkward idealist and activist. “Thank you so much,” Dern said. “You saying that is like telling me that you love my sister. I love her so much.”

Less than two weeks after HBO announced what it called “a very difficult decision,” Dern revealed that she is still trying to process the news after embodying the character, who earned her a Golden Globe last year, for two years: “I think we are trying to figure it out. I think we are all a little stunned to say goodbye. As much opportunity as there is to sort of close a door to anything you’ve made. . . . I kept the door open wide for Amy. Because I’ve had to live with her a few years now. And I’ve never felt more attached to a character, more protective, or more defensive of a character. You know, there’s grief in saying goodbye to someone like that.”

As Jellicoe would, Dern is trying to find the silver lining in the decision. “But the great news is—and the difficult news, for all of the people that love us—is that we, those of us who relate to Amy, can keep her alive inside of us forever,” she told us. “Maybe not the most complicated parts, but hopefully the part that demands an honest voice whether people like it or not.”

Although she would not go into detail, Dern confirmed that she and White had mapped out a third, post-Abaddon season for the characters. After we suggested a Kickstarter initiative, Dern said, “Yeah! But the fans have been amazing. . . . The critics, the journalists, it’s been unparalleled. I’ve never seen anything like this level of support so that’s been amazing for us, and we are really grateful.”

Sigh. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom