• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking terrible PC ports and their motherfucking stuttering!

phaedrus

fbw6a.jpg

(for those that don't know, this is the actual, real line spoken in the TV edit of Snakes on a Plane)
pIrqxXV.jpg

SHA

Mark my words , a few months later each one of them will make their own excuse on why it didn't sell and eventually we will forget the main reason while finding it hard believing theirs. When it's a hard pass to believe their story , l really don't give a s , seriously.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
i think that ultimately if you only really play video games and are not a technically oriented person then you should avoid PC gaming.

PC gaming always was an aside from the main purpose of owning a PC which was to have a workstation that serves multiple purposes. Only in the past 10-15 years has it become a "thing" where people will build a PC (or heavens forbid a prebuilt) with the sole purpose to only game with it, to me that's kind of an absurd approach to PCs in general and a waste of money.

historically if you own a PC (not a laptop or phone) then you're generally a technical/engineer type and have no issues with tinkering and optimizing.
I work from home and for myself.. I have multiple PCs and a dedicated gaming pc that only has games installed.

My favorite games are on switch 😂🤣

Killer8

but i like PC gaming, i'm not asking for a console solution because i have a Series S already
but i'd like to play these games on my perferred platform.... it's not PC's fault as much as it is the developers

I like(d) PC gaming too. I was primarily a PC gamer for over 10 years (Radeon HD 4890 -> GTX570 -> GTX780 -> GTX1080 -> RTX3070). I've had enough of it.

Issues with games stuttering and not running well is not a new issue at all. We had to put up with some amount of this bullshit all the way back in the Unreal Engine 3 days (I can still remember all the config tweaks for VRAM utilization and texture pooling I had to use back in the early 2010s). Peak UE3 was the Arkham Knight release, which was so terrible Warner Bros had to pull it from sale. Funny thing is that game's issues just seems like your typical AAA PC release nowadays.

The trend worsened with Unreal Engine 4 , yet no one seemed to really do anything about it for a whole generation. Over the last several years i've seen world streaming hitches in Dragon Quest XI, The Outer Worlds, and Jedi Fallen Order. All UE4 games. All unfixed. Even so-called 'good' releases like Days Gone can have a bit of it. The issues have flown under the radar for so long and it's a combination of the shitty engine, developer incompetence, and apologism for all of the above by gamers with low standards (see: the cavalcade of "it runs fine on my PC!" comments whenever it was brought up).

Now in the last couple of years we throw the DX12 API into the mix, which itself has issues with stutter. So not only do we get UE4 games exhibiting the typical shite we've dealt with for years, we now see even more severe shader compilation stutter too. Ghostwire, Stray, Sackboy on release, Callisto Protocol, Final Fantasy 7 in DX12 mode, Shadow Warrior 3 - the list goes on and on and on. And because of DX12, it's not only UE4 games with issues - we're also seeing it games running on other engines too, like Elden Ring and Hitman 3.

Now, why is it that this issue is so important that I have basically thrown PC gaming under the bus?

1. Unreal Engine is used by a massive number of game studios. Look at the amount of support for UE5:

Unreal-Engine-5-Games-Studios-Apr-2022.jpg

We're even seeing developers like CD Projekt and Remedy, who traditionally used their own in-house engines, move over to the problematic Unreal Engine. This won't be just a small subset of PC games affected - it has the potential to be masses of them. We're already getting a glimpse of this with the number of #stutterstruggle games in 2022.

2. DX12 is being adopted by more and more games. A big part of this is because of the RTX support it brings, which developers are increasingly using.

Until the above issues are fixed, this is a slowly unfolding disaster for PC gaming. A bigger stink needs to be made about it and i'm very glad to see more and more pushback from other gamers who have also had enough. Review bombing of Callisto Protocol and Digital Foundry constantly raising the issue brings a big smile to my face.

Because yes, I do also like PC gaming, but it's being killed right now.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
is this being pc warrior to the point of detrimental to the pc gaming looks like?

what are you trying achieve by dismissing a perfectly and repeatedly documented problem? not getting your feelings hurt ?

0.000001 of the pc gaming library my ass,
try again with last years aaa releases
Who is dismissing what? Pointing that there is a tiny amount of games with this problem being released (and are normally fixed) is not dismissing anything.
Go count the number of games on PC with real time shader compilation problem and come back here proving that it is not less than 1% of the pc library.

edit: Already fixed, as pointed. So, the retard peasantry bringing consoles as a solution to the software problem that is up to devs can go back to their inferiority complex caves.

Last edited:

Housh

PS5 is awesome cause it's a standard spec for developers to hit. Specially since it's the market leader they will do whatever trickery first to have it running smoothly on the lead seller. PC gaming is still great but I always wait for sales on games cause not only do you get them cheaper but all dev work has been done and it's patched. It's also fun to try new small titles. It's like having a dev kit.

Also....shame on everyone who believed the hype on a KRAFTON game delivering. Sony had all hands on deck to help the PS5 version launch well because they used that game so much to hype the system near launch. It's basically a marketing co-op.

Danknugz

Who is dismissing what? Pointing that there is a tiny amount of games with this problem being released (and are normally fixed) is not dismissing anything.
Go count the number of games on PC with real time shader compilation problem and come back here proving that it is not less than 1% of the pc library.

edit: Already fixed, as pointed. So, the retard peasantry bringing consoles as a solution to the software problem that is up to devs can go back to their inferiority complex caves.
yeah, napoleon complex vibes fo sho

That’s the main thing I always really disliked about gaming on PC. You spend all that money and time creating the best system possible. Tweak seemingly endlessly, modify, keep everything recent and updated and there are still issues with the game’s performance and other things. I guess I just always preferred the plug and play of consoles despite their graphical shortcomings and performance. Then again, developers need to learn to optimize better because we know the architecture is capable of much more.

That’s the main thing I always really disliked about gaming on PC. You spend all that money and time creating the best system possible. Tweak seemingly endlessly, modify, keep everything recent and updated and there are still issues with the game’s performance and other things. I guess I just always preferred the plug and play of consoles despite their graphical shortcomings and performance. Then again, developers need to learn to optimize better because we know the architecture is capable of much more.
What a reasonable, thoughtful take...

Might want to be more antagonistic next time if forum engagement is your goal lol

Solves a lot of issues

If its a single player game who cares when you actually finish it

In fact I have a confession I still haven't beaten the last God of War

Agreed. And you save a lot of money also!

I also have not beaten the last GOW. Started it but didn't finish it. Will get to it eventually and Ragnarök eventually.

bobone

Get a real gaming PC if you're interested in PC ports.
GPUs are dirt cheap right now. I got a 6900XT for $499 and it wrecks every game I've tried so far.

The PS5/Xbox is quite powerful, definitely enough for your average gamer.
But you can get a PC thats more than twice as powerful in raw Tflops if you really want to max these games out at 1440 or 4k.

damidu

man you are sad! i’m not bringing consoles as solution

demand more for your money or
just get out of the way people trying to get attention to extremely relevant issue plaguing pc releases for last two years.

you are not helping anything you are part of the problem with your stupid defensive crusade.

skneogaf

Poor performance is very annoying, I recently played through the campaign of call of duty modern warfare 2019 I think it's called and I had constant stutter no matter what I did to the settings yet I'm running a 5ghz i7 and 4090 😒

But people need to remember that console versions if games are on quite low settings so if your pc can only match quite low ps5 settings then by all means go console only but I do like pc gaming due to having settings at obscene levels and as graphics cards get better I play games again and crank up the resolution to 8k etc 😉

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
man you are sad! i’m not bringing consoles as solution
It was not meant for you as you didn't say anything like that. Sorry. Was a general statement for those who brought the "solution".

And I don't buy games with this problem. I wait for patched versions and for the tiny number that never had a fix I just don't buy.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Even WZ2 has major stutters on a high end PC and COD games never have issues like this.
They are every 420 seconds so definitely a shader issue or memory leak issue sometimes they are 200ms stutters. Truly gamebreaking if you happen to be in a gun fight at the time

I captured a warzone 2.0 run on my 5950/3080 (both undervolted) PC. The graph showed nothing like those spikes and stuttering that you have.. Gfx settings is pretty high overall as well.

Calisto has frigging broke me. It started with Horizon Zero's PC port with shader compilation issues up the wazoo, cyberpunk, then dying light, Elden ring, Spiderman, sackboy all having high as fuck PC requirements, Gotham knights looking like a terrible 2011 open world game while having system requirements higher than what it looks to need. And now we have callisto which is a laggy piece of shit on even the best PCs

If it isn't stuttering and shader compilation it's abnormally high system requirements that blocks off anyone using a 1060 or a 1050ti and prevents midrange from bring able to max out the game easily. The state of PC ports in 2022 is fucking embarrassing, half of the time a new, anticipated game gets buttfucked by a terrible PC port. Can developers not optimize anymore? I got my PC to get better performance than anything else and now I'm getting games laggier than a Kenyan's internet connection.

Join the Dark Side: PS5 is the way....

NovaSe7en

This got fixed in 24 hours. Even if we assume the developer was never going to bother, Steam Deck has shader pre-caching. Or is GAF pretending that's not a PC now?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
there are still issues with the game’s performance and other things.
And consoles versions almost always have more/worse problems. Worse resolution/IQ, worse framerate, higher input lag, worse controller support, worse graphics, worse FoV, no mods, same or higher prices, paid online...

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Mother fuckers be begging for a smooth 30fps soon enough. Bring back crunch, we give these lazy cunts an easy ride and we get this shit in return, get thereself back over christmas to fix these junk games, and if they dont like it they can fuck off to another shit job like the rest of us.

MikeM

And consoles versions almost always have more/worse problems. Worse resolution/IQ, worse framerate, higher input lag, worse controller support, worse graphics, worse FoV, no mods, same or higher prices, paid online...
Consoles nail consistency though

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't quite understand why this seems to have exploded recently. UE4 has been used for many years, don't remember it being such a common issue a few years ago?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Consoles nail consistency though
Yep no screen tearing, no sub 60 fps, no sub 1080p on PS4 or Xbox one right?
Maybe this will be the first ever generation where visuals don't end up forcing performance compromises but it is doubtful.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't had any issues with Horizon, Dayz Gone or Death Stranding. I gotta friend who has a 1660 who I watched stream God of War. He seemed fine as well. Im not sure what his graphic settings were at but I loved the option to be able to adjust the games settings to my liking.

I have a 3080 so probably not comparable. I'll be holding off for another couple of years before upgrading the GPU. Right now it does everything i need.

Were you trying to go max graphics/framerate on a 1050 or 1060?

Rbk_3

I captured a warzone 2.0 run on my 5950/3080 (both undervolted) PC. The graph showed nothing like those spikes and stuttering that you have.. Gfx settings is pretty high overall as well.

It seems to be fixed now for me also after that last PC update.

N0EwDx9.png

Last edited:

MikeM

Yep no screen tearing, no sub 60 fps, no sub 1080p on PS4 or Xbox one right?
Maybe this will be the first ever generation where visuals don't end up forcing performance compromises but it is doubtful.
I’m talking current gen (ps5, series x).

Guilty_AI

I don't quite understand why this seems to have exploded recently. UE4 has been used for many years, don't remember it being such a common issue a few years ago?
It has been pretty common for a long time in UE4 games, but most people weren't bothered by it or even noticed.

Then Digital Foundry and others tech tubers started pointing it out and it suddenly became an issue. My guess is it has to do with them paying more attention to loading of assets and what not because of all the SSD craze on the consoles. Its not related but both can cause stutters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It has been pretty common for a long time in UE4 games, but most people weren't bothered by it or even noticed.

Then Digital Foundry and others tech tubers started pointing it out and it suddenly became an issue. My guess is it has to do with them paying more attention to loading of assets and what not because of all the SSD craze on the consoles. Its not related but both can cause stutters.

Hmm maybe, but I don't know how anyone ever thought this was acceptable. That kind of stuttering would ruin the experience for me, much more than playing at 30fps.

Maybe earlier games hid the compilation in the loading time better. From the dev comments I suspect they intended to have the shaders be compiled when the game starts (eg: while you are in the menus messing with your settings) and for some reason the Steam version had that not enabled.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Hmm maybe, but I don't know how anyone ever thought this was acceptable. That kind of stuttering would ruin the experience for me, much more than playing at 30fps.
Its the same as games playing at sub 30 fps or screen tearing. Most people didn't notice or care, but when it started being pointed out to them it became impossible to unsee.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its the same as games playing at sub 30 fps or screen tearing. Most people didn't notice or care, but when it started being pointed out to them it became impossible to unsee.
Plus I think people have started pushing shaders in UE4 to the max making the stutter larger and more frequent.
I still think there must be some flaw in UE4 though that makes precompilation harder or something, that or it's the choice of devs who want to do the absolute minimum for a PC release.
I launch FH5 - precompiles shaders
I launch Uncharted - starts precompiling shaders
I launch Darktide - precompiles shaders

Mister Wolf

Plus I think people have started pushing shaders in UE4 to the max making the stutter larger and more frequent.
I still think there must be some flaw in UE4 though that makes precompilation harder or something, that or it's the choice of devs who want to do the absolute minimum for a PC release.
I launch FH5 - precompiles shaders
I launch Uncharted - starts precompiling shaders
I launch Darktide - precompiles shaders

They're just being lazy or incompetent. Notice how you had none of these stutters playing Gears 4 or 5 on PC.

When you consider that the day one patch supposedly fixed the stuttering and hitching it has to be asked why they couldn't just release the "updated" version of the game.

Perhaps, someone more informed can explain to me why they couldn't do that, because I'm at a loss regarding the need to release a broken, frustrating experience and patch it day one as opposed to just releasing with the patch already in the game.

Was it to keep the install size down?

Is it a lack of Q&A feedback and developer play time?

Whatever the reason, it's simply unacceptable and I worry this is starting to become the rule rather than the exception to it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

How can you possibly not notice the game literally pausing for half a second every few seconds? We're not talking a few dropped frames here, the game actually freezes every now and then.

Gaiff

Gold Member
i think that ultimately if you only really play video games and are not a technically oriented person then you should avoid PC gaming.

PC gaming always was an aside from the main purpose of owning a PC which was to have a workstation that serves multiple purposes. Only in the past 10-15 years has it become a "thing" where people will build a PC (or heavens forbid a prebuilt) with the sole purpose to only game with it, to me that's kind of an absurd approach to PCs in general and a waste of money.

historically if you own a PC (not a laptop or phone) then you're generally a technical/engineer type and have no issues with tinkering and optimizing.
Those sort of stupid takes make me laugh. "only in the past 10-15 years". No, people have been building gaming PCs since graphics accelerators were a thing in the mid 90s.

Last edited:
Maybe earlier games hid the compilation in the loading time better. From the dev comments I suspect they intended to have the shaders be compiled when the game starts (eg: while you are in the menus messing with your settings) and for some reason the Steam version had that not enabled.
Yes, and this is what the emergency patch they put in place Friday night fixed.

Top Bottom