• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm about half way through this and it's decent, but good god does it perform like absolute dogshit. Probably the worst framerate since Heavenly Sword.

I feel like I can close my eyes and still do all the platforming.

The game's alright. I definitely feel like I'm getting my 15 bucks worth, it's a fun, easy romp through a beautiful world.

But the combination of the extremely detailed backgrounds and the slideshow framerate makes it hard for me to play more than 2 chapters in one sitting. My eyes can't take it. At a consistent 30, this would have been one of the best looking games of the gen. What a shame.

The Praiseworthy said:
Anyone else gets ICO feelings from Enslaved? specially at the wind village?

A little bit of ICO in the dual-person traversal mechanics (and the more picturesque areas, damn there's some nice looking vistas)... Uncharted's platforming, Prince of Persia-esque combat... nothing new but the mix of these gameplay elements plus the inspired setting make the game just interesting enough to be worth playing despite how HORRENDOUSLY it runs.

Tizoc

Man the framerate issue with this game is hurting my eyes >_<
Started the game today and made it past chapter 2 I believe. So far it's OK I'd say.
Playing on Hard mode BTW.

kliklik

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
Started playing the game the other night. I'm enjoying it but is it just me or is the image quality terrible?

It is kind of low res, but the colours are pretty. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to Uncharted.

But unlike others here, I didn't experience framerate problems. Maybe a patch fixed that? I actually ran into very few glitches - only the part at the windmill glitched for me - despite all the horror stories I heard around launch that put me off the game. I was under the impression that it was so buggy that it was unplayable from what I heard, mostly from IGN.

patsu

Yeah I kind like the game too. Didn't encounter any issues. Only got stuck in one of the choke points. Pushed my way through after umpteen tries.

kliklik

Banned
patsu said:
Yeah I kind like the game too. Didn't encounter any issues. Only got stuck in one of the choke points. Pushed my way through after umpteen tries.

Choke points? Do you mean the chase sequences?

Tizoc

Hmm I seem to be enjoying the game more now.
I reached Chapter 9
the windmill
, and up til then I think I got better with the game.
Wish there was more variation to combat since mashing Square 2-4 times then double Tri can get old.
I managed to get the trophy for finishing a stage without dying and for getting half the orbs (I was WTF at getting it, since even though I collected as many orbs as I can, was surprised that I got that much). Might not bother with getting all orbs though, but will get all masks using a guide (and if by finding all masks I end up getting majority of orbs...).

I picked this up a week or 2 ago and have been playing it on and off. First off, I installed it to my 360 and haven't noticed these crippling framerate issues everyone seems to be bothered with.

This game has so much going for it, great graphics, likeable characters, great voice-acting, good mix of platforming and fighting, combat that has some variety and complexity available despite not needing to use it much, but there's just something about the game that just doesn't click for me.

I'm up to Level 9 or 10, (just finished the Windmill part) and I can only play the game in 1 or 2 level spurts before I lose interest. I intend on finishing it, but can't quite figure out why I don't like the game more. I guess it would have to be a combination of the story not being very interesting so far, as it's pretty much just a poor excuse to get from point A to B. Also, the combat can be a little repetitive, and the platforming is a little too straightforward and automatic.

Parch

I don't recall any framerate issues.
I liked it. It's a nice mix of gameplay styles, decent story, and good character development. Not going to win any awards but it's worth a play through.

Tizoc

Well I just beat the game
The ending is lame IMO felt very anit-climatic, would've been better if it was a giant AI that was enslaving people to build it's own empire or something
Gonna try and get some more trophies before playing the DLC.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I beat it.

It was......ok.

The framerate was pure dogshit on the PS3. From pictures it looks great. Start moving, and Dear God.

Trying to go for Platinum now. Do they REALLY expect you to get EVERY SINGLE ORB?!!

Are they fucking with me?

Mikey Jr. said:
Trying to go for Platinum now. Do they REALLY expect you to get EVERY SINGLE ORB?!!

Are they fucking with me?
Collecting them was huge pain in the ***.... oh god I remember missing 3 in chapter 9 which was soooo long, I almost cried going back to the start and check every inch again -.-"

I hope they don't make stupid annoying trophies like this ever again.

Mikey Jr.

The Praiseworthy said:
Collecting them was huge pain in the ***.... oh god I remember missing 3 in chapter 9 which was soooo long, I almost cried going back to the start and check every inch again -.-"

I hope they don't make stupid annoying trophies like this ever again.

Yeah, fuck that.

I'm out.

Tuck

Just finished the game. I had played the first half a year ago, got stuck at the Windmill, then picked it up a few days ago.

This was a really good game, though it was definitely better than the sum of its parts.

Platforming was simplistic (Though later levels have more timing based elements). It just really bothered me that you literally could NOT fall off a platform. The game would have been harder, and more fun had they fine tuned the platforming and added depth. Combat was a bit clunky, but it was alright (Aside from the camera issues).

New York City was definitely the highlight of the game. It was easily the most polished, with a beautiful art style and wonderful vistas. Later levels preform increasingly worse, with huge frame rate issues, texture pop-in, etc. The village level also had way too much fighting. It picked back up again after the village. The later levels of the game have noticeable performance issues, but the level design picks back up. There were a ton of really exciting moments. However, those occasional stealthy moments from New York disappear almost completely by the end of the game, which is unfortunate.

The occasional cinematic moments were cool too. The cloud sections were fun, and featured more traditional platforming (Where timing actually matters).

The last level was awesome. I'm glad they didn't opt to do a final boss.

The ending was interesting.
I liked it, but it didn't really make sense - why would Pyramid kill people if he was trying to give them a better life? I don't really get that.

I really hope they make a sequel.

daedalius

I beat the game on the hardest difficulty a few weeks ago, I didn't really have any issues with the framerate on 360.

Enjoyable game, and I really liked the art direction, despite some of the muddy textures (which I barely noticed), and animation. Combat wasn't the best, but serviceable for the hardest difficulty; hate some of those moments you get locked into a move.

I would buy a sequel if they put one out. I kind of want to get the DLC, but I don't particularly want to play as Pigsy, heh.

Just finished this game, had a blast with it. Actually looking forward to orb hunting and getting the rest of the trophies.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a Classic Monkey DLC code they aren't using? I really want to play in the Sun Goku outfit! I'm so angry that just because I wasn't there day one, I miss out on this costume! I would gladly buy it if they made it available.

JJD

I finished the game last week. While I thought that the gameplay was pretty average the
matrix
ending left me curious to where the story was headed. I don't know if I would play part 2 if Ninja Theory manages to convince Namco to release another, but I definitely would look up the plot on Wikipedia! Lol...

Xaeinovis

Neo Member
Just finished the game finally (I had it for a couple months and played it off and on). Overall, I liked the game a lot, and I really think that there is some good potential for this world to expand upon in sequels.

What was weird to me was that combat felt very standard when you would fight the typical three mech group, but would feel a lot better when you had to fight 5+.

I do hope to see some sort of followup in the future, but the sales have not been all that fantastic. Here's hoping.

daedalius said:
I beat the game on the hardest difficulty a few weeks ago, I didn't really have any issues with the framerate on 360.

Really? Every 360 owner has said it's bad as it is on the PS3

daedalius said:
I would buy a sequel if they put one out. I kind of want to get the DLC, but I don't particularly want to play as Pigsy, heh.

The DLC is surprising good.

Gvaz

Banned
So I just got this game because someone took screenshots earlier in 1080p somehow (dev kit?) and I got it for the PS3. Any tips for a beginner?

Omikaru

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Whilst I can't speak for the full PS3 version, I tried the demo on both 360 and PS3, and the PS3 version had far and away the worst framerate of the two. Noticeably so. It's the only reason I bought this on 360, to be honest with you.

monome

Tuck said:
Just finished the game. I had played the first half a year ago, got stuck at the Windmill, then picked it up a few days ago.

This was a really good game, though it was definitely better than the sum of its parts.

Platforming was simplistic (Though later levels have more timing based elements). It just really bothered me that you literally could NOT fall off a platform. The game would have been harder, and more fun had they fine tuned the platforming and added depth. Combat was a bit clunky, but it was alright (Aside from the camera issues).

New York City was definitely the highlight of the game. It was easily the most polished, with a beautiful art style and wonderful vistas. Later levels preform increasingly worse, with huge frame rate issues, texture pop-in, etc. The village level also had way too much fighting. It picked back up again after the village. The later levels of the game have noticeable performance issues, but the level design picks back up. There were a ton of really exciting moments. However, those occasional stealthy moments from New York disappear almost completely by the end of the game, which is unfortunate.

The occasional cinematic moments were cool too. The cloud sections were fun, and featured more traditional platforming (Where timing actually matters).

The last level was awesome. I'm glad they didn't opt to do a final boss.

The ending was interesting.
I liked it, but it didn't really make sense - why would Pyramid kill people if he was trying to give them a better life? I don't really get that.

I really hope they make a sequel.

No sequel coming.
Follow the leader or die, bitches.

Gvaz

Banned
Wow the art style is great but the graphics and fps are atrocious

I wish this was released on the PC instead

Also those camera angles are pisspoor

Para bailar La Bomba said:

If I recall correctly Digital Foundry's analysis suggested the PS3 version ran worse than the 360 version.

I picked up the 360 version on a deal a while back, and still haven't started it. I really plan to soon though, as it seems like it's worth my time.

Gvaz

Banned
At times the fps clearly dips into the 10 or 15 fps range, especially on large explosions or in combat. I can tell some people not being able to notice it but it's very obvious to me.

So, finally completed this.

Good points:

- Good, interesting story.
- Colourful and beautiful landscapes, makes a refreshing change from the genericism out there.
- Great atmosphere in parts, especially at the top of the wind-turbine

Bad points:

- Broken and frustrating controls
- Riddled with game-breaking bugs (360 version), had to restart from checkpoint on several occasions due to get stuck in scenery, falling through floors etc
- Felt unpolished and somewhat rushed
- Combat is clunky and unsatisfying. Beyond night and day compared with something like Ninja Gaiden.
- Poor framerate and jaggies
- Very linear with little in the way of exploration
- A bit jarring just seeing random photos of the developers and their holiday-snaps throughout the game in flashbacks (even if this is explained somewhat at the end)

Overall, I did enjoy my experience with Enslaved and it was far better than Heavenly Sword. But i just feel it could have been so much more. Great idea, poor execution. Ninja Theory certainly know how to do the cinematic stuff (in a similar way to Naughty Dog), but they just can't seem to build a solid game around it. Will be interesting to see what happens with DMC.

Haunted

I'd like to see Ninja Theory as a grunt work studio. Let them design, let them model, let them create environments.

But dear god, let someone else design, implement and polish the actual gameplay.

It's a game of extremes, hitting highs in one level, then sinking super low in others.

edit: and then put it out on PC so I can play it in a proper resolution, smooth framerate and without tearing.

Sydle

Just finished it and I enjoyed it enough for the $20 I paid.

I agree with the thought that Ninja Theory needs new game play and combat designers.

kaskade

I bought the game for 9 bucks on amazon a little while ago. Actually enjoying it quiet a bit, seems longer than I expected too. I just finished Chapter 10 and there still seems to be a few left according to what I saw. I thought it was going to end up being like 5-6 hours, but it feels like I might be at around that time now. It's just nice to look at. Doesn't really feel too hard so it's kind of nice to relax too.

BadWolf

Got it for 10 bucks on sale and it was well worth it. The framerate was iffy but the art style sort of made up for that, the characters were few but likable and the story was good. The gameplay was fun, though kinda basic. I liked how movement wasn't a problem between the two since most of the time you could just get Trip on Monkey's back.

8/10

lethe

Have been getting through my backlog and finished this on the weekend. I really enjoyed it, the scenery/atmosphere, music & characters were amazing.

A real shame it's considered a commercial failure and there won't be a sequal.

Top Bottom