• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West PC port is coming this week (so in 1-2 days?)

DocSeuss

I've heard nothing but good things about this game, sales figures aside.

Really looking forward to playing it the right way.

I've heard bad things. Some dude wrote a review about how wrong it was for us white guys to enjoy a game entitled "enslaved" because we'd never experienced slavery and how exploitative it was of the idea of slavery since the protagonist, who is enslaved, still has power and wins over his slaver.

I'm saying that the bad things I've heard were really stupid.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Don't do it. It's still a bad to mediocre game even if you take away the things that dragged down the console release (tearing and horrendous performance).

Marjar

Banned
I remember trying it out and finding it really boring. The "platforming" can barely be called that and the combat gets old rather fast.

I didn't get all that far, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
After playing through the new Devil May Cry I'm actually excited to check this out. I've only played the demo on the 360 way back when it was released and don't remember anything about it. But after DMC my opinion of Ninja Theory has become very positive.

The game is no DmC. Like others said, it is basically Uncharted with melee instead of shooting. Platforming is very simple and the game basically plays itself. Even on hard it is a breeze.

But it looks great, the art design is awesome, the character graphics are great (especially the face modeling), and the story is rather good. It's a good relaxing game.

Miker

I really enjoyed this game, and the I'm also in the minority in thinking the ending was good. Kinda weird to throw this out during such a busy week, but if it's 20 or less I'll bite.

I also enjoyed the ending. I suppose you can make the criticism that it's a bit of a non-ending, but it left the game on such an interesting note I don't mind.

Grief.exe

^
PS3 version. 360 version was better according to feedback here and from Digital Foundry.

The Digital Foundry article said the differences between the platforms are quite minute. They gave a recommend to the 360 version only when forced to make a decision, they directly said either version is fine.

Payment options just added to the Enslaved Sub

7 minutes ago Changed PurchaseRestrictedCountries – JP › AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE
7 minutes ago Changed AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries – 0 › 1

iQ1GVeUAf8Abk.gif

The game is no DmC. Like others said, it is basically Uncharted with melee instead of shooting. Platforming is very simple and the game basically plays itself. Even on hard it is a breeze.

But it looks great, the art design is awesome, the character graphics are great (especially the face modeling), and the story is rather good. It's a good relaxing game.

For the right price, that's good enough for me. :p

Clawww

What system? Played on 360 and I had no issues with it whatsoever.

You have got to be lying, or daft or something. The tearing, stuttering, input lag, etc. is fucking atrocious, I've never even heard of fans of the game act like it isn't a drawback to the game.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Yea, definitely - like I said it's not a bad game at all. But just don't expect DmC. NT made significant strides forward on mechanics that you don't see here. Probably because of the collaboration with Capcom.

Yea, definitely - like I said it's not a bad game at all. But just don't expect DmC. NT made significant strides forward on mechanics that you don't see here. Probably because of the collaboration with Capcom.

Devil May Cry just made me want to check out their past work, more than anything. I'll probably get a copy of Heavenly Sword at some point as well.

nbthedude

It's a fairly easy game, no doubt, but I think you are under selling it a bit. There are a couple of pretty cool unique mechanics such as:

1) Stealth gameplay until you are caught dynamically changing into combat gameplay. I know games like Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 have recently done this well but Enslaved did it pretty well before these games.

2) A mix of mid range shooting combat and melee combat that is pretty neat risk/reward.

LiK

You have got to be lying, or daft or something. The tearing, stuttering, input lag, etc. is fucking atrocious, I've never even heard of fans of the game act like it isn't a drawback to the game.

Wasn't enough to cause me to notice it or hate the game for it. I'm not alone in this. And no, I'm not "lying or daft or something."

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's a fairly easy game, no doubt, but I think you are under selling it a bit. There are a couple of pretty cool unique mechanics such as:

1) Stealth gameplay until you are caught dynamically changing into combat gameplay. I know games like Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 have recently done this well but Enslaved did it pretty well before these games.

2) A mix of mid range shooting combat and melee combat that is pretty neat risk/reward.

Well, I haven't seen many sections I could completely sneak past, and I don't like the shooting controls. It doesn't feel right. I barely use it. A higher framerate might help things.

Ehh, that's overselling it. A more accurate comparison would be Prince of Persia (the one where you couldn't die), except slower, less visually interesting, and with a botched second half.
Practically every stealth game (or game with stealth) with melee elements does this. Thief, Metal Gear, Uncharted, etc.

dEvAnGeL

Well, it sure as hell the game won't be out today, I'm going to bed GAF, good night, hopefully tomorrow we will be able to enjoy the game once again

Ocaso

Any brave souls want to tell us if the PSN version features any form of performance enhancements? I imagine not, but won't really know until someone tries it out.

Top Bottom