• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West sales fail to break 500K worldwide

MrNyarlathotep said:
Personally, Ninja Theory have always struck me as what happens when you make a games company and you put the art team in charge of everything; game mechanics, level design, budget, project planning, the works.

You end up with aeshetically pleasing shallow experiences.

I for one aren't going to be crying any tears over there being less games in future that entirely rely on style over substance.
Hey now, that's not fair.

Enslaved was pretty garish looking outside of a few cool looking robots and good facial animation. I think "aesthetically pleasing" is being too kind.

"aesthetically pleasing" to a given value of an art director with possibly too much influence over the final products personal aesthetics, of course.

Some of you need to learn how to form arguments.

I mean, no offense You know what? Fuck it, all the offense. All of it. Reading some of these arguments hurts me physically.

How about you attack your opponent's argument instead of trying to imply a lack of integrity in anyone who doesn't agree with you?

ezekial45

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

I mean, no offense You know what? Fuck it, all the offense. All of it. Reading some of these arguments hurts me physically.

How about you attack your opponent's argument instead of trying to imply a lack of integrity in anyone who doesn't agree with you?

Who are you talking about?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've had this game in my PS3 for over 2 months and I'm still on chapter 2. I actually enjoyed what I played of it but I just always pick something like Shatter or Tetris over booting this up.

ezekial45 said:

V_Arnold

I've seen him say the exact same thing in every Enslaved thread.

Edit: Also pretty much anybody who implies most of the hate for this game is "lulz stupid DMC fanboys".

Mooreberg

It's a good thing they're taking fan input so seriously for DMC. Wouldn't want to alienate the fan base that was already there or anything. o_0

Dipswitch

Very good game, with characters you actually give a shit about. Shame it didn't do better financially, but it sounds like Namco may see enough potential in the franchise to keep it going.

stupei

Fimbulvetr said:

Just because you have a personal vendetta against posters in this thread because of what you think of their posts in other threads, that doesn't give you the right to be ignorant. It's sad, really. These are some of the best posts of the year and to see you tear them down because you want people to make just the same old post with logic and details to back up opinions is just sick. It is sick and it is wrong and it is DULL.

This is what's wrong with this message board.

Dipswitch said:
Very good game, with characters you actually give a shit about. Shame it didn't do better financially, but it sounds like Namco may see enough potential in the franchise to keep it going.
I don't mind your description of the characters in so much as I wouldn't have put so many words between "characters" and "shit."

hamchan

ezekial45 said:
I think it's the whole "You haven't played Enslaved you're all just angry at DmC so you're throwing hate at Enslaved in revenge!"

Now people have to qualify their posts with "oh no, I'm not a DMC fan at all". It's fucking stupid.

ShockingAlberto said:
I like the idea that, to think Ninja Theory can't make a good game, it must mean you have a separate, irrational agenda in the background.
Yeah, but what many here aren't getting is that their is a marked difference between simply not liking a game (which tons of people do on tons of games) and the super negative tone that permeates this thread. Most people don't have this kind of hatred for games that simply didn't hit the mark for them, they simply state that and move on. You'd be blind not to see that for some of the posters here, there is more going on. Instead of the usual "meh, not my thing" type of post you'd see around here, the thread is full of the kind of attacks you'd usually see reserved for Too Human and the like.

Chichikov

Dresden said:
Ninja Theory needs to make RPGs, not action games. Something with a greater focus on storytelling where their inadequacies, for whatever reason, regarding actual gameplay is less of a concern.

I don't like them making DMC, but I'd like them to try a Final Fantasy game if u kno wut i meen.
Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't, but judging from Enslaved, I'd say storytelling is quite a concern.
In my book, as much as the gameplay.

To call the story a mess would be an understatement.

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, but what many here aren't getting is that their is a marked difference between simply not liking a game (which tons of people do on tons of games) and the super negative tone that permeates this thread. Most people don't have this kind of hatred for games that simply didn't hit the mark for them, they simply state that and move on. You'd be blind not to see that for some of the posters here, there is more going on. Instead of the usual "meh, not my thing" type of post you'd see around here, the thread is full of the kind of attacks you'd usually see reserved for Too Human and the like.
That's kind of irrelevant, though, isn't it? Who's to judge what the tone of criticism should be? The only way someone could possibly have a feeling on that is whether they have an opinion on the game itself, which seems to be something that you state once and then leave.

Personally, I actually disliked Enslaved. It was a dislike made all the more extreme not by DmC, but by struggling to finish the game on the encouragement of those that liked it. I felt like I was sold a bill of goods that did not pan out. It was a game that was at best merely competent, a complement I feel extremely uneasy paying it.

There may be some people here that want to tear Enslaved down as some sort of revolution that will keep Ninja Theory off DmC, sure. Just like there may be some people pretending it was a good game in order to rouse fans to entertain themselves.

Chances are, people who disliked the game just plain disliked it, and may want to reiterate that fact and why they disliked it as much as they want. It is, if nothing else, a more entertaining activity than Enslaved ever managed to be.

YagizY

Tobor said:
Games like this should not start at $60, end of story.

I agree with this AND I loved the game. With all the talk about the game being pretty good when it came out I would've bought it for $40 at launch. Instead I waited a while and it dropped like a rock in price and I grabbed it for $20. I'm pretty much a gamer that either buys a game at launch (rare) or waits for it to hit $20 and I don't care how long I have to wait. In Enslaved's case, it wasn't long.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Crewnh said:
Traded in some old ds games for it, then traded it in toward asscreedbro. I have no regrets.

Should've cut the Enslaved middleman out of the deal and just traded the DS games toward Brotherhood, man.

Played the demo, didn't mind it, but it wasn't even a $20 game (is it $5 now?), so I passed. "Part of the problem" but tough shit. I can't care. :|

ShapeGSX

I'm currently playing this game, and I'm on chapter 9. On nights when I don't get to play it, I'm disappointed. It is a great game.

Tigel

ShapeGSX said:
I'm currently playing this game, and I'm on chapter 9. On nights when I don't get to play it, I'm disappointed. It is a great game.
Yes it is.
I agree that the gameplay is a little shallow. In my opinion, the DLC chapter with Pigsy has better gameplay mechanics than the main game.

DiscoJer

Call me crazy, but I think the title of the game really hurt it.

Does anyone really want to play a game called "Enslaved"?

It's about one of the most unpleasant things possible. I mean, even "Roots", which was about the horrors of slavery, went with a more upbeat title

Meier

Very, very solid game with not much replay value. I think it's one of the better ones I played in 2010 though.

Axiom

They'd have sold a ton more in Europe & Australia if they'd played up the Monkey Magic thing. Sure it's all just Journey to the West, but that show is beloved. They knew it too with the 'classic' dlc

Akia said:
link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-03-enslaved-sales-fail-to-break-500-000

RIZ034E04F.jpg

:(

Why do companies expect good sales form games when they don't make any efforts to advertise it? Marketing was non-existent for this game. I did like the demo and I will probably pick it up sooner or later.

The demo killed it for me. It needed to be more Tomb Raider than Uncharted with the climbing.

I thought the concept art that was released via Qore was real purdy.

for me the ending wasn't a good enough payoff for the effort i put into getting through the game besides its gameplay faults. I was hoping the story would make up for it but the ending left a bad taste which gave me an overall poor impression of the whole game.

I do hope the developers keep making games though, they have good concepts like trying to place importance on story and characters, and I appreciate that.

I actually really liked this game. I picked it up during the buy two get one free deal not too long ago at Best Buy. I will say, it's best if you rent. As much as I loved it, I finished it in like three days and I don't see much replay value in it.

Top Bottom