• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enter The Gungeon |OT| Praise the gun

Picked this up along with Hyper Light Drifter a week ago.

I put a few solid nights into it, and got past the 3rd chamber once. Started with the Huntress, and switched to the Marine, because he gets that extra armor. Been playing on ps4.

The game is very fun, challenging, and also easy to just pick up and play. The last game I remember getting into so naturally was Rogue Legacy. But I'm just starting to play games again.

Miker

Went back into it for the first time in forever due to the supply drop update and yup, the first floor is still an utter chore. I'd play it so much more if it was half the length it is now. The fact that waves (no matter how trivial) have the chance to spawn in after clearing out a room is obnoxious. I'm not good enough to play past the third chamber on a regular basis so I see no need to continue playing a game in which 50% of my time is spent on the first level, and you're ill-equipped for later levels if you take the shortcut.

saunderez

Went back into it for the first time in forever due to the supply drop update and yup, the first floor is still an utter chore. I'd play it so much more if it was half the length it is now. The fact that waves (no matter how trivial) have the chance to spawn in after clearing out a room is obnoxious. I'm not good enough to play past the third chamber on a regular basis so I see no need to continue playing a game in which 50% of my time is spent on the first level, and you're ill-equipped for later levels if you take the shortcut.

If you think the first floor is a chore The Forge and Bullet Hell are going to be a nightmare for you. The first floor is a warmup where you try and get a decent start to get game proper.

cntr

Banned
Huh? I always think the first floor is really short, and get surprised that I've gone through all the rooms already.

Miker

If you think the first floor is a chore The Forge and Bullet Hell are going to be a nightmare for you. The first floor is a warmup where you try and get a decent start to get game proper.

Well, yeah, I suck at the game, but I don't feel like I would have a different opinion if I were better. As a roguelike you're incentized to save ammo where you can, and enemies take a lot of shots to kill with the basic pistol, so it just takes a long time without how big the first chamber can be.

saunderez

Well, yeah, I suck at the game, but I don't feel like I would have a different opinion if I were better. Enemies take a lot of shots to kill and as a roguelike you're incentized to save ammo where you can.

You will eventually become good enough to be able to clear the entire first floor with starting weapons (including the boss) so saving ammo isn't anything to worry about. A lot of the times I don't even get a weapon on the first floor due to getting brown chests I refuse to waste keys on. When that happens I sometimes don't even get an alternative weapon until half way through the 2nd floor which is usually saved for the 2nd floor boss.

Huh? I always think the first floor is really short, and get surprised that I've gone through all the rooms already.

I feel like I blow through it too. Usually just dodge rolling from room to room like an idiot.

Yuuichi

The first floor isn't super long, but I can certainly see the argument that it's a little too long.

Even after the update, as a semi-casual player, I think it's way too easy to get screwed by drops. It doesn't feel like a normal rougelike because you're forced to constantly make choices about if you're going to spend money to gamble on useful items (buying keys) or purchasing a just ok item, especially because it feels like they've nerfed what can show up in shops. I don't think I've seen an instance of table tech sights in months, and it used to show up occasionally in the first or second floor shop.

Also doesn't help that with the limited amount of items you can get, a lot of them are just super fucking useless. I found a ring today for the first time that grants you two hp, but breaks if you try and purchase anything, which really isn't a playstyle trade-off worth making.

Sure, you can theoretically beat the game without ever getting hit using only the starting weapon. I've master chambered up to floor three, but even then the way shit drops can just make things (notably floor four, where it feels like hp really gets turned up) not that fun.

RockmanBN

How well does a controller work for this game? And does the PS4 version have the new update yet?

PS4 version should have the update a week after the day the PC version released.

The PS4 version controls like a twin stick shooter. It has a slight auto aim that you can adjust depending on your taste. My only problem is that they only give you preset controls. I wish you could adjust every button like in the PC version.

How well does a controller work for this game? And does the PS4 version have the new update yet?

Control is precise. I think someone said something about controller having auto aim, or aim assist. Right analogue and r1 is for aiming and shooting, while the left analogue and l1 are for movement and dodge rolling.

the one thing I don't like is pressing the 2 sticks together to use a blank. I haven't checked to see if the controls can be changed though.

Miker

You will eventually become good enough to be able to clear the entire first floor with starting weapons (including the boss) so saving ammo isn't anything to worry about. A lot of the times I don't even get a weapon on the first floor due to getting brown chests I refuse to waste keys on. When that happens I sometimes don't even get an alternative weapon until half way through the 2nd floor which is usually saved for the 2nd floor boss.

I mean that's the thing. The optimal way to play is to play using starting weapons, and that just prolongs the first floor longer than it needs to. As Yuuichi above says, some items in this game are absolutely worthless, too.

saunderez

the one thing I don't like is pressing the 2 sticks together to use a blank. I haven't checked to see if the controls can be changed though.

On PC I have changed B to be blank. Too many accidental fires with RS+LS. With dodge roll on LB why do I also need it on B?

I mean that's the thing. The optimal way to play is to play using starting weapons, and that just prolongs the first floor longer than it needs to.

Fair enough I see your point, just hope you can take some solace in knowing it gets easier (and quicker). Unlike a lot of Binding of Isaac runs where you're constantly fighting fucking Rag Man on the first floor with below average damage and tears after getting a useless item and/or no consumables.

I think I might take the jump on this and saw that both PS4 & PC are on sale, are they both on equal playing grounds in terms of running? Would I benefit more from one than the other or does it boil down to play preference? Thanks in advance.

saunderez

I think I might take the jump on this and saw that both PS4 & PC are on sale, are they both on equal playing grounds in terms of running? Would I benefit more from one than the other or does it boil down to play preference? Thanks in advance.

Apparently the controls are more customisable on PC but I don't think theres any appreciable difference apart from that.

I exclusively play with controller. Works fine due to generous auto-aim. I tried KB+M many times but just can't get the hang of it.

Well, it is a twin stick shooter. One of the only times a controller is absolutely better than a KB/m. They give you a crosshair when you're using a mouse for a reason.

saunderez

Well, it is a twin stick shooter. One of the only times a controller is absolutely better than a KB/m. They give you a crosshair when you're using a mouse for a reason.

I have no doubt that being able to free aim with the mouse could be better....but I can't get the hang of it. Too much Geometry Wars to reprogram my brain to do it any other way. Mouse region on the Steam controller is pretty good though.

cntr

Banned
For what it's worth, I find the starting weapons really fun. They feel good to use, and that goes especially so once you get better at the game. And when you're doing things like shooting around corners with your default as if you were in an actual shoot-out, it works really well.

But your mileage may vary.

AoM

Fair enough I see your point, just hope you can take some solace in knowing it gets easier (and quicker). Unlike a lot of Binding of Isaac runs where you're constantly fighting fucking Rag Man on the first floor with below average damage and tears after getting a useless item and/or no consumables.

??

This is how I feel every run in Gungeon lol. It's combination of:

- every boss has a good amount of health + the bullet hell aspect.
- not finding keys to open chests to get guns.
- not getting good guns/items when I can open chests.
- not getting ammo drops for any good guns I do find.

Isaac and Gungeon have the middle two in common. And add to the differences the marked disparity in health drops/ups.

Yuuichi

??

This is how I feel every run in Gungeon lol. It's combination of:

- every boss has a good amount of health + the bullet hell aspect.
- not finding keys to open chests to get guns.
- not getting good guns/items when I can open chests.
- not getting ammo drops for any good guns I do find.

Isaac and Gungeon have the middle two in common. And add to the differences the marked disparity in health drops/ups.

not finding keys seems to be an issue of the past with the new update, I'm going into floor four now with five keys, and I only purchased two on the first floor and have opened every chest

saunderez

not finding keys seems to be an issue of the past with the new update, I'm going into floor four now with five keys, and I only purchased two on the first floor and have opened every chest

Agreed. I had 7 keys half way through floor 2 last night. 2 from a secret room on floor 1.

darklin0

Banned
I am very glad I bought this game.

I was not expecting a Metal Gear Solid reference. This game won me over instantly due to that.

Yuuichi

so those of you who play a lot, what's the best way to deal with floor 4?

I can make it there pretty regularly but always get my ass handed to me, the one exception being the time I got there with table tech sights (which is also the only time I've made it to floor 5). I just feel constantly outnumbered in tight quarters in a way my weapons aren't ready to deal with.

AoM

First run

vSoiAKg.png

saunderez

so those of you who play a lot, what's the best way to deal with floor 4?

I can make it there pretty regularly but always get my ass handed to me, the one exception being the time I got there with table tech sights (which is also the only time I've made it to floor 5). I just feel constantly outnumbered in tight quarters in a way my weapons aren't ready to deal with.

I think it's all about having a decent room clearer by that point. You want something like The Heroine, Megahand or The Blooper so that you can get through the floor without depleting your boss killing weapons. There are plenty of other options too, those are just the first that came to mind. Obviously picking your targets is important too (focus on killing any enemies that fire black shots first as they do double damage) but without a reliable room clearer I usually find myself depleted by the time I get to the boss. And then Kill Pillars or The High Priest put an end to me pretty quickly.

First run

vSoiAKg.png

Yup...keys for days...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I mean that's the thing. The optimal way to play is to play using starting weapons, and that just prolongs the first floor longer than it needs to. As Yuuichi above says, some items in this game are absolutely worthless, too.

The pacing at the start is one of the worst things about the game. It's tedious as hell (first and second floors) and ideally should be accomplished in half the time. I always feel the game actually starts on the 3rd floor.

Jaroof

Holy crap,
I ran into an actual miniboss on the second floor!
I've never seen that before!

Yeah, the amount of content in this game is staggering.
More to come soon, too! I played a bit of the update at PAX recently.
New enemies, new guns... The new gun I found made me laugh.
It was a
giant shotgun shell that shot shotguns, and when the shotguns hit something, they'd shoot
. Genius.

Valahart

Really can't understand people saying keys are too sparse.

If anything I feel like devs are throwing way too many keys at us recently.

It's been a handful of runs in which I simply could have opened everything if I wanted too.

For those struggling with keys:

It's not usually worth it opening brown chest, and even blue chests if you know it's going to be a weapon (1 passive and 1 weapon per floor).

Secret rooms usually appear close to chest rooms or the elevators, they tend to pack keys there.

Hunter's Dog might dig up keys from time to time. Pilot's lockpick is self explanatory.

Don't pick up any keys from the floor until you've opened the shop, that guarantees there's gonna be a key for sale.

vato_loco

Guys. GUYS. I bought this game a while ago. I played it. I love it.

But. I. Suck.

Seriously, I've been playing for the better part of two weeks and I don't know what the fifth floor looks like.

Is there any guide that could help me suck less? Like, what are the strengths and weaknesses of every character, how do I find the secrets or anything?

I seriously love this game but it's really damn annoying that I can't get anywhere in it.

RiggyRob

For keys, kill key dudes, buy them, get lucky.

For secret rooms shoot walls with the non-starter guns.

Always leave keys on the floor in until you've visited the shop in a given level. This ensures the shop always has at least 1 key to buy. Once you've been to the shop you can pick them all up. Also buy as many keys as you can on the earlier floors because they get more expensive as you go on.

Shoot the walls with a weapon that's not the starting weapons. Secret room entrances will crack.

Which dudes are key dudes? I've been trying to clear out all of the rooms before visiting the shop, and I don't often seem to get keys as a drop. Playing on PS4 by the way.

I know that secret walls exist and you have to shoot them with a non-standard gun, but I don't know what the tell-tale signs to show there is a secret room are. The one time I did it we bought the map from the shop and then used a blank to open up the room...which had a blank in it.

cntr

Banned
The increased key drops and Keybullet Kin are part of Supply Drop, so you'll have to wait a few days to get that

Number45

Guys. GUYS. I bought this game a while ago. I played it. I love it.

But. I. Suck.

Seriously, I've been playing for the better part of two weeks and I don't know what the fifth floor looks like.

Is there any guide that could help me suck less? Like, what are the strengths and weaknesses of every character, how do I find the secrets or anything?

I seriously love this game but it's really damn annoying that I can't get anywhere in it.
I'm no expert at the game by any stretch, but when I started (and realised how hard it was) I spent a good chunk of time using the starting gun *ONLY*. Don't worry about other weapons or items - just focus on being able to hit your target while avoiding everything that's being thrown at you (either by moving normally, dodging or using a blank). Prioritise evasion techniques in that order as well I was told (I can't remember where).

If you can kill things that way and stay alive long enough to get to the lower floors you can then start to mix better (or different) weapons and items into your arsenal.

As for in depth information on how to find secrets (I know to shoot the walls, but some streamers I watch know which rooms are likely to have a secret in them) or what items to buy or what chests to open... I'm still trying to work that out myself.

Purkake4

Banned
Which dudes are key dudes? I've been trying to clear out all of the rooms before visiting the shop, and I don't often seem to get keys as a drop. Playing on PS4 by the way.

I know that secret walls exist and you have to shoot them with a non-standard gun, but I don't know what the tell-tale signs to show there is a secret room are. The one time I did it we bought the map from the shop and then used a blank to open up the room...which had a blank in it.
Secret room wall will get a noticable bunch of cracks in it. Good places to check are chest rooms and the elevator to next floor room.

vato_loco

I'm no expert at the game by any stretch, but when I started (and realised how hard it was) I spent a good chunk of time using the starting gun *ONLY*. Don't worry about other weapons or items - just focus on being able to hit your target while avoiding everything that's being thrown at you (either by moving normally, dodging or using a blank). Prioritise evasion techniques in that order as well I was told (I can't remember where).

If you can kill things that way and stay alive long enough to get to the lower floors you can then start to mix better (or different) weapons and items into your arsenal.

As for in depth information on how to find secrets (I know to shoot the walls, but some streamers I watch know which rooms are likely to have a secret in them) or what items to buy or what chests to open... I'm still trying to work that out myself.
Good idea. I absolutely suck at dodging, I should just try to get better at that. I took too long to get relatively good at Isaac, but this one is so different!

I have to say, there are few games I've ever had trouble progressing in, but damn if I have never made it past floor 3. I'm sure if I really put the work into it I could, but not as I'm playing now. Says a lot about the game that I keep coming back to it though, and excited to check out some of the new content later today.

Echoing the long drag of floor 1 - it's not that I have a problem clearing it with the starting weapons, it's that I have to do it on every run and it gets boring. I would much prefer an increased difficulty with more frequent gun drops - the game is at its best when I'm firing like mad.

Although, now that I've spent time and realized certain guns are just straight OP, maybe that's why they leave mostly brown chests on floor 1.

Breads

Banned
Echoing the long drag of floor 1 - it's not that I have a problem clearing it with the starting weapons, it's that I have to do it on every run and it gets boring. I would much prefer an increased difficulty with more frequent gun drops - the game is at its best when I'm firing like mad.

Although, now that I've spent time and realized certain guns are just straight OP, maybe that's why they leave mostly brown chests on floor 1.

This is ultimately why I quit early. Each run has a mandatory chore period because of the lack of relative synergy/ strength you can get early on compared to other roguelites like Binding of Isaac or Risk of Rain. And because the task is more based on skill than drops (though drops can certainly keep you back) the prospect of spending a 100 hours or however long it takes to unlock everything is profoundly unattractive. Certain portions of the game are the same every time and I couldn't deal with how slow progress is.

After about 15 hours I finally got the Megahand, and was basically an unstoppable, untouchable force...until I reached the High Priest. My goodness he is such a run destroyer, I hope he is more tolerable in the Supply Drop update.

Coreda

After reading this thread where no one posting, even those with up to 100 hours clocked, have beaten the game it honestly makes me wish I could get that Shortcut feature up and running or if there was just a mod that allowed for respawning on the same level. There are going to be only so many times I feel like reaching a point and being killed just to be sent back to square one.

I like the Everspace method of constantly improving the perks and base equipment each run via credits earned, as at least there is some permanent progress (there is some here wrt unlocking drops from the Breach shop and the shortcuts thing but I'd rather have better perks/weapon load out).

I tried playing this again after a long break... man, my hand was killing me afterward. I have difficulty with both options, MKB and gamepad.

Has anyone stumbled upon a decent alternative control scheme? I'm not sure if one is even possible since you need to be able to use both sticks at all times.

if you know it's going to be a weapon (1 passive and 1 weapon per floor).

Wat. I didn't know that! I assume it's 1 weapon plus 1 item (passive or active) per floor?

Don't pick up any keys from the floor until you've opened the shop, that guarantees there's gonna be a key for sale.

I also didn't know this, neat!

This is also my issue and why I don't tend to chain runs the way I do with Spelunky or FTL. The issue is that it's easy enough that completing the run more or less untouched feels like the "normal" state, yet it takes quite a bit, so it's more of a chore than anything, with the chance of messing up the run before it even "starts". I would really love that the shortcut to floor 2 didn't leave you so underpowered and so wasn't nearly useless.

Top Bottom