• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enter The Gungeon |OT| Praise the gun

cntr

Banned
The Hunter and the Marine are the best starting characters. The Hunter starting gun and crossbow is really good. While the Marine's gun is technically weaker, his accuracy makes it a lot more reliable and precise, so he effectively deals more damage.

saunderez

Be patient, most people take 40+ hours to beat the first time even though the actual run only lasts 1 hour tops.

Different colored chests drop different tiers of items, being from worst to best: Brown < Blue < Green < Black < Black < Red.

You usually don't want to open brown chests, you want to destroy them, but as you get more acquainted with the game you'll start to figure out better how to manage your keys.

You get good stuff if you flawless the bosses.

The Hunter is the best for begginers imo, because her bow one shots most enemies on the first and second floor.

In addition to this....

Key strat is the most important part of the game for most runs. The more keys you have the more chests you open the more awesome shit you find. So taking that into consideration...Due to the way the RNG works it is a good idea NOT to pick up any keys until you have found the shop. Just leave them lying there they ain't going anywhere. This will ensure the shop has a key for sale, maximising the amount of keys you can acquire on any given floor. I think the key is only guaranteed on floor 1 but I feel like it at least increases your chances on later floors.

Mazre

Tips for beginners:
-Dodging is important.
-Movement and positioning are more important than dodging, a lot of the game is learning where to be to setup favorable dodges. Remember you're exposed during the roll portion of your dodge roll.
-It's a top down game but circle strafing is still your friend, most enemies early in the game don't track their shots, later game enemies can and will.
-Experiment with your arsenal, some weapons are much more suited to floor clearing or boss clearing.
-You can't fire while dodging but you can generally charge/hold charge while dodging.
-Beam weapons are interrupted by dodging (generally not great for bosses as a result)
-Learning to flawless the floor 1 bosses is a great boost to your survivability, you get a free heart container (master round) for any main chamber boss you kill without being hit (+ an unlock the first time you do so)
-Once you can reach the 2nd chamber reliably try to focus on rescuing breach denizens (most of them have a chance to spawn in the 2nd chamber)
-Explosions destroy bullets that get caught in their blast
-Enemies that are frozen, stunned, or dead can't hurt you.

- Gungeons version of platinum god bulletk.in, lots of spoilers recommend holding off on visiting till you've completed a few of the pasts.

Edit: Re-characters
Agree that on the whole Marine/Hunter have the strongest starts the Pilot and Convict aren't without their merits either.

Pilot discount and lockpick (best used on brown chests or when you run out of keys and have cleared the floor already) offer the opportunity for a lot of extra loot over the course of a run, plus he can hold two active items right from the start.

Convict- when you're new to the game you're gonna take some hits, especially on bosses, the photograph provides a substantial temp damage boost when you do. Molotov is actually a pretty solid damage boost as well for enemies where you can land it and keep the target in the fire.

Don't be afraid to mix up your starting character from time to time.

Oreoleo

Maybe this will be obvious to most people, but the game started to click a lot more when I approached it more as a bullet hell game as opposed to a twin-stick shooter. Avoiding damage is so much more important than landing shots or being expedient in clearing out enemies. There's no time limit, it's not a race. Slow down and take less risks.

AoM

So a save feature will be in the free update? I'll probably try to get back into the game, but I expect my ass to be kicked once again.

Valahart

So a save feature will be in the free update? I'll probably try to get back into the game, but I expect my ass to be kicked once again.

It's been implemented for a while, you only get to save and quit.

You can't load from the same savepoint multiple times.

Man the serious cannon is A+fucking+mazing. I have been saved could tless times by the rebound on the cannon ball. I had a run where I found that, the scrambler, the glacier and got the bloodied scarf. I was nigh unstoppable until I got killed by the floor 4 boss.

Man the serious cannon is A+fucking+mazing. I have been saved could tless times by the rebound on the cannon ball. I had a run where I found that, the scrambler, the glacier and got the bloodied scarf. I was nigh unstoppable until I got killed by the floor 4 boss.

I once got the cannon plus the homing bullet or whatever it is that makes shots homing. As it rebounded it curved to hit the enemies, good times. :)

Mazre

Finally unlocked Daisuke, the new challenge mode is interesting. Each room gets a random modifier from a pool, and the number of active modifiers increases per floor. So floor 1 theres always 1 modife, floor 2 always has 2. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

The item Daisuke adds when he unlocks is a lot of fun too.
Puzzle box from Hellraiser, as you use it you 'solve' it generally solving demon bulletkin but occasionally spawning cursed loot, got it early in my run and had a huge amount of items by the end of the run.

I completed my first run of the gungeon with the Huntress. Phew, that was fun. Killed my past with half a heart left too. I got really fucking lucky and a rainbow chest spawned after I cleared a room on the second floor. Got some amazing loots from it.

Mazre

The item Daisuke adds when he unlocks is a lot of fun too.
Puzzle box from Hellraiser, as you use it you 'solve' it generally spawning demon bulletkin but occasionally spawning cursed loot, got it early in my run and had a huge amount of items by the end of the run.

And it's already been rebalanced/adjusted.
Looks like they upped the curse accumulation (maybe), added dmg on spawning items after the first one?, and increased and made more various the enemies spawned. Still pretty powerful

I might try playing this again when the update drops. I'm a Binding of Isaac veteran but I found Gungeon to be super difficult to get into, really tough going from the off.

I need some tips for getting past the Chamber 4 bosses. The difficulty seems to spike pretty good there for me, and that seems to be the farthest I can get before I get my ass kicked. Also, I usually fill out the map before fighting the boss, even if I find the boss door early. I'm starting to modify that approach based on the situation (health, ammo, chests found etc.), But I'm wanted to see if you guys had advice on that too.

Edit: Thanks for the advice. I had a good run as the Marine just now where I beat the Kill Pillars, and I almost beat the 5th boss. Went in with one heart and one armor with three blanks, and got to the last phase I think where I mistimed a dodge roll. Getting there!

Mazre

I need some tips for getting past the Chamber 4 bosses. The difficulty seems to spike pretty good there for me, and that seems to be the farthest I can get before I get my ass kicked. Also, I usually fill out the map before fighting the boss, even if I find the boss door early. I'm starting to modify that approach based on the situation (health, ammo, chests found etc.), But I'm wanted to see if you guys had advice on that too.

Kill Pillars:
Piercing and aoe weapons are great for when they clump in the center. Try to time your dodges so you cross a spoke and expanding circle at the same time. I like to save blanks for when they actively chase you as you usually get squeezed to a corner and it can be hard when they fire a volley to get around them. The rest of their attacks are easy to dodge. When it's one statue run out from under and dodge back towards them when they jump after you, passing under them, repeat until dead, try to establish a rhythm.

Wall:
Easiest to get in between the shot columns and dodge everything else by moving vertically. When the fire comes you can either stay on one side and dodge the 4 shot volleys or swap sides, experiment and see what you're comfortable with. Recommend avoiding effects that slow the boss if possible as it can really mess with the timing.

High Priest: Try to keep a medium distance. When he pops a bullet shield and sends a bunch of skulls your way if you blank you'll have several uninterrupted seconds to attack, unlike most bosses that continue to their next attack after being blanked. When he disappears I like to hang out in a corner (I usually use bottom left). It's a bit random but if you're lucky most of the circles will spawn farther out and by the time they reach you be nicely spread out. It's fairly easy to dodge the handful that do spawn near you.

Definitely not an issue to try the boss early on so you can try with more health. As always keep trying and try to learn something new each time.

Well. This game is bloody marvellous, innit?

Indeed. I jumped on the boat fairly late and the concept of playing a game over and over and not making much progress typically doesn't appeal to me, but the core game is just so much fun and I can see myself slowly making progress (finally getting to the 3rd chamber).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
One of the standouts in the genre, IMO.

Indeed. I jumped on the boat fairly late and the concept of playing a game over and over and not making much progress typically doesn't appeal to me, but the core game is just so much fun and I can see myself slowly making progress (finally getting to the 3rd chamber).

Definitely. It's confident in its mechanics and everything exudes an easy charm. I tell myself I'll dip in for a bit then realise I've been playing for hours.

I can't get used to keyboard and have to use a 360 controller, but still cant get past 2nd floor.

Am I doomed?

Also, buying items in the hub area shop only unlocks the chance of them dropping through the game, right?

Mazre

I can't get used to keyboard and have to use a 360 controller, but still cant get past 2nd floor.

Am I doomed?

Also, buying items in the hub area shop only unlocks the chance of them dropping through the game, right?

Controller is fine it's how I play, the game has very generous aim assist with controller (though this sometimes makes shooting things other than enemies a little harder.) What's been killing you most often on floor 2?

Yes hub items/unlocks just add items to the spawn pool.

I'm at 16 hours right now and I've reached the fourth floor about three times. If anything I feel playing with a controller is significantly advantageous as it allows you to move in any direction, not just 8-way. In this game you don't miss by not aiming correctly, you miss by enemies moving while the bullets get there (which is why guns with fast-moving bullets are so useful).

Started a run since the Supply Drop came out today.
I beat the Dragun, but I only have two parts to the past killing bullet. I had a question about that. After obtaining all four parts, when you use the gun that can kill the past, do you have to get the bullet parts all over again for the next character?

Purkake4

Banned
Started a run since the Supply Drop came out today.
I beat the Dragun, but I only have two parts to the past killing bullet. I had a question about that. After obtaining all four parts, when you use the gun that can kill the past, do you have to get the bullet parts all over again for the next character?
No.

Valahart

I can totally see myself doubling my 82h playtime after the next content drop.

Although Challenge Mode is a little underwhelming (I was expecting Binding of Isaac thematic list of challenges), new rooms, weapons and bosses so far have been very refreshing.

Just killed
Bullet's
past.

Coolest one so far, and also the only I had to try more than once.

On to the next character.

EDIT:

1 hour and a half later and I kill
Robot's
past. Really neat battle, although I think we are a little too OP for it to be actually a challenge, wish I could just play it again casually without having to go through the whole thing again. Is it possible once I unlock the
Boss Rush
?

Btw, just noticed the alternate costumes,
Bullet's
is the most clever one! hahaha

RiggyRob

What's the best strategy for getting as many keys as possible? I run into so many chests that I just can't open, even if I leave them to the very end.

Also, how on earth do you find the secret walls?

Purkake4

Banned
What's the best strategy for getting as many keys as possible? I run into so many chests that I just can't open, even if I leave them to the very end.

For keys, kill key dudes, buy them, get lucky.

For secret rooms shoot walls with the non-starter guns.

For some reason I picked up the controller and started playing and now I can't stop. I love this game. It's tough. Finally made it in the Oubliette.

Lulubop

Man I'm getting super into this. I got it on the holiday sale and put a few hours into, but I started playing it again because I was waiting for Tales to unlock. I been hooked since.

AoM

For PC players: anyone else play with a keyboard and mouse? It seems relying on the auto aim with a controller is the way to play.

saunderez

Always leave keys on the floor in until you've visited the shop in a given level. This ensures the shop always has at least 1 key to buy. Once you've been to the shop you can pick them all up. Also buy as many keys as you can on the earlier floors because they get more expensive as you go on.

Shoot the walls with a weapon that's not the starting weapons. Secret room entrances will crack.

AoM

I find KB/M to be wayyyyy superior. Not even close.

I only play with kb/m, but wonder whether it would make it a lot easier because now you only have to focus on dodging, not dodging and aiming. So it is possible to get good using kb/m? lol

Number45

I only play with kb/m, but wonder whether it would make it a lot easier because now you only have to focus on dodging, not dodging and aiming. So it is possible to get good using kb/m? lol
Most of the people I watch on Twitch seem to be using KB/M and doing way better than I could with a controller.

Top Bottom