• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain comments on FFXIII/MGS4 PS3 exclusivity, DQIX sales and expected Wii sales

wazoo

Durante said:
I always wonder when comments like these come up whether analysts fully realize the (technological) difference between this and last gen. You simply can't just go ahead and port a PS3 game that's already some ways into real development to the Wii.

of course, they don't, but they do not care. A good game is a game that sells, same for the consoles. As for the tech difference, they are absolutely clueless. How could they when Ubi Soft has Assassin Creed for ps3 and DS.

ziran

ethelred said:
For Wii? No, there weren't.

Unless we have seriously different definitions of the word "loads." I usually think of loads as being more than one.
Well, I was actually talking about my opinion, you know, not yours. This was also given away by the fact I wrote it.

I loved that Nintendo showed off Wii Music. Wii Sports is one of my favourite games and this is made with the same ethos from my favourite developer. I found out MKWii was 12 player, which is excellent. In addition, SMG looks like the greatest videogame ever made and more SSBB footage = awesome.

AWDS2 looks great, a FE remake was shown and Intelligent Systems looks like it's collaborating with SPD1 (two amazing teams) on Card Hero DS, so it should be excellent.

Also amazing news was WiiWare. It's much bigger than I thought it would be and Dr Mario 4 player was announced, along with a Wii version of Puzloop, both of which are games I think are great. Pokémon Rancher was revealed which is going to be a great help to one of my favourite games in breeding the best Pokémon I can with the right IVs and EVs. S-E announced a FFCC spin off, which I don't really care about, but it suggests games with a bigger scope than simple puzzlers are being considered.

Everybody Votes is being updated, which my family enjoys and the Compare Mii channel looks like it's going to be fun.

Nintendo also put their money where their mouth was and secured an exclusive deal (said to be 2 years) with Capcom for Monster Hunter and more importantly said they were going after more 'gamer' games, which made exclusively for Wii could be excellent.

As I said, loads of great announcements (imo) :)

ethelred

ziran said:
Well, I was actually talking about my opinion, you know, not yours. This was also given away by the fact I wrote it.

Well, your opinion that there were loads of Wii announcements isn't so much an opinion as it is a factually incorrect remark -- again, pending the definiton of loads. There may be some imprecise language use at play here.

ziran said:
I loved that Nintendo showed off Wii Music.

Not an announcement, though.

ziran said:
I found out MKWii was 12 player, which is excellent.

I found that out, too... at E3. Which makes this, you guessed it, not an announcement.

ziran said:
In addition, SMG looks like the greatest videogame ever made and more SSBB footage = awesome.

Not an announcement.

ziran said:
AWDS2 looks great, a FE remake was announced and Intelligent Systems looks like it's collaborating with SPD1 (two amazing teams) on Card Hero DS, so it should be excellent.

None of these are Wii announcements.

ziran said:
Everybody Votes is being updated, which my family enjoys and the Compare Mii channel looks like it's going to be fun.

These, too, are not announcements.

ziran said:
Nintendo also put their money where their mouth was and secured an exclusive deal (said to be 2 years) with Capcom for Monster Hunter and more importantly said they were going after more 'gamer' games, which made exclusively for Wii could be excellent.

Yep, here's the one genuine big announcement for the Wii from the event.

ziran said:
WiiWare stuff

Ehhh... there were a couple interesting things tied up with the WiiWare unveil, but nothing really that major. At most, this would knock the total number of announcements up to five -- which still, I think, one would be hard pressed to define as "loads." But there was only one single noteworthy announcement related to actual retail games... so there really wasn't this huge incredible lineup presented at the show.

zallaaa

is DQIX > 4m really a given? Dunno why I can't see it such a big hitter; certainly there are facts like the userbase and the franchise popularity in support, but I've this feeling...

ethelred

zallaaa said:
is DQIX > 4m really a given? Dunno why I can't see it such a big hitter; certainly there are facts like the userbase and the franchise popularity in support, but I've this feeling...

Yeah, it'll probably only do about 2 mil or so. Portable spinoffs rarely do as well as real main series games.

ziran

ethelred said:
...stuff...
:lol

Think what you like, there were loads of great things I didn't now about for both DS and Wii, which is only a good thing.

FE DS being a remake, total surprise
Card Hero DS, total surprise
Dr Mario Wii 4 player online not previously announced
Puzloop Wii, total surprise
Pokémon Rancher Wii, total surprise
FFCC Wii spin off, total surprise
Everybody Votes Wii being updated, total surprise

With the exception of FFCC, which is from Square so likely to be shitty imo, all these games were newly announced and look great! :D

You're right about MH3 though, it's a fucking huge announcement!

stalker said:
Where does this come from? first I read about this
Mark MacDonald said it's a 2 year exclusive deal on 1up Yours.

ethelred

Ziran, you keep pointing out DS stuff. I haven't said anything about the DS -- it did have a very good showing, and it genuinely did have loads of new game announcements.

But the Wii, as I said, didn't. Most of the stuff for the Wii were games already announced, services already announced, or features already announced. Only two new retail games were announce during the show and only one of those is particularly noteworthy.

ziran

ethelred said:
Alas, poor Ziran -- he's drank so deeply of the Nintendo Kool Aid that he can no longer distinguish between the DS (which had loads of announcements) and the Wii (which did not). :(
WiiWare ;)

You don't have to like the games, but I did. I'm really looking forward to the service :)

It's silly for you to ignore announcements I thought were interesting because they don't fit your agenda.

Also, you're arguing about the term announcement, when it's pretty obvious what I meant. Nintendo had a great show for me, and revealed loads of things I didn't know about. They delivered. If you didn't like it, fine.

EDIT:
stalker said:
Where does this come from? first I read about this
Here's the link, ~58 mins in:
http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/101207.mp3

ethelred

ziran said:
Also, you're arguing about the term announcement, when it's pretty obvious what I meant. Nintendo had a great show for me, and revealed loads of things I didn't know about. They delivered. If you didn't like it, fine.

Fair enough.

Nintendos show didnt really have any interesting announcements apart from MH3, which was really interesting to me...I think it was great for those sold on the system...not much for those who arent

Oh look, another weekend another Sony am doomed post.
Nintendo fans are holding their sales numbers in one hand and fapping with the other hoping for something not made by Nintendo that will matter, 360 fans are sitting hopefull with their little cat gifs on the ready , and Sony fans are just tired of seeing the same shit over and over.

Anyway from what I remember the person in this article has been singing the non exclusive song for quite some time and this is nothing new.

ethelred said:
Ziran, you keep pointing out DS stuff. I haven't said anything about the DS -- it did have a very good showing, and it genuinely did have loads of new game announcements.

But the Wii, as I said, didn't. Most of the stuff for the Wii were games already announced, services already announced, or features already announced. Only two new retail games were announce during the show and only one of those is particularly noteworthy.

Yeah, that's true. Probably it seems that we have had more annoucements because Sonic in Smash and Monster Hunter 3 were really BIG annoucements. And of course because of the TONS of new DS games.

Not so much for the Wii, but this is obvious, because Nintendo has annouced only Q1 and Q2 2008 (not so sure about Q2, but anyway...): Mario Kart Wii, Wii Music, Smash Bros. in particular. These are not small games. For what concern Wii Ware: I'm not interested at all, but it's a subjective thing.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, that's true. Probably it seems that we have had more annoucements because Sonic in Smash and Monster Hunter 3 were really BIG annoucements. And of course because of the TONS of new DS games.

Not so much for the Wii, but this is obvious, because Nintendo has annouced only Q1 and Q2 2008 (not so sure about Q2, but anyway...): Mario Kart Wii, Wii Music, Smash Bros. in particular. These are not small games. For what concern Wii Ware: I'm not interested at all, but it's a subjective thing.

I dont know, Wii Ware has a hell of a lot of potential and I am interested in seeing what they do for it. (and hope they come up with a storage solution soon)

Tristam

OokieSpookie said:
I dont know, Wii Ware has a hell of a lot of potential and I am interested in seeing what they do for it. (and hope they come up with a storage solution soon)

Yes, exactly. Even if I just buy Bomberman and call it a day, it's still silly when you consider how little space is offered relative to the size of many of the games. The current solution is a joke.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ethelred said:
you saying the conference was crap is as much as opinion as him saying it was good. your problem is that you think your opinion is a fact when it isnt, really. if he found the conference good, who gives a fuck? that's his opinion, why do you always try to force your opinions on other people?

I hate that posting style reminds me of a certain someone, just saying.

Tristam said:
Yes, exactly. Even if I just buy Bomberman and call it a day, it's still silly when you consider how little space is offered relative to the size of many of the games. The current solution is a joke.

I think that once they are confident enough that their games will not be easily cracked they will open up the USB ports for external drives.

Error said:
you saying the conference was crap is as much as opinion as him saying it was good. your problem is that you think your opinion is a fact when it isnt, really. if he found the conference good, who gives a fuck? that's his opinion, why do you always try to force your opinions on other people?

I hate that posting style reminds me of a certain someone, just saying.

Um, no, he wasn't saying the conference was crap, he was arguing against ziran saying there were 'loads' of Wii announcements - because, well, there really wasn't. Most of the good announcements were DS centric.

ethelred

Error said:

I didn't say the conference was crap. I thought it was prety good, actually -- I graded it at an 8 (edit: actually, I graded it an 8.25). I thought there were lots of cool things to see. Fire Emblem DS alone was enough megaton to satisfy me.

The only thing I took issue with was saying there were loads of Wii announcements -- because there weren't. That's not an opinion. We can count up the actual announcements from the conference for the Wii. It numbers at around 5 or 6, and only 2 of those (MH3 and Mario Does Baseball) are retail games.

Epiphyte

OokieSpookie said:
I think that once they are confident enough that their games will not be easily cracked they will open up the USB ports for external drives.
Isn't this a bit like stuffing the genie back in the bottle?

Every single game that Nintendo has released on the VC has a corresponding ROM that has been floating around the net for years.

5 million for DQ would put it right at combined Pokemon numbers, that would really be a smashing success. I'm thinking around 4 million is more likely.

Smiles and Cries said:
As for DQIX it needs to sell 10 million copies or this experiment failed in my eyes (IMHO)
Hm, sarcasm? It needs to sell almost three times as much as it's predecessor to not have failed in your humble opinion? OK!

v1cious

Banned
anyone saying these games won't sell is in complete denial. i don't know if you've noticed, but these two games are the main reason people were gonna buy the console in the first place. they will move a ton of units on Final Fantasy alone.

Neomoto

The points talked about in that article seem valid to me, not surprisinly so since it's coming from someone like that. We'll see how it goes, but somehow I don't see DQ IX selling THAT well. Didn't DQ VIII sell 3.5+ million in Japan?

Amir0x

Banned
ziran said:
Pokémon Rancher Wii, total surprise

With the exception of FFCC, which is from Square so likely to be shitty imo, all these games were newly announced and look great! :D

Objection! Pokemon Rancher Wii looks atrocious!

Amir0x said:
Objection! Pokemon Rancher Wii looks atrocious!

It looks horrible graphically, but it is precisely what it sets out to do: be Pokebox Wii. I've had friends bitching and moaning about the lack of boxes in Dia/Pearl, so they can't wait.

Course, they're freaks who spend days breeding and hatch 30-egg clutches of ONE monster to find the "best one"...

Christine

Epiphyte said:
Isn't this a bit like stuffing the genie back in the bottle?

Every single game that Nintendo has released on the VC has a corresponding ROM that has been floating around the net for years.

But they don't play on the Wii. There's all sorts of bottles and some still have the cork in.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
It looks horrible graphically, but it is precisely what it sets out to do: be Pokebox Wii. I've had friends bitching and moaning about the lack of boxes in Dia/Pearl, so they can't wait.

Course, they're freaks who spend days breeding and hatch 30-egg clutches of ONE monster to find the "best one"...

Yeah, I'm sure you-know-who is going to go apeshit over this.

v1cious said:
anyone saying these games won't sell is in complete denial. i don't know if you've noticed, but these two games are the main reason people were gonna buy the console in the first place. they will move a ton of units on Final Fantasy alone.
Didn't pay close attention but I didn't notice anyone saying that these games won't sell.

Anyways numbers from the latest releases from both series in Japan.

FF XII was released on a userbase of around 18 million and managed to sell 2,322,329 units.

MGSIII was released on a userbase of around 15 million and managed to sell 819,807 units.

PS3 is a bit over a million now in Japan. If we optimistically say that they tripple their userbase over the holidays and shortly after, we're looking at around 3 million PS3s during the launch of MGS4. HSG, being PS3's best seller managed to sell 322,140, the last entry in the series on home consoles sold 1,083,079. Now you can't do a speculation solely based on tie-ratio as I think parts of the existing fanbase will buy a PS3 just to play the game. But I think it would be a big success for them to sell 500,000.

As for FFXIII it's hard to judge since we haven't even seen any real gameplay footage and the release is still up in the air but I think 2009 is quite likely. Still it won't release on a similar userbase as the latest PS2 version, not even the most die-hard Sony-fan could argue otherwise. They could still end up coming close to FFXII's numbers if the buzz is there, the quality of the software and the userbase has grown considerably but it's not a given by any stretch of the imagination.

Top Bottom