• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain comments on FFXIII/MGS4 PS3 exclusivity, DQIX sales and expected Wii sales

ziran

Gamefront is reporting an article from Mainichi Newspapers where Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Enterbrain (Famitsu), said there was no guarantee on PS3 exclusivity for Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4, during a speech to journalists in Tokyo.

No surprise really, especially after the Monster Hunter 3 announcement, but I wonder if he knows more than he's saying? I can see 360 versions of both titles happening, and think modified versions for Wii are possible given the system's installed base. Obviously, the more good quality 3rd party support for Wii the better.

He also restated his opinion about DQIX becoming the biggest selling Dragon Quest game in Japan selling 5 million units, and commented on Wii's potential this holiday season with regards to Nintendo's recent conference:

Bloomberg: Nintendo's Wii to Widen Lead Over PS3, Xbox, Enterbrain Says
Oct. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii game console will widen its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during the year-end shopping season in Japan, researcher Enterbrain Inc. said.

The Wii will post the largest sales growth during the holiday season, Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Tokyo-based video-game research firm Enterbrain, told reporters today. He didn't provide specific forecasts.

The Wii has outsold PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 since its Japanese introduction in December on the success of ``Wii Sports'' and the ``Mario'' games. The gains helped Kyoto-based Nintendo's stock more than double since December, compared with an 18 percent increase for Sony shares.

``Nintendo has the most promising business environment,'' Hamamura told reporters in Tokyo. ``The company has shown a good software line-up.''

The world's biggest maker of handheld game players said it plans to sell its 8,800-yen ($75) ``Wii Fit'' title from Dec. 1 in Japan. The package features a board that senses a player's movements, allowing it to be used for activities including yoga and virtual soccer.

Nintendo forecast it will sell 16.5 million Wii consoles in the year ending March, while Sony, the world's largest maker of game players, estimates shipments of 11 million PlayStation 3s in the year.

``Sony may have to wait a bit to see PlayStation 3s become more popular until 2009 or 2010, when high-definition televisions become popular in Japan,'' Hamamura said.

Sony said earlier this week it will cut prices of the PlayStation 3s by as much as 10 percent in Japan to narrow Nintendo's lead. Sony will price two PlayStation models at 5,000 yen ($43) less, with the cheaper version selling for 44,980 yen.
Nintendo has been somewhat slack recently but now having SMG, Wii Fit, SSBB, Wii Music and Mario Kart releasing over the next 6-9 months is a very strong line-up for Japan.

F#A#Oo

Banned
When was the Wii delivering ever in question? :D It was just a matter of when...Nintendo loves to delay shít!

Weisheit

Oct. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii game console will widen its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during the year-end shopping season in Japan, researcher Enterbrain Inc. said.

The Wii will post the largest sales growth during the holiday season, Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Tokyo-based video-game research firm Enterbrain, told reporters today. He didn't provide specific forecasts.

The Wii has outsold PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 since its Japanese introduction in December on the success of ``Wii Sports'' and the ``Mario'' games. The gains helped Kyoto-based Nintendo's stock more than double since December, compared with an 18 percent increase for Sony shares.

``Nintendo has the most promising business environment,'' Hamamura told reporters in Tokyo. ``The company has shown a good software line-up.''

The world's biggest maker of handheld game players said it plans to sell its 8,800-yen ($75) ``Wii Fit'' title from Dec. 1 in Japan. The package features a board that senses a player's movements, allowing it to be used for activities including yoga and virtual soccer.

Nintendo forecast it will sell 16.5 million Wii consoles in the year ending March, while Sony, the world's largest maker of game players, estimates shipments of 11 million PlayStation 3s in the year.

``Sony may have to wait a bit to see PlayStation 3s become more popular until 2009 or 2010, when high-definition televisions become popular in Japan,'' Hamamura said.

Sony said earlier this week it will cut prices of the PlayStation 3s by as much as 10 percent in Japan to narrow Nintendo's lead. Sony will price two PlayStation models at 5,000 yen ($43) less, with the cheaper version selling for 44,980 yen.
What?

ziran

Fina1e said:
Thank you for making another MGS4 exclusivity thread.
Thankfully the entire gaming world does revolve around MGS, like the title of this thread and the comments within. The most relevant piece imo is how the Japanese press, i.e. Famitsu, viewed the Nintendo conference, which hasn't been posted as far as I'm aware.

Hirokazu Hamamura is a big name as far the Japanese market is concerned and it's clear he thought Nintendo delivered a great line-up of system selling games, which I agree with.

Also, in case you hadn't noticed the entire Japanese market is fucked for 3rd parties on home systems, check the MC threads, they need solutions. Hamamura is only stating what might need to happen for these franchises to survive.

Another sony am doomed post...

MGS4 and FFXIII are being developed exclusively for PS3, and they are in a very advanced development stage, so this CAN'T change. After their releases, konami and square are free to port the games to X360 (Since Wii can't handle them). And nobody could complain, since multiplataformity wouldn't had fucked the development in any manner.

Besides I don't know how can multiplataformity in both titles help square and konami in japan, since Wii can't handle them and X360 is dead there. In the US and Europe they would sell tons of discs, but in japan it makes no sense making multiplatfrom FFXIII and MGS4...

ziran said:
Also, in case you hadn't noticed the entire Japanese market is fucked for 3rd parties on home systems, check the MC threads, they need solutions. Hamamura is only stating what needs to happen for these franchises to survive.

Wow so now MGS and FF are going to die if they stay PS3 only? You learn something new everyday.

Fina1e

Both of the articles aren't even from the same website. Did you physically go to each one to find news on exclusivity, just to bring that bullshit in here?

Busty

Banned
Ziran said:
No surprise really, especially after the Monster Hunter 3 announcement, but I wonder if he knows more than he's saying?

He doesn't.

Ziran said:
I can see 360 versions of both titles happening

They won't.

Fina1e said:
Thank you for making another MGS4 exclusivity thread.

One more and I can claim a free sandwich from Subway.

wazoo

I will play MGS4 on ps3 this spring. What happen after I do not care. The more players can play it, the more chance we get a sequel. Same for FFXIII.

Aeris130

I thought Japan had a fairly high adoption-rate as far as HD TVs go?

Haunted

Sony may have to wait a bit to see PlayStation 3s become more popular until 2009 or 2010, when high-definition televisions become popular in Japan,'' Hamamura said.
I thought HDTV adoption in Japan was pretty high already?

heh.

Lobster

Banned
We should all come to the realisation that MGS4 will be Ps3 exclusive..Sony will no way let that game slip out of its fingers.

ziran

SolidSnakex said:
Wow so now MGS and FF are going to die if they stay PS3 only? You learn something new everyday.
No, maybe I wasn't clear.

No company with any intention of continuing to exist invests substantially more in developing a title for it to sell less than the previous version, which is what companies are doing by sticking with PS3 at the moment, which is obvious. Even selling the same amounts isn't what they're after, they want growth, and the shareholders demand it.

When a developer takes a game for a system which isn't selling well and has poor sw sales, like PS3, and makes it multiplatform, or moves it to another system entirely, it's a purely business decision and if PS3 continues to sell the way it is expect more of this to happen.

From these comments I think the feeling in the industry is Sony simply isn't doing enough to sell its hardware in the face of relentless competition, which is something I agree with. Sony needs to do far more than they are.

Fina1e said:
Both of the articles aren't even from the same website. Did you physically go to each one to find news on exclusivity, just to bring that bullshit in here?
Try reading.

They're all comments from Enterbrain president Hirokazu Hamamura, likely from the same speech.

Weisheit said:
Sony is still the biggest manufacturer of home systems when you combine PS2 and PS3 vs. Wii. Something like 20+ million vs 16.5 million for this fiscal year.

Lobster said:
We should all come to the realisation that MGS4 will be Ps3 exclusive..Sony will no way let that game slip out of its fingers.
I agree. But if it doesn't sell enough it will be going to other systems.

Linkhero1

F#A#Oo said:
When was the Wii delivering ever in question? :D It was just a matter of when...Nintendo loves to delay shít!
Yeah they do. When they delayed Twilight Princess one billion times it pissed me off. =P

Busty

Banned
Lobster said:

I agree totally. Despite everyone involved saying it's an iron clad exclusive people will talk.

I think in the aftermath of the EA/Bioware buyout and the possibility that the Mass Effect sequel could potentially be ported to every format under the sun I think we'll see alot more threads questioning MGS4 and FF XIII status as PS3 exclusives.

You know, just to maintain the 'balance'....

ziran said:
From these comments I think the feeling in the industry is Sony simply isn't doing enough to sell its hardware in the face of relentless competition, which is something I agree with. Sony needs to do far more than they are.

This is what the pricecuts are for. They're obviously trying. Anyone that brings up "But what about software" doesn't seem to understand that it does take time to make said software. They (and other developers) can't do port ups for the PS3 or else they're going to get looked down on. So they'd doing what they can to push the system.

As far as the whole exclusive nonsense goes. The ending to the FFXIII trailer went from "For PS3" to "For PS3 Only" at the recent TGS. It's not that difficult to figure out what happened there.

Enterbrain president Hirokazu Hamamura talks like a Wii fanboy I don't like this news, I want facts, megaton of facts not guessing. If he knew something he should have said it :(

wazoo

I fail to understand if he wants ports to Wii or X360.

I also fail to see the attraction of (a dumbed down) MGS4 to the Wii crowd

Weisheit said:
So you don't think he was speaking in the present tense?
Did they stop selling PS2? No. Is there still game support for PS2? Yes.
They make PSP, PS2 and PS3. That's a lot of game machine making.

Lobster

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It might not make it, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's a big part of the series. Kojima even admits that.

wazoo stated as if its the main attraction of the series though, which it is not.

wazoo

Lobster said:
Because graphics don't make a MGS game.

I was not talking about the graphics. I was wondering how MGS fit in the "expanded market" Nintendo is so proud. The downgrade remark was just an addition.

Lobster

Banned
wazoo said:
I was not talking about the graphics. I was wondering how MGS fit in the "expanded market" Nintendo is so proud. The downgrade remark was just an addition.

Well then you should know that your comment wasn't very intelligent.

wazoo

Lobster said:
Well then you should know that your comment wasn't very intelligent.

so you have no answer except sarcasm.

I have no problem with MGS4 being ported to X360. I have yet to see evidence of a large enough portion of the Wii sports crowd being attracted to MGS style games to justify the port.

Like Ziran told, editors have to adapt not port old style games in Japan.

1z3nnfo.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:lol @ the paranoid PS3 fans. This topic is about predictions by Enterbrain, the topic creator didn't put words in his mouth, he just posted what Enterbrain's president said.

Thanks for posting Ziran. 5 millions for DQ IX is really a LOT ! I wonder if it isn't a little bit optimistic...

jj984jj said:
:lol @ the paranoid PS3 fans. This topic is about predictions by Enterbrain, the topic creator didn't put words in his mouth, he just posted what Enterbrain's president said.

Agreed. :lol

mepaco

wazoo said:

The market expanded to include the new segment but it still includes the old segment as well. You are kidding yourself if you think that all the people buying up Wiis are casuals.

DarkJC

jj984jj said:

And honestly, did we really need yet another discussion about this based on what someone thinks will happen? No, we really don't.

The only time this discussion should come up is if someone official at Square or Konami says something that affects the exclusivity status of said games. Because if anyone else has doubts, I think we can all agree those angles have been discussed to death.

DarkJC said:
And honestly, did we really need yet another discussion about this based on what someone thinks will happen? No, we really don't.

The only time this discussion should come up is if someone official at Square or Konami says something that affects the exclusivity status of said games. Because if anyone else has doubts, I think we can all agree those angles have been discussed to death.

Enterbrain maybe is not as Konami or Square-Enix, but sure is a a lot better then your post.

Quazar

jj984jj said:

It's serious business.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/20071012mog00m200059000c.html

That's the original.

What the Enterbrain dude is saying is that Metal Gear Solid 4 and FFXIII are not guaranteed to continue being exclusive.

Of course, this should be obvious, since they're third party games and Sony doesn't own them.

He's not saying anything new about the exclusivity of those two games. They're exclusive only if Konami and Square Enix want to keep them exclusive. Which, as we saw with Monster Hunter 3, may not necessarily be the case even if a game is announced as a PS3 title.

Someone else has already said it best. MGS4 and FFXIII are in advanced stages of development. This isn't like Monster Hunter where we hadn't seen a single thing publicly. The very best 360-only fans can hope for is a port of either game later on down the line IMO.

To whoever mentioned Portable Ops... I would actually love to see a MG spin off on Wii. I could see Konami exploiting the pointer, motion control, even the speaker etc rather well. Imagine the codec bleep coming from your remote... controlling a nikita in mid air with remote. Sneaking about and firing in first person, shaking down enemies you've disarmed, throwing grenades, taking control of a vehicle... It could all be done pretty nicely.

Top Bottom