• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain: Wii reaches 6m sales mark in Japan

batbeg

1 in 3 Wii owners has Wii Fit? Wow!

For some reason I'd thought Wii would've already passed 6 million Japan. Maybe it's just because I expect unrealistic, ridiculously huge numbers from their products these days.

farnham

Banned
Wii and DS need some boost.. the PSP is the hottest hardware in Japan right now... If you look at the software thats puzzling...

They need some game that boosts the Wii and the DS not maintains it to the current level..

Culex

Banned
So, what is the next milestone for the Wii to pass? The SNES? I'm curious as to how much that sold in Japan.

Lobster

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
In Japan:

NES: 19,200,000
SNES: 17,150,000
N64: 5,540,000
GC: 3,600,000

Aww..

if only Japan bought the Wii as fast as Europe and America..

We'd have something interesting going on.

Culex

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
In Japan:

NES: 19,200,000
SNES: 17,150,000
N64: 5,540,000
GC: 4,040,000

Ouch, well, I don't believe the Wii will be hitting SNES numbers in its lifetime. It may reach 15 million, though.

Google translation here:

Wii: 1 less than a half-year domestic sales of 6 million Wii fit and 200 million bottles, double barrier breakthrough

Nintendo's video game machine "Wii" domestic sales to exceed 600 million units, software-only "Wii fit," sold more than 200 million copies of it on May 13, a leading game magazine Enterbrain police know Hoops.

Wii is released in December 1906
, during the same year, about 100 million units sold. At one time, except that the monthly sales pace of 250,000 units or more to maintain, Wii fit released in December 1907, sold more than 75 million units and extending their major.

Fit Wii launched in December 1907. Incorporating a pressure sensor on board and get off balance the body's center of gravity by measuring the "balance of age" to calculate and more than 40 mini-games to move one's body healthy game. More than 200 million copies sold "Wii Sports" "My first Wii" Nintendo's strategy following items as the sales of attention.

ENTERBRAIN the 3500 National Games with the cooperation of specialty shops, game machines and software sales data, such as a weekly summary, the announcement said. Hiroshi Shigeru Kawamura []

o_O

Cryect

Culex said:
Ouch, well, I don't believe the Wii will be hitting SNES numbers in its lifetime. It may reach 15 million, though.

Its just going to stop selling at some point you are thinking or something?

Vinci

Danish
Cryect said:

From what I've heard on GAF, it stopped selling January of this year.

Right?

I mean, it had to stop selling after that.

This generation is going to be known as the 'Generation of High Hopes,' including everyone suggesting -- repeatedly -- when the Wii would finally stop kicking everything else's ass.

joedick

farnham said:
Wii and DS need some boost.. the PSP is the hottest hardware in Japan right now... If you look at the software thats puzzling...

They need some game that boosts the Wii and the DS not maintains it to the current level..

PSP is still riding a high in Japan from the release of Monster Hunter. Plus, DS may have hit its breaking point. I think everyone in that country must have two of em by now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
joedick said:
Plus, DS may have hit its breaking point.

If the DS past its breaking point is doing better than the PS2 at its peak, the DS is going to be historic for a long time to come.

Pellham

Banned
Tons of people are buying PSPs. Nobody is buying PSP software other than Monster Hunter though. :lol (It should be obvious as to why)

The DS already outsold the PS2 in Japan, it can get a little slack in sales. And a downhill slide for the DS might entice Nintendo to release its successor sooner anyway, so it's a win-win situation.

Pellham said:
The DS already outsold the PS2 in Japan, it can get a little slack in sales. And a downhill slide for the DS might entice Nintendo to release its successor sooner anyway, so it's a win-win situation.

Nothing about this idea is "win," much less "win-win."

Gaborn

Pellham said:

Without a price drop? without more colors? It... just... doesn't... make... sense. Though I agree that the DS can be forgiven for being outsold recently by the PSP. It still has, what, a 13 million unit lead over it in Japan?

kswiston

We don't need any new handhelds for AT LEAST two years. The DS and PSP are only 3.5 years old. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't cut the DS's life short like they did the GBA and GBC.

How much have PSP & PS2 & PS1 sold in Japan? Just curious.

edit: Wonder what will happen if Monter Hunter 3 for Wii hits..:lol Shit!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Where was the PS2 this time in it's life in Japan? I believe the Wii has beaten that, yes?

MisterHero

Culex said:
The Famicom/Super Famicom were being sold in Japan for almost two decades, versus Wii in its first 1.5 years. There's a chance I'd say. :p

MidiSurf

Banned
farnham said:

Well Dragon Quest 9 should do the trick for DS. But I don't see anything for Wii, I mean even Brawl couldn't boos Wii sales so what can ?

donny2112

legend166 said:
Does the balance board have a larger installed base than the PS3 yet?

Not yet, according to Media-Create.

PS3vsWiiBo_MC.png

Difference: 48,533

Probably a couple of more weeks.

Philthy

Cryect said:

By the end of the year no one will be alive in Japan. They're too busy committing suicide with draino.

Sucks for Nintendo.

Evlar

Banned
Philthy said:
By the end of the year no one will be alive in Japan. They're too busy committing suicide with draino.

Sucks for Nintendo.
I knew 'Suicide Training DS' was a bad idea.

Jammy

Banned
Those are some big numbers. Nintendo really struck gold with the Wii there, and their software has been selling the best it has been in well over a decade. Let's hope this translates into more games.

Vinci

Danish
Evlar said:
I knew 'Suicide Training DS' was a bad idea.

Christ, that would sell so well over there. And there'd always be another generation yearning for further lessons on how to do it.

Sick as hell, but something that would be highly profitable.

Terrell

Culex said:
Ummm... PS2 outsold SNES AND the NES, and Wii has been constantly trending ABOVE PS2 sales... so unless you think "Wii is a fad" and will drop in interest, you're greatly underestimating the situation.

Linkup

Nah Suicide Training DS wouldn't actually train you to commit suicide just give a lone man the idea to kill himself. A man trying to kill himself using a game called "Suicide Training DS" or something. Incredible Crisis with a twist. Perhaps at the end the game could tell you to jump off a cliff. Now that I think about it that would kill word of mouth so it would be front loaded.

Gaborn

Vilix said:
Where was the PS2 this time in it's life in Japan? I believe the Wii has beaten that, yes?

According to JoshuaJSlone's data (which I believe is actually a couple of weeks out of date, but still...) the Wii has around a 20 week lead on the PS2 at this point in it's life cycle.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinci said:
Christ, that would sell so well over there. And there'd always be another generation yearning for further lessons on how to do it.

Sick as hell, but something that would be highly profitable.
But no one would buy the sequel.

ivysaur12 said:
Great.

Now only if the software sold as well as the hardware in Japan.
Oh but it does, Wii already has 6 confirmed million sellers, 2 of which are already over 2 million (WiiFit will be over 2 million in next week's numbers as well). SMG is also at around 900k units sold.

Take Dalthien's thread for instance (not up to date) and you'll see that Wii does indeed move a lot of software units.

Third parties don't profit a lot but basically they only have the DS (and PS2, though it's dying) at this point as the go-to guy.

FoxhoundNL said:
How much have PSP & PS2 & PS1 sold in Japan? Just curious.

edit: Wonder what will happen if Monter Hunter 3 for Wii hits..:lol Shit!
I'm not expecting much. It will be P2P 99% and Japanese gamers don't seem to be that interested. How did Final Fantasy Online do for PS2 and XBOX/360? Phantasy Star for GC?

The wildcard here though is that it's on the Wii. But I'm keeping my expectations low= for now.

Top Bottom