• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic finally did it!

Hinedorf

Banned
Epic finally did it! By "it" I mean they finally have a game on their store I simply have to have. Ancestors releases next Tuesday and I feel like I really need to play this game.

I've said for quite awhile Epic needs to give me a reason, Ancestors feels like a reason. The alternative is to wait until December for console. For the first time Epic has actually put me on the fence. Anybody else feeling this way or felt this way about a game on Epic yet?

mcz117chief

Well, I have the signed collector's edition of Phoenix Point which is releasing, unfortunately, on Epic store. But I think I will still wait half a year to play it on Steam rather than support those crooks.

edit: Oh yeah, one more thing that really brought my piss to a boil. The backer builds for Phoenix Point were first distributed as simple zips (or something) which you could unpack and play but after Tim Sweeney reared his stacks of money even THOSE FUCKING BACKER BUILDS BECAME EPIC STORE EXCLUSIVE! WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Last edited:

Kazza

Epic finally did it! By "it" I mean they finally have a game on their store I simply have to have. Ancestors releases next Tuesday and I feel like I really need to play this game.

I've said for quite awhile Epic needs to give me a reason, Ancestors feels like a reason. The alternative is to wait until December for console. For the first time Epic has actually put me on the fence. Anybody else feeling this way or felt this way about a game on Epic yet?

Just play the games you want to play and have fun, man. That's why we're all here after all. Console wars were already dumb, but PC shopfront wars have to be dumbest thing yet. It would be a crying shame to miss out on something you love over such a silly thing.

//DEVIL//

Nah man, every time Epic snags a game I really want, I just grow more determined to hate their guts.
Not to you specific. but i do feel sorry for people who just don't want to get an X game because of a console or a launcher .

i mean ... lol. what a way to think of stuff. At least consoles cost money, so I might be able to swallow why some want to invest in one console. But another free store that is under the very same PC and has all the other games you own all the sudden is a problem ? okay.

from Epic alone i got like 15 free games thanks to them. I Also got Heavy Rain , Detroit and Beyond thanks to them as well.

I will also be able to enjoy Control and Shenmue 3 in the best possible way... or i could leave all that because i dont want my games anywhere but steam or GOG... steam that ditched its fans by not making games anymore and focus on their stor only.. and not only that but also lack on motive to even release the new UI they showed or promised for years. its how lazy they got . Talk about Valve turning to a greedy with their % cut from games and lazy AF.

at least Epic is giving them competition to do shit and not just get free money. and somehow some people don't want that .. eh

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Not to you specific. but i do feel sorry for people who just don't want to get an X game because of a console or a launcher .

i mean ... lol. what a way to think of stuff. At least consoles cost money, so I might be able to swallow why some want to invest in one console. But another free store that is under the very same PC and has all the other games you own all the sudden is a problem ? okay.

from Epic alone i got like 15 free games thanks to them. I Also got Heavy Rain , Detroit and Beyond thanks to them as well.

I will also be able to enjoy Control and Shenmue 3 in the best possible way... or i could leave all that because i dont want my games anywhere but steam or GOG... steam that ditched its fans by not making games anymore and focus on their story only.. and not only wait its been years since they promised their new UI.

at least Epic is giving them competition to do shit and not just get free money. and somehow some people don't want that .. eh
I don't like bullies.

//DEVIL//

I don't like bullies.
I do understand where you coming from but at the same time I am not following. Bullies because they are buying exclusives ? at this rate you must hate every other company in the world then. Because Nintendo, Sony and MS did it and they still doing it . This is how business works one way or another. If you want them to act like GOG do, they will never take off. Just like how GOG is barley taking off and still nothing compared to steam.

Steam is dominating the PC market and to be honest this is not healthy. Yes i do appreciate how because of them the PC market came back to life after it was mostly console only (Which is why i have more than 190 games on Steam). but to me at least Valve back then when they were focusing on improving their launcher and making games isnt the same as the greedy Valve right now .

if you notice, they didn't even take any action with all those games stripped away from them. they just don't care. it's like to me at least, they lost their creative touch with the gamers and just turned to this mean corporate company that cares about nothing.

its nice to see someone like Epic trying to make a dent in that to wake up them. at the end of the day i am still playing my games under my PC. regardless on what platform. i have Origin, Battle net. GOG. Steam. another one will not make a difference.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

.....Oh. I thought they finally added a shopping cart.

Dunki

I do understand where you coming from but at the same time I am not following. Bullies because they are buying exclusives ? at this rate you must hate every other company in the world then. because nintendo, Sony and MS did it and they still doing it . this is how business works one way or another. if you want them to act like GOG do, they will never take off. just like how GOG is barly taking off and still nothing compared to steam.

Steam is dominating the PC market and to be honest this is not healthy. Yes i appreciate how because of them the PC market came back to life after it was mostly console only. but to me at least Valve back then when they were focusing on improving their launcher and making games isnt the same as the greedy Valve right now .

if you notice, they didn't even take any action with all those games stripped away from them. they just don't care. it's like to me at least, they lost their creative touch with the gamers and just turned to this mean corporate company that cares about nothing.

its nice to see someone like Epic trying to make a dent in that to wake up them. at the end of the day i am still playing my games under my PC. regardless on what platform. i have Origin, Battle net. GOG. Steam. another one will not make a difference.
Epic does not care about developers or other platforms. Just recently they wanted the game Darq from Unfold games exclusive for their store. They said they loved it and want it. The developer kindly did refuse because the Kickstarter also promised Steam Keys so he could not do it. But he wanted the game on all stores. Epic then refused the game on their store saying they can not afford to put it on their store if its not exclusive.

All they want is to remove Steam. There is no other reason anymore.

And yes no matter what will be exclusive I will not buy ANYTHING from their store. Or any game that does makes these deals with Epic.

according to the roadmap in 6 Months. Oh and do not buy to many games at once because you will get banned. (No joke)

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Epic does not care about developers or other platforms. Just recently they wanted the game Darq from Unfold games exclusive for their store. They said they loved it and want it. The developer kindly did refuse because the Kickstarter also promised Steam Keys so he could not do it. But he wanted the game on all stores. Epic then refused the game on their store saying they can not afford to put it on their store if its not exclusive.

All they want is to remove Steam. There is no other reason anymore.

And yes no matter what will be exclusive I will not buy ANYTHING from their store. Or any game that does makes these deals with Epic.

according to the roadmap in 6 Months. Oh and do not buy to many games at once because you will get banned. (No joke)
I don’t see anything wrong with epic wanting it’s store to be unique and have games no other does . I mean, it’s the reason why someone would want to buy your console or get into a new eco system. For its unique items . Why release the game on epic when everyone will buy it on steam ? Right now they are at the stage where they want to show off . Free games , exclusive games . Amazing discounts etc .

And no one is removing steam anywhere . That behemoth isn’t going anywhere don’t worry

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

Imagine someone in 2019 saying that digital store should have shopping cart.
Should digital store also have queues ? What is the point of shopping cart when everything is available to you with infinite quantities ?

Ragnaroz

Steam is dominating the PC market and to be honest this is not healthy. Yes i do appreciate how because of them the PC market came back to life after it was mostly console only (Which is why i have more than 190 games on Steam). but to me at least Valve back then when they were focusing on improving their launcher and making games isnt the same as the greedy Valve right now .
How is it not healthy? PC was the best it was historically before EGS showed up.

Graciaus

Should digital store also have queues ? What is the point of shopping cart when everything is available to you with infinite quantities ?
Probably because you'd need to do single transactions for everything you want to buy. Then they'd auto flag you for a ban if you bought to many things which has happened.

You've never bought multiple things ever in your life anywhere? Now imagine you had to do each by itself. Annoying and pointless. I'm sure that sounded better in your head.

//DEVIL//

How is it not healthy? PC was the best it was historically before EGS showed up.

First of all epic is also on pc . I assume mean steam ?

It’s for the Same reason why some developers made their own launcher like Activision and EA . Valve cut is too high . Many developers still don’t release a PC port of their games because they don’t want to lose that much to Valve just for hosting

I mean even Sony just published a game on epic and not steam recently .

I have been also hearing that if it’s not for epic we wouldn’t have Detroit and the rest of QD games on pc but not sure about it .

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Bullies because they are buying exclusives?
No, because they bribe developers to switch platforms at the last minute, no other company does that. That would be like if The Last of Us 2 one week before release suddenly became xbox exclusive. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo have exclusives because they provide the funds necessary for the game's development. A completely different situation from someone coming to a finished product, showing money down their throat and saying "you are now ours".

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Oh please, that is not the same thing. Try buying on the eShop without cart and on Xbox LIVE or PSN with a cart... day you want to buy three games... no wait, it is clearly better to go through the full checkout process providing my password and confirming my payment details three times and each time going back to the root of the store to find the next item than that much worse process of tapping on the cart icon for three games as I see them and then doing a single checkout step... :rolleyes:.

Seriously, defending not having a cart concept in a store and then mocking it by comparing it to now needing virtual queues to mimic the physical experiences sounds so disingenuous... jokes is also on you with non infinite server capacity you have longer delays as traffic increases beyond a certain threshold... so yeah, they have queues already :p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, because they bribe developers to switch platforms at the last minute, no other company does that. That would be like if The Last of Us 2 one week before release suddenly became xbox exclusive. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo have exclusives because they provide the funds necessary for the game's development. A completely different situation from someone coming to a finished product, showing money down their throat and saying "you are now ours".
More than that, my beef with Epic is being refused access to the store unless you sign an exclusivity deal with them or you are too big and they cannot afford you not being there. That is shitty.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

More than that, my beef with Epic is refusing access to the store unless you sign the exclusivity dea with them or you are too big and they cannot afford you not being there. That is shitty.
The whole thing is shitty and Tim "PC should be open with no middlemen" Sweeny is at the top of the shit pyramid.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Oh please, that is not the same thing. Try buying on the eShop without cart and on Xbox LIVE or PSN with a cart... day you want to buy three games... no wait, it is clearly better to go through the full checkout process providing my password and confirming my payment details three times and each time going back to the root of the store to find the next item than that much worse process of tapping on the cart icon for three games as I see them and then doing a single checkout step... :rolleyes:.

Imagine someone in 2019 doesn't get the concept of digital store shopping carts. Holy fuck, that would be on another level of stupid...

Probably because you'd need to do single transactions for everything you want to buy. Then they'd auto flag you for a ban if you bought to many things which has happened.

You've never bought multiple things ever in your life anywhere? Now imagine you had to do each by itself. Annoying and pointless. I'm sure that sounded better in your head.

I don't know on what planet you or time but in 2019 most of digital stores allow you to buy stuff with 1 click if you have saved information about your CC with bill to your email.
Even without 1 click option it is usually just one screen away where you need just to confirm.

You all sound like buying stuff digitally is murderous process.
God help you if you will go to real shop and have to wait in queue.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't know on what planet you or time but in 2019 most of digital stores allow you to buy stuff with 1 click if you have saved information about your CC with bill to your email.
Even without 1 click option it is usually just one screen away where you need just to confirm.

Try the eShop and tell me how you like it.
Digital shopping carts remove friction from purchasing multiple pieces of software and are not at odds with also having a 1 click purchase option... why do you think Amazon has both? Because they serve different purposes, that is why.

Instead of white knighting Epic on this particular issue, ask yourself why lack of cart is not the defacto position and why even Epic is adding one in a few months?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Enjoy getting banned by Epic by buying too many games at once. And I am pretty sure everyone you quoted knows how shops work in real life.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

That is a bit not correct though. no one is shoving ( or showing as you typed it ) money down the developers throat. if you want to blame someone, then blame the developers for not having faith in their game to do well on steam and accepting money from Epic. Some developers already rejected epic proposal, so its a 2 way street here.

Epic as a company is full of cash and wants to get exclusives to their store right now and not fund a game and wait 2 years for it to come out ( maybe they are right now doing it without us knowing who knows ) . But they want their store with exclusive games and this is to be honest this i how they would or any company would do it. otherwise it will take them years and they will just end up the underdog like GOG is . GOG isn't even close to steam because they did the approach of just releasing multi platform games with no exclusives in it.

All companies signs exclusives. the difference is Epic wants to make its store with exclusives games right now to be different. I am sure when there is enough user base, there will be multi platform games on it and not just exclusives.

Enjoy getting banned by Epic by buying too many games at once. And I am pretty sure everyone you quoted knows how shops work in real life.

If i remember correctly it was some sort of an error from their part and it was fixed. don't try to hang on anything negative just to make them look bad lol

Anyway as with any new launcher, it still needs some developments. there are lots of stuff still lacking . and I would probably assume they are fixing step by step .

( Not quoting you right now, speaking in general ), I think people who are refusing to get epic are just gonna be in a losing battle. Epic will do nothing but grow in userbase which is a common sense with all these new deals they are getting.

Epic is determined to get this to work. and the way its going, only stubborn gamers who refuse to get epic are the one losing all these free weekly games plus whatever exclusives they have right now

Last edited:

mcz117chief

if you want to blame somone
You wrote "somone", hurr hurr. How about checking your own spelling before you bash other people for it? And it isn't the developers most of the time but the publishers who take the money and fly off into the sunset. And if you don't see how steeling games from other platforms isn't wrong and if you don't see any difference between announcing an exclusive and stealing it for yourself two minutes before release then there is nothing to discuss here.

edit: also, you missed an apostrophe in "down the developers throat".

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You wrote "somone", hurr hurr. How about checking your own spelling before you bash other people for it? And it isn't the developers most of the time but the publishers who take the money and fly off into the sunset. And if you don't see how steeling games from other platforms isn't wrong and if you don't see any difference between announcing an exclusive and stealing it for yourself two minutes before release then there is nothing to discuss here.

edit: also, you missed an apostrophe in "developers".
I am sorry. i didn't mean to correct your spelling mistake. i genuinely thought maybe you really wanted to type showing .

Sorry mate my English isn't my first language.

Now to the point, I am pretty sure in Epic case, since 80% of their exclusives are indie games. its the developers that are accepting the money . there are no publishers here ( outside of big stuff like Ubisoft games on epic etc )

and No, from a business standpoint and from a gamer standpoint. I do not friggin care where the game is . Steam, Epic, Origin or GOG. if its a game I want and i can still play it on my platform of choice which is the PC in this case, then I do not care what sort of deal went behind to get this game on specific launcher. since that launcher by it self is free.

Maybe I am also pissed at Valve for acting like they are levitating above of the rest of us gamers and the world by not even communicating ? maybe I am happy that publishers and developers makes money money of each game is sold on epic store since more revenue to them means more games in the future ? 30% is too much for Valve to take imo ?

I don't know. maybe I like competition since if Epic keeps doing this then maybe Valve will wake up and move its lazy ass and get something big and exclusive ? how does that not excite me as a gamer?

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

If I read comments that users reinstall or upgrade Windows 10 wasting hours in order for Windows Store to work, this is a perfectly valid reason

//DEVIL//

I do and I will not support people who make a living off of "stealing" games.
I would like to say more power to you mate. You and all the other gamers like you. if it makes you feel better then good for you mate.

personally , i have like 15 free games thanks to them. will not complain lol.

T-Cake

For me, it would be Borderlands 3. But I'm willing to throw money at Gearbox and get it on PS4 Pro then rebuy it when it comes to Steam as a GotY edition in a year or two.

You really will never give up an argument, no matter how wrong you are.

Generic

I will also be able to enjoy Control and Shenmue 3 in the best possible way... or i could leave all that because i dont want my games anywhere but steam or GOG... steam that ditched its fans by not making games anymore and focus on their stor only.. and not only that but also lack on motive to even release the new UI they showed or promised for years. its how lazy they got . Talk about Valve turning to a greedy with their % cut from games and lazy AF.

There's a lot of prejudice towards Epic because Fortnite is the most popular game of the moment. But if you look at the response of Sony buying Insomniac, it's mostly positive (at least on NeoGAF) and that includes people suggesting Sony should buy more and bigger studios to get more exclusives.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There's a lot of prejudice towards Epic because Fortnite is the most popular game of the moment. But if you look at the response of Sony buying Insomniac, it's mostly positive (at least on NeoGAF) and that includes people suggesting Sony should buy more and bigger studios to get more exclusives.
Buying a studio which then means paying for the staff and everything that has to do with their game making is quite a different thing to swooping in and paying games almost ready for release, therefor with little risk as they can evaluate their potential, just to cancel their Steam plans.

And yeah some of them come out with PR about how the deal lets them do it that much better but it tends to be pretty obvious damage control bullshit and the games when out resemble exactly what they were even if they got a delay (possibly to develop features Steam offers built-in).

Nobody says Fortnite/Unreal/Paragon/Whatever shouldn't be exclusive to the Epic Store either, duh. Just as Valve's own games being exclusive to Steam is only natural, but any other game makes the choice to be or not be elsewhere without Steam paying them a bonus for either choice.

So yeah there are Steam exclusives here and there, but the difference is they're exclusive based on what the platform offers to the developer and the users, in short its quality, versus Epic paying a developer to ignore its objective inferiority in pretty much every way (and to pimp it on top).

Nobody judges Epic Store based on prejudice, just by what it offers compared to the competition. Which is nothing outside some Fortnite money lottery reserved for specific lucky games which contrary to Epic paid PR does nothing for the industry or indies or anyone outside those few.

What's with all the disingenuous comparisons in this thread, lol. Well, every Epic thread.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

A new client would be perfectly okay, but one that tries to strongarm me into joining their userbase by snatching the games I want isn't ever getting my money. There are other ways to play those games without supporting that bullshit.

There hasn’t been anything I’ve wanted off there. Hell I’ve even had store credit for years. BL3 is full of drama and I don’t want to buy that. Odd world is MAYBE the only thing I may buy on the store. Hell I don’t think I’ve even launched any of the free games.

JCK75

Unreal Tournament 2004 is one of my favorite games of all time, I have viewed Epic favorably until they made a decision to shit on PC game pretty much go all in on Xbox for a decade or so.
I played and was excited about Fortnite when PUBG did not exist and it had not ripped it off yet.
Now over the years of using UE4 on my own game project and tinkering with the new Unreal they let die like assholes... I've been a victim of how shitty their platform is on more than one occasion (leak after leak after leak.. people actually hacked Epic to get access to free accounts!)
I liked Fortnite before it became a PUBG clone, but I do hate what it's become and I don't much care for it, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyones feelings towards EGS.
When they announced they were making a games store platform I'm completely fine with it, I just don't want to rush onto it due to the past experiences of how insecure of a platform it had been...
Instead of taking their time making a secure platform which all of the features one would want, they used that money to buy up exclusives and force us to use a shitty product.

That's the extend of our Ire, there is nothing deeper going on than that it's a horrible thing for the consumers in the industry and we are not the types to just allow someone to throw money to force us in their direction instead of actually earning our business and letting us CHOOSE.

brian0057

Banned
That's great!
I mean, they could make System Shock 3 exclusive and I still wouldn't use the Epic Store.
Either way, good for you, man.

Teslerum

I'm looking forward to it as well, but I can wait a few months for the console release.

Shifty

Nope. I either play it on a non-Epic platform, or wait for the exclusivity to expire.

Since voting with your wallet is still the only truly effective voice consumers have on the matter, I won't have my money put in the "encourage Epic to fuck up the PC market" pot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom