• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Store Face Lift

MMaRsu

Banned
Posts like this prove that the argument that EGS is bad because it 'lacks features' is false and in reality Steam fans just feel threatened by another big launcher.

I'm not a "Steam fan"

I'm a fan of keeping the PC an open platform, something Tim 'hypocrite' Sweeney was rallying for years ago, before he and China decided they wanted a piece of that sweet digital games Pie.

Buying out developers to keep their games OFF other platforms is not something that should be supported in the PC market.

But feel free to make snap judgements.

Dontero

Banned
I'm a fan of keeping the PC an open platform, something Tim 'hypocrite' Sweeney was rallying for years ago, before he and China decided they wanted a piece of that sweet digital games Pie. Buying out developers to keep their games OFF other platforms is not something that should be supported in the PC market.

You are such big fan of PC being open platform that when actual competition to Steam monopoly shows up you are butthurt that they actually fight for userbase in normal capitalistic ways.

If it were for me i would love 200000 other different stores with each store trying to out deal other stores. Because only this way me, gamer will have low price goods and best services.

Unfortunutelly communism is disease that attacks brain and makes people think differently from normal. Or worse you assume that short therm profit is more important than long therm profit.

MMaRsu MMaRsu Do you not like Steam then? Steam is DRM. Hardly open. Or what's your definition of open?

His definition of open is having all games on all stores. Probably at the same price too, with same promotions following same sales patterns so that each platform can be equal in how they screw their customers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu MMaRsu Do you not like Steam then? Steam is DRM. Hardly open. Or what's your definition of open?

Steam is not DRM. It's a store and feature-rich distribution platform for games. It also offers DRM options for publishers, but they are just that: optional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrap

You are such big fan of PC being open platform that when actual competition to Steam monopoly shows up you are butthurt that they actually fight for userbase in normal capitalistic ways.

If it were for me i would love 200000 other different stores with each store trying to out deal other stores. Because only this way me, gamer will have low price goods and best services.

Unfortunutelly communism is disease that attacks brain and makes people think differently from normal. Or worse you assume that short therm profit is more important than long therm profit.
Did you even think that through? People are hating on EGS because of their dodgy exclusivity deals. You can't try out different stores, that's the whole point. They are using monopoly tactics. Everything you are against.

Where does EGS get all these defenders from? Sweeney is a liar, Epic uses underhanded tactics to force people to use their store and the store itself still lacks a bunch of basic features.

Generic

I'm not a "Steam fan"

I'm a fan of keeping the PC an open platform, something Tim 'hypocrite' Sweeney was rallying for years ago, before he and China decided they wanted a piece of that sweet digital games Pie.

Buying out developers to keep their games OFF other platforms is not something that should be supported in the PC market.

But feel free to make snap judgements.
Half of PC games are Steam exclusives, but EGS having a dozen of exclusives is bad because "Epic paid for them".

Ok.

Generic

Steam is not DRM. It's a store and feature-rich distribution platform for games. It also offers DRM options for publishers, but they are just that: optional.
Yes DRM is an option on Steam. Which means most publishers use it.

Last edited:

CuNi

His definition of open is having all games on all stores. Probably at the same price too, with same promotions following same sales patterns so that each platform can be equal in how they screw their customers.

My definition of open would be that I can go and buy any game on whatever storefront I like.
For me it would mean that a game is available on EGS, Steam, GOG, Origin, uPlay etc and they can even have different prices.
That way, If I would want to support the developer, I could buy it on EGS or GOG, if I would want to keep all my games in one place, it would be Steam. Is it a co-op game and maybe I have more friends on Origin or uPlay? Buy it there then!
THAT is open market. If someone comes in, buys out exclusivity for XYZ Games and people then talk like EGS is any better than steam, then I think we should call this bullshit out, because what you say is nonsense.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Half of PC games are Steam exclusives, but EGS having a dozen of exclusives is bad because "Epic paid for them".

Ok.

Really? Half of PC games exist only as versions with Steamworks built in? I doubt you can back that one up, because it's bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

johntown

Banned
Oh gosh here we go again with all the EGS apologist here. STEAM IS NOT A MONOPOLY. Look up the definition of words before you post them.

The only issue "most" ppl take with EGS is their scummy money hatting of games. Work hard like normal people and make a store that ppl actually want to come to. Don't do shady tactics that alienate the ppl you want to come to your store. Stop trying to make consumers feel guilty of companies not paying developers what they should. Do that for a start and maybe ppl wouldn't hate EGS so much.

EDIT: New features are a good start but I won't even consider supporting them unless they stop buying exclusivity to games I want.

Last edited:

Dane

The issue for me is that Epic made last minute exclusives with games that were meant to be released on steam, I don't care about games that were announced from the start that they were going to be EGS exclusives.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It took this long for someone to notice and post it? Lol. I guess even all the trolls spouting uninformed bs about monopolies and competition and what Steam actually is don't really use it after all. Makes sense.

Last edited:

Alexios

NAH! you gotta be kidding me , wasnt it supposed to be fixed before Borderlands 3 Launch?
I meant the storefront update wasn't noticed by anybody, it's been on for like a full day, haha. Edited my post. But yeah the store was meant to be updated during the summer too. How people shilled for EGS when it was a single dumping ground of a page while putting Steam down for its continued efforts to alleviate visibility issues in an industry with so many damn games releasing (rather than just decide to sell a handful and claim that's all the good there is to find out there while paying off the media to nod in agreement, lmao) is beyond me. But anyway. Moving on :)

Last edited:

SweetShark

Good for them. I am glad I would be able read reviews of games which Steam or GOG don't have in their stores.
Curious to see what reviews Afterparty will get.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't game on PC anymore, but for all the people saying Steam is better.... well it's been around for about 15 years.

Can any long time Steam user tell the forum what it was like in 2004?

zeorhymer

Sure. It was the worst idea ever. All your games in one place. What if the company folded, how can you get your games? No internet connection, you can't launch it? My info can be hacked and credit card information is vulnerable. I can't let my friend's borrow my CDs.

I don't game on PC anymore, but for all the people saying Steam is better.... well it's been around for about 15 years.

Oh come on, that's just stupid. That's like starting a car company, releasing a shitty car and then justifying it by saying that Ford's first car back in 1903 had issues too. If you're releasing a product in 2019, then you' should expect to be judged by today's standards, not those of 15 years ago.

Alexios

Oh come on, that's just stupid. That's like starting a car company, releasing a shitty car and then justifying it by saying that Ford's first car back in 1903 had issues too. If you're releasing a product in 2019, then you' should expect to be judged by today's standards, not those of 15 years ago.
Maybe this guy who doesn't game on PC any more would be happy if a new company unveiled their PS5 and Xbox Two or even Switch competitor and it was basically a 3DO or a Jaguar in capabilities (or a DS if portable).

Because hey, they don't have the luxury of 30 years of 3D gaming evolution (it's not like they have access to all the same modern day knowledge, tech and workers, crazy!) but they will give developers/publishers a bigger cut so it should totally win the next generation.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe this guy who doesn't game on PC any more would be happy if a new company unveiled their PS5 and Xbox Two competitor and it was basically a 3DO or a Jaguar in capabilities because hey it's new and they give developers a bigger cut than Sony and Microsoft so it wins the generation!
In other words it took time for Steam to pick up steam (so to speak).

Nothing becomes great instantly.

In other words, Steam was a piece of crap when it launched.

I've never seen the early versions of Steam, so I had to Google it to see how great it is.

All you Steam lovers who think other launchers are crap, when Steam looked like this in 2004? And for 2004, this is even shit compared to the average website back then. My niece in high school can make a better looking site in Wordpress in one evening.

fvxH57CxVjqdaMj5mUXpAh.png

It took until 2010 (7 years after launch) where the site actually looked somewhat decent.
e63egsXLoJLxXyyqWKWgCQ-650-80.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Repeating the same thing again without actually responding to things said doesn't make it a good argument, lol. This isn't 2003. EGS isn't pioneering anything never seen before. There are tons of far-newer-than-Steam services that have a lot more features than EGS because it's 2019, not 2003.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Repeating the same thing again without actually responding to things said doesn't make it a good argument, lol. This isn't 2003. EGS isn't pioneering anything never seen before.
You don't need to be a pioneer to have a product. Pretty sure every car can get you from point a to point b, yet there's tons of different companies, brands, and models. And just about every one of them makes profit.

You Steam users are shortchanging yourself into this one-company-only mantra. And it doesn't even make sense, since PC is supposed to be about freedom from walled gardens.

Competition is good.

As for the excuse of..... "well, I only want to use one game launcher". Who cares. Every other program on your PC has it's own launch icon, so why not games?

Last edited:

Alexios

You don't need to be a pioneer to have a product. Pretty sure every car can get you from point a to point b, yet there's tons of different companies, brands, and models. And just about every one of them makes profit.

You Steam users are shortchanging yourself into this one-company-only mantra. And it doesn't even make sense, since PC is supposed to be about freedom from walled gardens.

Competition is good.

As for the excuse of..... "well, I only want to use one game launcher". Who cares. Every other program on your PC has it's own launch icon, so why not games?
This isn't even part of the same conversation, you're not responding to anything just being all over the place.

Who said competition is bad?

There are tons of better services than EGS, not just Steam. There are also some equally bad like the Bethesda launcher but I didn't see you all up in arms about it when people trashed that because hey, the media that spoonfeed you happened to agree, Bethesda didn't moneyhat them over it.

If they want to offer competition they need to step up their game is all people are saying and somehow you fanboys-who-dont-play-on-PC take offense and make it all about Steam and how it too wasn't up to 2019 standards in 2003 and how we should all use it anyway because it's competition.

Lol.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This isn't even part of the same conversation. Who said competition is bad? There are tons of better services than EGS, if they want to offer competition they need to step up their game is all people are saying and somehow you fanboys-who-dont-play-on-PC take offense and make it all about Steam and how it too wasn't up to 2019 standards in 2003.
EGS has been out for 10 months. What do you expect? 200 million users and 20,000 games like Steam in less than one year?

One thing's for sure, EGS has done more in 10 months than Steam did for years when it started. And EGS website looks much better too, whereas Steam in the first 7 years looks like a site someone created in Geocities in 1999.

In fact, looking at both of the websites now, they look virtually identical.

There is no doubt, EGS has done much better than Steam did in its first year.

RedVIper

Banned

Ok.

They're steam exclusives because the developers want them to be, Steam doesn't force developers out of steam if they want publish somewhere else.

Alexios

Yes, and they also have a digital distribution platform, while in 1983 nobody had that, so it seems EGS is doing better than every other company did in 1983. Damn they're good! GG.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes, and they also have a digital distribution platform, while in 1983 nobody had that, so it seems EGS is doing better than every other company did in 1983. Damn they're good! GG.
Don't worry man. You and I are just different shoppers.

I like to check different stores for variety, even if it means me driving to different parking lots and buying things online too.

You are more of the department store guy who buys everything in one store at all costs, so relating to gaming, you prefer that style of gaming even though all it takes is double clicking another launcher in 0.5 seconds to play other games.

Alexios

Don't worry man. You and I are just different shoppers.

I like to check different stores for variety, even if it means me driving to different parking lots and buying things online too.

You are more of the department store guy who buys everything in one store at all costs, so relating to gaming, you prefer that style of gaming even though all it takes is double clicking another launcher in 0.5 seconds to play other games.
Where did you come up with that? Once again, it's like you're not even taking part in the conversation you initiated.

You already said you don't even play on PC so you don't actually use any of these stores, never mind pretend you're the more open minded consumer without even knowing anything about my own spending habits.

You even clearly showed you know nothing beyond having done a 5 minute google search into the history of whatever because hey, that's how long it takes to get up to speed, but EGS is excused for being newer because we still have the same tools and resources as we did in 2003.

But that's all EGS shills and random online trolls do, straw man arguments and ad hominem galore. There are 6 different clients actively running on my PC and none of them is EGS because they all have their own merits rather than be a (lesser) Steam copy as you just called the EGS site.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Still garbage

Still mad.

A complete shit hot mess that introduced always online DRM for Source. Steam was absolute garbage for years, not sure kids here have been on it long enough to remember.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where did you come up with that? Once again, it's like you're not even taking part in the conversation you initiated.

You already said you don't even play on PC so you don't actually use any of these stores, never mind pretend you're the more open minded consumer without even knowing anything about my own spending habits and taking 5 minutes to google the shit you're attempting to discuss.

But that's all EGS shills and random online trolls do, straw man arguments and ad hominem galore. There are 7 different clients actively running on my PC and one of them are EGS because they all have their own merits rather than be a lesser Steam copy as you just called the EGS site.
Sure it's related.

Some people seem to rag on EGS, and as Ive said, EGS is new (10 months old), and let's compare that to Steam in it's early years (which were junk).

Competition is good, and like every launcher out there, give it a chance to grow. If it sucks in 3 or 4 years like they aren't progressing, then fine.

In Steam's first 4 years (started in 2003), it couldn't even break 100 games (as per pie chart above from Wiki) and the website looked like ass.

Top Bottom