• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Achievements Are Launching Next Week

Gamezone

Gold Member
We’re excited to announce the initial rollout of the Epic Achievements system is on its way, including a set of tools for developers to activate platform Achievements quickly and easily. That means that starting next week, you can begin collecting XP by earning Epic Achievements in select games.

martino

SphericalSizzlingJerboa-size_restricted.gif

Shubh_C63

Ubisoft also has their own achievement system which nets you Store points to buy cosmetics for free, pretty neat.
but does anybody even use those ?

Also, people expected Epic Store to become just as robust as Steam overnight at launch. It will get there, probably in 10 years.

Steam don't really give a shit about them unlike Xbox & PSN. I'm wondering if Epic have noticed if the PC folks actually give a crap about them or not?
PC isn't a closed ecosystem and the marketplace is way too fragmented, so most PC gamers don't really care about achievements.
There is absolutely zero community on the EGS, so who are you gonna show your shiny achievements anyway?

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Steam don't really give a shit about them unlike Xbox & PSN. I'm wondering if Epic have noticed if the PC folks actually give a crap about them or not?
Steam Cheevos were great in the first left 4 dead or orange box, they popped up with a sound, they had progress Cheevos, shit was legit good. Then, they just died. They are so whack now.

Also, best Cheevos go to dragon age origins. That shit was awesome how they just popped up midscreen with sound and effects

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
This won’t sway me to play games on their launcher but good to see them arrive finally. Their cheevo system looks like a carbon copy of the PlayStation trophies system.

I can't believe they managed to implement a full achievement system before adding a shopping cart.

It has to be intentional. I wonder what the reasoning behind it is. Are they trying to get people used to buying and lower their mental resistance to making additional purchases by making them go through the checkout process as often as possible?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I can't believe they managed to implement a full achievement system before adding a shopping cart.

It has to be intentional. I wonder what the reasoning behind it is. Are they trying to get people used to buying and lower their mental resistance to making additional purchases by making them go through the checkout process as often as possible?

Didn't the average EGS user spend less than a dollar? Not sure if they need one right now.

Kenpachii

Ubisoft also has their own achievement system which nets you Store points to buy cosmetics for free, pretty neat.
but does anybody even use those ?

Also, people expected Epic Store to become just as robust as Steam overnight at launch. It will get there, probably in 10 years.

Even gives you discounts on there games.

JCK75

I've been a gamer my entire life but I just do not understand the appeal of achievements..
I consider them something that pops up and annoys me while I'm just trying to play a game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm assuming these will be server-side validated? Surely.

That's where Steam's system really falls down on it's face.

TrueLegend

I will be buying from there then. I use GOG so I buy where I get fair price. My biggest gripe with steam is that even after buying so many games I am not even level 10 on steam because you need to buy trading cards. Not only they locked XP but they also locked profile customization behind that level. I have bought showcases from point shop but I cant use them because my steam level is low. Yeah nah fuck that. You can have your mtx market steam but forcing people to particiate in it was dick move. I am glad epic is going playstation route. Finally I can earn platinum trophies on PC. Honestly wish i had made epic account earlier. I wasted money buying games on steam that they give away. Now if only I could buy Elden Ring from there.

Didn't the average EGS user spend less than a dollar? Not sure if they need one right now.
Well, yeah. But that's because 99% of users aren't spending anything at all.

Their entire plan obviously hinges on turning a significant number of these people into paying customers, so making it harder to spend money for both them and the people who are already willing to buy games there makes no sense.

Corndog

Banned
PC isn't a closed ecosystem and the marketplace is way too fragmented, so most PC gamers don't really care about achievements.
There is absolutely zero community on the EGS, so who are you gonna show your shiny achievements anyway?
Steam sucked when it came out. Just give it time. If it’s good it will succeed.

Fahdis

Some care, some don't. It's nice to have options innit? Personally, I use it as a completionist diary, so I don't need to go back to a game ever, unless I love it to death.

I've been a gamer my entire life but I just do not understand the appeal of achievements..
I consider them something that pops up and annoys me while I'm just trying to play a game.

So turn them off. It's not for you. Imagine complaining about getting annoyed of a small jpeg file popping up that you can turn off at any point.

As for my fellow achievement/platinum hunters. You can sign up for completionist.me or get Gog Galaxy 2.0 and amalgamate your achievements in 1 place for all your platforms. I swear Gog Galaxy is a GOD SEND!

Last edited:
It's good knowing I started gaming before achievements were a thing or even came to be. I still enjoy video games without paying attention to them.

Last edited:
Anyone know if it's as easy to unlock all achievements with a program like on Steam with Steamachievement manager or if they have "secured" the system?

JCK75

Some care, some don't. It's nice to have options innit? Personally, I use it as a completionist diary, so I don't need to go back to a game ever, unless I love it to death.

So turn them off. It's not for you. Imagine complaining about getting annoyed of a small jpeg file popping up that you can turn off at any point.

As for my fellow achievement/platinum hunters. You can sign up for completionist.me or get Gog Galaxy 2.0 and amalgamate your achievements in 1 place for all your platforms. I swear Gog Galaxy is a GOD SEND!

I'm not really complaining only commenting that I don't get it as a feature anyone cares about..

I have a large EGS friends list due to Fortnite. It’s not EGS’s fault that no one likes you.

Man, I'm sure your fake Fortnite friends will go completely bonkers about your Kena completionist badge...
F*cking hell, that's the saddest crap I've read this week. Try getting some real friends instead.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I'm not really complaining only commenting that I don't get it as a feature anyone cares about..

To say people don't care about it is an understatement. There are huge communities based around these digital trinkets.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone know if it's as easy to unlock all achievements with a program like on Steam with Steamachievement manager or if they have "secured" the system?
We won't really know until it's live. Fingers crossed that none of this is client-side (like Steam is) which will make it much more difficult to track. The downside of doing it that way though, is that you would have to be online to earn achievements.

WitchHunter

Banned
We’re excited to announce the initial rollout of the Epic Achievements system is on its way, including a set of tools for developers to activate platform Achievements quickly and easily. That means that starting next week, you can begin collecting XP by earning Epic Achievements in select games.

Casuals gonna love it. How many xp per 1 USD?

JCK75

To say people don't care about it is an understatement. There are huge communities based around these digital trinkets.
You're still misunderstanding what I'm saying, I never said no one cared only saying I don't understand why they do.

Live footage of the EGS development team:

ATWT.gif

Well I don’t really have a problem with Epic in general but they sure are slooow.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
We won't really know until it's live. Fingers crossed that none of this is client-side (like Steam is) which will make it much more difficult to track. The downside of doing it that way though, is that you would have to be online to earn achievements.

Actually it’s possible to cheat. I asked Sergiy on Twitter about this months ago, and he replied.

Top Bottom