• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic games JP Rep: Switch getting "lots" of UE4 titles. Upcoming and released ports

bomblord1

Banned
Surprised I didn't see a thread on this did a search and nothing came up.

The following comes from Takayuki Kawasaki, territory manager for Epic Games Japan...
- Switch does indeed support Unreal Engine
- a lot of titles coming that are using Unreal Engine technology on Switch
- this includes releases of already announced major titles and new games
- Takayuki is hoping the Japanese console business picks up more steam from Switch’s arrival
- Dragon Quest XI will be using Unreal Engine 4

This basically confirms switch is getting the PS4 version of DQXI right? It's good to know that apparently "a lot" of games are coming that should mean a large number of 3rd party developers are onboard.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271193-epic-games-rep-says-a-lot-of-unreal-engine-4-games-coming-to-sw

Hype me further if old

Edit: Rep not CEO

Oregano

Title is a bit misleading. He's the manager of Epic Japan, not the CEO.

We've been discussing this in the Switch thread.

Tekken 7 is probably one of the games he refers to.

This is gonna be great if 3rd parties continue support after launch. My question is how well will they run when undocked. Wasn't the switch already roughly half the flops of the ps4 though?

But damn two players is gonna be hot when taking that around. Still hyped.

Alexious

Surprised I didn't see a thread on this did a search and nothing came up.

This basically confirms switch is getting the PS4 version of DQXI right? It's good to know that apparently "a lot" of games are coming that should mean a large number of 3rd party developers are onboard.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271193-epic-games-rep-says-a-lot-of-unreal-engine-4-games-coming-to-sw

Hype me further if old

We already knew that Switch supports UE4 and Dragon Quest XI uses it.
The rest is interesting, though UE4 supports even mobile hardware so it can downscale pretty well. It's not that surprising to learn that many developers will port their games to the Switch.

Trago

Big japanese games using UE4 coming to Switch wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Tekken 7 comes to mind.

Oregano

New news, new threads.

Wasn't complaining, although I was hoping we'd see a more thorough translation before it was posted. Especially considering the original interview has a ton of non-Switch stuff in there too which might be of interest.

bomblord1

Banned
Title is a bit misleading. He's the manager of Epic Japan, not the CEO.

We've been discussing this in the Switch thread.

Tekken 7 is probably one of the games he refers to.

Yup that was my bad could a mod change the title to say rep if the see this?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Big japanese games using UE4 coming to Switch wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Tekken 7 comes to mind.

It depends on whether or not they can be downscaled to such a degree but yeah.

DQ11 is clearly going to run the PS4 version downgraded. T7 could probably run at 720p or sub HD ect.

Of course as sebbbi on B3D said, if the specs we have are correct, the needed compromises to these games based on the hardware differential will probably make or break whether or not a lot of them get ported from other platforms.

Hopefully a lot of in house Nintendo devs start using UE4 personally as well.

Oregano

DQ11 is clearly going to run the PS4 version downgraded. T7 could probably run at 720p or sub HD ect.

Of course as sebbbi on B3D said, if the specs we have are correct, the needed compromises to these games based on the hardware differential will probably make or break whether or not a lot of them get ported from other platforms.

Hopefully a lot of in house Nintendo devs start using UE4 personally.

Next Level Games is using Unreal Engine 4.

Also a list of Japanese developers unreal engines(quoting myself):
Shenmue 3 is part funded by Sony, it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

We compiled a list of Japanese UE4 games earlier in the thread.

FFVIIR
KH2.8
KH3
DQXI
Tekken 7
MVC: Infinite
Let it Die
Bloodstained

4 Goddesses Online
Ace Combat 7

The bolded are the most likely to release on Switch IMO. I really wouldn't expect KH or FFVII.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Guy selling engine hypes that lots of games using his company's engine will be on Switch.

No ulterior motives here, at all.

Oregano

Guy selling engine hypes that lots of games using his company's engine will be on Switch.

Well he specifically says some already announced Unreal Engine 4 games are coming to Switch. It would be easy to check him on his BS if he was fibbing.

Trago

If this thing takes off in Japan, none of that will matter. Japanese publishers will bring those games to the platform, shitty port or not.

foltzie1

This is correct, but it's a better response than the laughing that preceded those questions the Wii U launch.

jackdoe

If this thing takes off in Japan, none of that will matter. Japanese publishers will bring those games to the platform, shitty port or not.
Shit, some of the recent crappy Vita ports that they deemed "acceptable" should be proof enough of this.

Oersted

We have heard exclusively good things when it comes to porting to Switch.

What next, #4thePlayers was just a marketing campaign?

Seriously, what kind of ulterior motives do you expect?

Neoxon

Perhaps some of Nintendo's external studios or devs who work closely with Nintendo (like Next Level Games) may use UE4, but I'd expect in-house Nintendo to stick with their own in-house engines. If I recall, there was mention of Nintendo possibly reusing the Breath of the Wild engine for future games (or at least the physics engine).

Inuhanyou

True, but that's a big if. With switch, the budgets will get bigger and PS4's support in japan by devs largely also was hinged on the global market, something that is not assured success with the Switch, despite the presumed success of Switch in Japan due to being the successor of the Wii U and the 3DS(regardless of what Nintendo wants to claim about that not being the case)

I really don't see the point for them. They have better engines suited to their needs internally.
It's also not the perfect engine.

Its better at drawing in modern effects than any current Nintendo engine. Monolith in particular i hope starts using it as opposed to their current engine.

Oregano

True, but that's a big if. With switch, the budgets will get bigger and PS4's support in japan by devs largely also was hinged on the global market, something that is not assured success with the Switch, despite the presumed success of Switch in Japan due to being the successor of the Wii U and the 3DS(regardless of what Nintendo wants to claim about that not being the case)

If Switch bombs in Japan then Japanese developers have bigger issues to worry about... like whether or not they'll be around in 5-10 years.

Trago

It's honestly hard to be so sure about. None of us know how this kind of concept will do in the different territories. I guess the portable aspect of the Switch will be a bigger deal to the Japanese market, but again, Nintendo are positioning this as a home console.

It's a potential mess.

To the fools who thought it was going to be some uprezzed 3DS port.

It's still a relief to me, phew...

Seeing as that was probably our best shot of getting the 3DS version localised, I'm not sure why you'd celebrate it. Fat chance Square Enix or even Nintendo will care one bit about the 3DS by 2018.

LordKano

Seeing as that was probably our best shot of getting the 3DS version localised, I'm not sure why you'd celebrate it. Fat chance Square Enix or even Nintendo will care one bit about the 3DS by 2018.

Because I wanted to play the UE4 version on the Switch. I don't want to play a 3DS version on an other console than the 3DS, it wouldn't have made sense.

We don't know the specs. Even Emily Roger's said all the specs in that thread (which were literally the default Tegra X1 specs) were only 90% accurate, Eurogamer said a number of Pascal features were incorporated, and we still know nothing about customizations made

Oersted

They are porting to Vita, which is surroundingly dead outside Japan.

TDLink

As long as Capcom, Namco, and Square support the system with all of their stuff (and they are all using UE4 a lot now), the system will have great third party support.

Inuhanyou

If Switch bombs in Japan then Japanese developers have bigger issues to worry about... like whether or not they'll be around in 5-10 years.

That's true, but we're at that point before the Switch with PS4 the only general bastion for core gaming in japan, and PC outreach for the global market seems to be the general conclusion for now.

Switch will just provide a nice cozy back up for these titles, that i hope comes around, but i am not so convinced it will be a smooth transition

Oregano

That's true, but we're at that point before the Switch with PS4 the only general bastion for core gaming in japan, and PC outreach for the global market seems to be the general conclusion for now.

Switch will just provide a nice cozy back up for these titles, that i hope comes around, but i am not so convinced it will be a smooth transition

That's not remotely true. Most third party releases are on Vita as well as PS4 right now and there's a little something called the 3DS which most publishers are currently earning quite a bit on.

To the fools who thought it was going to be some uprezzed 3DS port.

It's still a relief to me, phew...

This is actually a quote from Nintendo Everything and not the Epic Manager:

On a somewhat related note, Dragon Quest XI will be using Unreal Engine 4. After Square Enix announced that back in Summer 2015, there was an uptick in usage of Unreal Engine by Japanese-type titles. Perhaps we’ll be seeing some of these games on Switch in the future.

Inuhanyou

That's not remotely true. Most third party releases are on Vita as well as PS4 right now and there's a little something called the 3DS which most publishers are currently earning quite a bit on.

I'm talking about games actually aiming at the core gaming market on PS4. Not 3DS or vita games.

We don't know the specs. Even Emily Roger's said all the specs in that thread (which were literally the default Tegra X1 specs) were only 90% accurate, Eurogamer said a number of Pascal features were incorporated, and we still know nothing about customizations made

90% correct is basically accurate. And Pascal architectural features only go so far. ES/D RAM can maybe be assured, but fitting that inside a handheld with a low power output would be a big challenge.

They are porting to Vita, which is surroundingly dead outside Japan.

More like vita games are being ported to PS4 with additional effects. Toukiden 2 is the only game that is actually trying to take PS4, PS3 AND Vita into account, and even there, Vita is being stretched to its absolute limits.

Oregano

I'm talking about games actually aiming at the core gaming market on PS4. Not 3DS or vita games.

90% correct is basically accurate. And Pascal architectural features only go so far. ES/D RAM can maybe be assured, but fitting that inside a handheld with a low power output would be a big challenge.

More like vita games are being ported to PS4 with additional effects. Toukiden 2 is the only game that is actually trying to take PS4, PS3 AND Vita into account, and even there, Vita is being stretched to its absolute limits.

You might want to take a look at how PS4 games are actually selling in Japan. For extra lols go look at the sales breakdown for Toukiden 2.

A scenario where Switch bombs, 3DS and Vita are out of the picture and PS4 doesn't go through a miraculous explosion of popularity is basically the end of the line for Japanese console devs unless you're working on a handful of franchises.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Things are heating up, now both Nvidia and Epic are all "Yup. Ports are totally happening"

Inuhanyou

You might want to take a look at how PS4 games are actually selling in Japan. For extra lols go look at the sales breakdown for Toukiden 2.

A scenario where Switch bombs, 3DS and Vita are out of the picture and PS4 doesn't go through a miraculous explosion of popularity is basically the end of the line for Japanese console devs unless you're working on a handful of franchises.

What about Persona 5 or FF15? P5 highest selling Atlus game ever, and FF15 getting clsoe to FF13's initial sales target in Japan with 1.1 million, taking into account the much stronger FF brand and console marketshare in Japan 6 years ago.

Sure you can construct a false narrative about how PS4 games don't sell, but it doesn't make it any more correct.

But that's not my point. Switch succeeding is necessary for console growth and development, but no one is saying otherwise.

Your posts seem to be saying that if Switch bombs, the core gaming market in Japan is finished. Not really if your referencing handheld gaming titles only. It just means there is only one avenue for sales, and more likelihood of failure for developers.

Ogodei

This is correct, but it's a better response than the laughing that preceded those questions the Wii U launch.

Yup. Same with the responses from other third parties then vs now. "Lolno" was a pretty forthright and common response back in late 2011-2012.

Top Bottom