• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic games JP Rep: Switch getting "lots" of UE4 titles. Upcoming and released ports

antonz

Japanese Developers embracing UE4 so heavily instead of custom engines etc. has been a huge boost to the Switch potential. Pretty much guarantees Japanese support will be stronger than the usual because no need for special engines or any garbage.

13ruce

Banned
Thats good news to hear, i quite like the look of unreal engine 4 games. Good to see the Switch supports that.

LordKano

Oregano

What about Persona 5 or FF15? P5 highest selling Atlus game ever, and FF15 getting clsoe to FF13's initial sales target in Japan with 1.1 million, taking into account the much stronger FF brand and console marketshare in Japan 6 years ago.

Sure you can construct a false narrative about how PS4 games don't sell, but it doesn't make it any more correct.

But that's not my point. Switch succeeding is necessary for console growth and development, but no one is saying otherwise.

Your posts seem to be saying that if Switch bombs, the core gaming market in Japan is finished. Not really if your referencing handheld gaming titles only. It just means there is only one avenue for sales, and more likelihood of failure for developers.

WTF are you talking about? FFXIII sold 1.9 million. FFXV is the lowest selling non-MMO release in about 25 years. It's going to barely hit a million copies sold.

Persona 5 is one of the few exceptions. Pretty much everything has seen a decline and no franchise has successfully transitioned from Vita to PS4.

Kouriozan

I'm ready for : Kingdom Heart 3.55 Collection For Nintendo Fans That Didn't Own Another Console.
Anyway the handheld market don't have a lot of choice as to where to go.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Inuhanyou, do you remember what your point is? Because I don't.

You and others responded to me first.

My original point was that while i'm glad UE4 seems to be taking off on Switch, it depends on whether or not devs feel it right to release games based on the hardware differential that will determine whether or not switch gets a lot of ported games made with the engine, which should be obvious to anyone.

My post was in response to the assumption that Switch will be getting most games just because it supports the engine as well as any other modern architecture. Not the case. Hardware will still be taken into account, and i am more on the cynical side of whether or not Nintendo's gamble will pay off for their hardware, regardless of how excited i am to get the Switch myself.

I'm just glad they have gone back to a unified normal control scheme.

WTF are you talking about? FFXIII sold 1.9 million. FFXV is the lowest selling non-MMO release in about 25 years. It's going to barely hit a million copies sold.

Persona 5 is one of the few exceptions. Pretty much everything has seen a decline and no franchise has successfully transitioned from Vita to PS4.

It sold 1.3 million in the same point in time in japan at this period. and it has already sold 1.1 million if Zhuge is to be believed

I wonder if the Switch will even be marketed as a console in Japan... lol

If the dock is mandatory, people would complain about the dock being necessary

Oersted

My original point was that while i'm glad UE4 seems to be taking off on Switch, it depends on whether or not devs feel it right to release games based on the hardware differential that will determine whether or not switch gets a lot of ported games made with the engine, which should be obvious to anyone.

My post was in response to the assumption that Switch will be getting most games just because it supports the engine as well as any other modern architecture. Not the case. Hardware will still be taken into account.

*Reads OP*

Epic games Rep: Switch getting "lots" of UE4 titles.

The following comes from Takayuki Kawasaki, territory manager for Epic Games Japan...
- Switch does indeed support Unreal Engine
- a lot of titles coming that are using Unreal Engine technology on Switch
- this includes releases of already announced major titles and new games

Ok

Oregano

My post was in response to the assumption that Switch will be getting most games just because it supports the engine as well as any other modern architecture. Not the case. Hardware will still be taken into account, and i am more on the cynical side of whether or not Nintendo's gamble will pay off for their hardware, regardless of how excited i am to get the Switch myself.

I'm just glad they have gone back to a unified normal control scheme.

It sold 1.3 million in the same point in time in japan at this period. and it has already sold 1.1 million if Zhuge is to be believed

If the dock is mandatory, people would complain about the dock being necessary

FFXIII sold 1.3 million first week and that 1.1 million figure for FFXV is shipped. It hasn't sold that much yet. FFXIII launched midway through December 2009 and in the first week of 2010 it was at 1.8 million. Try again.

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong. FFXIII sold 1.5 million first week.

Inuhanyou

*Reads OP*

Ok

Lots =/= 'most games'

There will be ports like DQ11 and others as a matter of course, but it does not guarantee total support, which should inject an element of cation into celebrations.

Trago

Lots =/= 'most games'

There will be ports like DQ11 and others as a matter of course, but it does not guarantee total support, which should inject an element of cation into celebrations.

Of course it doesn't. I think the main argument here is that, in terms of Japanese development, a game coming to the Switch or not will be for business related reasons, not technical related reasons.

Inuhanyou

FFXIII sold 1.3 million first week and that 1.1 million figure for FFXV is shipped. It hasn't sold that much yet. FFXIII launched midway through December 2009 and in the first week of 2010 it was at 1.8 million. Try again.

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong. FFXIII sold 1.5 million first week.

It seems like your getting angry over nothing in particular, i'm not competing with you in an argument with numbers, you win.

My posts to you are trying to convey that you should not be opposed to the idea that the PS4 can sell plenty of games with proper marketing when push comes to shove and is currently what the Japanese industry is banking on for core gaming.

Nobody is disputing that Switch can help, but that will not be as simple as believed in the transitory period. Nintendo will have to be the one to make sure these devs have proper incentive despite the challenges of trying to compress their games onto the Switch

Of course it doesn't. I think the main argument here is that, in terms of Japanese development, a game coming to the Switch or not will be for business related reasons, not technical related reasons.

My view is that it will be both. The hardware differential will play a part just like the business side of things. There is no reason why that would not be the case.

Oregano

It seems like your getting angry over nothing in particular, i'm not competing with you in an argument with numbers, you win.

My posts to you are trying to convey that you should not be opposed to the idea that the PS4 can sell plenty of games with proper marketing when push comes to shove and is currently what the Japanese industry is banking on for core gaming.

Nobody is disputing that Switch can help, but that will not be as simple as believed in the transitory period. Nintendo will have to be the one to make sure these devs have proper incentive despite the challenges of trying to compress their games onto the Switch

My view is that it will be both. The hardware differential will play a part just like the business side of things. There is no reason why that would not be the case.

I'm not angry but I am being flippant. But I'm going to do that when you makes arguments that can't be backed up with facts. You named two examples of good selling PS4 games, one of which is a massive decline from its predecessor.

You could have easily said MGS5 and Dark Souls 3, which remained stable, but that wouldn't really make up for stuff like Musou, Atelier, Tales or Yakuza which are all declining or all those former Vita franchises which have so far been met with declines when trying to move their audiences to Vita EDIT: PS4.

Don't worry I'm sure someone will point out that PS4 software sales are so far outpacing and everything is fine.

Trago

I'd agree with you if Vita ports of typical console games weren't a thing over there. And considering the leap in power from the Vita to the Switch, I think that if a Japanese publisher really wanted to, they would port whatever game to the Switch, even if there are many visual compromises. Now, of course, this is assuming that the Switch is a huge success in Japan. And due to Nintendo's messaging so far, I'm not too sure if things will take off. Hence, why I think it's up to the publishers feeling it's worth it rather than technical limitations.

18-Volt

Potential Japanese titles to use UE4:

- Yokai Watch 4: Night Oni's are Scarier than ever edition
- Etrian Odyssey 6: The Knights of Realistic Trees and Leaves
- Story of Seasons: Friends of Lifelike Town

On serious note, I don't think he's talking about Japanese projects only, there is not much other than Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom. Hell, there aren't that many western games that use UE4.

Oersted

Lots =/= 'most games'

As soon as someone confuses the two, I will point them towards your post

Unprecedented partnership
Unprecedented effort?

Nintendo killed your funny bone, didn't it?

I'd agree with you if Vita ports of typical console games weren't a thing over there. And considering the leap in power from the Vita to the Switch, I think that if a Japanese publisher really wanted to, they would port whatever game to the Switch, even if there are many visual compromises. Now, of course, this is assuming that the Switch is a huge success in Japan. And due to Nintendo's messaging so far, I'm not too sure if things will take off. Hence, why I think it's up to the publishers feeling it's worth it rather than technical limitations.

Porting from Vita to Switch might result in visual downgrades? I am missreading things, right?

KingBroly

Banned

On serious note, I don't think he's talking about Japanese projects only, there is not much other than Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom. Hell, there aren't that many western games that use UE4.

I think every Japanese Square game is running on UE4 because they're terrible at engine making. FF15 was like the last vestige of their in-house engines.

Ridley327

Most of Squenix's games are on UE4 now, aren't they? KH3, DQXI, FFVIIr and (as unlikely as it is) Nier Automata are using it. Capcom has also been transitioning towards it, with SF5 running on it.

TDLink

Other than Tekken and Marvel, Square's entire lineup basically is on UE4. Including DQ11 (Already confirmed), KH3, Nier Automata, and FF7 Remake.

Oregano

As soon as someone confuses the two, I will point them towards your post

Nintendo killed your funny bone, didn't it?

Porting from Vita to Switch might result in visual downgrades? I am missreading things, right?

I think he means that publishers are currently porting from PS4 to Vita so they'll port to Switch even if it means downgrades and those downgrades won't be as severe.

Trago

I think he means that publishers are currently porting from PS4 to Vita so they'll port to Switch even if it means downgrades and those downgrades won't be as severe.

Correct, and again, that's assuming Switch takes off in Japan, which is anyone's guess.

MacTag

Banned

PS4 can sell games in Japan yes. FFXV is a terrible example of that though, and actually makes a more compelling argument for the reverse position. And the reality is that while games can sell well on PS4 in Japan, for the most part they just haven't. Even Persona 5 managed series record sales by also being on PS3, PS4 couldn't carry it to that level alone.

This actually provides a good argument for PS4/Switch multiplat development for Japanese game makers, Switch can help cover local sales in much the same way winding down platforms like Vita and PS3 used to. Long term we'll see where that leads but there's also a danger here for Sony given it looks like PS4 can't really support Japanese releases alone and the other potentially viable multiplat target is now outside their ecosystem.

Inuhanyou

Again, most(like almost all) of those games are vita games brought up to PS4 or PC graphical level, not the other way around.

That implies a super extreme level of compression of game assets, when that isn't really the case.

Its significantly harder to make a PS4 game run on vita than develop a vita game and simply run it at FHD with some graphical enhancements like Toukiden for example.

PS4 can sell games in Japan yes. FFXV is a terrible example of that though, and actually makes a more compelling argument for the reverse position. And the reality is that while games can sell well on PS4 in Japan, for the most part they just haven't. Even Persona 5 managed series record sales by also being on PS3, PS4 couldn't carry it to that level alone.

This actually provides a good argument for PS4/Switch multiplat development for Japanese game makers, Switch can help cover local sales in much the same way winding down platforms like Vita and PS3 used to. Long term we'll see where that leads but there's also a danger here for Sony given it looks like PS4 can't really support Japanese releases alone and the other potentially viable multiplat target is now outside their ecosystem.

I don't really think that's the case, as we have signals from many devs recently that the PS3 to PS4 jump has been happening very successfully, what with the jump in numbers every week for the past few months.

3DS has been leading the pack, but that's more of an issue for Switch's early momentum.

Oregano

Correct, and again, that's assuming Switch takes off in Japan, which is anyone's guess.

I'm not sure they can really afford to wait and see at this point. Third parties need it to be a success too.

Probably said it better than I could. A lot of people will say they can make up those lost sales in other markets but I'm not sure why that means they should just accept lost sales like that.

Again, most(like almost all) of those games are vita games brought up to PS4 or PC graphical level, not the other way around.

That implies a super extreme level of compression of game assets, when that isn't really the case.

Its significantly harder to make a PS4 game run on vita than develop a vita game and simply run it at FHD with some graphical enhancements like Toukiden for example.

Take a look at Valkyria to see how a non-AAA PS4 game can scale down to Vita. It was developed as a PS4 exclusive at first.

Inuhanyou

It's probably a pipe dream, but a Kingdom Hearts III port for the Switch would make me incredibly happy.

It would not be as much of a pipe dream as you think considering Nintendo already have KH games on their machines. I think its more out of the ordinary having the lone KH3 on XB1 and not Switch actually.

The only thing is that KH3 and 2.8 for that matter, are being lead on PS4, so who knows what they would have to do to get KH running on Switch, but i don't doubt it would be one of the first candidates if SE were thinking about it.

But i have no doubt 1.5 and 2.5 would run well on Switch. As good as PS3 at least, although maybe at 30fps considering that CPU.

18-Volt

Other than Tekken and Marvel, Square's entire lineup basically is on UE4. Including DQ11 (Already confirmed), KH3, Nier Automata, and FF7 Remake.

Out of all, only those two are possible for Switch. Square Japan certainly don't do late ports, if one of their game is coming to Switch, it must have been in development for Switch alongside of other consoles.

There are still lightyears for KH3 release. I don't expect it to be on Switch but god, I'd love to be surprised.

Inuhanyou

Take a look at Valkyria to see how a non-AAA PS4 game can scale down to Vita. It was developed as a PS4 exclusive at first.

That says more about Media Vision's collective chops than porting a higher end PS4 level game to Vita. They were probably using Vita level assets to begin with and working on the Vita version anyway before it was officially announced.

Especially considering the OG Valkyria chronicles probably could not run on Vita without graphical cutbacks, but this game most certainly will.

I also think we're talking past each other here a bit. I'm referring to AAA games porting down to vita, are you referring to that or small Japanese titles being ported down to Vita?

Because i think they come from inherently different design philosophies.

KH3 is coming from the higher side for example, and games like World of Final Fantasy would be the lower side.

MacTag

Banned
I don't really think that's the case, as we have signals from many devs recently that the PS3 to PS4 jump has been happening very successfully, what with the jump in numbers every week for the past few months.

3DS has been leading the pack, but that's more of an issue for Switch's early momentum.
This is entirely the case if you pay attention to Japanese sales threads. We're seeing a diminishing transition with software per franchise even though hardware's tracking comparably to PS3 and Vita. The jump is happening for sure but not all that successfully from a commercial perspective.

3DS isn't just leading the pack, it's dominating the market. 50-60% of software sales generally are 3DS with the rest split between PS4, PS3, Vita and Wii U.

Oregano

That says more about Media Vision's collective chops than porting a higher end PS4 level game to Vita. They were probably using Vita level assets to begin with and working on the Vita version anyway before it was officially announced.

Especially considering the OG Valkyria chronicles probably could not run on Vita without graphical cutbacks, but this game most certainly will.

I also think we're talking past each other here a bit. I'm referring to AAA games porting down to vita, are you referring to that or small Japanese titles being ported down to Vita?

Because i think they come from inherently different design philosophies.

KH3 is coming from the higher side for example, and games like World of Final Fantasy would be the lower side.

You were replying to a point about Vita/PS4 games and regardless of that Switch is a lot more powerful than Vita. Something not being able to port to Vita doesn't mean the same game can't be ported to Switch. There will be games that can't be but those are a tiny minority of releases.

This is entirely the case if you pay attention to Japanese sales threads. We're seeing a diminishing transition with software per franchise even though hardware's tracking comparably to PS3 and Vita. The jump is happening for sure but not all that successfully from a commercial perspective.

3DS isn't just leading the pack, it's dominating the market. 50-60% of software sales generally are 3DS with the rest split between PS4, PS3, Vita and Wii U.

3DS does that with around 25% of releases too. Vita and PS4 get the majority of releases.

Net

It's probably a pipe dream, but a Kingdom Hearts III port for the Switch would make me incredibly happy.

Square has been putting Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo handhelds almost since the beginning (Chain of Memories).

If any of their major titles are getting ported besides DQXI, I'd say it would be KHIII.

Inuhanyou

And i think the question is more or less why these games like Yakuza 6 and FF15 and such are losing steam, i would not say it has to do with platform itself holding them back.

3DS generally has huge hits, but are largely in line with more casual games and Nintendo's own franchises.

Which still leaves the higher tier market out in the cold unless they turn to global success as there is no real guarantee that Switch would do anything for these titles beyond what Xenoblade X did for Wii U for example, while Splatoon destroyed everything due to its Nintendo connection and concept.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Japanese Developers embracing UE4 so heavily instead of custom engines etc. has been a huge boost to the Switch potential. Pretty much guarantees Japanese support will be stronger than the usual because no need for special engines or any garbage.

Unity is pretty helpful for them on this front too. Less Japanese developers use that on consoles, but it's still a pretty popular engine in Japan.

SE would be really stupid not to get KH3 on this thing.

KH 1.5 and 2.5 too - KH1+2 have never been portable before. Never thought there would be a day where you could take the entire series with you.

FFXV had performance issues on a PS4 Pro you think it will even run well on a Switch? lol

That being said why is GAF going all in on the Switch? What if it fails? We already know it's not powerful yet many here are delusional on what ports to expect then when it comes time to release this thing everyone is gonna be pissed because it runs like shit.

Top Bottom