• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games ordered to pay $245 million to players tricked into making "unwanted" purchases using dark patterns

EN250

Source that Epic did this?

They used to, idk if they changed it now but to give an example, the purchase page would be color coded based on the most visible color the game was showing, a walking sim in a jungle would have a prominent green and brown in its game, so the checkout page would be green + brown letters

Thought it was made to keep consistency to "don't take you out of the game" with a standard white and black screen, but being kids involved it could work exactly to entice them to expend more money 🤷‍♂️

True, but everyone should be protected from predatory behavior. Not sure why you can't see that point.

Because I wasn't arguing that, and that's the part you aren't considering. You agree whole heartedly with the result of this news, completely ignoring the part of the result that could easily be solved by parents being smart. Instead you are viewing the entire result as good and a solution letting the parents have no blame, which is why you think I'm arguing against predatory practices when I'm not.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
imagine they ban microtransaction.
WOnder what will happen to games like fifa or COD

BbMajor7th

Are you seriously comparing a robbery to parents handing their credit card to their kids?
No, in this analogy, handing the credit card to the kids is the same as the open door... an oversight on the part of an individual, but it doesn't mean that it's okay for other people profiting from it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Because I wasn't arguing that, and that's the part you aren't considering. You agree whole heartedly with the result of this news, completely ignoring the part of the result that could easily be solved by parents being smart. Instead you are viewing the entire result as good and a solution letting the parents have no blame, which is why you think I'm arguing against predatory practices when I'm not.
You chose to stick to a point in my original post that was followed by a winky-smiley emoji and ignored the rest. I never said parents have no blame. I said I agree with the results because everyone deserves to be protected from PREDATORTY BEHAVIOR. Which is exactly what the FTC found Epic did in this case.

BbMajor7th

Parents are not being let off the hook, Epic is simply being told they don't get to make money from poorly supervised minors.

None of us are 100% across everything all the time - oversights are a fact of life, but they shouldn't be seen as a profit opportunity for others.

Last edited:
You chose to stick to a point in my original post that was followed by a winky-smiley emoji and ignored the rest. I never said parents have no blame. I said I agree with the results because everyone deserves to be protected from PREDATORTY BEHAVIOR. Which is exactly what the FTC found Epic did in this case.

See the point you are missing, is you told me i was failing to realize the predatory nature, because you believed in some way I was defending or overlooking it. but the issue was you made that assumption specifically because you were not considering looking at the (lack of) parental actions, and me pointing them out, in a vacuum.

I never argued against any protection.

Last edited:

linkent

No example of how those dark pattern looks like?
Come on now as a parent myself, are those parents giving their kids credit card and dont expect them to spend it?
Cant spend money they dont have.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gotta love NeoGAF. MTX is the worst thing in gaming - unless it is being used to trick kids - then it's an awesome way to punish parents.

lukilladog

Having a high IQ doesn't mean someone is intelligent at all. Furthermore, you don't need high a IQ to have common sense.

We were talking about "stupidity" which is like the other extreme side, but of course almost everyone needs some "software upgrades" to abandon (reduce) our natural tendency to think in biassed and fallacious manners, since our brain likes to take shortcuts constantly. Personally I'm not a fan of common sense, it's the type of thing that makes you believe that the Earth is flat or that everything has to have a creator for example.

Last edited:

lukilladog

And some patterns (most beloved by marketing) are almost unavoidable no matter how high your IQ is (and some explicitly target high IQ). You need prior knowledge how it works and some training to not fall into cognitive bias trap, even if you are natural smart and highly educated.

Yeah right, its scary that people with the knowledge can make you draw or write certain things just by priming your brain with specific patterns. It's one of the reasons I'm a deterministic on free will.

LIQUID_

Banned
good, is a shame that amount is not event a dent to them,and maybe its gonna teach parents to be a little more carefull with their credit cards,or even better buy them a actually good game for a change lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
'No, not interested' - *click*
'No, I don't want to miss out' - *click*
'Skin purchased'
"Shit"

Last edited:
Top Bottom