• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store Announces Keyless Integration With Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, & Genba Digital

Bullet Club

Epic Games Store Announces Keyless Integration With Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, & Genba Digital

Today Epic Games announced that it partnered with a number of digital stores to add keyless integration on the Epic Games Store.

The partnership includes Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, and Genba Digital, which join the Humble Store, which has had this kind of integration since last year.

This means that you can purchase games digitally on those stores and via a link to your EGS account, have them appear directly in your library, without needing a download key.

Apparently, more of these partnerships will come in the future.

General manager of the Epic Games Store Steve Allison accompanied the press release with a comment:
“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our partnerships to allow for keyless purchases with third-parties.
Continuing to find ways to support developers and offering them ways to reach a wider audience, all while receiving a fair share, is important to us.”
Fanatical managing director Craig Jonhson also commented:
“Fanatical strives to give shoppers a fantastic array of digital products to choose from, and this partnership with Epic will most certainly strengthen that. We’re excited to be providing our customers with quick and easy access to fantastic titles – direct to their Epic Games Store library.”
Genba Digital’s CCO Claire Ralley had her own comment to share:
“Genba Digital is delighted to partner with Epic to offer a centralized keyless solution to the GENBA network and provide Epic content in this secure way to our partners.
Security has always been paramount to us as a distributor, so this collaboration helps us to remain at the forefront of innovation in this area.”
Last, but not least, here’s the comment from Green Man Gaming CEO Paul Sulyok.
“We are delighted to be working with the Epic team to implement an API for direct access to the extensive Epic Store game catalogue,” said CEO and Founder of Green Man Gaming, Paul Sulyok.
At Green Man Gaming we’ve always believed in the magic of games, and it seems that now more than ever we could all use a little interactive distraction.”
Incidentally, Grand Theft Auto V is currently available for free on the Epic Games Store.

Source: Twinfinite

Kuranghi

Bring in CDKeys and this will be pretty much a massive deal

Unfortunately the reason they are doing this is to try and get rid of sites like cdkeys.com. They want to lock down the regional pricing completely so that you have no choice but to pay £49.99-£59.99 for new PC release. I think cdkeys.com is currently publishers dirty little secret and they wouldn't want to bring too much attention to it.

I refused to pay £54.99 for Control & Jedi Fallen Order on EGS so I went back to piracy for those titles, which I stopped because Steam became so much more convenient/a better experience. Well EGS has negative convenience compared to Steam so I'm not gonna pay more than Steam AND have a worse experience when I already get my steam keys from cdkeys.com if I can.

I really enjoyed both those games though, so I bought them at 50% off a few months after release to support the devs/increase chance of more singleplayer Star Wars games.

SegaShack

Unfortunately the reason they are doing this is to try and get rid of sites like cdkeys.com. They want to lock down the regional pricing completely so that you have no choice but to pay £49.99-£59.99 for new PC release. I think cdkeys.com is currently publishers dirty little secret and they wouldn't want to bring too much attention to it.

I refused to pay £54.99 for Control & Jedi Fallen Order on EGS so I went back to piracy for those titles, which I stopped because Steam became so much more convenient/a better experience. Well EGS has negative convenience compared to Steam so I'm not gonna pay more than Steam AND have a worse experience when I already get my steam keys from cdkeys.com if I can.

I really enjoyed both those games though, so I bought them at 50% off a few months after release to support the devs/increase chance of more singleplayer Star Wars games.
You shouldn't be pirating games just because you don't agree with the price point.

TacosNSalsa

THANK F*CKING GOODNESS!!!! F*cking copying and f*cking pasting f*cking keys was the f*cking absolute bane of my f*cking existence!!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

"...reach a wider audience, all while receiving a fair share, is important to us"
Not sure about the others, but doesn't GMG has the 'evil' 30/70 split?

Solarstrike

Kgmp2WW.png

Guilty_AI

Someone explain to me how this is a good thing.

A keyless digital market is one they can 100% control.
Pretty sure Epic would be pleased with that. Or do we still pretend they want to compete and not create a monopoly on the PC digital market?

MMaRsu

Banned
Lmao 5his is the absolute worst shit ever.

Hey fans of consoles, do you still want to make the pc space as closed off as the console marketplace?

Epic is turning it into one, so fucking YEAHAW right?

GHG

Pretty sure Epic would be pleased with that. Or do we still pretend they want to compete and not create a monopoly on the PC digital market?

Well we have some people in this thread who look like they are pleased by this news.

I'd guess they are either lapsed console gamers who don't have the mental capacity to process there being so many options when purchasing PC games, or they are just "Epic games good, steam bad" meatheads.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Someone explain to me how this is a good thing.

A keyless digital market is one they can 100% control.
Steam and EGS have figured out that users are mostly willing to give up that sort of control for the sake of convenience in not having to copy/paste or type in key codes.

MMaRsu

Banned
I dont understand why people arent holding these fuckers feet to the fire.

I guess we have all become weak little sheep. Cant wait to follow in line

Pc gaming is dying fast. In 10 years we will have the publisher stores, exclusives on only 1 storefronts, multiple launchers, invasive drms, epic store, no more keys and grey markets

😂 lmao thanks tim sweeney for saving the pc market

All that for some extra cash, he is willing to destroy the pc gaming market

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
keyless is shit. I want to buy saints row 2 key, send a pic of it to my friend and say "have it you fucker, now endure that 12fps piece of garbage port" :D
oh and I am still not creating epic account

Last edited:

SCB3

I refused to pay £54.99 for Control & Jedi Fallen Order on EGS so I went back to piracy for those titles

Piracy is never the answer dude, c'mon be better than that, I didn't pay £54 for Control or Jedi Fallen Order, in fact I bought a month of Origin Premier at £15 for Star Wars and Control was only £25 at Xmas, not long after release

EGS is not that bad if I'm honest, its not as feature heavy as Steam and does need work, but at this point I have about 10 Lauchers for games, I don't care where they're based, just uses GOG to organise them now

Lmao 5his is the absolute worst shit ever.

Hey fans of consoles, do you still want to make the pc space as closed off as the console marketplace?

Epic is turning it into one, so fucking YEAHAW right?
Aren't steam, the windows store, whatever EA, Ubisoft, etc. Stores all aspire to do?

I mean, you haven't been able to buy an actual game on physical media for years now... Because of Steam, some games are still locked behind the old game for windows app, etc. That is hardly a differentiator... Unless you use only the gog store and find old school download from the publisher's site.

MMaRsu

Banned
No bc Steam allows you to generate keys and those can get sold at much lower prices

if the only way is to buy a game directly grey market will die byebye decent prizes

Reactions: GHG

bigace33

Piracy is never the answer dude, c'mon be better than that, I didn't pay £54 for Control or Jedi Fallen Order, in fact I bought a month of Origin Premier at £15 for Star Wars and Control was only £25 at Xmas, not long after release

EGS is not that bad if I'm honest, its not as feature heavy as Steam and does need work, but at this point I have about 10 Lauchers for games, I don't care where they're based, just uses GOG to organise them now
Not only that, but control has been cheap as it has ever been on EGS. You can get it for $19.99

I refuse to pay full price for new releases. I also refuse to pirate. There's no excuse. Also, any move intended to get rid of keys can kiss my ass.

Reactions: GHG

Longcat

keyless is shit. I want to buy saints row 2 key, send a pic of it to my friend and say "have it you fucker, now endure that 12fps piece of garbage port" :D
oh and I am still not creating epic account
I don't really trust Epic because of the China connection and that the client scans your computer and does weird stuff without your consent, like when it secretly copied files from your Steam folder to import your friends list even though you didn't ask it to, and when caught, Sweeney was like "oopsie, it shouldn't do that, the feature was rushed lol". However, I recently created an account just to be a little shit and claim the free games to be an economic burden on them, but I'm not buying anything or installing that client anytime soon.

And yes, fuck keyless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom