• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store: Get Free Games Every Two Weeks.

Kreydo

Offer me some of the main game from my steam library i'm still playing and then i switch to your Store Epic.

Iaterain

What do they mean by "free games"? Most of the games today are incomplete and full experience cost money.
Like Bungie was recently given away Destiny 2 for free not because of kindness but because they need to lure the prey into their trap.

I don't really have any complaints towards Steam... I just hope that they will take the competition with full seriousness and offer something better.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Subnautica? Didn't MS give that away free for the 360 years and years ago? I got a Xbone on Black Friday and saw that it was in my library

Maybe we can get an updated Yaris

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So with so few games on there to begin with I'll have them all in a couple months after they release? :p

Edit: oh I see, guess not cos they're specifically making deals to add new freebies all the time. Like, Super Meat Boy Forever will come to the service, but they're adding the first game as freebie for the deal.

Subnautica is a pretty big get for a free thing, must have had to pay them a good sum for that, given the game got great reviews and gets more hype with getting out of early access, coming to consoles, etc.

Last edited:

Serianox

I mean i'll take the free games just like i did with Origin but i'm not sure how effective it's going to be in turning people to use the store to do anything other than as a keeping grounds for the free stuff they got.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The epic client is awful in 4k. Will have to give me free stuff to ever open it

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
Sorry, not going to install something that the Chinese own and could use to spy on you. Nice to have free games but not worth it. I will stick with Steam and GOG.

Last edited:

Alexios

Sorry, not going to install something that the Chinese own and could use to spy on you. Nice to have free games but not worth it. I will stick with Steam and GOG.
So why are you ok with The Americans and The Polish spying on you but not The Chinese? Just curious.

Solomeena

Banned
So why are you ok with The Americans and The Polish spying on you but not The Chinese? Just curious.

Are you really going to put Valve and GOG on the same plane as China, who spies on every single one of it's citizens and who has it's claws in Tencent? Seriously? I would trust Valve and GOG implicitly until they otherwise give me reason not to. China by contrast is duplicitous in the spying game, on everyone and everything.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeah, no scandal about the US government spying on anyone illegally has been heard, ever, and if any was heard sure it was an isolated incident, not the tip of the iceberg, the rest are safe.

So, trust your pure not-Chinese government to make sure Epic's client is lawful then, it does have to abide by the national laws where it does its business and Epic is based in NA anyway.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
So, trust your pure government to make sure Epic's client is lawful then, it does have to abide by the national laws where it does its business.

That is your response? Give me a break, you sure love you some Chinese spying bro. Not going to take you seriously if this is your response. Here are some articles for you to read over unless all you are interested in doing is deflecting.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/more-...ages-for-beijing-to-spy-on-users_2510577.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/beijing-pushes-for-a-direct-hand-in-chinas-big-tech-firms-1507758314 (behind a paywall but the first paragraph says it all)
https://www.axios.com/china-big-tec...ing-c9de0516-1315-41e8-9daa-932c57f7faec.html

Solomeena

Banned
Yeah, no scandal about the US government spying on anyone illegally has been heard, ever, and if any was heard sure it was an isolated incident, not the tip of the iceberg, the rest are safe.

So, trust your pure not-Chinese government to make sure Epic's client is lawful then, it does have to abide by the national laws where it does its business and Epic is based in NA anyway.

Hahaha, okay. Now i know not to take you seriously. Stanning for CHINA of all countries, that is bad.

Alexios

Don't see what's absurd about expecting your government to keep you safe from the Chinese Fortnite Trojan Horse but okay, I won't press you more on the subject, you do you.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
At that price, I should give Super Meat Boy a go.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Not going to buy abything ever on this store cuz there's no regional prices just like on eShop, PS Store and Xbox Games Store. Also, there's absolutely no benefit for us to buy games on Epic's store.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I already own those games, so... thx, but no thx. I'm sticking to Steam... and Origin, and UPlay, and Humble Store, and Windows Store, and Battle.net, and Twitch client, and GOG, and... fuck....

ookami

Are you really going to put Valve and GOG on the same plane as China
Didn't laugh this much since a long time. Are you really comparing those companies with a country?

Riot Games is 'fully' owned by Tencent since 2011, you're a bit too late.
And by the way, Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games and only have two representatives on the 7 people comprising the board of directors.
There are at least 9 firms owning shares comprising Disney.

To stay on topic, I'm curious about the kind of deal they've made to be able to give those games. They're going the Amazon/twitch way.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gameinformer.com/the-ga...als-first-slate-of-games-including-new-titles

• Ashen by A44 and Annapurna Interactive (now available)
  • Darksiders III by Gunfire Games and THQ Nordic (available Dec. 14)
  • Hades by Supergiant Games (now available)
  • Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek by tinyBuild (now available)
  • Genesis Alpha One by Radiation Blue and Team17 (coming soon)
  • Journey by thatgamecompany and Annapurna Interactive (coming soon)
  • Maneater by Tripwire Interactive (coming soon)
  • Outer Wilds by Mobius Digital and Annapurna Interactive (coming soon)
  • Pathless by Giant Squid Studios (coming soon)
  • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw by Double Damage Games (coming soon)
  • Satisfactory by Coffee Stain Studios (coming soon)
  • Subnautica by Unknown Worlds (available for free from Dec. 14 - Dec. 27)
  • Super Meat Boy by Team Meat (available for free from Dec. 28 - Jan. 10)
  • Super Meat Boy Forever by Team Meat (coming soon)
  • World War Z by Saber Interactive (coming soon)

Last edited:

Alexios

Aaaaah, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks crazy, I hope it comes soon, another one that was a sure bet for Steam (like their previous Rebel Galaxy game) going to Epic. What exactly is Epic Store trying to accomplish for customers btw? I just see it as an effort trying to take market share from Steam, Origin and so on and make money in this store business, and so far approaching developers/smaller publishers with enticing fees and exclusivity deals to stop them from also getting on other stores. Which is all fine and well, but what are they doing for customers feature wise or whatever that is different? The client as it is now doesn't seem to hint towards anything cool as far as I can tell, though the ability to import Steam friends is nice, but what else are they going to do other than wanting to eventually be like/as big as Steam except with their own exclusivity deals?

Last edited:

Domisto

I won't lie, they've got my attention. Steam is a juggernaut and this is how you go after them. But what is the UI/UX like?

CeeJay

Not going to buy abything ever on this store cuz there's no regional prices just like on eShop, PS Store and Xbox Games Store. Also, there's absolutely no benefit for us to buy games on Epic's store.
If the devs pass on some of that extra cut they get over other stores then the Epic store will be cheaper than the others so that right there is a benefit, no?

Kadayi

Banned
Decided to sign up on the basis that Journey is coming to it at some point and Ashen could be tempting. What a palaver. Holy shit. You'd have thought if they're going after Steam they'd have taken a long hard look at the opposition in terms of how they work beforehand from a user perspective. But seemingly not. apparently, Usernames have to be completely unique versus a placeholder, and you can't scan player profiles at all when adding friends (no preview option, just send friends request hit and hope style). Needless to say, my preferred username is already is taken. Take a lesson from Steam and make usernames adaptable Epic. No amount of free games is going to make me like a service where I can't use my preferred moniker which everyone knows me by either. It's the same retard approach Ubi uses with Uplay. I mean JFC, on Steam alone there are 50K users called 'Cheese' (not my choice, just an example) if you want to build a true competitor you need flexible user options, that work for the user rather than against them. Epic Fail.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Are you really going to put Valve and GOG on the same plane as China, who spies on every single one of it's citizens and who has it's claws in Tencent? Seriously? I would trust Valve and GOG implicitly until they otherwise give me reason not to. China by contrast is duplicitous in the spying game, on everyone and everything.
Yeah, it’s not like the U.S.A got caught spying on everything and everyone. If that had happened, they’d probably have someone holed up in an Ecuadorian embassy.

ROMhack

Our goal is to bring you great games, and to give game developers a better deal: they receive 88% of the money you spend, versus only 70% elsewhere. This helps developers succeed and make more of the games you love.

That's great and everything but I personally don't care about supporting developers through anything but purchasing and playing their games in the first place, which absolutely shouldn't be sneered at given how easy it is to pirate games. I feel like this is bordering on guilt-tripping consumers and see it as a needless piece of marketing junk that probably isn't as important as Epic think. If it's what they're leading on to compete with Steam/Origin/GoG then I suspect they'll fail as I very much doubt most gamers are morally conscious about games. It's hardly climate change.

Last edited:

InvictusBlurp

Neo Member

Same here, no regional prices is a big no for me.
I will get the free games but will buy my games on Steam or Nuuvem that have regional prices.

Top Bottom