• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: "I think the console guys are going to blow us all away"

If you want high end, buy a PC. Why everyone on GAF has a fetish for systems too expensive to afford is beyond me.

PC's are inexorably tied to consoles these days anyway. My brother (PC only gamer mostly) laments all the time he wishes new consoles would come out so PC graphics would take a jump.

THE:MILKMAN

More is always better right? I also think it's up to them as 'software guys' to push as hard as they can to get more while the 'console guys' have to decide when enough is enough regarding the cost effectiveness of what they are asking for.

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this but aren't the next gen systems at this point locked down as far as specs are concerned? (Assuming late 2013 launch)

If Epic really do want/need more power in the next gen console's then they should have spoken up a couple of years ago!

Emitan

PC's are inexorably tied to consoles these days anyway. My brother (PC only gamer mostly) laments all the time he wishes new consoles would come out so PC graphics would take a jump.

I'd rather have PCs "held back" so it's cheaper for people to get into, making a more healthy market, than focusing on bleeding edge tech. It's not as sustainable.

aesop

the new AppleTV cost $99 and uses the same A5 processor in the iPhone 4S which is perfectly capable of handling UE3, even better than current gen consoles in some ways

I do not think he exclusively meant the iPad when he said Apple could surpass them

Because a CPU is all you need to run today's games, right?

I will say one encouraging thing about the topic title:

Epic: "I think the console guys are going to blow us all away"

Rein probably KNOWS at least what Durango looks like, or has a good idea. He may not be able to say it's fact, by using the words "I think" rather than "I know", but it's probably as good as fact.

I follow every word Rein says on the subject and he's been pretty consistent on the hints that next gen is going to be pretty powerful. I mean I watched a recorded USTREAM conference with the guy and he dropped some great hints there LOL, that's my level of following.

Nilaul

In 25 years it wont matter... portables will have enough power to stimulate real life... No need for consoles.

stuminus3

wish I had a good on rails shooter where is fucking peter molyneux when I need him? Guess I will have to trust in dougie d from now on
image.jpg

Riggs

Banned
Shepard does not sleep! That new tech Quantic Dream showed w/ Kara trailer was all going smoothly and I had the notion of "I wonder if she's a sex bot". I was right, so emotional.

Because a CPU is all you need to run today's games, right?

the A5 processor has a CPU and GPU built into the same chip, not unlike an AMD APU processor or intel sandy bridge/ivy bridge processor

I do not think Mark Reins is as dumb as some of you are making him out to be, he has a valid point and I'm glad that Epic is pushing the console makers to make next gen consoles as powerful as they can

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this but aren't the next gen systems at this point locked down as far as specs are concerned? (Assuming late 2013 launch)

If Epic really do want/need more power in the next gen console's then they should have spoken up a couple of years ago!

No, the specs of these things can change very late in development. Some things are more flexible than others, of course. The Gamecube's clock speeds changed very late, if I recall, and of course there's the aforementioned doubling of RAM in the 360.

You could be right, they're likely to be locked at this stage but the quotes indicate this may not be the case. And if you look at the WiiU for example, even though it's releasing this year, improvements have supposedly been made to the latest dev kits.

If you want high end, buy a PC. Why everyone on GAF has a fetish for systems too expensive to afford is beyond me.

Because the tech is more than 7 years old. Because they've scraped the bottom of the barrel with what they can do. Because all we're getting now are sequels. It's time for a new generation of consoles to match the new generation of handhelds. The 3DS has better multiplayer than the Wii and online infrastructure. The Vita can do things that the PS3 cannot do in terms of messaging, download speed, day and day retail/digital, etc. I and many others are sick and tired of the same old shit being released on the PS3/360. The visuals are no longer impressive. The gameplay is stale. No new IP's. It's over.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If 720 release this year or Spring 2013 wasn't ruled out already, this discourse seals the deal. If a console would be released within the next year hardware would be locked down and this effort would be futile (and Rein would know it).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still dont follow how Apple is goig to "pass them". with what an ipad ? really??how does the gpu in the ipad compare to next gen consoles???not following.

ipad 3 (sorry, new ipad) has the same GPU as a vita. but half the CPU (not allowing for clock speed variances). Also its missing VRAM. Less than a Vita anyway. Vita is less than a PS3. I'd also bet money that the battery will last a shorter amount of time playing a similarly taxing game - you get nowhere near 10hrs playing something like infinity blade.

Apple are so good at selective quoting

ipad has more ram than PS3
ipad has a higher resolution than HDTV
ipad has 10 hours battery life

all accurate stats in isolation, but that doesn't not mean you have a tablet that can play games in higher than HD resolution, better than PS3, for 10 hours :)

maybe ipad 4 or 5 will catch up to PS3, just as Sony replace it.

I think perhaps people think mobile tech has moved so quickly in recent years that it'll continue to develop at that rate, which it won't. It'll hit power and thermal limits pretty quickly

Riggs

Banned
Because the tech is more than 7 years old. Because they've scraped the bottom of the barrel with what they can do. Because all we're getting now are sequels. It's time for a new generation of consoles to match the new generation of handhelds. The 3DS has better multiplayer than the Wii and online infrastructure. The Vita can do things that the PS3 cannot do in terms of messaging, download speed, day and day retail/digital, etc. I and many others are sick and tired of the same old shit being released on the PS3/360. The visuals are no longer impressive. The gameplay is stale. No new IP's. It's over.

jermaine_jackson-i_like_your_style.jpg

Emitan

I'm not saying we shouldn't get new consoles (rereading my posts in this thread it sort of looks like that). I just don't want the new consoles to be super expensive because the people who want to pay money for raw power can just build PCs. I want consoles to compliment my PC, not replace it.

Blitzzz

Infinity Blade 2 on my iPhone looks as good or better than any UE3 based game ive played on consoles with maybe the exception of Mass Effect, and the new iPad is more powerful. All im saying is current tech in Apple's newest products are basically on par with what our current consoles can offer graphically, if the next gen consoles arent a big leap forward then yes I agree that given a few years Apple could have the ability to surpass them or at least become a significant competitor. I dont think Apple even has much interest in that market tho

haha what is this? I can't believe there are posters like this on GAF

pro tip: IB2 does not "look" better than console UE3 games because of iPhone/iPad's power

Do you honestly believe that IB2 could not be released on 360 or ps3?

Even if the iPad was twice as powerful as a PS3 you can't play shit with a touchscreen and without physical controls. Apples and watermelons would be almost real in fruit ninja though... what a difficult choice it would be.

guldakot

The problem with a $600 console is that the vast majority of regular people still view them as toys designed to play games and nothing else. I, and a lot of other people on a forum devoted to gaming would obviously be willing to pay a higher price point for better tech, but the general public will not.

The Ipad is not in the same class as consoles because it is a general purpose device that just happens to play games. Hence the reason that Apple can sell it for so high (that and the cult of apple of course) a price and people will still snap it up.

The Ipad and other tablets are just taking over the slot previously held onto by laptops imo, and although sure there will be some snacking on the gaming table as well, as a whole I just don't view them in the same class.

One final note. The yearly updates ( or damn near) of the Ipad's and other mobile devices is a double edged sword. Eventually the mobile tech will catch up with the next gen consoles, but will the game developers care? In the era of monster budget games that take 2-3 years to develop, are game developers inclined to chase moving goalposts?

Just my 2c.

Vespene

With every generation, the weakest, cheapest tech console has always won. Nintendo took it to a whole new level with the Wii and it still worked. But this is a dangerous practice, as evidenced by the Nintendo bubble burst of 2010.

ElFly

Apple are so good at selective quoting

ipad has more ram than PS3
ipad has a higher resolution than HDTV
ipad has 10 hours battery life

all accurate stats in isolation, but that doesn't not mean you have a tablet that can play games in higher than HD resolution, better than PS3, for 10 hours :)

I for one welcome Apple making fun of the consoles. It's not that hard to make a game run at higher resolution than the average PS3 game, since most of them have to suffer to get 720p.

And their higher-than-1080p ipad 3 hopefully will make some display makers create affordable higher-than-1080p displays. It's stupid how hard is to find something better than a 1080p monitor without paying $texas.

Fight the good fight, Epic. Keep encouraging MS and Sony to open their purses a little more. Also, could you ask them to increase the bandwidth limits on XBL and PSN while you're at it?

StevieP

Banned
I'm not saying we shouldn't get new consoles (rereading my posts in this thread it sort of looks like that). I just don't want the new consoles to be super expensive because the people who want to pay money for raw power can just build PCs. I want consoles to compliment my PC, not replace it.

It's like this post came directly from my head.

With every generation, the weakest, cheapest tech console has always won. Nintendo took it to a whole new level with the Wii and it still worked. But this is a dangerous practice, as evidenced by the Nintendo bubble burst of 2010.

Wii had a normal console cycle, and took it 5 years with a pathetic level of third party support. The other consoles have had a longer generation because it's taken much longer for their ROI to come to fruition. That, and "HD" software is longer in the oven/more expensive.

aesop

What the shit? What are you even trying to say? That ports and sequels don't exist on new hardware? That's just beyond insane.

Dave Long

Banned
That's true but what he pushes for benefits us too.
That's debatable. If they didn't push graphics so hard they wouldn't eat so many cycles, both literally in processing terms and within human resources, that could then instead benefit AI and physics and all those things that actually make games fun.

I'm not interested in prettier movies I can twiddle sticks and push buttons to. I always want better games.

This is entirely false. Cell Phone Tech has advanced as fast as it has because its catching up to where everything else is. Its not going to magically leap frog everyone and suddenly find PCs etc in the past.
I don't think either of you a right to be quite honest. There are a multitude of reasons for the perceived leaps including die shrinks, shorter battery life expectations, improvements in display power consumption etc.
I don't see it slowing down but I don't think it will be speeding up really either, not at a rate faster or slower than the rest of the tech market anyhow.

Mark is a bit off with his comparison of the traditional console business model and Apple's iPhone business model. Apple makes a huge gross margin on the hardware. The amount they make from software is peanuts in comparison. Microsoft and Sony make nothing on hardware. The higher the specs, the higher the pain they feel at the beginning of the generation as they aim to keep the console retail price below $499. Apple can put relatively monstrous specs in its iPhones and iPads and still coin it.
He is totally wrong with his comparisons and it ruins his whole argument. He often does this and imo isn't really worth listening to outside of finding out about Epic and their engines.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The new iPad is more powerful than an Xbox360 or a Playstation 3. It's more powerful than a Vita, has a bigger screen, and more than triple the battery life. They also come out with a new one every year, instead of in huge 7 year cycles.
From what I understand, ARM chips are not even close to match the processing capabilities of the Xenon in the 360.

Medalion

Banned
I'm sure Xbox 720 and PS4 will blow us away technologically, Wii-U, it will be modest as usual... I am just being realistic here

DarkChild

Banned
Infinity Blade 2 on my iPhone looks as good or better than any UE3 based game ive played on consoles with maybe the exception of Mass Effect, and the new iPad is more powerful. All im saying is current tech in Apple's newest products are basically on par with what our current consoles can offer graphically, if the next gen consoles arent a big leap forward then yes I agree that given a few years Apple could have the ability to surpass them or at least become a significant competitor. I dont think Apple even has much interest in that market tho
You are telling me certain iPhone game looks better than Gears of fucking War 3? Got to be kidding me...

Marco1

I read Rein's comment as the next-gen will be cutting-edge for definite.
The guy knows what they will do and it's why he is making sure their engine will be running most next-gen games also.

Top Bottom