• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: "I think the console guys are going to blow us all away"

Marco1

I'm not saying we shouldn't get new consoles (rereading my posts in this thread it sort of looks like that). I just don't want the new consoles to be super expensive because the people who want to pay money for raw power can just build PCs. I want consoles to compliment my PC, not replace it.

Personally, I want the next-gen of consoles to not make me want a PC.

Hero

Yeah, okay Epic. Whatever you say, dudebro's!

If you want high end, buy a PC. Why everyone on GAF has a fetish for systems too expensive to afford is beyond me.

An enthusiast forum dedicated to an enthusiast hobby really has you wondering why a good majority on GAF loves the highest end of the spectrum?

DarkChild

Banned
When it comes to tech, you just can't expect reason from those guys.

apple-line-3gs-000.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think either of you a right to be quite honest. There are a multitude of reasons for the perceived leaps including die shrinks, shorter battery life expectations, improvements in display power consumption etc.
I don't see it slowing down but I don't think it will be speeding up really either, not at a rate faster or slower than the rest of the tech market anyhow.

He is totally wrong with his comparisons and it ruins his whole argument. He often does this and imo isn't really worth listening to outside of finding out about Epic and their engines.
it will always be behind console/pc tech. stevieP and brain stew are always talking about less than 200w for a console, but whats the limit for a tablet - <20w?

That too. Or any game about to be released this year(ACIII, LOU, H4, GTAV etc.) but he specifically mentioned UE3.

Oh, right, missed that part. Well in that case... there are plenty of great looking games on UE3 that also have an original look, like Alice, Mirror's Edge or Borderlands.

RooMHM

Nice speech. Makes perfect sense but Epic saying this? I don't see them pushing the boundaries even with tech. They're always 3 years behind and in terms of gameplay it's ever regressing. Quite daring Epic.

DarkChild

Banned
Nice speech. Makes perfect sense but Epic saying this? I don't see them pushing the boundaries even with tech. They're always 3 years behind and in terms of gameplay it's ever regressing. Quite daring Epic.
They are behind in the end of console cycle, but they are first out of the gate with best tech and tools available. Thats their business model.

slider

Epic have made an awful lot of next-gen statements.

I love the mention of Apple too; Epic servicing both segments of the market and, totally naturally, willing the other into existence!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'd have no problem with that, if every single game was available on PC.

there is not a single platform where all games are available. PC has plenty high-profile exclusives (assuming you love strategies and online games), consoles have them too.

Epic guys always speak out loud and clear.

"I'd rather wait until they can bring out hardware that can do Samaritan affordably than bring out something super high-priced and the market adopts it slowly as they wait for a price drop."

"In terms of something aimed at running Samaritan, I don't think it would be practical to come out with a new console at that spec right now.I think we're a few years away from that kind of hardware being available at a price consumers would embrace."

"I think we're still getting great value out of the consoles we have today and we can continue to hone our skills with those for a few more years.

LINK (Jul 2011)

"I'd hate to say that the Wii U is late; in fact, you could almost argue that it's early"

" One can certainly envision a future a couple years down the road where we have some significantly leapfrogged generation and then the Wii U again becomes a system that's not easily portable between the other platforms"

Link (Aug 2011)

I read Rein's comment as the next-gen will be cutting-edge for definite.
The guy knows what they will do and it's why he is making sure their engine will be running most next-gen games also.
He knows what's up.

Coolwhip

Banned
Strange, a company that creates engines for cutting edge, has an opinion that's positive towards cutting edge technology... hmmm....

i-Lo

"Don't worry. We are absolutely every day [pushing platform holders]," Rein told CVG. "This is why we did Samaritan and why we're doing a really high-end demo in the room here. We really are pushing these guys, because if they don't, Apple will go right past them."

With regards to this:

Since MS and Sony's designs are pretty much finalized now, could we assume that Epic's involvement with both parties dates back to the time of contention for original design specs for PS4 and NextBox?

DarkChild

Banned
Lucas Arts is hiring for future generation of consoles I saw on Gamasutra, I think 2013 is the year.

Oh, and that quote about Wii U and todays about UE4 don't sound to good for Nintendo.

there is not a single platform where all games are available. PC has plenty high-profile exclusives (assuming you love strategies and online games), consoles have them too.

sure, but the games i like to play the most are not on pc.
I'd love them to be... then i'd only buy one super pc for all my games.

Medalion

Banned
Lucas Arts is hiring for future generation of consoles I saw on Gamasutra, I think 2013 is the year.

Oh, and that quote about Wii U and todays about UE4 don't sound to good for Nintendo.

The fact this would surprise anyone shows how much faith fans run on... the equivlent of a religion believing in the 2nd coming. Wii-U was always going to be modest compared to the other systems as always, but hardware doesn't define Nintendo, it's the game franchises.

DarkChild

Banned
The fact this would surprise anyone shows how much faith fans run on... the equivlent of a religion believing in the 2nd coming. Wii-U was always going to be modest compared to the other systems as always, but hardware doesn't define Nintendo, it's the game franchises.
I'm not saying Nintendo should get into power race (maybe there won't be any actually) but the fact that UE4 might need more horsepower is not great for Nintendo since thats major 3rd party engine.

And of course, something couple times better than HD twins, plus new nice way of improving gaming is extremely important(along with their 1st party games), I just thought they were shooting for UE seriously.

Medalion

Banned
I'm not saying Nintendo should get into power race (maybe there won't be any actually) but the fact that UE4 might need more horsepower is not great for Nintendo since thats major 3rd party engine.

When I heard the specs about what it takes to run something like Samaritan, a Cry Engine 3.5 ish demo... I knew Wii-U would be lucky to pull that off, let alone UE4

With regards to this:

Since MS and Sony's designs are pretty much finalized now, could we assume that Epic's involvement with both parties dates back to the time of contention for original design specs for PS4 and NextBox?

That's what I gather. People think Epic are just hyping their engine, but I think Epic knows or has a good idea of what will be in the next gen systems. I'm sure they gave some input and had a few meetings with Sony and MS.

Hopefully this recent comment about him thinking they will blow us away will make people think twice about their doom and gloom predictions about next gen being weak "because Sony can't afford to release a really powerful console system again".

RooMHM

They are behind in the end of console cycle, but they are first out of the gate with best tech and tools available. Thats their business model.
I know but I don't agree with the "best tech". And this "one engine" model is the worst that could happen. All games tend to have the same problems in terms of graphics because devs don't really work on adapting UE for their needs. The thing is Epic makes games that I find ugly and repulsive and thats what their engine is best for. Easy to be the best where you're alone... In the end evolution is slowed down and graphical progress less than what it could be.

StevieP

Banned
That's what I gather. People think Epic are just hyping their engine, but I think Epic knows or has a good idea of what will be in the next gen systems. I'm sure they gave some input and had a few meetings with Sony and MS.

Hopefully this recent comment about him thinking they will blow him away will make people think twice about their doom and gloom predictions about next gen being weak "because Sony can't afford to release a really powerful console system again".

If you read the OP, he's practically begging for more. bgassassin has pointed this out many times, both today and in the past 6 months.

2San

I know but I don't agree with the "best tech". And this "one engine" model is the worst that could happen. All games tend to have the same problems in terms of graphics because devs don't really work on adapting UE for their needs. The thing is Epic makes games that I find ugly and repulsive and thats what their engine is best for. Easy to be the best where you're alone... In the end evolution is slowed down and graphical progress less than what it could be.
So what's your theory on why devs use UE? Let me remind you that Gears of War 1 was pretty much the undisputed best looking game of 2006.

mclem

These guys sell a game engine. Never forget that when Rein talks.

So very much this.

If there's not a hugely powerful new console out there, they're going to struggle to market an upgrade to the middleware they're selling.

As I've said a few times: Seen any companies asking for a big tech upgrade who *don't* have an engine to sell?

Company that specializes in selling game engines says that you have to have to be on the bleeding edge of technology to succeed.

SHOCKING.

It amuses me immensely that my favourite Epic game (by the almighty Tim Sweeney, no less!) uses ANSI graphics.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
PowerVR mobile tech actually does already have certain advantages in IQ compared to current consoles.

Next year's iPad and iPhone will have higher raw graphics performance than either PS3 or X360.

Jtrizzy

Sounds like he's seen MS/Sony's plans for next gen and it wasn't what he was hoping for, and is trying to pressure them to add more horsepower.

If you read the OP, he's practically begging for more. bgassassin has pointed this out many times, both today and in the past 6 months.

I'm sure even at this late hour he's advocating for the highest performing specification. Surely at least in MS's case, they have the CPU/GPU and general hw architecture design ready. Ram and other clock speeds and silicon binning can be tweaked and finalized right up until mass production begins.

He describes a scenario that is bad, but also says he doesn't think it will happen. You know he's got to be under various NDAs and has to speak hypothetically, The fact that he thinks they will be powerful enough, and yet is still urging bleeding edge against the threat of Apple, would be consistent with him knowing in general how powerful they will be, but also lobbying as hard as possible, while the final design spec is becoming finalized. The console manufacturers need to take as much loss as possible in his view.

I'm dying to know how this will play out. I wonder if one company is perhaps considering going relatively cheap (i.e. rumors next xbox isn't much better than Wii-U) and he's trying to talk them out of it ?

StevieP

Banned
I'm sure even at this late hour he's advocating for the highest performing specification. Surely at least in MS's case, they have the CPU/GPU and general hw architecture design ready. Ram and other clock speeds and silicon binning can be tweaked and finalized right up until mass production begins.

He describes a scenario that is bad, but also says he doesn't think it will happen. You know he's got to be under various NDAs and has to speak hypothetically, The fact that he thinks they will be powerful enough, and yet is still urging bleeding edge against the threat of Apple, would be consistent with him knowing in general how powerful they will be, but also lobbying as hard while the final design spec is becoming finalized. He wants the console manufacturers to take as much loss as possible.

I'm dying to know how this will play out. I wonder if one company is perhaps considering going "cheap" and he's trying to talk them out of it. MS better listen to them again.

It's not necessarily that one will go "cheap", just that they may spend their money elsewhere. As an example, throwing Kinect 2 in the box will require you to shave money on the BOM of the hardware *or* take a heavier loss. Including a tablet controller - same deal.

I didn't point it out today. I read it and decided to be nice this time. :)

Whoops! My bad. Well some folks did in this thread, and I know you've noticed Mark saying similar things over the course of the past year :)

In a previous thread, Rein was quoted by saying

The point, Rein explained to me, is that, if you were making a game for next-gen systems that you'd also want running on current systems, you would still go with UE3 and try for Samaritan-level sizzle in the next-gen versions of the game. But if you were going purely next-gen, you'd go with UE4.

This is the route I see Wii U titles going. It is all about the scalability of the Unreal tech. Irrational proved with Bioshock that the UE2 engine could pull off, after modifications of course, features not officially seen in next gen unreal tech until gears 1 released and this is what I expect from developers on the Wii U. UE4 may not be doable on the Wii U, but a heavily modified UE3 certainly is.

I don't care if the thing costs 1000 dollars put as much fucking raw robot shit into that motherfucker and I'll buy it day 1. We've been stagnant way too long, I want some bleeding edge shit. I want to return to the point where every year was leaps and bounds more advanced than the year prior.

Top Bottom