• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Indie Sale (Wii U eShop, Europe, 9th July)

Robin64

Update: This applies to America too. Not sure on exact pricing, but it's listed as "up to 60% off".

Beginning 9th July and ending on 23rd July, a whole bunch of fantastic indie games will go on sale in Europe for Wii U's eShop. Assuming you own just one in the list, you qualify for discounts on the others. From the PR:

14 Wii U titles presented by 7 studios from 6 countries are on sale on Nintendo eShop in the Epic Indie Sale. If you own one or more of following titles on your Wii U, you can download the others at a discounted rate. This offer ends on July 23.

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games) - €4.79/£3.99 (Normally €11.99/£9.99)
EDGE (Two Tribes Publishing) - €0.79/£0.71 (Normally €1.99/£1.79)
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games) - €5.99/£5.19 (Normally €14.99/£12.99)
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Drinkbox Studios) - €5.59/£4.79 (Normally €13.99/£11.99)
Mighty Switch Force! 2 (WayForward) - €2.00/£2.00 (Normally €5.00/£5.00)
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WayForward) - €3.99/£3.59 (Normally €9.99/£8.99)
RUSH (Two Tribes Publishing) - €0.79/£0.71 (Normally €1.99/£1.79)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward) - €6.79/£6.39 (Normally €16.99/£15.99)
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (KnapNok Games) - €3.59/£3.20 (Normally €8.99/£8.00)
Swords & Soldiers (Two Tribes Publishing) - €1.19/£0.99 (Normally €2.99/£2.69)
Toki Tori (Two Tribes Publishing) - €0.79/£0.69 (Normally €1.99/£1.79)
Toki Tori 2 + (Two Tribes Publishing) - €5.99/£5.19 (Normally €14.99/£12.99)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte) - €6.79/£5.39 (Normally €16.99/£13.99)
Trine Enchanted Edition (Frozenbyte) - €5.19/£4.39 (Normally €12.99/£10.99)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Drinkbox Studios) - €5.59/£4.79 (Normally €13.99/£11.99)Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward) - €6.79/£6.39 (Normally €16.99/£15.99)

these could really be mine at those prices.
still waiting for a deal on Affordable space adventures

repeater

14 Wii U titles presented by 7 studios from 6 countries are on sale on Nintendo eShop in the Epic Indie Sale. If you own one or more of following titles on your Wii U, you can download the others at a discounted rate. This offer ends on July 23.
Wait, am I reading this incorrectly, or is the whole sale conditional on you already owning one of the games in the list??

Robin64

Wait, am I reading this incorrectly, or is the whole sale conditional on you already owning one of the games in the list??

That's right.

So if you don't own any, get EDGE, or RUSH or Toki Tori. Those are €1.99/£1.79 at full price but will qualify you for the whole sale.

also

Banned
Already got both Toki Tori games and Guacamelee, so maybe I'll get Shantae and the Mighty Switch games.
How's Giana Sisters?
My backlog continues to grow.

Lol. How fucking stupid is this?! And considering it's an "epic" indie sale, there's not really a lot there. Looks like a normal week of discounts on other digital platforms.

repeater

That's right.

So if you don't own any, get EDGE, or RUSH or Toki Tori. Those are €1.99/£1.79 at full price but will qualify you for the whole sale.

Lol. How fucking stupid is this?! And considering it's an "epic" indie sale, there's not really a lot there. Looks like a normal week of discounts on other digital platforms.
Yeah, I've got to say this strikes be as a bit backwards. The sales prices are nice, but they're not so spectacular as to warrant these kinds of restrictions.

jeffers

It's a fine concept to encourage you to buy something at full price for once, though a little undermined by the really cheap titles.

fernoca

A similar sale is done in the NA eShop at least once every year as the 'Super Indie Connection Sale'.

That's outside the regular sales, but just the whole "get a discount if you own any of this" sale.

Felensis

Banned
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games) - €4.79/£3.99 (Normally €11.99/£9.99)
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Drinkbox Studios) - €5.59/£4.79 (Normally €13.99/£11.99)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward) - €6.79/£6.39 (Normally €16.99/£15.99)
Swords & Soldiers (Two Tribes Publishing) - €1.19/£0.99 (Normally €2.99/£2.69)
Toki Tori (Two Tribes Publishing) - €0.79/£0.69 (Normally €1.99/£1.79)

HOLY SHiiiiiiiieeeeeT!! This compensates the missed Humble Nindie Bundle a bit for Europe. Will get the ones shown in the quote for sure!
I already have Giana Sisters, Toki Tori 2 and Trine for example, so I'm qualified for the sale ^^

Yeah, I've got to say this strikes be as a bit backwards. The sales prices are nice, but they're not so spectacular as to warrant these kinds of restrictions.

Yeah, this is really dumb. Idiotic marketing trick to get you to buy more. "This game is only two euros so I'll just get it to enter the sale" is exactly what they want you to say, but of course people fall for it.

And no Swords & Soldiers 2 :( It's all I wanted.

I still don't get why prices are so high compared to everywhere else on the eshop, this sale is just awful, even without the needing to already own at least one title silliness.

In fact aren't the developers themselves able to set their prices on Nintendo platforms? If so, why do they rip off Nintendo only customers?

Phamit

A similar sale is done in the NA eShop at least once every year as the 'Super Indie Connection Sale'.

That's outside the regular sales, but just the whole "get a discount if you own any of this" sale.

This type of sale isn't new for the EU as well, it happened several time already

Lutherian

Shantae Pirate's Curse is a must have (the 3D effect on 3DS is just AMAZING, even on 2D characters).

So please, close your gentle mouth and take thy money.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How many Wiimotes/controllers are needed for Spin the Bottle multiplayer fun ?

wrowa

I still don't get why prices are so high compared to everywhere else on the eshop, this sale is just awful, even without the needing to already own at least one title silliness.

In fact aren't the developers themselves able to set their prices on Nintendo platforms? If so, why do they rip off Nintendo only customers?

Which games do you think are too expensive? Checked the prices for a couple games between the eShop and Steam and they were the same across the board. Runner 2 and EDGE are even cheaper on the eShop than on Steam.

Runner 2 - 12€ eShop, 14€ Steam
EDGE - 2€, 7€
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - 15€, 15€
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - 14€ , 14€
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - 10€, 10€
Trine 2 - 17€, 17€

Was too lazy to compare the rest of the titles.

Oppo

this "sale" just seems to draw attention to their shop / catalog / pricing issues. the qualifying game thing is quite weird.

this "sale" just seems to draw attention to their shop / catalog / pricing issues. the qualifying game thing is quite weird.
To be fair they are doing this for what, the 11th time now? Indies on eshop seem to stick together. Just look at the latest runbow trailer.

Oregano

People do realise that these publicised sales aren't the only ones going on on the eshop right?

IIRC the EU 3DS eshop currently has three pages of games on sale.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
First Xeodrifter on the EU store, and now this.

Thanks, Santa!

Which games do you think are too expensive? Checked the prices for a couple games between the eShop and Steam and they were the same across the board. Runner 2 and EDGE are even cheaper on the eShop than on Steam.

Runner 2 - 12€ eShop, 14€ Steam
EDGE - 2€, 7€
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - 15€, 15€
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - 14€ , 14€
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - 10€, 10€
Trine 2 - 17€, 17€

Was too lazy to compare the rest of the titles.

I was referring to sale prices. Normal prices are pretty standard across the board for indies. Sure, PC price cuts are always deeper, but even compared to the the other consoles, Nintendo sales are always terrible.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It can use 4 wiimotes in addition to the gamepad but I think you only need 1 to play.

So you would have to pass around the Wiimota aka. there is no game that needs you to use multiple Wiimotes at the same time ? Only have 2 Wiimotes right but been thinking of picking this up as a drinking game down the line.

If this comes to the US, I'll get Shantae. I've only played the original GBC game on the 3DS Virtual Console and loved it to death.

it's finally time for me to get guacamelee

If you like Metroid, you'll love it. There are many metroidvanias on the market, but this one really has a soul.

Oberon

Banned
Wow, great. I just recently bought Shantae for full price!
I have really bad luck, first the whole DMC 4 SE thing and now this

also

Banned
I was referring to sale prices. Normal prices are pretty standard across the board for indies. Sure, PC price cuts are always deeper, but even compared to the the other consoles, Nintendo sales are always terrible.

Nintendo takes the standard 30% cut but at least 15% of your maximum price (30% of half the price). So the more you discount above 50%, the less you get
For example, if your game costs 10€, Nintendo will at minimum take 1,5 €. If you decide to do a 70% of sale and price your game at 3€, you will only see 1,5€ instead of 2,1 that you would get if the standard 30% cut was in place. If you do 80% off, you will only see 0,5€. If you do a 90% sale you will actually lose money, lol.
Nintendo doesn't really believe in sales because they devalue games. Though given that NoA actually partnered with humble bundle, things might change.

flowsnake

People do realise that these publicised sales aren't the only ones going on on the eshop right?

This is about the sales starting this week. Aren't those the ones ending this week?

What's the problem?
Simply put, the Wii U sucks. I don't wanna spend money on a game that'll sit on a system I don't like playing. I don't like the eShop, account system or the system overall. I'd happily buy Shantae on anything else but this.

If you like Metroid, you'll love it. There are many metroidvanias on the market, but this one really has a soul.
Damn right. So funny and full of character. So enjoyable to play! Fun and easy co-op combo system too! Well worth buying!

The Boat

I already have guacamelee on steam and ps3, but I'm honestly tempted to get it, since it's more practical to play it on the Wii U.

Tizoc

None of which are worth my money :V
uNLESS there's a new set of discounted games?

PetrCobra

Already have a few of these, and I don't want to buy any new games until maybe the Devil's Third, but seriously, at that price, I'll probably finally try Swords & Soldiers.

Simply put, the Wii U sucks. I don't wanna spend money on a game that'll sit on a system I don't like playing. I don't like the eShop, account system or the system overall. I'd happily buy Shantae on anything else but this.

What.

Nintendo takes the standard 30% cut but at least 15% of your maximum price (30% of half the price). So the more you discount above 50%, the less you get
For example, if your game costs 10€, Nintendo will at minimum take 1,5 €. If you decide to do a 70% of sale and price your game at 3€, you will only see 1,5€ instead of 2,1 that you would get if the standard 30% cut was in place. If you do 80% off, you will only see 0,5€. If you do a 90% sale you will actually lose money, lol.
Nintendo doesn't really believe in sales because they devalue games. Though given that NoA actually partnered with humble bundle, things might change.

I take it that's not the case on Playstation and Xbox then? Kind of sucky of Nintendo if so.

They really need to get over the whole idea of sales devaluing software too. There's plenty of games I've bought the sequels too at full price because of how much I loved them, that I'd only bought because they were dirt cheap in sales. Plus, given Nintendo's dwindling customer base and new third party software releases, they've clearly lost the arguement over how best to price games.

But yeah, the humble bundle was a fantastic move by them, so hopefully not a one off, and gets brought over to the EU too.

Top Bottom