• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic knows PS4/NEXTXBOX specs - [Giving recommendations w/ commercial mindedness]

Angry Fork

If graphics don't get a huge improvement in the next gen consoles, then what the fuck is the point of making them? We may as well stay with our current gen until Sony and MS find it economically viable to make consoles with vastly improved graphics.

Why are there people in this thread actively rooting for a new gen with marginal graphical improvement?

Because they're more concerned with how much money the company makes then their own interests.

I really don't get it at all. If it's about cost then just stick with what you have. Either go hard or go home. New consoles are going to be expensive that's just the way it is.

I don't want Avatar in real time. I want great experiences, not a graphics showoff.

I want both, which is possible with higher end tech.

Then you should get a gaming PC. You aren't going to get it from Sony and Microsoft, not in this economy and not with the Wii getting the kind of audience it did last go around with incredibly old hardware.

Hell, even most GAFers seem to not care about really powerful hardware if this thread is any indication.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying amazing visuals now and without cramming it into a tiny box that leads to the kind of overheating problems that caused the huge failure rate last gen.

Up until last year I was a console only gamer, now I don't even know that there is anything either Sony or Microsoft could do to win me back. I've come to love cheap awesome games on Steam and I seriously doubt that whatever the specs end up being, my current PC is probably already more powerful.

I have a gaming PC but I keep PS3 for it's exclusives. I would like a huge tech oriented PS4 for it's exclusives too.

"Cleaning the IQ up to absolute perfection" alone requires a huge leap over the current consoles. And that's keeping everything else exactly the same.

It doesn't require a "quantum leap" though.

Because they're more concerned with how much money the company makes then their own interests.

I really don't get it at all. If it's about cost then just stick with what you have. Either go hard or go home. New consoles are going to be expensive that's just the way it is.

Do you really want a $600-800 console? That's what a quantum leap will cost at minimum.

Kunan

Better hardware doesn't hurt game companies in the least. Many small developers flourish on the platform with the most powerful hardware.
What about devs that don't want to make small games? The bar will be raised so high they can't possibly compete. Let's just completely kill off the rest of the mid tier developers while we're at it. They just want everyone to have to buy their engine to compete.

Orayn

I'll take shorter dev cycles, more games, more niche genres, and more developers than having more realistic graphics.

You'll get yearly CoD installments, THE BEST GRAFICS, no niche genres, and more great devs biting the dust in the name of AAA blockbusters. Are you fucking pumped for this shit?

Durante

I'll take shorter dev cycles, more games, more niche genres, and more developers than having more realistic graphics.
None of the things you mention is inherently negatively impacted by more powerful hardware. PC has more developers, more games, more niche genres and the most powerful hardware.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Epic is stupid. If they make consoles that gives graphics near Avatar levels, how expensive and huge are these consoles going to be? 2x the size of a Xbox for 1000$? How long are games going to take to develop? How much money will developpers have to spend to make a game?

Erethian

Well, their self-interest is likely to prove extremely damaging to the very industry they need to sell their fancy new engine to - both with respect to escalating budgets and with respect to higher console launch prices slowing adoption of the very hardware that will run their engine - so it seems pretty myopic on their part.

Wouldn't be the first time a company failed to take a long-term view. Though they seem aware enough to be diversifying their product support so they've got an escape route, as it were, if everything goes tits up.

Shambles

Just having most games play at 1080P at a solid 60 fps (Hell let's be real here, even a solid 30 fps) would be a quantum leap. I could see Microsoft putting more muscle into their machine but after the PS3 I don't see sony doing anything besides pulling a 'Wii' this next time around.

This puts Sony & MS in something of a dilemma. If one of them capitulates and the other doesn't, will that affect the level of support that Epic provides? Will it make one of them look 'cool' and the other look 'stingy'?
Apparently Wii U doesn't support UE4, and if any of the remaining one doesn't, it means their lobbying have failed; they will have to dumb down the engine to make the games portable to the other too

So it should be both

A mediocre upgrade, the same old IP's and a continued insistence upon 'alternate revenue streams' may well do exactly the same thing. Might as well go out looking at nice graphics.

All of it is a gamble. But at least my way isn't forcing consoles along a completely unsustainable trail. Today they can't compete with top end PC's. You aren't going to be able to fit quad GPU designs into a console. Until you can fit such tech into a console, at the same energy usage of a PC, with a similar case size, we will never have consoles that can compete.

They will always be based on moderate parts, with moderate energy and heat usage.

I'm trying to get consoles away from a losing battle before they price themselves out of the market completely. The markets price of entry for a console doesn't seem to be over $399. PS3's had incredibly slow growth in America until they'd dropped to that barrier.

Consoles can't compete, and this past time they tried we saw incredibly slow market adoption. Either the market is going to have to change and accept $399 and over consoles, or we are going to have to change our perception of a generational change.

Mr Swine

Banned
Some part of me wants this to fail horribly so that Sony and MS learn that not to listen to Epic or other devs, so that they want more powerful hardware that drives up the cost of making games. The other part of me wants them to succeed.

Majanew

Banned
Someone needs to get a hold of higher res versions of those UE4 screens.

UE4:

unreal_engine_4_1.jpg

1-D_FTW

What about devs that don't want to make small games? The bar will be raised so high they can't possibly compete. Let's just completely kill off the rest of the mid tier developers while we're at it.

Small games = small budgets? I don't know that I agree with that statement. And, besides, it's moot. It's already happened. This is about making sure the premium companies like Epic, Activision, EA still have hardware that can dazzle consumers enough to get them to continue parting with their 60 dollars. It's basically an effort to keep the 60 dollar AAA tier from suffering the same fate as the middle tier on consoles.

I am not satisfied by the quality of visuals on console games these days. Art direction has been amazing in many of the big blockbuster games but I/Q(resolution & anti-aliasing) and shadows have been so bad in so many console games that it makes me want to barf. I'm tired of playing games like that and if we don't get a major boost we are still going to have those same problems. Compromise after compromise is what we get and with such a low bar set even with a beastly PC you aren't always able to clean up the image of a console port to a good I/Q level.

I feel that many of the people who wish for cheaper specs won't even buy the console within the first year or until they drop in price. I'm actually going to go out and buy the console launch day but I don't want it to be a mild upgrade. That's not going to justify me spending 499.99+tax or 699.99+tax at launch.

An engine guy will always ask for more power... and a hardware maker will always want less cost.

... what was the point of this thread again?

Oh yeah, EPIC's PR team are doing an amazing job of positioning them as the 'champion' of real next gen gaming.

GDGF

Soothsayer

What if they're more concerned about a company's continuing existence so they will still be around to make games? Wouldn't that be in the best interests of a gamer?

The next generation is going to be a huge improvement, I just don't want it to be a needlessly expensive one.

You're deluded if you think we're just talking about the difference between a $300 console and a $400 one.

Here is the thing though, no matter what the initial cost, the tech will become cheap within a couple of years. That is why it is a good idea to invest in the better hardware.

I think what will happen with MS anyway is that they will offer as subscription model to an improved version of Xbox Live (TV channels etc) that will subsidize the console price.

So you'll pay maybe $199 or $299 and buy a 2 year subscription plan.

There will of course be an option to buy it outright but it will be the minority. Just like there are a billion Iphones out there but almost nobody buys it outright. Everybody buys a contract plan instead. Same thing will happen with the next consoles.

That is the smart way for them to have their cake and eat it too.

Then it's dead. And there's nothing wrong with it. Consoles have served their purposes and aside from Nintendo exclusives, aren't needed any longer.

I'm just saying I understand where the fear is coming from. 60 dollars games are not a sustainable business. And it's going to get worse with each passing year. The only hope, and it's a miniscule one, is that the graphical leap is so much further than competing platforms, they can pull another generation of premium prices off.

I'm not saying I think it'll work, just that I understand the desperate logic of it.
Then the console market is dead.

They can't compete with top-end tech by their very design. The only thing they can hope for is software and services making them an integral part of the mass markets entertainment plans.

Erethian

Better hardware doesn't hurt game companies in the least. Many small developers flourish on the platform with the most powerful hardware.

Too powerful hardware can stifle consumer uptake on hardware and result in developers and publishers having to squeeze more money out of each consumer, though.

Microsoft and Sony, in the current climate, should be targetting $350 hardware as a maximum, honestly. Then it's up to them how much money they can afford to lose on each unit sold, and choose their specs around that.

What about devs that don't want to make small games? The bar will be raised so high they can't possibly compete. Let's just completely kill off the rest of the mid tier developers while we're at it. They just want everyone to have to buy their engine to compete.

Correct.

Ponn

Banned
Thats always been the most disturbing difference between "console" game developers and "PC" game developers to me. Now that their so close its bleeding over. What happened to being smarter about your developing and programming, being more creative and getting every last ounce of juice out of the machine. There is a reason why at the end of the consoles life games look better then launch games. Yet instead of enjoying them or letting us enjoy them they want to skip right into the next console.

Then theres the lazy developers, lets make everything bloated and just whine we need 8 gigs of ram and the newest tech to hide our lazy programming. In the end the consumers paying for that and only a handful of these developers are using all that tech, or in the case of next gen able to afford to use it. These companies have piss poor track records of thinking about the future or their actions.

There's already a market for the hardware dependent lazy programming, its the PC. You get all your FPS and the best graphics to your heart content without having to worry about constraints. Console gaming should stay a separate ecosystem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sort of understand Epic's point, and it makes me worried about what we'll get, and hopeful that perhaps one of the console makers might go for it to look for a competitive advantage.

But so much of that quote reads like they have an overblown sense of entitlement and self-image

ismk

I am actually happy to hear that Epic is disappointed with "next-gen" tech. If Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo want more profit and be competitive to not only each other but also Apple and Google, they need to release consoles at a lower price point especially at launch.

It's always fun to see how far graphics can go but that's what a PC is for. The big three are companies need to go with economical flow, and from the sounds of it, that's exactly what they will be doing next gen, at least that's what I hope.

Well, i'll assume it since I still expect the PS4 and the next Xbox to be big leaps over the current gen systems. But I don't expect them to put 8 gigs of ram in either of them. Neither of those companies want to go through another generation where they're losing money for the majority of it. Epic will suck it up and take whatever Sony and MS decide to release because they'll have no choice.

To get "big leaps" over current gen, you can't expect a cheap system. It's naive to want big leaps, but not fork out the cash for it. If all the talk is true, that MS and Sony don't want get into that hole again, their next consoles won't deliver the visuals we'd expect nowadays.

To get big leaps, you have to pay big leaps. Samaritan and UE4 are big leaps. CryEngine 3 with all the bells and whistles enabled is a big leap. MS and Sony should listen to Epic if we're to get those leaps.

We'd be stuck with 256mb of ram in our 360s if it weren't for Epic.

salpa

Banned
I hate that people use quantum leap like this. Anyways I hope that MS and sony listen to Epic and make beast consoles. I doubt they will though.

But it is accurate to use it.

A quantum leap skips the middle-ground and goes instantly from one point to the next. Epic is defining point A as now, and point B as the "real" next gen. They do not want there to be a middle, a transition or a stop-gap. The only caveat is that this is not happening in sub-atomic space, but then again, figurative expressions like this are never meant to be taken literally.

But on the topic: I fail to see how this will help anyone but engine developers. A lot of companies are having hard times now. If MS and Sony go this route, unless there are some superb dev tools, I imagine many smaller devs might develop for the Wii U only. It will be an HD machine without breaking the bank.

I have a gaming PC but I keep PS3 for it's exclusives. I would like a huge tech oriented PS4 for it's exclusives too.

There are definitely still exclusive IPS on all three consoles that I would like to play. In fact, Nintendo, surprisingly, is the one I'm actually considering most because I would like to play their exclusives now that they at least won't be a blurry mess. I could deal with Nintendo games that are the equivalent of 360 or PS3 graphics, I think.

However, in reality, I don't need any of them. There are more PC games than I can ever play. I have about 2 dozen awesome games sitting my Steam library right now that I've barely touched (and I've played through a lot of PC games in the last year).

It used to be that gamers needed to own all the platforms to always have quality games to play. Nowdays that simply isn't true. It's impossible to play everything anyway and any one platform has more than enough. I think I could easily go for just PC gaming alone. Especially if the current trend of formerly console only like games like Dark Souls continue to coming to PC. Rayman and Dark Souls are the only two games I played on consoles last year for any extended amounts of time.

Zoe

If graphics don't get a huge improvement in the next gen consoles, then what the fuck is the point of making them? We may as well stay with our current gen until Sony and MS find it economically viable to make consoles with vastly improved graphics.

Why are there people in this thread actively rooting for a new gen with marginal graphical improvement?

Graphics are the only thing that can be improved?

KKRT00

Yea, they will. It's gone up exponentially every gen (much more so this gen).

Saying it won't cost much more to produce ignores the reality of the console gaming market.

Because old gens were big leaps in terms of technology.
2D->some 3D->full scale 3D, advanced lighting->shaders, motion capture, full voice acting, high res models and textures that are downsampled for maintaining framerate.

But new gen will be about using those advanced assets in their full potential and better lighting, interaction etc. It wont increase cost exponentially, because there is no planned feature to do so [like full voice acting or million poly models].
They are already making games like CG movies, with almost the same technology.

Guys think first, comment later, because we will just repeat the same argument over and over in every page.

Angry Fork

What if they're more concerned about a company's continuing existence so they will still be around to make games? Wouldn't that be in the best interests of a gamer?

It's not going to be the same increase as this gen because it'll still be 720p/1080p (hopefully). It's not like it's going ultra HD or anything. The jump from SD to HD is what seemed to really hurt a lot of companies. But some have gotten on fine and we've gotten more amazing experiences than ever. It's not just about graphics but physics scale animations etc. all that stuff. I want more more not 'meh good enough' otherwise don't bother upgrading at all.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow, I'm shocked at their being such a large portion of GAF who don't want this.

Wow.

Because a console that can give graphics near Avatar will surely be sold for a reasonable price am i right? Nothing will ever go wrong am i right?

Don't get me wrong, we ALL want consoles that can do something like that, but we're not there yet. At least, not in a way where everyone can get it for a decent price.

Quazar

People are easily baited by these news outlets.

I mean come on : "We're much more in sync with the console makers than any other developer is. That means we can give detailed recommendations with a complete understanding of what is going to be commercially possible."

To this from Eurogamer: Apparently Epic has seen the specs of the PS4 and next Xbox and is "actively lobbying" for them to be more powerful.

Critical thinking and reading skills go out the window in this thread. Bunch of fishes.

Krakatoa

This is why I believe Cloud gaming is the future...Cheaper costs and your console will never be outdated.

I still have a feeling MS will release a cloud box.

To get "big leaps" over current gen, you can't expect a cheap system. It's naive to want big leaps, but not fork out the cash for it. If all the talk is true, that MS and Sony don't want get into that hole again, their next consoles won't deliver the visuals we'd expect nowadays.

I think most are expecting next gen machines to cost $400, and i'm completely fine and even happy with that. It's when you start getting into the $500+ range that you start turning people off. I don't see why we couldn't have a very powerful console at a $400 price range.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How long are games going to take to develop? How much money will developpers have to spend to make a game?

That depends on software competition.

It is not, IMO, the job of the platform holder to try and lowest-common denominator everyone via hardware in order to suppress technical competition and the costs that may be incurred as a result.

More hardware power, better engines, better tools, will only make it easier and cheaper to achieve a given result. If the standard for results rises its because pubs are willing to make those investments. If the investments are too big, the pubs will fail in their efforts, and they'll row back their investments. They'll find a spot where they can make it work. If investments continue to grow it's because they're getting a return. If some pubs are willing to take smaller margins to deliver me more ambitious games than another, and the market favours the former, then it's just tough luck for the latter. They're not up to scratch. They can compete at another end of the market if they want, where they'll actually find it cheaper to make games because of that better hardware.

The platform holder should balance power with cost in order to be able to sell a machine at a reasonable price. But within that constraint, IMO, they should put as much power as they can in there. Expect more. You're not shareholders of pubs who're worried they won't be able to compete for $60 on better hardware (I presume).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why are we worrying about the manufacturers by the way? Why do we care if it costs them a couple hundred more to make a console? Thats how its worked in the past and they can make it work now - MS have things like LIVE fees, and you cost engineer anyway, so those subsidies are only for the first year or two, where your volumes aren't that high. By the time you're hitting the mainstream, you want a break-even console.

Durante

Wow, I'm shocked at their being such a large portion of GAF who don't want this.
I'm not. The amount of subtle (and not-so-subtle) lobbying against high-end gaming over the past years has been staggering, particularly on this forum. Unsurprisingly, it started when Nintendo released the Wii. I can't recall gamers on message boards worrying incessantly about development costs before that.

I wonder how different this thread would be had that never happened.

Top Bottom