• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mega Sale now live (recurring $10 coupons)

Epic has to be losing money on some of these sales right?
I guess you could say they are making Tencent on the dollar.

Old Lady Reaction GIF

HoleinOne

Neo Member
It's not Steam.

All these moral reasons about buying exclusivity are bullshit. When a publisher only put their own game on their own store, they got just as mad and screamed boycott. (Even though that is exactly what Valve did when they launched Steam)

My only issue with EGS is that the client is still too kludgy and feature-poor. Not that Steam's anything amazing in terms of performance, either, but at least it's got a bunch of useful stuff to make up for it.

buenoblue

They absolutely do, which is a bit amusing on its own, but that's irrelevant to me.
I just don't want to legitimate their existence and their shitty service., so they can fuck off with their predatory pricing.

There are alternatives that are even cheaper and offer pretty much the same value as Epic does, after all. If not better.

I'm old enough to remember when Steam would have been science fiction as I'm 43 and I've been playing on PC since the late '80s and I can tell you this narrative is 95% bullshit.
Aside from being a precursor in the digital market so having hardly anything to compare with, 90% of the original rage against Steam came from two categories: people who were livid they couldn't play their pirated copy of Counter-Strike anymore and people with a 56K dial-up connection that had issues activating HL2 at launch.
And keeping up to date HL 1, 2 and CS is pretty much most of what Steam did for a good while, and even THEN it was a net step up from the bullshit we had before (having to hunt down patches individually across the web, queuing on services like fileplanet to download them, having the horrendous Sierra InUtilities to deal with for HL1, etc, etc).

Steam didn't really start selling third party software until a good two-three years later, with Ragdoll Kung Fu, Arx Fatalis and few other niche precursors and it started improving steadily and being ahead of the curve since then.

Also, if anything people should have "loyalty" toward themselves and maybe even a bit of dignity, doing their own best interest in the long term instead of allowing any newcomer to steadily fuck them in the ass for a glimpse of short term convenience.
As I said elsewhere, I'm not really into the mentality of "sucking cocks in exchange of goodies is cool" and I don't plan to make creepy uncle Timmy my sugar daddy in exchange of a bunch of freebies.

Ok dude. I have nothing against steam, I have hundreds of games on the platform but saying there wasn't a backlash against steam is not true. People were free to buy there games and install and do with them what they wanted, steam was, and still is, a form of drm and the free market that was the pc platform rebbeled against that.

The hate for epic games is just like console warring. If you don't like it that's fine don't use it.

The devs always have a choice to not take exclusivity and put there games where they want. Epic is not forcing them. Devs are choosing to take that route and the monetarybcompensation that goes with it. Maybe people should be mad at the devs not at epic, as it's ultimately the devs choice.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i got kingdom of amalur for a tenner or whatever that game is called it looked dope

and snagged baldurs gate alliance on switch i had a giftgard so don't hate me

Last edited:

Jag

Got SpellForce 3: Fallen God for £4.34. Was apparently good value at full price and I enjoyed the other ones so worth a punt.

Fallen God is weird but fun. Similar gameplay with some interesting twists. The Troll faction makes it really interesting and different. I didn't think I would like it, but I really enjoyed it after giving it a chance.

Last edited:

mxbison

My only issue with EGS is that the client is still too kludgy and feature-poor. Not that Steam's anything amazing in terms of performance, either, but at least it's got a bunch of useful stuff to make up for it.

Yeah I agree. The big ones missing for me are proper controller support and Big Picture mode, those are excellent on Steam.

But apart from that EGS has been fine for me and they have really good offers. The hate is pretty much just fanboy warring at this point.

No way there would be this much backlash if Steam had paid for exclusivity...

pr0cs

Want to get Days Gone and the EGS coupon is tempting but I have a few games eating up my free time already so I'll probably pass. Normally I'll use the coupon though.

skneogaf

I can see the steam fanatics are against this thing.

I got nba for free which gave me a £10 voucher so I bought days gone which gave me a £10 voucher so I bought the mafia collection.

Take that store front fanatics

Amory

I love all the free shit epic gives out. Picked up the Kingdom hearts collection and will probably get at least one other game with the recurring coupons. They can't do this type of thing forever but I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

Top Bottom