• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 and Epic Mickey: The Power Of Illusion (3DS) Review Thread

The Boat

Those early (pre-first game) concept art sketches promised so much... :(

These ones:

2hi022s.jpg

epicmickey072904.jpg

epicmickey072903.jpg

Can't help to laugh remembering the slaughter that was that Epic Mickey thread filled with port begging.
Getting excited about concept art is always a bad idea.

Even though the first game did not review that will it sold over 2 million copies so I guess this one will do fine?

Will pick up both of the games once they are cheaper.

Gomu Gomu

These ones:

Can't help to laugh remembering the slaughter that was that Epic Mickey thread filled with port begging.

Here's an interesting tidbit: The guy, who came up with the original concept of Epic Micky was Sean Vanaman. He talks about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uMxmjuzc7jY It's an interesting story. Worth listening to, imo.
He recently got his big break and became co-lead designer/writer for The Walking Dead game. His game is one of the biggest nominations for this year's GOTY awards.
Too bad no one will know that he came up with the brilliant concept/story of Epic Mickey, aka the only good part about it.

Kilrathi

What has gone wrong?
It play fine at E3 2012 when I played. I ran into the Disney team at alot at the Hilton at Universal City.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad i cancelled my preorder.
I feel sorry for Spector, maybe he just couldn't keep up with modern day gameplay.

Corto

Here's an interesting tidbit: The guy, who came up with the original concept of Epic Micky was Sean Vanaman. He talks about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uMxmjuzc7jY It's an interesting story. Worth listening to, imo.
He recently got his big break and became co-lead designer/writer for The Walking Dead game. His game is one of the biggest nominations for this year's GOTY awards.
Too bad no one will know that he came up with the brilliant concept/story of Epic Mickey, aka the only good part about it.

I'm an Idle Thumbs listener and I didn't remember that! Thanks for that. Now I'm even more sad that that concept was put to sleep.

Lijik

According to the Jim Sterling review, only the Mad Doctor has songs.
Cant believe they tried hyping this as an actual musical if true.

Aru

Well, at least the EM2 demo was a pretty good warning about the final game:
- slow camera speed
- terrible move controls
- boring gameplay

Tried the X360 demo last night and couldn't finish it. Just not fun or engaging in the slightest and I got to a part where Oswald was supposed to reboot a generator but just stood around saying "I can do this!" for about five minutes until I finally quit. A 2/10 might be pretty harsh but the review is dead on from just what little I played.

Lijik

Well, at least the EM2 demo was a pretty good warning about the final game:
- slow camera speed
- terrible move controls
- boring gameplay
Jesus, the slow camera speed was a big problem in EM 1 too. I always felt like itd mask some of its problems if the damn thing responded quicker.

I just really dont get how so many of these things went unfixed.

Guess it's back to playing Mickey Mania and watching Fantasia for this disappointed Mickeyite.

Both had so much potential! Power of Illusion could have continued the long-running trend of fantastic 2D Mickey games, and Epic Mickey 2 could have built on the flaws of EM1 and made an excellent Disney platformer. Both look naff though. Can't wait for the TV series and line of toys... oh wait, that was only going to happen if the games weren't shit.

These ones:

2hi022s.jpg

epicmickey072904.jpg

epicmickey072903.jpg

That was never what the firggin game was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a love letter to fans of Ub Iwerks and his contributions to Disney, such as firggin CREATING Mickey Mouse and hand-animating his cartoons alone in a room for weeks.

That was never what the firggin game was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a love letter to fans of Ub Iwerks and his contributions to Disney, such as firggin CREATING Mickey Mouse and hand-animating his cartoons alone in a room for weeks.

Yeah I agree anybody wanting H.R. Giger's Disney were idiots, and I'd argue not massive fans of Mickey or Disney in the first place.

Regardless of the art style, the thing could have been cel shaded with Mickey in bright pink, it still didn't have to be a terrible game. If it looked like a surrealist's wet dream, it would still be an awful game.

Zaventem

Hahaha and people were actually hoping this would be good.It kinda hurts because i forsee terrible star wars gaming coming now that Disney owns the franchise.

Mr. F

Banned
Bummer about the scores but its hardly surprising. Played the demo last week co-op with a friend and the experience was really frustrating. The game does a really bad job of communicating what your objective is, which left us wandering around a lot until we stumbled into some forward progression.

As others have said, its damned tragic that this brilliant concept has been completely squandered.

Eusis

You mean that one time. The guy gets way more credit than he's actually earned.
I seem to recall Ultima Underworld being very well liked and one of the most influential RPGs made, but either that means he's simply best with more serious first person adventures, or it means he's just a key component of a great team, but without that great team he doesn't really shine.

Actually, that's probably true of most developers unless they literally make the game all by themselves or with one or two other people (Team Meat and 2D Boy stick out), like I noted in the other Epic Mickey thread (I think) you see a lot of these prestigious people leave their original companies and either make nothing good (John Romero) or their games are still good but nowhere near the heights their names were associated with before (Mistwalker).

AwRy108

Anyone want to buy the 3DS version off of me for $30 shipped? It's still sealed. I accept PayPal. PM me if you're interested.

I beat Power of Illusion in 3 hours and 12 minutes. The demo is misleading because it gives you a lot of sidequests that are from later in the game, there are not that many that fast when you play it. There are only 11 stages and 3 bosses. Just Intro castle, London skies peter pan, neverland jungle peter pan, captain hook's ship peter pan, captain hook boss. Next castle stage, Agrabah Aladdin, Cave of Wonders Aladdin, Deeper Cave Aladdin, Jafar snake boss. Underwater Castle stage, Little Mermaid ocean stage, Eric's Castle Little Mermaid, then crappy locked room enemy gauntlet ripped straight from Henry Hatsworth before fighting Misrabel which is Maleficent Dragon. I'm spoiling everything to spare you. It sucks. Don't buy it.

ntropy

implementing the spirit of the concept art of EM, i suspect, got focus-grouped into oblivion - ironically as "too dark"

Kazerei

Banned
I beat Power of Illusion in 3 hours and 12 minutes. The demo is misleading because it gives you a lot of sidequests that are from later in the game, there are not that many that fast when you play it. There are only 11 stages and 3 bosses. Just Intro castle, London skies peter pan, neverland jungle peter pan, captain hook's ship peter pan, captain hook boss. Next castle stage, Agrabah Aladdin, Cave of Wonders Aladdin, Deeper Cave Aladdin, Jafar snake boss. Underwater Castle stage, Little Mermaid ocean stage, Eric's Castle Little Mermaid, then crappy locked room enemy gauntlet ripped straight from Henry Hatsworth before fighting Misrabel which is Maleficent Dragon. I'm spoiling everything to spare you. It sucks. Don't buy it.

Thanks. I was wondering about the flurry of sidequests in the demo.

No Ursula boss, even?

Xander51

Thank you! A shame to hear it has so few stages.

Aaron

I seem to recall Ultima Underworld being very well liked and one of the most influential RPGs made, but either that means he's simply best with more serious first person adventures, or it means he's just a key component of a great team, but without that great team he doesn't really shine.
Playing Ultima Underworld when it was released it was a good game, but not all that special. There was a ton of first person RPGs at the time, and while it had freer movement I was more interested in games that were more mechanically dense. So maybe due to the way I experienced it, I don't give the credit it deserves, but it was more of a progression of existing concepts than a revolution.

hitmon

Crap my order has shipped...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You just saved me $30.

I'll wait for cheap.

Ranger X

Hahaha and people were actually hoping this would be good.It kinda hurts because i forsee terrible star wars gaming coming now that Disney owns the franchise.

Well, by the LOOKS of it there was a chance the 3DS game would be good. Looks like we haven't been lucky!

I got this as the second title at toys r us deal for the wii u.....Will take it back tomorrow morning and get my money back. Funny how there is no good game to get as the second 40% off title.

Still i am glad i did not open this shit.

vareon

Wait, so those shallow side quests weren't only a beginning side quests, but quests you get later in the game?

DocSeuss

You mean that one time. The guy gets way more credit than he's actually earned.

The guy worked on Thief, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex... which one time were you referring to?

I think his problem is that he is not well suited to designing platformers. His strength was in first person simulation while working on smallish teams. The whole giant 700-800 person teams doing 3D platformers just isn't him, even if he is a big Disney fan.

zashga

Harsh. Both of these devs seemed really passionate about their projects, so it's sad to see them fall flat.

AwShucks

One of my former coworkers and best friends works at Junction Point so I'm even more disappointed by these scores. I'll still buy it on BF to support him though.

Top Bottom