• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 and Epic Mickey: The Power Of Illusion (3DS) Review Thread

Katzii

I beat Power of Illusion in 3 hours and 12 minutes. The demo is misleading because it gives you a lot of sidequests that are from later in the game, there are not that many that fast when you play it. There are only 11 stages and 3 bosses. Just Intro castle, London skies peter pan, neverland jungle peter pan, captain hook's ship peter pan, captain hook boss. Next castle stage, Agrabah Aladdin, Cave of Wonders Aladdin, Deeper Cave Aladdin, Jafar snake boss. Underwater Castle stage, Little Mermaid ocean stage, Eric's Castle Little Mermaid, then crappy locked room enemy gauntlet ripped straight from Henry Hatsworth before fighting Misrabel which is Maleficent Dragon. I'm spoiling everything to spare you. It sucks. Don't buy it.

Some spoiler tags might have been nice instead of telling people every single thing that happens in the game. Believe it or not, some people might actually want to buy it still.

Velcro Fly

yeah i'm definitely not wasting my time with the 3DS version. Sounds like a game that is about 33% finished. Really sad.

Cheska

My order shipped before I could cancel it and I'm not sure I want to go through the whole return process. I don't mind the short length or repetitive gameplay but its some of the reports of difficulty spikes near the end that worry me. Can anyone confirm if its really game breaking or if its manageable?

JRW

God damn, Gamecentral dumped on Epic Mickey 2 from the highest heights imaginable

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/918435-epic-mickey-the-power-of-2-review-epic-fail

Quite relieved it's not out in europe yet. Time to cancel my preorder.

I'm playing through Wii version (about 10 hours so far) and I wouldn't say its THAT bad, But It definitely has more issues than the first Epic Mickey which is a shame. The not so smart companion AI presents a new set of problems although I haven't come across anything game breaking yet.

I'm playing through Wii version (about 10 hours so far) and I wouldn't say its THAT bad, But It definitely has more issues than the first Epic Mickey which is a shame. The not so smart companion AI presents a new set of problems although I haven't come across anything game breaking yet.

Well if it's worse then the first one it's already a bad game(I didn't even bother completing it), so then it's just a question of how bad.

Eurogamer have just reviewed it as well, they didn't seem too impressed either:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-disneys-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two

JRW

Well if it's worse then the first one it's already a bad game(I didn't even bother completing it), so then it's just a question of how bad.

Eurogamer have just reviewed it as well, they didn't seem too impressed either:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-disneys-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two

Ahh well I liked the first Epic mickey and played through to the end, It actually got better the further in you went.

But for anyone that didn't like the first game I certainly wouldn't recommend part 2.

eXistor

I've been playing Power of Illusion today for a bit. This is not the sequel to Castle of Illusion we've waited for. The game could have been so good, the paint mechanic should have been like a firehose and be used in real-time. The level-structure should have been Metroidvania style, like their previous game Monster Tale, not bog-standard linear levels. I don't mind linearity, but the actual level-design is pretty shitty so far, just so damn unimaginative. The side-quests are a joke. Why can I conjure up a chest for John Darling or even some Disney characters with my brush, but not a comb?

It should have been a €10,- downloadable title. As it stands, it's a giant wasted opportunity and not worth the money.

It's pretty though. Oh, and the music's good.

JRW

Ugh I think this quest is bugged, It's called Out of Toon which is located in Bog Easy.

I'm suppose to paint everything in and I've searched high and low for any unpainted areas, it looks complete but he keeps telling me to come back when everything is painted in.

EM2_OutofToon.jpg

Lijik

Ive been playing on the wii as well and Oswald seems more manageable than be was in the 360 demo (at least i dont recall there being a button in the demo that makes Oswald do his actions if theres a prompt up)
Im not too far in (i just got to the gulch) does he get worse later in the game? Because right now he seems decent. Fwiw i have a better time handling the camera on the wii than the 360 too.

So far Im liking EM 2 but its so damn iterative. I thought the original was fun but flawed but more of the same with some minor wrinkles added isnt enough. Its hard to believe this took so many people when its practically an Epic Mickey mission pack. The 25 bucks i picked it up for at Black Friday feels like a good price for what im playing, and should have been the standard.
Again im liking it because I liked EM1 and think the base gameplay is still fun, but they needed to do a lot more with this game than they actually did.

Just beat the 3DS game, with my activity log putting me at 4 hours. I gave up on side quests about halfway through the second world, and considering how bare bones this game was, I imagine there's no extra content for completing everything...someone let me know if I'm wrong though.

I can't help but feel this game was severely compromised though...in the beginning, there are illusions of several villains, Scar, Hades, etc that you never even fight. Maybe they're side characters, but you also see bosses you do encounter, so I can't help but feel half the game might have been cut to make deadlines. Very strange and one of my biggest disappointments of the year.

SmithnCo

Just beat the 3DS game, with my activity log putting me at 4 hours. I gave up on side quests about halfway through the second world, and considering how bare bones this game was, I imagine there's no extra content for completing everything...someone let me know if I'm wrong though.

I can't help but feel this game was severely compromised though...in the beginning, there are illusions of several villains, Scar, Hades, etc that you never even fight. Maybe they're side characters, but you also see bosses you do encounter, so I can't help but feel half the game might have been cut to make deadlines. Very strange and one of my biggest disappointments of the year.

Wow, sounds like a deadline thing in that case... Maybe the weird painting/thinning was there to lengthen it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What happened to the Tangled Stage?

That was one of the big things in the original Nintendo Power info.

JohngPR

Ugh I think this quest is bugged, It's called Out of Toon which is located in Bog Easy.

I'm suppose to paint everything in and I've searched high and low for any unpainted areas, it looks complete but he keeps telling me to come back when everything is painted in.

EM2_OutofToon.jpg

Bog Easy again? That was in the first game.

Did they at least make it look new?

Lijik

From some of the dialogue in Mean Street, it sounds like all three of the "hubs" from EM1 are making a return appearance. Ventureland is mentioned to be in the game too, as well as OsTown.

Peff

From some of the dialogue in Mean Street, it sounds like all three of the "hubs" from EM1 are making a return appearance. Ventureland is mentioned to be in the game too, as well as OsTown.

If you ignore the side fetch quests, the game is really, really short, like 3/4 hours long. There is surprisingly little new content, and if the game weren't being ignored by most people the super rushed conclusion would likely join the list of terrible 2012 game endings.

LiK

first game sucked so bad i didn't finish it. guess the sequel is kinda bad too. shame.

they should release an artbook with all the concept art from both games. i'd buy that instead of the games.

apana

Those early (pre-first game) concept art sketches promised so much... :(

These ones:

epicmickey072904.jpg

epicmickey072903.jpg

Can't help to laugh remembering the slaughter that was that Epic Mickey thread filled with port begging.

Now they can actually produce something that approaches that scale and look considering they can develop it from the ground up for Wii U and the PS360. I would love to see what Retro Studios could do with the Epic Mickey IP. They would probably produce something ten times better than the 1000 people who are going to be working on Epic Mickey 3.

first game sucked so bad i didn't finish it. guess the sequel is kinda bad too. shame.

they should release an artbook with all the concept art from both games. i'd buy that instead of the games.

Well they did for the first one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423148266/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was going to get the WiiU one on PAL launch, but the bad impressions have put me off it, I still want the 3DS one, but I'm going to hope for a sale on it on the eShop or Amazon before I take the plunge I think (I feel bad as I really like Dreamrift :( )

What happened to the Tangled Stage?

That was one of the big things in the original Nintendo Power info.

No idea, Rapunzel is in there, but no Tangled level that I saw. I didn't see the movie however, so maybe there are some small references included within the castle stages. Seem like a ton was cut though.

You guys think power of illusion would be worth it for $20? Or is that too high?

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother at that price; the fan service is mostly small cameos and the paint mechanic slows the game down to a point where it's just tedious, especially when repeating the stages to try and do side quests. Add that to the game length and lack of variety of actual worlds you get to visit, and it's hard to recommend when there's so many better games out there to play, even if it were only 20 bucks.

LiK

Well they did for the first one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423148266/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was going to get the WiiU one on PAL launch, but the bad impressions have put me off it, I still want the 3DS one, but I'm going to hope for a sale on it on the eShop or Amazon before I take the plunge I think (I feel bad as I really like Dreamrift :( )

3DS one is definitely better from what i read but once again the painting mechanics kinda ruin it. i'm gonna wait for a bargain bin sale for that as well.

Lijik

I own this. Theres some great art in it and seeing their (thankfully canned) attempts to redesign Mickey is interesting, but theres not a whole lot of art from the original concept. Also all of the game screenshots are the super early alpha shots from the game informer reveal. Warren even apologizes for showing the game off in such an early state yet the book never uses any shots from the finished game

Interesting, albeit unsurprising, tidbit from Destructoid's PoI review, regarding some of the length issues mentioned previously in this thread:

Tony Ponce said:
The only purpose that the lack of a proper "escape" function serves is to artificially lengthen the game, a truth that didn't really sink in until my adventure abruptly stopped. See, there are only three worlds in total, yet I'm certain that four were originally planned. Each world is located in the East, West, and South Wings of the castle -- isn't it's only logical that there ought to be a North Wing as well?

If you look at the game's box art, which I've used as this review's header image, you'll notice four villains -- Captain Hook, Jafar, Ursula, and the Queen of Hearts -- peeking out of doorways leading to their respective realms. Neither the Queen of Hearts nor Wonderland appear in the game; in fact, the final box art was altered slightly, replacing the Queen with the non-villainous Mad Hatter. If there was to be a fourth world, it must have been removed very late in development.

That's not all. Both the Peter Pan and Aladdin worlds feature four levels followed by a battle against that film's antagonist. However, The Little Mermaid world ends after only three levels, and you never fight Ursula. Rather, you find her just hanging out in the water and rescue her like any other character. The room to the final battle with Mizrabel opens immediately after completing that third level -- it's as though the game is saying, "Eh, that's enough."

I emailed DreamRift's creative director Peter Ong in regards to any cut content. Though he doesn't confirm exactly what was removed, he did say that the final game has less content than was originally planned and the team was allowed less than a year of development time. It's never pleasant to learn that a promising title was subject to such a strict development schedule. I can only wonder what kind of game Power of Illusion would have been if given just a little more breathing room.

Given how fundamentally flawed the touchscreen mechanics are, I'm not sure more development time could have truly fixed the game, but it's still unfortunate.

Interesting, albeit unsurprising, tidbit from Destructoid's PoI review, regarding some of the length issues mentioned previously in this thread:

Given how fundamentally flawed the touchscreen mechanics are, I'm not sure more development time could have truly fixed the game, but it's still unfortunate.

Dreamrift is rumored to be working on a second 3DS game correct? They might be able to redeem themselves

Desty

Banned
Passion doesn't always translate to technical prowess unfortunately. I think if Spector had a more experienced team, he could make a much better Mickey game.

I'm largely disappointed with the low scores for Epic Mickey 2: Power of Two. I'm still going to try to pick it up for 25 bucks on Amazon during Black Friday though.

I too am disappointed at the scores. I feel like 2/10 is not a fair score at all. The concepts, characters, and environments are a breath of fresh air. I wan to see more of this universe.

However, I do feel like Specter is perhaps just designing and leaving the team with this huge concept to implement. He needs to play to the strengths of the team he has instead of watching them struggle to fulfill some grand vision.

NTom64

Rented Power of Illusion and played a bit of it over on Twitch earlier today. Started out fun and got tedious as shit by the second world.

What a disappointment :/

thomasos

EM2_OutofToon.jpg

I got stuck on this forever. I was missing two things: the first was just outside the gate to the graveyard; I can't remember the exact details, but it was pretty high up and really hard to see. The second is on the other side of the destructible wall in the graveyard. You have to blow it up with fireworks then paint something inside. Hope that helps.

JRW

Ya it does look a little different, the lonely shack is there & the partially sunken boat etc, but for example the boat is now spinning around in the middle of a whirlpool and you can jump on the boat to reach another section of bog easy.

The music is similar too but it's been changed a bit.

Overall I'm enjoying part 2 it's getting better as I go and the addition of voice acting helped more than I realized it might.

I got stuck on this forever. I was missing two things: the first was just outside the gate to the graveyard; I can't remember the exact details, but it was pretty high up and really hard to see. The second is on the other side of the destructible wall in the graveyard. You have to blow it up with fireworks then paint something inside. Hope that helps.

I did the explosive wall part before but I'll have to go back and investigate the graveyard again, Thanks!

Dreamrift is rumored to be working on a second 3DS game correct? They might be able to redeem themselves
Just give me something of the caliber of Hatsworth or Monsters Tale and they will be redeemed in my eyes. Its just a shame this turned out bleh. A big well know game like this, had they really pulled it off, it would have really established them.

Lijik

I gt further in, Im liking it but I feel like I dont care about the "choices" in this game at all. Even though they had little impact in EM1, i always cared about what I was doing (the now removed morality bar helped a lot i think) Plus in the sequel, any time im making a "bad" choice its because Im trying to do the "good" one and accidentally triggered the bad one. Its frustrating as hell and I straight up had to turn it off at the first train diorama when my attempt to fix it wasnt working and i broke the thing somehow instead (i have no idea what i was really doing and what broke it)

Some glitches i experienced:
-A chest that randomly disappeared when I walked up to it.
-The giant key in Blot Alley went into its slot but refused to turn forcing me to restart.

I picked up both games for more Disney romps and because OSWALD, but my expectations are in check.

I did like the Power of Illusion a lot more than everyone here did, apparently.

I'll be playing Power of Two over Christmas break with my fiancée.

Poona

There's 2 reviews here where they quite liked it (as opposed to various other reviews already posted)
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/65842/disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/review/

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/

Anyway I didn't really get to experience much of the first game on Wii, as I play mostly on 360 and ps3, so when the sequel was announced and that it'd be coming to more platforms thought it was great news.

Heard much things in previews that things were changed and fixed, but then there's been a few iffy reviews, which I thought disappointing. Then on top of that the demo on the 360 seems to have been made available only to the USA? I live in Australia, so couldn't try it.

Anyway the game made its release and since I had it on preorder (for some bonuses) for the 360 thought I should still get it, and wow.. It's great! So good just jumping around the towns and exploring, trying to find other entrances to areas, using thinner to find secrets, collecting tickets, etc to buy costumes (currently wearing steamboat willie costume) having a bit of co-op play at times rather than just letting the ai take over. Really, really, liking it. Would have loved the banjo kazooie game on 360 to be more like this, rather than messing about in the garage and doing races, etc.

Hope Mickey and Oswald (though would also love some playable donald and goofy - have already ran into that robot goofy as shown in sketch for the first game in this thread. ) get some more games soon on the consoles and not limited to handhelds. Used to love world/castle of illusion and mickey mania, and this is just like the feeling of playing those games somewhat for me again.

Lijik

Hey can I still do the sidequests after i beat the main game? Want to know if I need to wrap up the ones im interested in before I commit to Episode 3 or not

Aspiring

Was very worried when I started seeing reviews but really, it's not that bad. But than again I only paid $25 for the 360 version thanks to amazon, so maybe I'm not as picky on quality.

But still having a blast. Graphics are nice and gameplay is fun. My little boy and wife are having a great time in co op. really it's probably a 7/10 so far.

JRW

Hey can I still do the sidequests after i beat the main game? Want to know if I need to wrap up the ones im interested in before I commit to Episode 3 or not

Yea you can continue I accidentally finished it today, credits rolled, then it put me back in mean street with all my progress still intact.

Lijik

Yea you can continue I accidentally finished it today, credits rolled, then it put me back in mean street with all my progress still intact.

Excellent!!
This game has grown on me the more I put into it, but I still have a list of niggles and complaints and I don't think its as good as the original

The wasted potential in the games, well the whole Epic Mickey franchise is just devastating. No matter how pushy Disney is with their property, there's no reason these can't be good games. If they had, who knows, we might be seeing an Epic Mickey film/TV series.

Now all the Mickey stuff we have to look forward to is this.

Keep rollin' Walt.

Lijik

A bit stuck on one of the sidequests I'm working on and I'd figured I'd ask here-
Does anyone know where the Gremlin is in the train tunnels? The map indicates that he'd be right at the entrance projector off to a corner, but that doesn't even seem possible

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got a chance to play through the 360 demo and it definitely seems a lot more solid than the first game (better camera, larger and less convoluted environments which makes for less confusing platforming). I take it I'm either misled or have extremely low standards? Oh, and those low-res splash screens aren't in the final game, are they? My only complaint is that they didn't really manage to design the controls so they feel natural without the Wiimote.

For some mysterious reason, the fourth paragraph I quoted has since been deleted from the review. Guess Disney wasn't happy with Ong revealing how rushed the game was.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Now they can actually produce something that approaches that scale and look considering they can develop it from the ground up for Wii U and the PS360. I would love to see what Retro Studios could do with the Epic Mickey IP. They would probably produce something ten times better than the 1000 people who are going to be working on Epic Mickey 3.

Old quote is old, but it needs to be reiterated at the visual style of both Epic Mickey titles has nothing to do with the hardware. That concept art is from the very earliest days of pre-production when they were conceptualising the look of the game, and were all quickly abandoned with Warren Spector and Disney agreed the imagery was too "dark".

Top Bottom