• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 in development? (Confirmed-ish post 149)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.destructoid.com/looks-like-epic-mickey-2-may-be-in-development-210015.phtml

According to an anonymous Dtoid reader, Epic Mickey 2 is currently being gauged by Disney via online marketing. There are a lot of specifics here, which is always nice. That doesn't mean that the game is definitely going to happen, but it sure looks like the development of Epic Mickey 2 has gone well beyond the "purely theoretical" stages. There are several potential box arts here, as well as some of the titles being considered for the game (including Epic Mickey 2: Return of the Mad Doctor, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Epic Mickey 2: Mystery on Mean Street, and just Epic Mickey 2).

The game is reportedly planned for release on the Wii, the PS3, and the 360. Gameplay details include the option to play 2-player split screen with Mickey Mouse (back with his paint and thinner mechanics from the first game) or his older brother Oswald The Lucky Rabbit (who can "fly like a helicopter" and use electricity to "fight or friend" foes).

It might have sold pretty well, but Epic Mickey was still a better game in theory than it was in practice. I have high hopes that Disney and Junction Point will be able to do better the second time around. Also, that split-screen mechanic sounds like it would be perfect for the Wii U and the PS3 + PS Vita set ups. Lets hope that functionality makes its way into the final game, if and when it's ever officially announced.

6y4pm.jpg

7Omq2.jpg

Lijik

Im one of those wackos that loved Epic Mickey one.
Hell Im replaying it right now.

IM FUKKEN IN

(btw, b and c are the best out of those)
EDIT- Just realized the paint in B makes a giant 2. Yeah thats the one. Pick that one.

Glass Rebel

I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than 2 hours so I hope this isn't true. I want Warren to work on something else.

Looking forward to it. This game gets a lot of hate for its flaws. Not entirely undeserved, but I felt the flaws were very exaggerated. Didn't help that the game was relatively slow to get started. Once I hit Mean Street, it was a pure joy for me.

I hope Disney allows Junction Point to actually finish the game...and I hope it hits Wii U instead of Wii. I can see this launching next Winter and Wii U should be out by then. Not much point on releasing it on Wii then. I'm not too optimistic on how the pointer controls transist to dual analog though...

ShockingAlberto said:
Please let Junction Point finish the game this time.

can you elaborate on this? i finished this game and while i liked it, i had a couple of complaints, so i wonder if those would have been addressed by whatever junction point would have changed if given the opportunity.

KevinCow

Banned
If true, hopefully they listened to the issues people had with the first. It had so much potential that it didn't live up to, so hopefully they don't blow a second chance.

Truth101

Banned
arglebargle said:
can you elaborate on this? i finished this game and while i liked it, i had a couple of complaints, so i wonder if those would have been addressed by whatever junction point would have changed if given the opportunity.

They were forced to release it in time for Holiday season? last year.

Thoraxes

First post nails it.
The game was fantastic, but some parts felt unfinished. The base mechanics and concept were really great though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Smiles and Cries said:
LLShC.gif
skip the Wii move to Wii U already
The Wii U has an install base of zero while the first game sold millions on the Wii.

SalsaShark said:
it also seems rather soonish considering the development the first one went through
Sequels traditionally come out much faster than the first game.

arglebargle said:
The game was originally assumed to be a winter 2011 release, Disney wanted it out by Christmas 2010, so a lot of stuff got outsourced and rushed.

I think Spector wanted more consequences for your choices rather than, like, nothing.

Raide

Hybrid Kinect version. Pad for console and then use a Child of Eden control for the painting and dissolving.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
KevinCow said:
If true, hopefully they listened to the issues people had with the first. It had so much potential that it didn't live up to, so hopefully they don't blow a second chance.

They only have to copy the camera of the Japanese version.
Because in the Japanese version Nintendo redid it, here's why.

Mikey Jr.

Nice thats its coming to PS3.

Gonna pick it up for sure if they fix some of the shit that I heard about from the first game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SalsaShark said:
Im aware, but we're talking warren spector here, this just seems weird.
But we're also talking about Disney here. I imagine if they don't meet their deadlines, they will be shut down.

Truth101

Banned
Mpl90 said:
They only have to copy the camera of the Japanese version.
Because in the Japanese version Nintendo redid it, here's why.

Really?

If so, it would be possible to make a patch for the JP version containing the english text. The possibilities!

Salsa

Nirolak said:
But we're also talking about Disney here. I imagine if they don't meet their deadlines, they will be shut down.

hum, yeah, never thought about it like that.

well, i think that when you strip it down to its technical issues, there wasnt much there other than the camera being pretty bad. So i guess it could do with fixing that and making sure you dont just revisit locations or something, that's what im worried about considering the development time.

Also dont really know how co-op would work in a game like this, but eh, for what its worth id definetly buy it.

SalsaShark said:
hum, yeah, never thought about it like that.

well, i think that when you strip it down to its technical issues, there wasnt much there other than the camera being pretty bad. So i guess it could do with fixing that and making sure you dont just revisit locations or something, that's what im worried about considering the development time.

Also dont really know how co-op would work in a game like this, but eh, for what its worth id definetly buy it.

related to the bad camera is the fact that when you moved the camera at all mickey stopped moving and skidded a little. just made the game fell very unsmooth.

The first game sold over 1.3 million copies in a single month, and Junction Point is still around despite Disney Interactive's overall move away from core gaming, so it's kind of obvious that it's in development.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Shocked the first one had any positive reactions besides hardcore disney fans.

Was essentially an N64 style platformer with worse art and higher res, but with a few cool short 2d bits.

WillyFive

Those are all good boxes, except maybe #2.

LuchaShaq said:
but with a few cool short 2d bits.

I heard the 2D bits were bad, so I guess that explains it.

Jokab said:
"[---] the critically acclaimed Disney's Epic Mickey..."

Uhh, didn't pretty much everyone think this game was quite mediocre?

No? It had those who didn't like it, but it did have acclaim.

Jokab

"[---] the critically acclaimed Disney's Epic Mickey..."

Uhh, didn't pretty much everyone think this game was quite mediocre?

fernoca

The first game really disappointed me. Felt generic, bland, boring...but still had some charm plus Mickey. So, I'll be keeping an eye on this one too. :p

I totally approve this.

Epic Mickey is rough around the edges, specially camera can be a pain in the ass, but over all it is a great game.

I heard the 2D bits were bad, so I guess that explains it.
They were just too easy and you had to go through some several times, definitely not bad, but became repetitive. Art design and sound/music in 2D levels is simply astounding.

[Nintex]

A 3D multiplayer platformer is actually a neat idea but I guess they'll ship this by the end of next year and it'll reuse most of the assets and mechanics from the first game. Kinda like Epic Mickey 1.5 so to speak.

ShockingAlberto said:
The game was originally assumed to be a winter 2011 release, Disney wanted it out by Christmas 2010, so a lot of stuff got outsourced and rushed.

I think Spector wanted more consequences for your choices rather than, like, nothing.

yeah the consequences stuff was really weak. i expected better from him

WillyFive

[Nintex] said:
A 3D multiplayer platformer is actually a neat idea but I guess they'll ship this by the end of next year and it'll reuse most of the assets and mechanics from the first game. Kinda like Epic Mickey 1.5 so to speak.

You can do both, you know. If you didn't use assets or mechanics from the first game, then it won't be Epic Mickey 2, it would be something totally different. A good idea would be to make the stuff from the first game better.

Top Bottom