• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 in development? (Confirmed-ish post 149)

ShockingAlberto said:
I am confused what game people think they would have gotten on PS360 in the same development time frame Epic Mickey had.

Well, obviously being on the PS3/360 means every game is AAA perfect without any flaws!

SmithnCo

clashfan said:
Never played Epic Mickey, did it turn out as dark and gritty as the early concept art?

lol no. It's Disney.

I do hope for a sequel they get into more obscure stuff, which was the best part of the first one. But they could have done more. I'm talking old rides like Journey Thru Inner Space and whatnot.

Noshino

ShockingAlberto said:
I am confused what game people think they would have gotten on PS360 in the same development time frame Epic Mickey had.

the fact that the console was changed?

When asked whether there was pressure to bring Epic Mickey to other formats, Spector told ONM: "The reality is that we started Wii development in 2008, but before that we were a PC, PS3, and 360 title.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/12784/news/epic-mickey-was-originally-for-360/ps3/

Wizpig

Look, i love myself some mediocre games.

When they are not hyped as "Nintendo quality" and "AAA".

Epic Mickey was a disaster of a game, and Nintendo was so desperate to bring some games to Wii that they also made an Iwata Asks about this.

What they (JP and Disney) got right was not go in the "lol so dark" DeviantArt-ish direction, but the problem is all gameplay (and camera!) wise.

I'm not sure i'd buy a sequel, even for €20 or less.
I wanted to love the first one, I played it with a smile on my face... then the smile became a yawn.

Takao

Banned
Shadowlink said:
Didn't Nintendo help with Goldeneye Wii?

Nintendo published Goldeneye Wiimake in Japan. As well, they're going to published Just Dance 2 there (when Just Dance 3 appears on basically every platform this fall).

Noshino

ShockingAlberto said:
How would that have made it not rushed?

Does changing the target platform not affect development?

I would think that if they had been working on the Wii from the beginning the end result wouldn't have been as rushed.

Noshino said:
Does changing the target platform not affect development?

I would think that if they had been working on the Wii from the beginning the end result wouldn't have been as rushed.
But you don't know that. The Wii version could have been the main one from the beginning and up-ported to the other ones.

It seems like the assumption is

Was HD game -> completely trashed development (which had made substantial progress) for Wii game -> rushed Wii game -> would not have been rushed as an HD game

It's equally likely, perhaps more so that

Was nothing but a list of systems -> became Wii game -> development started -> rushed Wii game

Noshino

ShockingAlberto said:
But you don't know that. The Wii version could have been the main one from the beginning and up-ported to the other ones.

It seems like the assumption is

Was HD game -> completely trashed development (which had made substantial progress) for Wii game -> rushed Wii game -> would not have been rushed as an HD game

It's equally likely, perhaps more so that

Was nothing but a list of systems -> became Wii game -> development started -> rushed Wii game

From the wording of it, it seems that at the beginning it wasn't even planned to be ported to the Wii....

"At that time we were talking about a Wii port and I was begging people - no, we can't just port to the Wii, it's not going to work. It needs to be its own game. A lot of the design ideas just won't work on the Wii, we need to give the Wii its dues. Graham looked at me and said 'What do you think about a Wii exclusive?' And I went 'Holy cow - yeah!'"

But hey, you could be right.

Let's just see what happens with this (rumored) new game, and the results will speak for themselves.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The first game was one of the biggest disappointments I had in gaming (tied only with Other M)

It had far, far too many problems. I often see the comparison to a collectathon-like N64 game such as Banjo, but I would say that is too good for this game considering you can't go back most of the time to recollect missing knicknacks for certain missions. It feels like an N64 platformer designed by aliens, not really sure on the tried and tested formula on making things work in the platform genre - that would explain the bad camera and slightly wonky jumps, at least.

Also, when you say you're making a dark and twisted facsimile of the Disney world as a whole, why don't you actually do what you promise? I want my floating mechanical Monstro/amusement park abominations this time.

Here's hoping the game happens, I loved the original game, one of my favorites of last year, easily.

Will buy for Nintendo's console as I like to keep my sequels to the same console manufacturer when possible.

Mithos

Truth101 said:
Most of the audience will be on the Wii, but there should be no reason for the fanbase to shrink simply because it is a multi-plat release.
How many would have bought it on PS360 instead given the option. If it really is Epic Mickey 2 now on Wii and PS3 and 360 I guess we will see.

I'll switch platform to PS3.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Interesting. The first is one of those games I've been meaning to pick up cheap some day...I'm glad to see them working with the character again though.

Tron 2.0

They've been working on a sequel since the first title shipped, so I guess it's about time we started hearing about it.

Interesting that they're going multiplatform this time. I wonder if the HD consoles are the lead platforms.

The first game has charm but the mechanics were not great. The 2D parts were the best part but they were not even challenging. I finished about half the game then stopped. Will probably go back.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ShockingAlberto said:
It would have been more similar to the gritty concept art they scrapped long ago.

SovanJedi said:
I want my floating mechanical Monstro/amusement park abominations this time.
Gimme.

Rlan

Well if Goldeneye can get a "reloaded" game, can't see why Epic Mickey wouldn't either.

In fact considering this generations ridiculous nostalgia tripping, I'm not surprised we don't see more HD up ports from Wii to Xbox 360 and PS3 further down the line.

Boy & His Blob, Conduit, Madworld, Sonic Colors, All that stuff.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Well, I hope Junction Point listened to the criticism. I loved everything about Epic Mickey save for the for the actual game itself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Some people live in this weird bubble where all of Epic Mickey's problems are a result of the Wii's oh-so-inferior hardware. I can only assume these people never actually played the game.

I like the idea behind Epic Mickey, and hope that Junction Point can find their footing. If its more of the same I dont think I'll be buying.

Got burned when last I expressed my dissapointment with Epic Mickey's choice of hardware.

Anyways if they bring it to my console of choice I will purchase it.

EatChildren said:
Some people live in this weird bubble where all of Epic Mickey's problems are a result of the Wii's oh-so-inferior hardware. I can only assume these people never actually played the game.

I like the idea behind Epic Mickey, and hope that Junction Point can find their footing. If its more of the same I dont think I'll be buying.

Agreed. Learning that it started as a multiplat game also tells you a lot about some of the choices made. People moaned (justifiably so) about the terrible camera, and I would assume that, starting with two analogue sticks as standard, that wasn't something they really paid attention to very much in the early days. When you have to suddenly have a reactive, intelligent camera... That's almost definitely more work than something you can just shoe-horn in in 18 months.

Shiggy

It's not as if Epic Mickey on HD consoles was nearly finished or so...it did not even have a full year of development. Epic Mickey's camera was a result of poor design decisions only.

apana

Noshino said:
From the wording of it, it seems that at the beginning it wasn't even planned to be ported to the Wii....

Let's just see what happens with this (rumored) new game, and the results will speak for themselves.

They hadn't done any work on Epic Mickey for PS360 besides the concept art. The Wii wasn't the problem with this game. Likely they would have run into even more problems trying to build a PS360 game.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Noshino said:

I take that as sounding like the game was still in the planning stages at that point so the change to Wii wouldn't have had any major impact. But keep in mind, Spector was reaching Molyneux-levels of BS when discussing this game, so its hard to know how much is the actual truth.

Agreed. Learning that it started as a multiplat game also tells you a lot about some of the choices made. People moaned (justifiably so) about the terrible camera, and I would assume that, starting with two analogue sticks as standard, that wasn't something they really paid attention to very much in the early days. When you have to suddenly have a reactive, intelligent camera... That's almost definitely more work than something you can just shoe-horn in in 18 months.
Two analogue sticks is no excuse for not having a reactive, intelligent camera. Besides, in that case the second stick would have probably been used for aiming so the camera controls would be even worse than they were.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Hmm an Epic Mickey for PS3 with a move controller could be very fun and has some potential if the flaws from the first game are ironed out ^^ Although I do think an Epic Mickey wouldn't sell great on PS360.

0829sdi1314572860825.png

Lol people saying they wouldnt buy it or directly dont do it. Yeah, leave rough but good games with a great idea without a sequel that could be awesome working out all its problems if they gave them a second chance.

Because Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood were shit am I right?
The same with the better puzzle mechanichs and controls of Super Scribblenauts
Or the all the good decissions they made when making Overlord II, like graphics, animations, maps better world, and more fun game...
Or how awesome is the gameplay now of Alpha Protocol 2... wait....

Fuck you people. Good game ideas always need second chances.

Im pretty sure that Junction Point and Warren will try to rework all the things that were bad from the first, and expand the good things. Now, if with a second chance it doesnt work, well, now you can start pleading for no Epic Mickey 3.

epic mickey had its problems, but I think it was awesome and had a lot of fun with it

Also, more real music from Disneyland this time Warren! In fact, all the zones need remixed themes from the famous lands and rides they are inspired.
And less tron with more 60's tomorrowland please. In fact make it more like Zelda (with dungeons and villages in disneyland) and less like Banjo. 2D short stages need to be something as prize for the player you need to find in the map, and no transitional zones between levels like in the first one.

Apenheul

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Fuck you people. Good game ideas always need second chances.

I agree, but IMO what needs to be fixed most is the core idea of Epic Mickey: the 'playstyle matters' idea. Playstyle just didn't matter at all in the first game, you just got a different type of reward depending on how you approached challenges or you could 'skip' a boss-fight. But in the end everyone got the exact same challenges, whether you played good or bad Mickey. The platforming and fanservice were satisfying though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kingsora said:
Hmm an Epic Mickey for PS3 with a move controller could be very fun and has some potential if the flaws from the first game are ironed out ^^ Although I do think an Epic Mickey wouldn't sell great on PS360.
NO! No god damn motion controls.

drspeedy

Dammit, someone confirm this Japanese release camera control talk... did that happen, JP improved the camera control?

I'd love to see that in action... the game has flaws, but they're almost all camera related (the rest are due to fetch quests and being locked out of past areas)

Apenheul said:
I agree, but IMO what needs to be fixed most is the core idea of Epic Mickey: the 'playstyle matters' idea. Playstyle just didn't matter at all in the first game, you just got a different type of reward depending on how you approached challenges or you could 'skip' a boss-fight. But in the end everyone got the exact same challenges, whether you played good or bad Mickey. The platforming and fanservice were satisfying though.

Yeah, that also needs to be fixed. Alpha Protocol has teached me how this can be done really great, but maybe is too complex for a game like Epic Mickey. Something similar but a little bit more simple could do wonders to the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Apparently a newsletter was prematurely released by Disney confirming all old info posted in OP, word for word. More or less a confirmation. Fall 2012, multi-platform, co-op.

Truth101

Banned
Apparently a newsletter was prematurely released by Disney confirming all old info posted in OP, word for word. More or less a confirmation. Fall 2012, multi-platform, co-op.

Wii U....
Possibly?

Though Co-Op I don't really like the idea of that =/

Top Bottom