• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS, Dreamrift)

fernoca

Good "haters gonna hate" pic of Mickey on that cover.

2eLcE.gif

Yeah! So pretty much the game is confirmed, and it's developed by the guys that made Henry Hatsworth and Monster Tale! Amazing. I hope we get some pictures/gameplay soon.

Yeah, there's indeed more to be hyped about here than when it comes to the console versions. Sorry, Warren, I still like the way you design games but you need to get back to teaming up with competent development studios. :p

By the way, if you ask me: All things considered and if you compare the pros and cons of each game, Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest are equally amazing.

By the way, someone post a good screenshot of the Christmas-themed level from World of Illusion which can only be accessed if you play two player (can't find one myself), it will rock the frigging socks off anyone who likes pixel art.

Maaaaaaan, if it's sprite based, this could be wonderful. I'm guessing it won't be, but it could!

If they're going for an Illusion throwback, I dunno how much the paint/thinner stuff will play in. I'll assume this game is going to be a mixture of Epic and Illusion.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But probably we'll have first images / even a trailer, maybe, on 27th, at the Epic Mickey's presentation.

RedSwirl

Whelp. Looks like the other Illusion games just ranked up on my pile of shame. Great opportunity for them to put Land out on the 3DS Virtual Console.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are the Illusion games like Mickey Mania? Which is the best (overall, outside refinement) including it? I didn't know they existed.

Santar

Gotta give a heads up for the Master System version of Castle of Illusion. By far the superior version in my opinion. Just more polished and open ended with more exploring and secrets to find.
Mickey even looks like is classic self.
Quite a bit similar to the nes Ducktales games gameplay vise.

Some gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy6zSdQfeA

CamHostage

Are the Illusion games like Mickey Mania? Which is the best (overall, outside refinement) including it? I didn't know they existed.

They're different. Mickey went through three general phases in gaming: the Illusion phase by SEGA (Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, Land of Illusion on SMS) that were mostly traditional butt-stomper platformers of varying degrees of quality with astoundingly colorful graphics for the time. Then there was the Magical Quest trilogy by Capcom that was a little more complex platformer with weird throwing mechanisms and costumes with abilities and eventually multiple playable characters on top of the usual Capcom 16-bit polish and color. And the Mickey Mania (aka Mickey's Wild Adventure on PSX,) a one-off game by Sony Imagesoft / Traveler's Tales that was again simpler mechanics (you could fire I think they were marbles, but mostly you jumped and butt-stomped and avoided stuff) but with wildly advanced tech-demo graphics and a cool throwback story that tried to cover several Walt Disney works of Mickey. Each is a little different and has its own fans.

There were also a few NES and GB games featuring Mickey, but best not to speak of those in this good company...

I'm surprised that the PS1 version of Mickey Mania isn't on PlayStation Network, by the way. I'm not sure if it's Sony or Disney that owns the rights to this? (Probaby Sony, they published it, or co-signed it in the case of the SEGA versions.) From videos, though, it looks like the PS1 version kind of ruined itself, Psygnosis redid it with addiotional effects but for instance having polygon in the rotating tower just makes it look pedestrian rather than crafty. Doesn't seem like the rights could work out, but it'd be nice if Disney could do a classics run of Mickey Mania (SNES version on VC, Sega CD version on Xbox and maybe iOS/Android, I guess PS1 version on PlayStation Classics) someday.

I would prefer the MD version of Mickey Mania on VC - SNES version is awful, and is lacking graphical polish, has inferior music and secrets have been removed.

Slime

Banned
If this is what I think it is (and given the developer, it probably is), it will be amazing. I loved the Illusion games.

3DS is a thing of the gods.

Btw, during an interview on Destructoid (March 2011), DreamRift's Peter Ong stated:

To that end, we’re currently working on a 3DS game we’re extremely eager to reveal, which could only be done on the 3DS.

Could it be this Power of Illusion?

Never got to play World of Illusions, but I got to play the first two games (magical quest and great circus adventure) on the SNES, both were fantastic games. If PoI plays like them it'll be day one for me.

fernoca

I'll be more than happy if it's a 2D game with the same sprite-quality of Monster Tale, but with 3D effects to accentuate the layers of depth.

axvDb.jpg
MZTf1.jpg
tfome.jpg

Top Bottom