• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS, Dreamrift)

iceatcs

2eLcE.gif

Ahh good time. I made that gif for Gameinformer Epic Mickey front cover thread. It was lot of deaths this thread. (Even lip sync almost right)

I may get the 3DS game (3D FTW), but I'll hold off on the console version until we get it for Wii-U (and if we don't get it for Wii-U...I guess I just won't get it).

Eric C

How did I not see this thread earlier?

A videogame with the words illusion & mickey in the title... BOUGHT

so hyped for this... it better not disappoint

I'll be more than happy if it's a 2D game with the same sprite-quality of Monster Tale, but with 3D effects to accentuate the layers of depth.

axvDb.jpg
MZTf1.jpg
tfome.jpg

It's being made by the people that made the Monster Tale game? hype rising.

9hCbI.jpg

Coop Mickey / Oswald gameplay like World?
Yeah, ^ I loved that game. I really liked the other illusion games too.

mHLk9.jpg

rHatI.png

Although, I've only played the Game Gear version of "Land of Illusion" I think they're pretty much exactly the same.

The Illusion games need to be put on the 3DS virtual console.

Okay. I looked over Monster Tale's credits at allgame:

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=72851&tab=credits

It seems that not only are two key folks from Hatsworth are there, but the team (even one of the founders) had relations with each other while working on The Red Star, Vexx, and Turok Evolution.

And Stephen Dupree (one of the MT designers) was a contract designer on DKCR! Funny as the art director of Hatsworth, was one of the people who worked on the art for DKCR as well!

fernoca

Yeah. Their site's back online.
Though no word on new projects and only list 'Monster Tale' as their first game as a team; the site also lists games members of of the team worked:
Peter Ong
Co-Founder, Creative Director

Peter Ong is a veteran game developer with over a decade of professional experience. He has driven game development both as a Design Lead and Producer on a broad range of team structures ranging from a modest team of under 20 people, to a team with over 150 people and a 20+ million dollar budget. Peter is responsible for the creation of innovative and acclaimed action-adventure titles such as “The Red Star,” “Vexx,” and “Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure,” as well as high profile licensed titles such as “Superman Returns: The Videogame” for major industry-leading publishers Electronic Arts and Acclaim Entertainment. For his most recent work of directing the award-winning game “Monster Tale,” Peter was named one of the Top Ten Designers of the year in “Game Developer Magazine”. Having worked in either Designer or Producer positions for the full-cycle of development from pre-conceptualization to final production on every game he has been involved with, Peter’s ability in both creative and business/production roles has lead to the successful shipment of every title he has worked on.

Ryan Pijai
Co-Founder, Technical Director

Ryan Pijai is responsible for overseeing all technology development for DreamRift. Ryan received his Computer Science Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Cornell University, where he graduated Cum Laude with Honors at the top of his class. He brings with him a wide range of professional industry experience including Lead Programmer at Electronic Arts, the world’s leading video game publisher, as well as Tools Programmer at Autodesk, the makers of AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max. Additionally, Ryan has handled AI, Graphics, Physics, Sound, User Interface, and Gameplay programming for multi-million selling sports games, next generation open world action games, and handheld games such as his most recently completed project as Lead Programmer: the original intellectual property “Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure” for the Nintendo DS.

Previously Developed Titles
By DreamRift Team Members
  • Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (Electronic Arts, DS)
  • Metroid Prime (Nintendo, Wii)
  • Monster Tale (Majesco, DS)
  • Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision, Xbox360/PS2/PS3/Wii)
  • Tony Hawk’s Project 8 (Activision, Xbox/Xbox360/PS2/PS3/PSP)
  • The Red Star (XS Games, PS2)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2/Metal Gear Solid 3/Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (Konami, PS3)
  • Vexx (Acclaim Entertainment, Xbox/PS2/Gamecube)
  • God of War I & II (Sony, PS3)
  • NCAA Football (Electronic Arts, Xbox360/PS3)
  • Spyro: Shadow Legacy (Sierra Entertainment, DS)
  • Madden NFL (Electronic Arts, Wii/Xbox360/PS3)
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (Sony, PS3)
  • Treasure World (Aspyr Media, DS)
  • Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground (Activision, Xbox360/PS2/PS3/Wii)
  • Superman Returns: The Videogame (Electronic Arts, Xbox/Xbox360/PS2)
  • The Tale of Despereaux (Atari, DS)
  • Dementium: The Ward (Gamecock, DS)
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Nintendo, Wii)
  • Cars: Mater-National Championship (THQ, Xbox360/PS2/PS3)
  • NBA Jam (Acclaim Entertainment, Xbox/PS2)
  • The Incredible Hulk (Sega, DS)

First details from the NP preview:

Nadia Oxford said:
Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

Sometimes you'll need to erase objects, which is done by spreading thinner. Again, the stylus comes into play here.

The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.

As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusion will take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. "

9toRV.gif

Holy shit, definitive version right here, folks.

Never thought I'd ever see a spiritual sequel to the Illusion games, much less one in the hands of a capable developer.

Aeana

I have faith in Dreamrift. Hatsworth and Monster Tale were both great games. This sounds like it'll be good too.

fernoca

So awesome!

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

JazzmanZ

I have the magazine in hand, the graphics look just like the Castle of illusion graphics!

other details include

-The witch from Snow white is the main villain again
-There will be worlds from all eras of Disney, From Peter Pan to Tangled
-Scrooge Mcduck is in the game
-Characters you 'save' will appear in a fort of sort that acts as a HUB when you progress on, like Scrooge McDuck or Peter pan will be in it and decorate the fort.
-Oswald will be in it along with Minnie

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I have the magazine in hand, the graphics look just like the Castle of illusion graphics!

other details include

-Characters you 'save' will appear in a fort of sort that acts as a HUB when you progress on, like Scrooge McDuck or Peter pan will be in it and decorate the fort.

GOTY

The M.O.B

other details include

There is no way this game can turn out bad, NO WAY!

HYPE!

Sloane

Banned
Superior version confirmed.
Hope it's okay to write this.

Don't really care for the console game, since the first one was disappointing and the second one looks pretty identical so far, but the 3DS game could be great.

Nosgoroth

Castle of Illusion followup? Hand-drawn sprites with parallax backgrounds? The Monster Tale dev?

Oh. My. GOD.

I don't even need screenshots, I'm already day-one-sold. Just give me a place to throw my money in.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why is a licensed game the reason that I want a 3ds?

It's made by Disney, who own the Mickey IP so it's really not much different from Nintendo using Mario in one of its games :).

COMPELLING TEX... SPRITES! YES!

I totally agree. I'm willing to bet this will turn out better than Epic Mickey 2.
I'm hoping both turn out nicely. Hopefully Junction Point learns a lot about what did and didn't work in the first game.

We'll see though.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
These are the types of games Disney needs to bring back to the consoles it would be huge for them imagine quackshot with rayman origins quality sprites

SmithnCo

other details include

Sounds awesome. Tangled world sounds promising too.

Top Bottom