• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

Truth101

Banned
Source

Thanks Father_Brain

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

Sometimes you'll need to erase objects, which is done by spreading thinner. Again, the stylus comes into play here.

The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.

As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusion will take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?

There's no release date set for Power of Illusion (Fall 2012 is a general target), but expect lots more information on this game as the weeks march on like Mouseketeers.

I have the magazine in hand, the graphics look just like the Castle of illusion graphics!

other details include

-The witch from Snow white is the main villain again
-There will be worlds from all eras of Disney, From Peter Pan to Tangled
-Scrooge Mcduck is in the game
-Characters you 'save' will appear in a fort of sort that acts as a HUB when you progress on, like Scrooge McDuck or Peter pan will be in it and decorate the fort.
-Oswald will be in it along with Minnie

Awesome. A Kingdom Hearts esque world switching is a nice bonus.

I am also glad this is a major release that is not abandoning the touch screen for the top for main gameplay as we all feared might happen.

TriGen

Sounds alright, I like that it is suppose to be a part of the Illusions franchise as well as Epic Mickey, the Suikoden nod is nice also.

DMczaf

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

ip48Z.gif

fernoca

Posted it in the other thread a few days ago, but..

In the meantime, as there are no screens...at least show that they were more than capable in doing 2D sprites as a team (team members worked in Henry Hatsworth too).
I'll be more than happy if it's a 2D game with the same sprite-quality of Monster Tale, but with 3D effects to accentuate the layers of depth.

axvDb.jpg
MZTf1.jpg
tfome.jpg

Those wondering what to expect when it comes to 2D sprites/games in 3D on the 3DS, should grab 'Mighty Switch Force' from the eShop ($6, from WayForward).

NDp8h.jpg

Sounds really cool. Good to hear about more sprite-based retail releases. Only played the Master System version of Castle of Illusion, but I really liked it.

Quote: Scrooge McDuck?! bless me bagpipes

Hiltz

It's kind of funny how the outsourced DS spin-off title is likely going to outshine Junction Point's focus on the sequel to Epic Mickey (outsourced HD versions included) on the home consoles.

BHK3

Banned
Wow, I'm literally eating my words in the last thread, where I said it won't be as good as the classics.

Linkup

Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms.

Only part that I'm worried about.

Eric C

is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

I have the magazine in hand, the graphics look just like the Castle of illusion graphics!

other details include

-The witch from Snow white is the main villain again
-There will be worlds from all eras of Disney, From Peter Pan to Tangled
-Scrooge Mcduck is in the game
-Characters you 'save' will appear in a fort of sort that acts as a HUB when you progress on, like Scrooge McDuck or Peter pan will be in it and decorate the fort.
-Oswald will be in it along with Minnie
HYPE! I need to see those screenshots!

Here are some from the Genesis game
mHLk9.jpg

Qsi3N.gif

OYh95.gif

yC66S.gif

Can someone confirm if all the following are unique games?

Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse (GENESIS)
Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse (MASTER SYSTEM)
Land of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse (MASTER SYSTEM)

I only have the Master System Castle game, which I really like. Are the others worth getting?

I've never played any of the previous games, but sounds like I'll have to get this if it lives up to the same standards the others are held at. I'm ready to see some glorious 2D hand drawn sprites in 3D.

I only have the Master System Castle game, which I really like. Are the others worth getting?

They're all separate games. The Master System version of Castle of Illusion has some passing similarities to the Genesis version, but is very much it's own game. The Genesis version of Castle of Illusion is pretty great, as is Land of Illusion.

There's also World of Illusion for the Genesis, which is also pretty great (And had Co-Op play, if I'm remembering correctly) and Legend of Illusion for the Master System, which isn't as great as any of the other entries but still pretty solid.

I recently completed, I think it was Castle of Illusion on the Master System.
Being a NES kid I never played it before, but I was visiting a friends house and he had a Master System hooked up. I always wanted to play it and now I finally did, and it was god damned terrible.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

using only my kid memories I remember loving and owning the master system one.

then playing the mega drive one and going "OMG WTF AMAZING"

we were too poor or something to own a megadrive :(

Being a NES kid I never played it before, but I was visiting a friends house and he had a Master System hooked up. I always wanted to play it and now I finally did, and it was god damned terrible.

haha. I'm extremely worried about this being true and will never replay it because I like my memory of it being awesome. I also find that sonic sucks now to replay as well. Somethings just don't age well.

Top Bottom