• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

EVH

Land of Illusion for Master System is better. I loved that game and the small RPG tidbits it has.

You guys should try it.

Suzzopher

Meanwhile the HD versions are made by the studio who shat out:
Puss in Boots (2011)
Michael Phelps: Push the Limit (2011)
Fantastic Pets (2011)
Yoostar 2 (2011)
All Star Karate (2010)
Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (2010)
The Biggest Loser Challenge (2010)
iCarly (2009)
Karaoke Revolution (2009)
Biggest Loser (2009)
Bratz Girlz Really Rock (2008)
Tak and the Guardians of Gross (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (2007)
Sneak King (2006)
PocketBike Racer (2006)
Big Bumpin' (2006)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
Bratz: Forever Diamondz (2006)
Bratz: Rock Angelz (2005)
Pac-Man World 3 (2005)
The Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown (2004)
Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (2004)
The Fairly OddParents: Breakin' Da Rules (2003)
Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (2003)
Taz: Wanted (2002)
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket (2002)
Fusion Frenzy (2001)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Meanwhile the HD versions are made by the studio who shat out:
Puss in Boots (2011)
Michael Phelps: Push the Limit (2011)
Fantastic Pets (2011)
Yoostar 2 (2011)
All Star Karate (2010)
Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (2010)
The Biggest Loser Challenge (2010)
iCarly (2009)
Karaoke Revolution (2009)
Biggest Loser (2009)
Bratz Girlz Really Rock (2008)
Tak and the Guardians of Gross (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (2007)
Sneak King (2006)
PocketBike Racer (2006)
Big Bumpin' (2006)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
Bratz: Forever Diamondz (2006)
Bratz: Rock Angelz (2005)
Pac-Man World 3 (2005)
The Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown (2004)
Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (2004)
The Fairly OddParents: Breakin' Da Rules (2003)
Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (2003)
Taz: Wanted (2002)
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket (2002)
Fusion Frenzy (2001)

Don't forget Epic Mickey (2010) ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Junction Point is not making the HD version. They are working solely on the Wii version, and then the porting takes place at another studio.

That seems unnecessary. I sure hop the 3ds version sells well, and it's reflected as 'Hey, we should just keep making these instead of bloating all this money for a new 3d game'. I don't even own a 3DS, and that's the direction I'd like to see it go.

Well, a 2D platform with Mickey Mouse DOES have chances to sell well on a popular handheld as 3DS is becoming, in particular in the Christmas period.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, a 2D platform with Mickey Mouse DOES have chances to sell well on a popular handheld as 3DS is becoming, in particular in the Christmas period.

They could easily move the colors of the mario themed 3ds european club nintendo thing and make it into a mickey one. pack it with the game. bam.

Shiggy

By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

That almost sounds as if they felt desperate to use the touch screen.

They're all separate games. The Master System version of Castle of Illusion has some passing similarities to the Genesis version, but is very much it's own game. The Genesis version of Castle of Illusion is pretty great, as is Land of Illusion.

There's also World of Illusion for the Genesis, which is also pretty great (And had Co-Op play, if I'm remembering correctly) and Legend of Illusion for the Master System, which isn't as great as any of the other entries but still pretty solid.

Thanks, just bought Land of Illusion.

Isn't Legend of Illusion Game Gear-only except in Brazil? I'd love to get it, but that version seems to be very rare and my Game Gear sucks.

Luigiv

That almost sounds as if they felt desperate to use the touch screen.

It kind of does but at the same time it doesn't sound like a bad fit, given the Epic Mickey part of the name. I'd rather draw with a stylus than with a Wiimote or Analogue Stick so I'm not against the idea of them shoehorning this sort of gimmick in order to meet the breif.

Shiggy

It kind of does but at the same time it doesn't sound like a bad fit, given the Epic Mickey part of the name. I'd rather draw with a stylus than with a Wiimote or Analogue Stick so I'm not against the idea of them shoehorning this sort of gimmick in to meet the breif.

I was probably burned by Diddy Kong Racing DS and its gimmicky touch screen controls.

BKK

This sounds more interesting than Epic Mickey 2.

Thanks, just bought Land of Illusion.

Isn't Legend of Illusion Game Gear-only except in Brazil? I'd love to get it, but that version seems to be very rare and my Game Gear sucks.

Alternatively you could get a "Master Everdrive" for ~$80.

Log4Girlz

Ok, they know their sprites...NICE. I sorta wish some game would come along with a more hand animated looks...like Earthworm Jim...Loved that game.

Guys, if I ever win the lottery, I'm fucking making a spiritual successor to Earth Worm Jim. And if I'm really rich, I'll do everything in my power to make it involved Ducktales in some fashion.

Cheska

Holy smokes, now this is unexpected! Now I'm wanting to dig up my Sega and play Castle of Illusion again just to get in the mood for this.

I just plugged in my Genesis with World of Illusion upon hearing this news. tried turning it on for the first time in...ohh I dunno..15 years? And it FUCKING WORKS!

My cousin is coming over soon for some World of Illusion Co-op. Fuck yeah.

I was probably burned by Diddy Kong Racing DS and its gimmicky touch screen controls.
With luck this will be MUCH better implemented than Diddy's hilarious touch screen crap.

Henry Hatsworth was great because you paused the upper platformer part of the game to go into the lower touchscreen part.

Since this is the same dudes making this game I'd imagine they're smart enough to know the good from the bad when it comes to touchscreen implementation. (I hope!)

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Must not fap.

I was on board with a pseudo Castle of Illusion sequel, but now you're telling me there's a Tangled level?

I don't think my body is ready for this.

I recently completed, I think it was Castle of Illusion on the Master System (...) it was god damned terrible.

No, it's brilliant. One of the most charming, pitch-perfect platform games ever made. It was my favourite game of all time for two decades (recently usurped).

---

This new Illusion game had better suck a ton of ass, because if it doesn't I'm going to have to buy a 3DS.

Boogybro

Never played Castle of Illusion. Was it half as good as World of Illusion? Cause that's probably the best Mickey game I've ever played.

World of Illusion is half as good as Castle.

And I love World.

Edit: Master System version of Castle. I'm not very familiar with the Mega Drive version.

mclem

No, it's brilliant. One of the most charming, pitch-perfect platform games ever made. It was my favourite game of all time for two decades (recently usurped).

I have to ask... by what?

(In particular, was it a game that you felt did 2D platforming better, or a completely different game which you just happened to like more?)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Never played Castle of Illusion. Was it half as good as World of Illusion? Cause that's probably the best Mickey game I've ever played.

Castle of Illusion is awesome. The Master System version is the best version of the two IMO.

And this seems awesome. 3DS getting the best version confirmed.

I recently completed, I think it was Castle of Illusion on the Master System.
Being a NES kid I never played it before, but I was visiting a friends house and he had a Master System hooked up. I always wanted to play it and now I finally did, and it was god damned terrible.

I will fight you.

I have to ask... by what?

(In particular, was it a game that you felt did 2D platforming better, or a completely different game which you just happened to like more?)

Haha, sorry. It was The Binding of Isaac, a game I've put 44 hours into and paid £3.49 for. There's nothing about it I don't like.

For nostalgia's sake CoI will always be my favourite game, I think, but currently Isaac has the edge.

trinest

Hand drawn sprites? Sequel to that genesis game?

Count me fucking in.

I agree.

When I heard about the sequel I was like "I might have to get the original Epic Mickey" but then the news of this came out which seems more of a spin off? And I'm like "I MUST GET THIS INSTEAD".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So...the conference? Wasn't it today? I need to see something :(

This sounds amazing, I only need the confirmation of music remixes of those movies, instead of the subpar music Jim Doolney craps in the console games, and I will be as happy as anyone can be.

Please fucking be an Hercules world, fucking please, the disney parks and animation department had send the movie to the forgotten realm.

Also song of the south if they include the movies music.

Also make Walt Disney the last character to save lol

So this is Kingdom Hearts without the SE shit?

YEEEEEEEEES!
No more zippers and emo characters.

test_account

XP-39C²
Great news about it using sprites! :D I just hope that the game is multiplatform or else i wont be able to play it for a long time :( (i dont want to open my Zelda OoT 3D bundle).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe THIS was what Iwata was talking about when he said that 3DS sales have convinced also Western companies to develop interesting things on the platform...

sakipon

Unless this comes out as absolutely terrible, I'm buying it on day 1. I'd like to send them a message that this is what I want (old school style mixed with new tech).

Great news about it using sprites! :D I just hope that the game is multiplatform or else i wont be able to play it for a long time :( (i dont want to open my Zelda OoT 3D bundle).

You could always buy another 3DS for gaming if you want to keep the special one in box (perhaps look into second hand market?). Otherwise you're missing out on many great things, pal.

Top Bottom