• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We just need someone from DreamRift confirming it. The fact is that they haven't updated their site yet with EM infos. Maybe there's an embargo till the April NP issue actually is released to not subscribers ( next tuesday ), but I need a confirmation at this point...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lost all credibility when it said that level of sprite work is "easy." Lol, no.

Eric C

I think it's a real game, if not I think thomasos should be banned. :/

Nah, I think there's plenty of reasons why this couldn't be the April Fools joke in that issue. I doubt they could get Warren Spector to go along and lie about a game he's helping make. And why would DreamRift willingly joke about a project of theirs (this isn't like the Skullgals on NeoGeoPocket, this is DreamRifts next title when we don't know what they're up to at all).

Above all else, they've established that the April Fools content is the Quiz on page 18.

And, above all, we've started hearing about it well before Nintendo Power, with Nintendo France spoiling the title itself. So...
actually Nintendo Magazine France
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467152

I'll make a cash bet that this is real if there are any takers.
Ohh somebody do a bet with Stumpokapow again.
s4dFG.png

mclem

On the flip side, Disney has no qualms referencing Fantasia, which WAS a massive flop at Box office. But Sorcerer Mickey makes such good imagery, as does other characters such as Chernabog, that they use them anyway (as you don't really need to see Fantasia to know Sorcerer Mickey is a badass mofo)

Random aside, on that note: Why on Earth is the 'magic suit' in Magical Quest not styled after Sorceror Mickey?

Lijik

I'd believe it.

You would believe a guy who thinks the concept art is a screenshot that Nintendo Power would make one of their cover stories an april fools joke.
Okay.

Lets not even get into that part of his "evidence" are the sprites of Scrooge McDuck and Peter Pan being ripped out of SNES games despite neither appearing on that console to the best of my knowledge
If you read his posts you can tell he's just being overly paranoid and grasping at any straw he can get his hands on. Look at this:
takieda said:
Also consider one of the things they're touting as "great" the 3D effect from parallax scrolling, as if it's some major breakthrough.
You gotta be shitting me, this is one of the reasons he considers it a hoax? Dude just doesn't have a strong case at all.

EDIT- If you also factor in Warren talking about the 3DS version in this article with Eurogamer, itd be pretty hard pressed to take it as an april fools prank by NP.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Plus there is an interview with Warren Spector and he talks about it as well.

REMEMBER, THE SKY ISN'T BLUE, AND THE CAKE IS A LIE. A LIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

So...Stumpokapow should go on that site, register, and just say to takieda "You fuckin paranoic moron, you owe me a lot of money!"

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Wait...there are people who think that the 3DS game is an April Fools joke?

Amazing.

It's not a joke, folks. Sometimes games that look this awesome actually happen.

I've never lost a bet on GAF. My Cave Story 3D bet with Fernando Rocker got cancelled when the game got delayed 5 months.

I'll join you on this bet that doesnt involve money. If the game turns out to be real, winner gets an awesome tag. For losers, their tag must say "I hump evilore's leg for pennies" :p

thomasos

Wait...there are people who think that the 3DS game is an April Fools joke?

Amazing.

It's not a joke, folks. Sometimes games that look this awesome actually happen.

This. And the reason people haven't seen the game anywhere else is that we have a true exclusive on it for the time being.

Sylver

Banned
Wow just watched the screenshots. Awesome, I hope this come to other platform, sadly if this happens won't be that lateral scroll game :(.
Great.

dock

I really enjoyed Castle of Illusion, and recently got into the Land & Legend of Illusion games.

I'm also fond of the work done on Monster's Tale, and I have a recently bought Hatsworth unopened.

I also saw the screen, and agree that... for the most part... it captures Castle of Illusion really well.

Despite all of these things, I can't help but fear the worst for this game.

Is that weird?

Not to mention we've known about this game for about a fortnight now. It seems like anything within a month-long proximity to April Fools is considered a joke nowadays.

Warren Spector PERSONALLY ripped the Scooge McDuck sprites out of Super Nintendo games just for Nintendo Power's DOCTORED screenshots!

He is not to be trusted!!
The entire existence of Nintendo Power has just been one big, several-decade long April Fools Day joke where the aim was to mildly upset some people on something called 'the internet' by lying about the existence of a Mickey Mouse game in 2012.

Katzii

I really enjoyed Castle of Illusion, and recently got into the Land & Legend of Illusion games.

I'm also fond of the work done on Monster's Tale, and I have a recently bought Hatsworth unopened.

I also saw the screen, and agree that... for the most part... it captures Castle of Illusion really well.

Despite all of these things, I can't help but fear the worst for this game.

Is that weird?

I don't think it's weird because it's very easy to hype something up for it to only fall short (my personal one was probably the hype surrounding Smash Bros Brawl. Okay, I enjoyed it initially, and then it just got really boring and not worthy of the hype).

It looks gorgeous definitely, but there is always something that could go wrong. I'm personally going to keep my optimism hat on, and it will probably be a day-one purchase regardless on my end, but it's very easy to be blinded by the nostalgia glasses and to have unblinding faith in it, when it could end up being CoI-like in name and visuals only.

But yeah, as I said, it looks incredible, and I don't see how I won't be picking this (and the console one, but that's another post for another thread) up ASAP, unless they SERIOUSLY screw up.

Kifimbo

For those still worried.

Disney Epic Mickey Paints Its Way to the Nintendo 3DS System with “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion”

Reality is What You Paint of It as Player Illustrations Come to Life in 3D

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Disney Interactive Media Group today announced the development of “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” the first Nintendo 3DS™ title in the “Disney Epic Mickey” franchise. The title features an interactive combination of painting, dual screen integration and 3D transformation capabilities designed to give players the unique ability to create objects and even characters they can place in the world of Wasteland.

“We’re honored to be able to pay tribute to this classic video game by creating a title that truly takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS, putting the magic of Disney and the historic Castle of Illusion in the palm of your hands.”

In “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” Reality is What You Paint of It. The game offers a special drawing and painting function that allows players to create rough versions of objects that magically transform into classic Disney-style 2D illustrations. Utilizing the game’s unparalleled dual screen integration, players then move their creations to the top screen where they are further transformed into full-color, fully-rendered 3D visuals.

Paying tribute to the classic Sega Genesis title “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” focuses on the fabled Castle of Illusion, which has fallen into Wasteland, an alternate world filled with 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions – and now forgotten video games. The evil witch Mizrabel, villainess from the classic “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” finds herself an unwilling inhabitant of Wasteland, and unleashes a plot to escape using the Castle of Illusion to imprison and drain the cartoon essence from currently famous Toons. Players will take on the role of Mickey Mouse as he utilizes his magical brush to wield paint and thinner to confront Mizrabel and save the Toons.

“The original ‘Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse’ changed the face of video gaming by allowing players to play as Mickey Mouse in a side-scrolling adventure full of dynamic environments,” said Warren Spector, vice president and creative director, Junction Point. “We’re honored to be able to pay tribute to this classic video game by creating a title that truly takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS, putting the magic of Disney and the historic Castle of Illusion in the palm of your hands.”

“Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” is being created by critically acclaimed DS developer DreamRift, in collaboration with Disney Interactive’s Junction Point. The game is slated for a fall 2012 release on the Nintendo 3DS. For more information, go to www.disney.com/disneyepicmickey, or check out this month’s issue of “Nintendo Power” magazine which features an exclusive cover story on the upcoming game.

mclem

I love the idea that it actually *is* Castle of Illusion, because Castle of Illusion is now an unused franchise; it fits perfectly with the underlying premise of Epic Mickey and the Wasteland. That's one heck of an inspired way to justify going back to the classic style.

Katzii

...YES.

I would love if they made references to the other Illusion games - doing the carpet ride on World of Illusion was one of my most memorable moments (that and the two-player exclusive Christmas present level), but to even make tribute to one of them is amazing.

I hope that they'll bundle in the original, too.

So it is officially “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion”, without the 2, good, good. Nice to see it being its own game and not as I (and others) had said about it seemingly being like a me too game.

Well that sounds great.
Im just praying that the music are remixes of disney classics and not Jim Dooley music.
Someone nees to confirm who is going to do the music and the style of it, is the only thing im afraid of.

Eric C

What's the link to the ban bet post? I kinda want to see what he said. :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34162031&postcount=101

It was actually a $10 bet not a ban bet like the comic says

For those still worried.
So “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” it is.

Look at ALL those. The artwork in this game looks great.

Lijik

Well that sounds great.
Im just praying that the music are remixes of disney classics and not Jim Dooley music.
Someone nees to confirm who is going to do the music and the style of it, is the only thing im afraid of.

Well as far as Jim Dooley's music goes I hope they at least retain his themes for Mickey and Oswald from EM1 if they go the route of remixing the classics instead

Katzii

This continues to look better and better.

Come on, Autumn 2012, or whenever you're getting released!

I love the World of Illusion reference in the last image. Makes me want more... From levels I liked better.

isny

napkin dispenser
Dat Scrooge McDuck! Confirmation of a DuckTales game from Spector next?

So hyped for this, going to preorder the day it's available!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Damn this game sounds really cool, hopefully the drawing doesn't become too overbearing.

This game (and the Wii version) got a special Nintendo Show 3D episode dedicated to it! They interviewed Warren Spector and showed the screens we've seen so far in 3D, which was weak IMO. Hopefully it's just the video compression or something because I think the game would benefit from a stronger 3D effect.

Ketch

Not sure if this has been posted but the Nintendo 3D show on the 3DS has an interview with Warren Spektor (how's that for spelling?) and it's got the screen caps from the OP in actual 3D if anyone is wanting to check them out... sadly no footage of the game in motion though.

Edit: WOW Beaten... by like 36 hours... man I'm lame... and the spelling "joke" is even worse now... I should just edit it all out, but it's more appropriate to live with the shame.

zroid

Banned
showed the screens we've seen so far in 3D, which was weak IMO. Hopefully it's just the video compression or something because I think the game would benefit from a stronger 3D effect.

Yeah, you can't really discern the effect's strength in the game based on video footage, since there's no depth slider. It just gives you an idea of how the various layers will be separated, which I thought looked pretty good.

I like the way this looks. I hope it looks at least as good as Mighty Switch Force! The video in the eShop isn't the best quality, but it does give an idea of what to expect.

One small thing I noticed is that they seemed to have flipped the sprites. It looks like Mickey switches the hand he is holding his paintbrush in each time he switches directions. I wonder if they did the same for the other characters. It's the Ambidextrous Spite!

I hope DreamRift gets enough time and resources to do an excellent job; I though Henry Hatsworth and Monster Tale were good, but not great.

LOCK

Holy crap I just saw the screens. Where have I been?!

This is amazing, and day one, and so happy at Disney right now.

Thoraxes

Did anyone else see the video on the Nintendo Video eShop? They had the screens in 3D of the game up there too in the interview with Warren.

Top Bottom