• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 Revealing On March 27th

I never beat the first one, but I did enjoy what I played.. Here's hoping this pans out to be something special.

6y4pm.jpg

Blah, I am not a fan of any of those. It seems they may be steering away from the "darker" tone even more with the second game, so I hope it doesn't wind up losing its charm.

WillyFive

They shouldn't call it Epic Mickey anymore.

Epic Mickey sounded dumb
Epic Mickey 2 sounds The Country Bears dumb

Why?

Epic Mickey is a great name. You should have been here in the announcement thread when Gaffers were coming up with their own names. Now those were bad.

"Mickey's Great Adventure" lol

Also, The Country Bears isn't a bad name either.

heringer

Couldn't finish the first one.

Not because of the broken ass camera, but because the game is so boring. A festival of annoying fetch quests marred with mediocre combat and platforming. It's a shame, because the art, setting and concept are all lovely.

Hopefully they fix everything that was wrong with that game.

I never really liked how Disney basically reneged on their vision for EM to be a company-wide reboot of Mickey, and instead localised the re-interpretation of the character to that one game (and some comics maybe, I guess). I'd love it if they bring company-wide use of the character- kids shows, Disneyland dudes-in-suits, etc etc- in line with Epic Mickey's Mickey Mouse, but eh. I doubt it.

At least use Oswald somewhere else. :/

Yeah, wouldn't be at all surprised to see it on 3DS. They were working on a port of Epic Mickey for it already, except Disney stopped it. I assume due to low sales at the time. Now the 3DS is doing so well though, stylus paintbrush and 3D "thinner" PAAHLEEEZ.

http://shogungamer.com/news/epic-mickey-spin-off-was-being-prepped-nintendo-3ds

Disney Interactive took a gamble of sorts with Disney Epic Mickey for the Wii and based on the news of late it looks like the gamble may not have paid off. So far Disney Epic Mickey has performed admirable at retail but the game hasn’t gone on to become the multi-million unit seller Disney had hoped it would be so in the eyes of a corporation the game could be viewed as a disappointment. Besides being a game, Disney Epic Mickey was also meant to relaunch Mickey Mouse to a new audience and possibly spin-off into new movies and other merchandise – all of which is TBA at this point.

Before all the drama went down with Disney Interactive laying people off and reportedly changing their focus as a publisher, the studio was prepping an Epic Mickey spin-off for the Nintendo 3DS. The news of the Epic Mickey franchise expanding to Nintendo’s hotly awaited handheld comes from a source who tipped us about the situation, but given the recent events that have transpired with Disney Interactive, it remains to be seen if such a project is still on the cards.

So what will Epic Mickey’s adventure be on the 3DS? Given how Epic Mickey heavily utilized the mechanic of paint & thinner using the Wiimote as a pointer, one could assume that such a similar mechanic may be used on the 3DS but with a stylus replacing the Wiimote. Well that wasn’t going to be the crux of Epic Mickey’s gameplay on the 3DS as the core feature was going to be 3D manipulation. In an almost brilliant move, our source claims that the gameplay of Epic Mickey was going to require the player to change the amount of 3D on the screen, using the 3D slider on the 3DS, to solve puzzles and other challenges that were presented.

Aside from the 3D manipulation Epic Mickey was said to be similar to what was presented on the Wii (Mickey travelling to different worlds, hub areas) but Junction Point weren’t pegged to develop the project and instead Warren Spector was merely overseeing Mickey’s foray onto the 3DS.

Our source didn’t tell us when Disney Epic Mickey 3DS was planned for release but the game was still in the early stages of development. With Disney Interactive shifting their focus towards digital distribution it’s unclear if Epic Mickey will still grace 3DS gamers with its presence or if the game has been canned.

NeoRausch

ugh...the second cover looks the best... cause it looks like the first game. aside frome that... why not more color?

Shiggy

I wonder why they aren't doing a Donald Duck game, he's much better. They could even include a chapter with him as Avenger Duck.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Even if this is multi-platform, I would be very surprised if this sales as many copies as the first one did. It's a very similar situation to what Red Steel 2 had to go through, and we all saw how that turned out.

Also, the 360 version not having Kinect function would be a huge mistake, and so would be missing out on the Wii-U launch.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ooo forgotten characters....good chance we will get a Gummi Bears level then :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, wouldn't be at all surprised to see it on 3DS. They were working on a port of Epic Mickey for it already, except Disney stopped it. I assume due to low sales at the time. Now the 3DS is doing so well though, stylus paintbrush and 3D "thinner" PAAHLEEEZ.

http://shogungamer.com/news/epic-mickey-spin-off-was-being-prepped-nintendo-3ds

Disney Interactive took a gamble of sorts with Disney Epic Mickey for the Wii and based on the news of late it looks like the gamble may not have paid off. So far Disney Epic Mickey has performed admirable at retail but the game hasn’t gone on to become the multi-million unit seller Disney had hoped it would be so in the eyes of a corporation the game could be viewed as a disappointment.

But it has. It sold multiple millions in just the US in just its first two months :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't think that's true. According to a Nintendo Power list, it had sold 1.52 million as of August 2011... which means that all but about 200K units were sold in the first month. If accurate, that wouldn't bode well for a sequel at all.

You might actually be right, because I checked a more recent NPD number I saw and it was still just a hair below 2 million in the US. Hmm. Maybe it had really really poor legs?

Might this be one of the last Wii titles released? Also any chance that it comes for the Wii-U as well? I feel like it might be better placed there.

Amir0x

Banned
They're going to have to work for my vote this time. After last outings near endless flaws, I definitely have to be convinced they know how to do shit as basic as get a camera to not fucking try to kill you at every turn.

Also, being on 360 and PS3, the graphics should look good this time... probably.

Amir0x

Banned
Hopefully, the art style was really obscured by the hardware running it.

Yeah. Even though it wasn't what I wanted after the amazing concept art, I could still tell it was a relatively attractive art style... if it wasn't hindered by Wii technology.

Also, Junction Point, fucking drop the sidescrolling platforming segments if you can't make them more complicated than Elmo's first platforming adventure.

You might actually be right, because I checked a more recent NPD number I saw and it was still just a hair below 2 million in the US. Hmm. Maybe it had really really poor legs?

Perhaps due to bad word of mouth. I was on the fence about this game. However, the terrible word of mouth on here and by reviewers scared me off the game. Given it's terrible word of mouth it might be what killed the game past the holidays.

Gameboy415

I actually took the survey pictured in the OP months ago so I've known this was coming for quite a while now, but apparently the NDA doesn't matter anymore...*shrug*

I absolutely hated Epic Mickey when I first played it, mainly because of the awful camera controls.
However, once I reached the "hub area" a few hours into the game I actually enjoyed the remainder of the game quite a bit.

If the sequel can iron out better camera controls and condense the tutorial stages down, it could end up being pretty great!

I hope they fix the problems the first game had. The first one had really good ideas, but just didn't execute on them right.

Will probably get the 360 or PS3 version though.

Top Bottom