• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

jett

D-Member
dear god at those character renders

this is how you do mickey in 3D:

mickey-and-sora-in-kingdom-hearts-ii.jpg

Haunted

From this:
epic-mickey-looking-more-real-more-amazing.jpg

to this:
209ltza.jpg

Yeah, I think I like the earlier concept art better.

In all seriousness, though, it'd be premature to write the game off after this initial unveil - the concept is ace, the animations are great, Specter seems really passionate about this.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Calints Neos said:
I must be the only one laughing that people thought this was going to be some sort of Grimdark-Steampunk mickey game and now are butthurt because it isn't:lol

If you release media and hype your game up to be a Grimdark-Steampunk Mickey game, people are probably quite right to expect a Grimdark-Steampunk Mickey game.

It's like Polyphony turning around next year and saying "What? Those renders? That's just concept art. GT5 is actually a football game played with a guitar controller."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know, a lot of the concept art isn't even impressive. It's not innovative or even aesthetically pleasing. I'm incredibly surprised.

Burai said:
If you release media and hype your game up to be a Grimdark-Steampunk Mickey game, people are probably quite right to expect a Grimdark-Steampunk Mickey game.

It's like Polyphony turning around next year and saying "What? Those renders? That's just concept art. GT5 is actually a football game played with a guitar controller."
Except they never released that art.

It's like someone found a Gran Turismo doodling of a car with eyes on a table and was annoyed Gran Turismo cars looked realistic still.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
jarosh said:
more screens:

Yeah, not as exciting as the artwork, that's for sure. But oh well, there's still time to add a lot of stuff. I remember the first screens of Red Faction Guerilla coming out. Those didn't look that hot either.

Spike

Taker666 said:

Damn straight. Although, it would be nice if we had both. Look at Galaxy and match that, Warren.

Actually, you know what would really be amazing? If they had done a full-on 2D Mickey Sidescroller like Warioland Shake it on the Wii, and if they were still interested in the other platforms, do Mickey 3D on the other 2 platforms.

Now THAT would have been awesome.

upandaway

silverbullet1080 said:
This game being a year off makes me think those textures are not final. Or really anything visually in this game.
Yet they still release these screens.

To be blunt, I've never seen a more stupid marketing decision. You'd think even developers have some sort of insight as to what should be seen and what shouldn't.

Well they should care that people are too picky about screenshots and aren't interested in the game mechanics, yes.

But I'm glad people are using this time to release some pent-up rage

silverbullet1080 said:
This game being a year off makes me think those textures are not final. Or really anything visually in this game.
Models and environments are probably completely finished. Textures, lighting, and any shader based effects would come later. But really not too long from now.

Canti

Surgeon Rocket said:
Maybe they'll pull a SpyBorgs.

Either way, you all have yourselves to blame for the hype.
Pull a Spyborgs and then some >:

Really, who would have thought that Warren Spector, along with the juggernaut wealth and selling power of Disney, would produce a (circa 2001) shovelware PS2 title. The fact that they deemed these shots worthy to release to the public is really disappointing after all the Gameinformer hype. As others have said, it's not even the power of the Wii that's holding it back. The superb animations are the only redeemable thing.

I really want to like this game, on paper it sounds perfect, but no lighting is going to polish this turd. Redoing the textures entirely at this point is also completely unthinkable. I'll wish upon a star for a miracle before winter 2010.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I understand that people want to say "it's a year off," and that makes plenty of sense, but this is the game's big reveal by Disney. They could have picked nicer screens or something.

Thunder Monkey said:
Models and environments are probably completely finished. Textures, lighting, and any shader based effects would come later. But really not too long from now.

Judging by the last Spector quote, there aren't going to be any shaders.

upandaway said:

To be blunt, I've never seen a more stupid marketing decision. You'd think even developers have some sort of insight as to what should be seen and what shouldn't.

And I'm sure they do have that insight, which is why it's easy to assume these AREN'T some crazy early screenshots that will be improved ten fold by launch.

They simply would not release (and create a huge launch event with a ton of hype building the entire month) screenshots this bad if they were going to majorly change or improve in the future. They just wouldn't. And if they did, they would plaster "ALPHA VERSION" or "NOT FINAL PRODUCT" all over them.

_leech_ said:
Judging by the last quote, there aren't going to be any shaders.
There already is.

The paint in the notoriously badly textured area with Mickey jumping. What I wonder is if they are going to add in anymore effects. Rim lighting and EMBM would do wonders for the game.

deleted

Looks like a lot of the "too good to be true" people were right in a way.
I dig the style and I still think we´ve seen nothing yet; but this reveal could have been much bigger.
The character models look fine as they are, but everything else just seems slightly off.
I mean in one shot you can see that there is no sky whatsoever.

But if the gameplay and the atmosphere hold up to the concept this will be a glorious play through. They were working hard for several years on this thing and if it doesn´t show in the graphics it will surely show in the gameplay.

Spike

If there is one thing we should all have learned by now in this gen, is to never judge screenshots. We need to see this in motion to form an opinion either way.

Where is a gameplay trailer?

Oh, and one final note. Remember the outcry on these boards when Batman:AA was revealed. This is the same thing happening over again. Hopefully, they will hit it out of the ballpark like Batman did.

Yeah its funny to see Warren mention Zelda:

6oosw4.png

I just really don't understand a lot of Wii developers. The system forces them often to make a version entirely from scratch for that hardware. Here we have a game being made exclusively for it from the start. Rather than study what has worked best visually on the system and shape your game around that, we get this weird mid-PS2 era looking lazyness.

Especially here. Mickey Mouse is a CARTOON. He is a flat-shaded character(specifically retro black and white Mickey). Are there that many clueless art directors in the industry that have never heard about or seen cel-shading and all the gorgeous games that have used it? Okami must have been an influence for this game certainly and that also uses the technique. Red Steel 2 looks exceptional on the platform using that style as well.

But then, even if they've obvious declined that powerful visual style, that doesnt let them off the hook either:
14xl5ll.jpg

2jg0bp4.jpg

(I see jett had the same idea above)
Say what you want about the absolute bullshit that is Kingdom Hearts story and setting, they NAILED the Disney stuff to such a degree its astounding. Now the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, and so obviously so is the Wii. Theres just no reason behind seeing these awful screenshots other than clumsy art direction and inexperienced texture artists and 3d modellers. The PSP Kingdom Hearts game comes out next year as well, and will no doubt look far more cohesive and smooth than this Wii effort, and thats ridiculous.

To go from some artists amazing concepts to the garbled mess presented in the direct-feed screens is heart-breaking. The "shoulda been on HD" argument doesnt even come into it either. The Wii is more than competent enough to display some amazing scenes. Hell Wind Waker, a fucking 2002 Gamecube game, still looks better than 98% of all Wii titles to date.

Find me these incompetent assclown art directors, drag them here and let me berate them :mad:

/rant

Peff

The fact that they're not letting journalists record the demo is also baffling. It may be just a case of safeguarding GI's exclusivity, but to stage a big reveal for a game like this with no videos and a lot of teasing ("lulz I'm not going to talk about this today n00bz") seems sloppy. That may mean that they just want to start building hype, though I think the final game won't look very different.

BTW, did Dr. Muto really look THAT bad :lol ?

dark_chris

Gold Member
I am disappointed after seeing the original concept art first then seeing the new concept art. Sadly disappointed. I still hold on the flicker of hope for this game by waiting to see it in action.

With ONM quote, pretty safe to say leaked art was never intended for Wii. That is a source of disappointment. We all saw art and expected game to recreate that theme. But it seems it was never imagined that way for Wii by developers.

eXistor

Wow, talk about disappointing. Those screens look terrible. The game could still be loads of fun, but it certainly doesn't look special based on the screens.

MirageDwarf said:
With ONM quote, pretty safe to say leaked art was never intended for Wii. That is a source of disappointment. We all saw art and expected game to recreate that theme. But it seems it was never imagined that way for Wii by developers.

ORRR they changed the concept of the game during pre-production REGARDLESS OF PLATFORM? Maybe?

Is it alright for me to hate on these screens...?

I have a Wii ^_-

What happened to the fuckin' bar? Whats the point of raising the bar, If people are going to pretend it doesnt exist. Like the posters said above me, with CELda, Kingdom Hearts PS2 & PSP... hell even Kingdom Hearts DS there is no reason for Mickey's model and the rest of the world to look like that.

Did the computer vomit or was the levels randomly generated?

upandaway

SirPenguin said:
And I'm sure they do have that insight, which is why it's easy to assume these AREN'T some crazy early screenshots that will be improved ten fold by launch.

They simply would not release (and create a huge launch event with a ton of hype building the entire month) screenshots this bad if they were going to majorly change or improve in the future. They just wouldn't. And if they did, they would plaster "ALPHA VERSION" or "NOT FINAL PRODUCT" all over them.
That might be nice to believe as a reason to explain the whole thing, but I honestly believe the game can be made to look better in the year to come, and if not, delay the fucking thing and make it look better. There is no reason for any developer or any marketer to pass them as acceptable.

Seriously, what kind of model do you guys want? They're going for a retro Mickey that is going to animate really well. You haven't seen it animate.

Sure they could have used the KH Boring Mickey, but why?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Milk Lizard said:
I am dissapoint.
It really, really pains me to share this sentiment.

How could they screw this up so bad?

upandaway said:

I don't really like The Conduit, but it looked just as assy when the first video came out. The first CoD4-Wii screens are shitty too, yet it's supposed to look better than WaW.

It is a stupid marketing decision, but it's not something that's uncommon.

Top Bottom